PDA

View Full Version : Another minor M17/M18 issue...

Slater
02-04-22, 09:36
Can't say that I've ever heard of this happening on the civilian variants:

"Here at Ft Leonard Wood, we’ve noticed that the M17/M18 MHS (pistol) load chamber indicator (LCI) is remaining in the up position, even after a good cleaning.

Soldiers need to check the LCI for carbon buildup, which can cause the LCI to get stuck in the up position.

If the LCI will not go down, operators should contact their 91F maintainer. Cleaning the LCI isn’t an operator task and needs maintenance support to complete.

Maintainers will remove the rear sight and clean the carbon out of the LCI channel to allow the LCI to function normally.

If that doesn’t solve the problem, the LCI spring, NSN 1005-01-664-9733, may need to be replaced.

Keeping up on pistol cleaning and attention to detail prevent malfunctions."

https://www.psmagazine.army.mil/News/Article/2921604/m17m18-mhs-excess-carbon-buildup-on-the-lci/

opngrnd
02-04-22, 12:22
I'd love to know how a batch of of M17s would hold how to a few gradual 2,000 round cycles.

Alpha-17
02-05-22, 09:10
Interesting. When I installed the mounting plate and optic on my P320-M17, I was surprised by how much gunk was built up in the LCI and under the cover plate. Not surprising that a few years in, the .mil guns have built up enough to start causing problems.

HKGuns
02-05-22, 09:19
I'd love to know how a batch of of M17s would hold how to a few gradual 2,000 round cycles.

What?

opngrnd
02-05-22, 09:34
What?

I'd like to see a batch of M17s actually taken out and shot for 6k or 8k rounds to better understand the issues of the platform. But in practical training, not mag dumped to hit a round count. Put a batch of them through enough quals to find out what actually happens to them with normal wear and tear. M17s that I see with aren't going through thousands of rounds at a time, therefore being a few years in with them doesn't always tell us much.

HKGuns
02-05-22, 09:46
I'd like to see a batch of M17s actually taken out and shot for 6k or 8k rounds to better understand the issues of the platform. But in practical training, not mag dumped to hit a round count. Put a batch of them through enough quals to find out what actually happens to them with normal wear and tear. M17s that I see with aren't going through thousands of rounds at a time, therefore being a few years in with them doesn't always tell us much.

Got it, thanks.

My MK18 hasn’t been shot yet, so we shall see if it manifests itself when I get it out to shoot.

I toss the barrels and other metal small parts in my ultrasonic cleaner so it’s unlikely to happen.