PDA

View Full Version : Miss USA Probable Suicide

AndyLate
01-31-22, 15:29
Chelsie Kryst, a former Miss USA winner, is thought to have jumped 29 stories to her death. Suicide is always a tragedy and such a selfish act, its sad.

Her family said (in part) "But most importantly, as a daughter, sister, friend, mentor, and colleague – we know her impact will live on."

They really said that...

Andy

Harpoon
01-31-22, 15:53
Mental illness is very sad. I heard she left a suicide note.
After falling 29 stories, that was indeed quite an impact.

KUSA
01-31-22, 16:19
How is it a selfish act? Are we obligated to live for the world?

AndyLate
01-31-22, 16:31

It is the ultimate avoidance of responsibility and complete disregard for everyone else on the planet - the most selfish act there is.

Yes, we owe it to the world to live, generally.

Andy

WillieThom
01-31-22, 17:08

Are you a slow person?

Sam
01-31-22, 17:41
5th post and we're bickering already?

I have really short temper tonight. If someone, anyone returns the punch, I will make this thread commit suicide.

Be nice to each other.

eightmillimeter
01-31-22, 19:19
It is the ultimate avoidance of responsibility and complete disregard for everyone else on the planet - the most selfish act there is.

Andy

Sometimes sure. But as a blanket statement no. I never understood it until a very good friend shot himself this year. Still don’t understand it. But in his case it was far from selfish. We only walk in our own shoes.

jbjh
01-31-22, 19:47
I have know several people who have attempted suicide, and they were quite serious about it. A couple have described not only the absolute mental anguish that brought them to that place, but also physical pain from having such severe depression.

Don’t screw around if you or someone you care about is having a problem. Professional help an make all the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyLate
01-31-22, 20:44
SNIP

Don’t screw around if you or someone you care about is having a problem. Professional help an make all the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, 100%

Don't mistake my feeling it is selfish for being insensitive. I have lost relatives and friends to suicide, each one was tragic and each one left this world too early.

Andy

SteyrAUG
01-31-22, 21:13

Andy

I disagree. If anyone has final say on my existence, it's me.

It's sad when suicide involves misunderstandings, mental disorders and things of the like that would otherwise make the action preventable and unnecessary. But there are times when it would be completely rationale and understandable.

If I did something so terrible (intentional or unintentional) that I could no longer live with myself, that would be justified to me.

If life and things beyond my control (for example I was forced to live in Portland or Detroit) became so intolerable to me that there was no point in going on, then that would be perfectly rationale. If I was dying of an incurable disease and all my good days were behind me and there was nothing but pain and suffering in front of me, I don't know why anyone would want to endure that.

The biggest problem with suicide is it is rarely, a completely reasoned and thought out action. Usually it is done with a false perception of events and an emotional act.

AndyLate
01-31-22, 21:29
I really just wanted to point out the strange choice of wording by the grieving family and hoped it was not insensitive. Did not intend it to be deep.

Andy

markm
01-31-22, 21:39
They really said that...

Effed up, but funny.

SteyrAUG
01-31-22, 22:50
Effed up, but funny.

I could see the family not understanding what they just said, but where in the F was the news editor?

RUTGERS95
02-01-22, 00:24

Andy

disagree and would even say it's incredibly strong and brave given that humanities most basic instinct is self preservation. Not that I advocate for it but definitely not selfish, maybe she just wanted to go out her way? Not all suicides are the result of mental illness. We also don't owe the world $hit. We owe ourselves and loved ones something but we make our own decisions on our own welfare.

Averageman
02-01-22, 05:05
Yeah, it's kind of selfish if you leave a bunch of confused relatives behind. There's no such thing as "closure", but you don't want someone blaming themselves.
All that being said, yes at times it is a valid thing to do. If you're in pain, have no chance of recovery and have nothing but agony ahead, you have my blessing.
We will never know everything involved, bless her if she felt she had to do it.
What a shame.

utahjeepr
02-01-22, 08:32
Some folks got "demons". Real or perceived, they are real enough in the moment. They sometimes feel too powerful to overcome. Especially when viewed through the distorted prism of substance abuse.

I ain't gonna hammer on someone for tapping out. I've lost folks I knew and loved. Hell, I've thought about it myself a time or two. And no, I don't need any "help", nor do I need any encouragement. ;) I'm good.

Just saying I know how depression, PTSD, and pain can sap your will. Especially if combined with "self medication". Sometimes a person just can't keep up the fight anymore.

B Cart
02-01-22, 10:26
I've had friends commit suicide, including someone i know who killed himself just yesterday. My grandpa also killed himself when he found out he had stage 4 cancer (he was 86 so lived a long life). I also do a lot of suicide body recoveries on SAR, so i've dealt with a fair amount of suicide, and seen the effect it has on the family members left behind.

I think it is a selfish act in some ways, especially with how it devastates the family and all those left behind searching for answers, and those who have to clean up the mess. I also realize it's hard for normal people (who don't deal with severe depression and suicidal thoughts) to comprehend the dark depressing state someone is in to feel like suicide is the only way out. I'm grateful i don't deal with those demons.

markm
02-01-22, 10:31
Not that I advocate for it but definitely not selfish, maybe she just wanted to go out her way? Not all suicides are the result of mental illness.

Splattering your dumb ass all over the street is not acceptable. The clean up??... the people traumatized by seeing it?

glocktogo
02-01-22, 10:43
The problem with jumpers is they sometimes hit innocent people who walk into frame at the last second. That's selfish. You also cause mental trauma to those who have to scrape you off the pavement. Drive off a cliff? Endangering 1st responders who have to recover your body. Jackson Pollock your bathroom? Again, messy cleanup and that memory will haunt your family.

I'm not saying there aren't ways you can end your suffering with minimal collateral damage, but there will be some collateral damage regardless of when and where you do it.

RUTGERS95
02-01-22, 11:07
Splattering your dumb ass all over the street is not acceptable. The clean up??... the people traumatized by seeing it?

no doubt, the people present when it happens have a 'oh fk' moment for sure

Averageman
02-01-22, 11:09
The problem with jumpers is they sometimes hit innocent people who walk into frame at the last second. That's selfish. You also cause mental trauma to those who have to scrape you off the pavement. Drive off a cliff? Endangering 1st responders who have to recover your body. Jackson Pollock your bathroom? Again, messy cleanup and that memory will haunt your family.

I'm not saying there aren't ways you can end your suffering with minimal collateral damage, but there will be some collateral damage regardless of when and where you do it.

My Dad had a friend that was married to a maniac, she spent every nickle that came in to the house, best of everything and on and on.
Well, he went into debt, then downsized, but she didn't stop spending, so along come bankruptcy. So, She packed up the kids and left him holding the bag, everything was in his name. He owned all the debt.
He went down and test drove a Cadillac, bought a bottle of good scotch and some ice. He parked the Caddie in the Garage put on some Sinatra and drank his Scotch with the engine running and the door shut.
True, someone had to scoop him out of the seat a week later, but it seemed like a smooth Out to me.

B Cart
02-01-22, 11:12
My Dad had a friend that was married to a maniac, she spent every nickle that came in to the house, best of everything and on and on.
Well, he went into debt, then downsized, but she didn't stop spending, so along come bankruptcy. So, She packed up the kids and left him holding the bag, everything was in his name. He owned all the debt.
He went down and test drove a Cadillac, bought a bottle of good scotch and some ice. He parked the Caddie in the Garage put on some Sinatra and drank his Scotch with the engine running and the door shut.
True, someone had to scoop him out of the seat a week later, but it seemed like a smooth Out to me.

Wow, if you're gonna do it, that does seem like a pretty smooth option...

RUTGERS95
02-01-22, 11:28

hope he changed his life insurance beneficiary so she didn't get it

.45fan
02-01-22, 11:43
Wow, if you're gonna do it, that does seem like a pretty smooth option...I bet the car dealer disagrees.

.45fan
02-01-22, 11:46
If you want out try to not financially or physically harm others.

I believe it should be up to the person if they want to live or die.

TomMcC
02-01-22, 12:42
Self murder is still murder. Some people hold to different propositional truth statements than libertarians or maybe even nihilists here and there, thus the different views.

It's very much a sad thing when a young person sees no hope beyond dying.

I'm glad nobody was directly under her, they probably would have died too. Is it selfish to jump out of a tall building in a city?

titsonritz
02-01-22, 13:53

And then there is the David Carradine special.

KUSA
02-01-22, 14:08
If you want out try to not financially or physically harm others.

I believe it should be up to the person if they want to live or die.

I agree with this. And don’t leave a mess.

KUSA
02-01-22, 14:12
Self murder is still murder.
It’s actually not.
If I take your life then I took something that didn’t belong to me. If I take my life then I only took what was already mine.

We all will die. If I choose to go on my terms then it’s my business.

Business_Casual
02-01-22, 14:28
It’s actually not.
If I take your life then I took something that didn’t belong to me. If I take my life then I only took what was already mine.

This is why our country has problems. People can’t even agree simple concepts.

glocktogo
02-01-22, 14:32

We can't even agree with a dictionary, because words allegedly no longer mean what long established dictionaries say they mean. :rolleyes:

TomMcC
02-01-22, 14:36
It’s actually not.

And we have different ultimate propositions that inform our lives. Read my second sentence.

RUTGERS95
02-01-22, 14:42
And then there is the David Carradine special.

Lol....well played

KUSA
02-01-22, 15:18

It’s been that way since the beginning of time.

markm
02-01-22, 16:17
Is this going to be an okie iron sight thread? :jester:

The_War_Wagon
02-01-22, 16:22

Andy

"Taking your own life. Interesting expression - taking it from who? Once it’s over, it’s not you who’ll miss it. Your own death is something that happens to everybody else. Your life is not your own. Keep your hands off it.” - Sherlock, s4e2 - The Lying Detective -

prepare
02-01-22, 18:38
It is what it is.

Maybe we're better off without the people that can't handle life and all their drama.

Still kind of sad though. Especially when you see value in someone and they don't even see enough value in the gift they've been given to make through the struggles of life.

AndyLate
02-01-22, 19:02
Is this going to be an okie iron sight thread? :jester:

Well, none of us has committed suicide, so there are no SMEs.

Andy

SteyrAUG
02-01-22, 20:45
Yeah, it's kind of selfish if you leave a bunch of confused relatives behind. There's no such thing as "closure", but you don't want someone blaming themselves.
All that being said, yes at times it is a valid thing to do. If you're in pain, have no chance of recovery and have nothing but agony ahead, you have my blessing.
We will never know everything involved, bless her if she felt she had to do it.
What a shame.

I've known a lot of people so I've known a few who killed themselves.

Some were completely unnecessary because what they feared wasn't even true or nearly as bad as they believed, some I completely understood and I didn't see an obvious "easy" alternative but most were just confusing and everyone was at a loss for what the hell they were thinking. In every case there were "problems" but hell everyone has problems.

SteyrAUG
02-01-22, 20:50

Yeah, there are better ways. And if it is absolutely necessary, you've put a lot of thought into it. If it's ever me, I'm going out like a girl...in a bathtub and a bunch of pills.

HKGuns
02-01-22, 20:51
It is what it is.

Maybe we're better off without the people that can't handle life and all their drama.

Still kind of sad though.

I see it as one less social Justice warrior lawyer in the world.

I guess I’m just getting hard and jaded by all the bullshit.

AKDoug
02-02-22, 00:34
Yeah, there are better ways. And if it is absolutely necessary, you've put a lot of thought into it. If it's ever me, I'm going out like a girl...in a bathtub and a bunch of pills.

Yep. I sure wish my buddy Ron hadn't shot the top of his head off with a .44, in a place where my 8 y.o. son found him on his way home from school. It was selfish f**king bullshit to put my son through that.

WillieThom
02-02-22, 01:10
Yep. I sure wish my buddy Ron hadn't shot the top of his head off with a .44, in a place where my 8 y.o. son found him on his way home from school. It was selfish f**king bullshit to put my son through that.

And that is just one example of how suicide is selfish. Sadly, some folks get it. And some don’t.

SteyrAUG
02-02-22, 03:30
And that is just one example of how suicide is selfish. Sadly, some folks get it. And some don’t.

Just as there are horrible people, there are horrible people who commit suicide. Just not enough of them do it.

A few examples.

People that force police officers to shoot them because they don't have the sack to do it themselves.

People who don't care who dies with them and jump off buildings, close their eyes in traffic and the sort.

When horrible people die, they could care less if the entire world dies with them. If Hitler really cared about Germany (he didn't) he wouldn't have waited until the Russians were raping the shit out of Berlin before putting a bullet in his brain. He actually felt the Germans had failed HIM and deserved to die. This is the mind of a horrible person who has arrived at the end of their own existence.

It's right up there with those souless, feral humans who murder their entire family before killing themselves.

There people don't care who they kill, much less who they traumatize. Some stage their death to make their families be the ones to find them "because that will teach them" and shit like that. I've seen a few and I know the details of far too many.

You are born with nothing so it never makes sense to me the people who lose everything and then kill themselves. I guess they never figured out that "stuff" is to make life a little nicer but life isn't about just stuff.

I've knew a guy who killed himself because his entire family died in a car crash and he didn't want to go on without them. I guess I understand that one, that has to be a tough pill to swallow and the harder you loved them the more pain you feel. Thousands of guys would have been onto "next female and maybe some do over kids."

Plenty on this forum understand sacrifice, and if your deliberate death is done to protect loved ones or ensure some world changing outcome, then I guess I get it. I once had a guy tell me a really good way to tell if it is the right time to take your own life is when it's the last thing you actually want to do but it is obviously necessary.

Again, the saddest are the ones that never had to happen. Followed closely by the ones that really need to happen but never do. I've got a list a mile long of people who should kill themselves instead of screwing up the entire world and hurting innocent people.

RUTGERS95
02-02-22, 08:10
lack of feelings can be virtuous

the guy with his family dying I could see and empathize with him. God that would be awful, cannot blame or judge him. RIP

glocktogo
02-02-22, 11:44

Remember to turn on the vent fan if you do, just in case it takes a while to find you. ;)

Esq.
02-02-22, 11:45
I see it as one less social Justice warrior lawyer in the world.

I guess I’m just getting hard and jaded by all the bullshit.

100% my take as well. No F's to give.

Pappabear
02-02-22, 13:36
It's a very tuff concept, suicide. I have a stepson that threatens suicide often so he can have drug money. The money trail has been cut off and he threatens to off himself, he just doesn't have the nerve or stupidity or whatever it takes to kill oneself. He refuses to get help, he complains of mental illness but when we suggest going to therapy "WHAT DO YOU THINK IM CRAZY". Totally impossible very disturbed kid that had a hard life.

We expect a fentynal overdose will take him one day and hope if it happens he finds peace, because right now he is living in hell. Suicide is very complicated. I am not looking for advice, we have tried it, this has been going on for 10 years +.

PB

SteyrAUG
02-02-22, 18:00
It's a very tuff concept, suicide. I have a stepson that threatens suicide often so he can have drug money. The money trail has been cut off and he threatens to off himself, he just doesn't have the nerve or stupidity or whatever it takes to kill oneself. He refuses to get help, he complains of mental illness but when we suggest going to therapy "WHAT DO YOU THINK IM CRAZY". Totally impossible very disturbed kid that had a hard life.

We expect a fentynal overdose will take him one day and hope if it happens he finds peace, because right now he is living in hell. Suicide is very complicated. I am not looking for advice, we have tried it, this has been going on for 10 years +.

PB

Damn man, really sorry for you and your family. That is some horrible shit.

Pappabear
02-02-22, 18:12
Damn man, really sorry for you and your family. That is some horrible shit.

Thanks SteyrAUG

PB

DG23
02-02-22, 21:44
Remember to turn on the vent fan if you do, just in case it takes a while to find you. ;)

When my grandmother died (natural causes) if was a while before my aunt discovered the body / what happened. She mentioned how she knew something was wayyyy wrong by the smell when she walked into grandmas house.

Also messed her up pretty bad seeing what all the little rat dogs grandma kept had done... (they did not 'starve' during the few weeks before the body was found)

Grandma was pretty damn fat and her dogs were pretty small. Was a pretty big mess.

Fortunately for me, I am a little guy and my dogs are huge. I figure that at BEST I would last about two weeks before being completely transformed into Doberman turds. :)

One of the next door neighbors I used to have off'ed himself a few years back. Really nice guy, very friendly. Used to chat with him every time I saw him outside. Shot himself in the head with a damn .25 someodd shit pistol. It didn't really 'work' so well for him and he ended up on a machine for a few weeks before they finally ended life support. He and his family suffered a lot due that handgun being so damn wimpy.

SteyrAUG
02-02-22, 22:00
One of the next door neighbors I used to have off'ed himself a few years back. Really nice guy, very friendly. Used to chat with him every time I saw him outside. Shot himself in the head with a damn .25 someodd shit pistol. It didn't really 'work' so well for him and he ended up on a machine for a few weeks before they finally ended life support. He and his family suffered a lot due that handgun being so damn wimpy.

Worst I've heard of was a guy who put a shotgun in his mouth, took part of his face off and survived.

Averageman
02-02-22, 23:13
In the seventies, my dad was asked to a crime scene where a guy capped his wife and her lover. He used a 12 gauge inside of a ten-year-old single wide trailer. Apparently he sat in the closet waiting for them. After completing that he took a seat and put the barrel in his mouth and pulled the trigger.
My Dad was a Corpsman at Chosin and he had seen a lot of bad stuff, but that one shook him up.

prepare
02-03-22, 06:08
What some people don't seem to get and struggle with is a lack of meaning. Thats because its up to you to create meaning. It's not inherent and you just don't go "get it". You have to make it and its different for everybody.

3 AE
02-03-22, 07:29
What some people don't seem to get and struggle with is a lack of meaning. Thats because its up to you to create meaning. It's not inherent and you just don't go "get it". You have to make it and its different for everybody.

So true. With a whole new generation weaned on the internet. It's like they're all clamoring to be the next "Internet Celebrity/Influencer" When they see their "Likes" decreasing, their life has no meaning and off to the therapist they go. I want to scream "Shut the damn cell phone off and start living and doing something truly productive. It's like the whole world is on this "Mutual Admiration" road to nowhere.

john armond
02-03-22, 09:21
Worked with a rookie officer who staged her suicide to look like an on-duty murder. I won't give her name, but open source information shows:

she was twice divorced,
was in a failing relationship and broke up with her boyfriend two days before the suicide (he had to call the police on her),
had three phone calls with her ex in the immediate time before her suicide, one a couple hours earlier, one from the office just before leaving in her squad car and one from a payphone that ended moments before the shooting,
was looking for another job,
was being treated for adjustment disorder with mixed emotional features and chronic depression for years (170 visits in 4-5 years leading up to the suicide),
was on Zoloft then changed to Effexor soon before her death,
stated to another ex-boyfriend five nights before the suicide that she wanted to go for a swim in the ocean and never come back,
made suicide references/attempts while growing up including tying a belt around her neck and taking a bunch of pills resulting in her stomach being pumped
was referred to a psychiatrist by her regular Dr. for having suicidal thoughts days before the suicide.
even laid out a story to her father in the days before the suicide laying out a drug conspiracy in the exact area she suicided

This officer even made the statement that being killed in the line of duty was the best way to go out shortly before the suicide. At one point in this officer's nine or ten month career, I told the chief not to assign me to work with her again.

This was in the late 90s. Since then her family has spent hundreds of thousands trying to get the ruling overturned, two autopsies performed, political careers been built on the case, the case has been re-opened/reclassified by the new DAs office and a non-law enforcement state agency (this has to do with death benefits, but the SBI still states suicide), retired FBI agents have investigated, books have been written, I think there were tv investigative episodes about it, officers within the department have been accused of committing the murder, accusations of a cover-up to save real estate prices, ect.

While searching the internet, the last article I saw written about it was November 2021. I don't think anything has actually been done or looked at since 2013 or 2014.

Edited for spelling

TomMcC
02-03-22, 10:41

Many aren't particularly good at existentialism. Maybe they need a college level course to get them going in the right direction. Many just wind up as nihilists.

Caduceus
02-03-22, 19:05
Worst I've heard of was a guy who put a shotgun in his mouth, took part of his face off and survived.

I've treated that.

Dude walked himself off the ambulance into the trauma bay.

GTF425
02-03-22, 19:20
I've treated that.

Dude walked himself off the ambulance into the trauma bay.

It's kinda remarkable how common that is. Or when they only damage the frontal lobe and ballistically convert to a new baseline GCS Schiavo.

SteyrAUG
02-03-22, 19:55
Many aren't particularly good at existentialism. Maybe they need a college level course to get them going in the right direction. Many just wind up as nihilists.

Nihilists are just lazy. If you can't put in the basic work to make your life acceptable to you then you literally aren't even doing minimal effort stuff. And here we are talking about average people with average problems.

That people who essentially have "no real problems" need anti depressants baffles me to no end. I don't want to say Darwin is trying his hardest because I think most of these people could easily get their shit together and live happy and meaningful lives...but you can't just sit on your hands and wait for it to happen to you. You aren't gonna wake up one day, go to the mailbox and find out you have been elected CEO of some Fortune 500 company...anything good...you have to go make that happen.

One of the big keys of life is this, if something is worth having...everyone probably wants it so that means tons of competition and that means you better know how to compete...so don't expect a participation award on this one.

Find out what makes you happy and go make that crap happen. Even if all you are doing is "working towards that goal" that is still better than sitting around depressed because your life isn't how you expected it to turn out.

Gabriel556
02-03-22, 20:00
John, we had a local cop do the same thing back in 2015. His was an attempt to cover up some serious wrongdoings but it still took a manhunt and investigation to figure out.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-fox-lake-police-shooting-one-year-met-20160831-story.html

john armond
02-03-22, 20:08
John, we had a local cop do the same thing back in 2015. His was an attempt to cover up some serious wrongdoings but it still took a manhunt and investigation to figure out.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-fox-lake-police-shooting-one-year-met-20160831-story.html

I remember when that one happened.

Adrenaline_6
02-04-22, 08:36
Nihilists are just lazy. If you can't put in the basic work to make your life acceptable to you then you literally aren't even doing minimal effort stuff. And here we are talking about average people with average problems.

That people who essentially have "no real problems" need anti depressants baffles me to no end. I don't want to say Darwin is trying his hardest because I think most of these people could easily get their shit together and live happy and meaningful lives...but you can't just sit on your hands and wait for it to happen to you. You aren't gonna wake up one day, go to the mailbox and find out you have been elected CEO of some Fortune 500 company...anything good...you have to go make that happen.

One of the big keys of life is this, if something is worth having...everyone probably wants it so that means tons of competition and that means you better know how to compete...so don't expect a participation award on this one.

Find out what makes you happy and go make that crap happen. Even if all you are doing is "working towards that goal" that is still better than sitting around depressed because your life isn't how you expected it to turn out.

Therein lies the problem though right? Many parents shield their kids from disappointment and failure. They reward mediocrity and call it special. Society shuns most forms of competition and call it bullying. Then those kids get into the real world and have zero clue how it really works...can't deal with the idea that they aren't that special after all...When they fail and can't compete, have no clue on how to deal with it and go into depression...and except for the strong ones who figure it out and adapt, have no will to compete or in their mind how to compete whatsoever. It is a foreign concept to them. Fear of losing the competition combined with the brought up notion that this is unacceptable behavior to begin with, puts them in the loser sandbox from the get go.

SteyrAUG
02-04-22, 18:52
Therein lies the problem though right? Many parents shield their kids from disappointment and failure. They reward mediocrity and call it special. Society shuns most forms of competition and call it bullying. Then those kids get into the real world and have zero clue how it really works...can't deal with the idea that they aren't that special after all...When they fail and can't compete, have no clue on how to deal with it and go into depression...and except for the strong ones who figure it out and adapt, have no will to compete or in their mind how to compete whatsoever. It is a foreign concept to them. Fear of losing the competition combined with the brought up notion that this is unacceptable behavior to begin with, puts them in the loser sandbox from the get go.

Yep, it can be a vicious double edge sword. The parents end up with a middle age "forever" roommate kid but by then it's probably too late to do any meaningful corrections.

Glad I grew up when I did. And you don't need to get your ass kicked to turn out normal, you only need to understand that it isn't hard to get your ass kicked in certain environments and you need to act accordingly.

Averageman
02-04-22, 19:06
In the sixties parents were a lot less paranoid and you got a lot of freedom.
A stingray bicycle, a bologna sandwich at lunch and all summer long to do pretty much whatever I wanted.

AKjeff
02-04-22, 19:30
In the sixties parents were a lot less paranoid and you got a lot of freedom.
A stingray bicycle, a bologna sandwich at lunch and all summer long to do pretty much whatever I wanted.

That still happened in the '70's.

SteyrAUG
02-04-22, 20:07
That still happened in the '70's.

And early 80s.

john armond
02-04-22, 20:09
And early 80s.

With a BMX instead of a Stingray though.

SteyrAUG
02-04-22, 20:46
With a BMX instead of a Stingray though.

Or in my house a Stingray that you put BMX handlebars and seat on. Also slim jims instead of a bologna sandwich and a yoohoo. Riding our bikes 1.2 miles to the local general store gave us lots of snack options.

Swear when I was a kid it seemed like we went 5 miles. Last time I was there it felt kinda dumb to drive anywhere. I probably said "let's just walk" 90% of the time.

john armond
02-04-22, 21:06
Or in my house a Stingray that you put BMX handlebars and seat on. Also slim jims instead of a bologna sandwich and a yoohoo. Riding our bikes 1.2 miles to the local general store gave us lots of snack options.

Swear when I was a kid it seemed like we went 5 miles. Last time I was there it felt kinda dumb to drive anywhere. I probably said "let's just walk" 90% of the time.

I’m a couple years younger than you, best as I can tell, but yeah…come home when the street lights come on. Then eventually it became, don’t wake us up when you get home.

Averageman
02-05-22, 08:08
I used to ride my bike 17 miles one way to go to the beach. Swim, check out the girls, go see my grandma and then ride home.
It was a great system; I met a lot of hot girls one town over, got to swim and I got to visit grandma. When I got home, if asked "I went Swimming."
That worked out until Grandma accidently dimed me out to my Dad.

SteyrAUG
02-05-22, 16:55
I used to ride my bike 17 miles one way to go to the beach. Swim, check out the girls, go see my grandma and then ride home.
It was a great system; I met a lot of hot girls one town over, got to swim and I got to visit grandma. When I got home, if asked "I went Swimming."
That worked out until Grandma accidently dimed me out to my Dad.

Why would your grandma or dad care that you were checking out girls? I mean that is a teenagers default program.

Averageman
02-06-22, 08:00
Why would your grandma or dad care that you were checking out girls? I mean that is a teenagers default program.

They were more concerned with the 30+ round trip miles.

Mysteryman
02-06-22, 16:49
Worked with a rookie officer who staged her suicide to look like an on-duty murder. I won't give her name, but open source information shows:

she was twice divorced,
was in a failing relationship and broke up with her boyfriend two days before the suicide (he had to call the police on her),
had three phone calls with her ex in the immediate time before her suicide, one a couple hours earlier, one from the office just before leaving in her squad car and one from a payphone that ended moments before the shooting,
was looking for another job,
was being treated for adjustment disorder with mixed emotional features and chronic depression for years (170 visits in 4-5 years leading up to the suicide),
was on Zoloft then changed to Effexor soon before her death,
stated to another ex-boyfriend five nights before the suicide that she wanted to go for a swim in the ocean and never come back,
made suicide references/attempts while growing up including tying a belt around her neck and taking a bunch of pills resulting in her stomach being pumped
was referred to a psychiatrist by her regular Dr. for having suicidal thoughts days before the suicide.
even laid out a story to her father in the days before the suicide laying out a drug conspiracy in the exact area she suicided

This officer even made the statement that being killed in the line of duty was the best way to go out shortly before the suicide. At one point in this officer's nine or ten month career, I told the chief not to assign me to work with her again.

This was in the late 90s. Since then her family has spent hundreds of thousands trying to get the ruling overturned, two autopsies performed, political careers been built on the case, the case has been re-opened/reclassified by the new DAs office and a non-law enforcement state agency (this has to do with death benefits, but the SBI still states suicide), retired FBI agents have investigated, books have been written, I think there were tv investigative episodes about it, officers within the department have been accused of committing the murder, accusations of a cover-up to save real estate prices, ect.

While searching the internet, the last article I saw written about it was November 2021. I don't think anything has actually been done or looked at since 2013 or 2014.

Edited for spelling

And this special needs individual carried a gun and badge... How the actual f*ck does someone that screwed up pass the psych eval to be a cop?!

100% accurate!! Life is set on easy mode with no consequences for actions. Then when there are consequences they can't cope.

Well said. I doubt Ms whatever she was had any real problems. Life set on easy mode and she couldn't cope. Not our place to argue or debate why she couldn't or wouldn't cope. Suicide is often seen as a waste when looking from the outside in. We don't have the same view as those doing it and will never understand their rationale.

As for suicide being selfish. Everything you do is selfish. Holding the door for someone serves you FIRST then the other person. The difference comes in the form of reward. Holding the door to feel good is a small reward for you and a slightly greater reward for the other individual. Spending your savings on a stranger who needs it would be a small reward for you and a very large reward for the stranger. Both acts are still selfish, all acts are selfish. The reward ratio is the difference. Suicide is no different. To add to that, no one owes anyone or the world anything with regards to living. Your life, your choice.

TomMcC
02-06-22, 17:31
How cynical is the mind of man, with no hope of actual change. I can at least respect the nihilist, he at least understands what death will make abundantly clear to the deluded existentialist.