PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Colt 6721

Leadslinger585
02-02-22, 20:07
I've got a lightly used Colt 6721 with maybe 300 rounds brass case PMC 55gr through it.

I don't really want an AR in this configuration (16" heavy barrel, 1:9 twist, A2 front sight base) and I'm wanting to strip it down to parts for a build.

Before I do so, I want to ask: am I destroying a collectable? If not - what are parts worth?

Thanks!
J

02-02-22, 21:48
The few I’ve seen always languish on the rack covered in dust for years before selling for less than a 6920.

RUTGERS95
02-03-22, 01:13
I've got a lightly used Colt 6721 with maybe 300 rounds brass case PMC 55gr through it.

I don't really want an AR in this configuration (16" heavy barrel, 1:9 twist, A2 front sight base) and I'm wanting to strip it down to parts for a build.

Before I do so, I want to ask: am I destroying a collectable? If not - what are parts worth?

Thanks!
J

zero collectibility, who the hell wants a heavy 1:9 barrel with a A post?

Stickman
02-03-22, 12:53

Thanks!
J

I carried a 6721 on duty for awhile, its certainly not the lightest thing in the world when you compare it to other ARs. However, if you have ever carried a beltfed, the 6721 seems pretty nice.

The barrel from the 6721 is a 1-9, and known to be exceedingly accurate. I wouldn't get rid of the barrel, I would hold onto it for trade material personally.

DG23
02-03-22, 19:10
The few I’ve seen always languish on the rack covered in dust for years before selling for less than a 6920.

Not at gunstores here that stock that sort of stuff. They be a bit higher than 6920's...

Leadslinger585
02-04-22, 23:40
Well I ordered some Centurion receiver sets, so I'm thinking I'll send it off to Trajectory and have the FSB shaved down and a Faxxon carbon fiber rail installed. To my thinking it may offset the weight of the barrel and balance better. I'll shoot 55 gr ammo though it exclusively and using it as a "training gun".

Or is this thinking flawed?

RUTGERS95
02-04-22, 23:55
Well I ordered some Centurion receiver sets, so I'm thinking I'll send it off to Trajectory and have the FSB shaved down and a Faxxon carbon fiber rail installed. To my thinking it may offset the weight of the barrel and balance better. I'll shoot 55 gr ammo though it exclusively and using it as a "training gun".

Or is this thinking flawed?

of course it's flawed as you can buy barrels cheap. Just go find a barrel you'd like and swap it out. Hell, BA 14.5 pencil barrels were 115 tyd last week! By the time you send that barrel, pay for work, shipped back why wouldn't you as the cost won't be too dissimilar? You already bought the receiver sets and are primed for a handguard, just complete the fker:)

rifleman8
02-05-22, 06:25
The 6721 does enjoy a modest following - kind of like the Winchester '73 Short Rifle (relatively heavy) vs. a '73 Carbine, if you'll forgive a 150 year old analogy. Apart from those who just plain like the 6721 configuration, I think it fits in some "grand-fathered" classification of "factory HBAR" in a couple of States back east making it desirable to those unfortunate citizens who are not allowed to go out and buy other configurations. I could be way off on this - hope someone with actual knowledge of law and legal definitions in those jurisdictions chimes in.

Any decent, un-messed with Colt has some collector / re-sale value. Those values tend to be moving targets that shift with the times. Consider not "messing" with your factory upper - build a couple of uppers the way you want them from the start - You'll spend less money, get the configuration you want (as opposed to an assembly of compromises), and still have the option of pulling a factory upper from the back of your closet and Viola - a decent, un-messed with Colt.

Some words of wisdom form this forum to keep in mind - ".....nobody wants to buy your Frankengun....." point being plan your builds or permanent modifications accordingly.

Just my $.02

Cheers.

flenna
02-05-22, 07:14
Molon has some accuracy tests posted here somewhere and the 6721 was especially accurate. Free float it, scope it and you have a nice DMR set up.

ST911
02-05-22, 08:40
Molon has some accuracy tests posted here somewhere and the 6721 was especially accurate.

As I recall, it was a particularly good 6721 used as a control across his usual testing.

6721 barrels were pretty good, if the twist was compatible for you.

S197
02-05-22, 09:41

Thanks!
J

The hbar will hold tighter groups under mild to heavy use compared to other profiles. 1/9 twist works very well with 55gr rounds. Build or buy another upper, and don’t waste your money on BA or Faxon. WOA offers a SS house barrel that will out shoot any BA or Faxon at near the same cost. Watch this sub on Reddit, they always have vendor sale adds posted, but you have to be quick.. https://www.reddit.com/r/gundeals/

Also, After a while you will miss that old KISS A2.

02-05-22, 09:44
1/9 is gtg with 69 grain.

A 6721 barrel holds its own.

ViniVidivici
02-05-22, 12:11
Only way shaving the FSB makes money sense is if you do it yourself. Ain't hard.

Won't cut any significant weight, but will allow you to FF it.

Hell, get a VTAC rail and you won't have to mess with the barrel nut.

rifleman8
02-05-22, 16:38
Hell, get a VTAC rail and you won't have to mess with the barrel nut.[/QUOTE]

You could also think about a Daniel Defense or A.R.M.S. and not mess with the Bbl. nut OR shave it.

Leadslinger585
02-05-22, 19:08
Only way shaving the FSB makes money sense is if you do it yourself. Ain't hard.

Won't cut any significant weight, but will allow you to FF it.

Hell, get a VTAC rail and you won't have to mess with the barrel nut.

I like them, but as far as I know OOS everywhere and the Troy Industries site doesn't work.

WRAM1
02-06-22, 08:32
I have a 6721 that I picked up as a patrol rifle ~ 2002. I added an Aimpoint Comp M2 and a KA RAS. It is far more accurate of a carbine than I am a shooter and as mentioned, it stabilizes 69gr very well. A couple of years ago, I read somewhere that Colt 1:9 barrels are really close to being 1:8 twist and will stabilize heavier rounds. I don’t know if this is true or not but intent to put some 77 gr rounds down range to see. That would be nice, but to be realistic, I don’t shoot much 77gr at all due to availability and cost. Most everything I shoot is 55gr-69gr so this barrel works fine for everything I do. That being said, I have thought about free floating it and adding a LPVO on it as I think that would make an exceptionally nice platform.

ViniVidivici
02-07-22, 09:11
I like them, but as far as I know OOS everywhere and the Troy Industries site doesn't work.

Seems as though they're not being made anymore, which is unfortunate, they're great

Looking around, these guys say they have them in stock:
https://vtsupply-com.3dcartstores.com/Troy-VTAC-BattleRail-Forearm-Battle-Rail-AR-15-Handguard-AR15_p_2274.html

markm
02-07-22, 09:26
6721 was my first AR. During the AWB my Dad got it on L.E. letterhead for me. (I wasn't having a neutered post ban gun at all) The barrel was the least of the downsides to it. It had the ramped carrier and large trigger pin holes.

I wish I still had that gun just for sentimental value.