PDA

View Full Version : High Round Count HK?

Arch
02-04-22, 15:03
Has anyone here ran a significant round count (25k +) through their HK?

I would be interested in reading about your experiences.

Defaultmp3
02-04-22, 15:28
I have 2 guns over 20k.

Have you read the old pistol-training endurance tests for the HK45 and the P30?

Pappabear
02-04-22, 18:37
I heard one gun ran like 90,000 rounds. That is badass P30 is legit

PB

02-04-22, 18:38
Todd Green did with a P30.

There was a guy on PF who tried but ended up with tendonitis in his trigger finger and actually caused himself some pretty significant setbacks because of it.

I would highly recommend some good trigger work before starting on that journey!:D

titsonritz
02-04-22, 19:37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN_ziyv_xiI

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2017/09/glock-17-pistol-torture-test/

raydoctor
02-05-22, 11:20
I don't keep logs on my pistols but I have a P7M13 that has seen 90-100K. It was one of my two main practice/class guns for a over 15 years and saw the lions share of the rounds. It went back to HK for re-barreling at about 80K. I also had to replace the slide shortly after it's return from HK due to a weld fracture.

Corse
02-05-22, 12:15
I don't keep logs on my pistols but I have a P7M13 that has seen 90-100K. It was one of my two main practice/class guns for a over 15 years and saw the lions share of the rounds. It went back to HK for re-barreling at about 80K. I also had to replace the slide shortly after it's return from HK due to a weld fracture.

And I’m afraid to shoot my P7M8 too much because I’m afraid to break it.

Adrenaline_6
02-07-22, 08:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN_ziyv_xiI

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2017/09/glock-17-pistol-torture-test/

pistol-training broke the G17 at 71,260 rounds...and it had a lower round count per day at the range average than the P30 by a longshot. (478 vs 682). https://pistol-training.com/gen4-glock-17-endurance-test-month-16/

In fact, the P30 passed a 2002 rounds in one day range trip. No cleaning prior and no lubrication once shoot started.: https://pistol-training.com/p30-update/

Ultimately due to high round count per day it was the heat that broke the P30. If the round count was lower per day, I reckon it would still be going.

https://pistol-training.com/p30-thursday-week-forty-two/

YVK
02-07-22, 08:54

Mine started to break parts at around 8000 rounds. H&K doesn't support the gun anymore. I wouldn't be shooting one much either.

In regards to the original question, my first and only remaining P30 is around 25K mark. I dunno what to write about. It stopped breaking return springs prematurely once I quit using heavy return springs. The surface treatment wore off more than I like; if I continued to use it, I'd either get new panels or have old stippled. At 22K I sent it to Rick Holm for inspection, he didn't find much except for a lot of dirt inside. I replaced a recoil assembly around that time but I now am not sure why I did it. That's about it.

Corse
02-07-22, 09:40
Mine started to break parts at around 8000 rounds. H&K doesn't support the gun anymore. I wouldn't be shooting one much either.

In regards to the original question, my first and only remaining P30 is around 25K mark. I dunno what to write about. It stopped breaking return springs prematurely once I quit using heavy return springs. The surface treatment wore off more than I like; if I continued to use it, I'd either get new panels or have old stippled. At 22K I sent it to Rick Holm for inspection, he didn't find much except for a lot of dirt inside. I replaced a recoil assembly around that time but I now am not sure why I did it. That's about it.

The P7 is a shoot once in a while gun for me now, which is sad. What trigger return springs did you end with? The P30, is my favorite overall 9mm, but it’s lack of a reasonably priced RDS solution holds it back.

Adrenaline_6
02-07-22, 09:46
The P7 is a shoot once in a while gun for me now, which is sad. What trigger return springs did you end with? The P30, is my favorite overall 9mm, but it’s lack of a reasonably priced RDS solution holds it back.

Yea...that hollowed out channel in the slide screws it all up.

YVK
02-07-22, 09:50

Agree, the dot life got me spoiled too. I am not sure that I like what I see dot-available for P30 even outside of price considerations, and I don't think that factory option is coming ever.

Most of mine were light TRS. I used intermediate too but didn't find much difference.

Adrenaline_6
02-07-22, 09:58
Agree, the dot life got me spoiled too. I am not sure that I like what I see dot-available for P30 even outside of price considerations, and I don't think that factory option is coming ever.

Most of mine were light TRS. I used intermediate too but didn't find much difference.

The TRS doesn't do much for the trigger pull. A lighter hammer spring and the HK light FPBS spring helps though. https://hkparts.net/product/firing-pin-block-spring-enhanced-p18110.htm/

YVK
02-07-22, 11:10
No it doesn't. I was looking to see how it affected reset and pre-travel to break weight transition. In addition, I got 4.1 parts in it and I believe that intermediate trs was a part of that kit.

Arch
02-07-22, 13:25
My HKs have very low round counts, and was wondering what parts I should keep on hand since I've started shooting them much more frequently. It looks like I should stock TRS.

02-07-22, 15:03
I’m considering a P30 LEM model, is the trigger return spring breaking something to worry about with that model?
Anything else to keep in mind?

gsd2053
02-07-22, 15:46
That's alright. Some scamp will probably have it after the nuclear winter of WW3. He will use it to keep man kind going. Never knowing what he has. Because there will be no inter net to look it up on.

YVK
02-08-22, 01:02
My HKs have very low round counts, and was wondering what parts I should keep on hand since I've started shooting them much more frequently. It looks like I should stock TRS.

I’m considering a P30 LEM model, is the trigger return spring breaking something to worry about with that model?
Anything else to keep in mind?

So, I went and checked my excel spreadsheet. My failures with TRS were early, two of them within 10K rounds and stopped after changing to light TRS. That was the time when I owned only one P30 so that round count didn't include dry fire. After 20K rounds the gun started to have some extraction and ejection issues (total of 4 various stoppages between rounds 0 and 19915, and six stoppages between 19916 and about 26K). This is when I decided to send it to Holm for inspection and then changed all springs - recoil, firing pin, firing pin block, extractor spring and then the extractor itself.
The short of it, for early stages have trigger return springs, especially if you run heavy spring. For the long haul, get all user replaceable springs, maybe spare pins and extractor. The most important advice - buy directly from HK CS. Places like HK parts charge three times more.

02-08-22, 06:59
So, I went and checked my excel spreadsheet. My failures with TRS were early, two of them within 10K rounds and stopped after changing to light TRS. That was the time when I owned only one P30 so that round count didn't include dry fire. After 20K rounds the gun started to have some extraction and ejection issues (total of 4 various stoppages between rounds 0 and 19915, and six stoppages between 19916 and about 26K). This is when I decided to send it to Holm for inspection and then changed all springs - recoil, firing pin, firing pin block, extractor spring and then the extractor itself.
The short of it, for early stages have trigger return springs, especially if you run heavy spring. For the long haul, get all user replaceable springs, maybe spare pins and extractor. The most important advice - buy directly from HK CS. Places like HK parts charge three times more.

Thanks for your detailed response and advice. [emoji1303]

1986s4
02-08-22, 08:40
I find high round count experiences very interesting, on any pistol. Are there any threads on M4C like this?

raydoctor
02-08-22, 10:42
As pistol grew longer in the tooth, I had a pretty good pile of small broken parts. Still, it was well worth the ride!

Arch
02-11-22, 09:53

Great data here!

Yes, I buy all of my parts directly from HK.

Joe Mamma
02-12-22, 08:10
Has anyone here ran a significant round count (25k +) through their HK?

I would be interested in reading about your experiences.

If you are interested, I have put just over 24K rounds through a USP 9mm full size (since new).

I had at least 2 things break on it: the firing pin and disconnector. Off of the top of my head, I think there was a 3rd part that broke, but I'm not sure about that. I keep detailed records, but don't have time to look it up right now.

Also, the extractor spring wore out, caused multiple malfunctions, and had to be replaced. I can't remember the round count on that.

This was an early production gun. It had a 1993 date code ("KD") which I believe was the first year of production for the USP guns.

The firing pin design was changed later to address the area that broke on mine. Basically, a sharp edge in the earlier design was changed to be a stronger curved edge.

Joe Mamma

Pappabear
02-18-22, 17:42
One thing I think HK wins because their guns are built to feed effortlessly. I mean they strip a round and load it in the chamber which seems like butter. Not a bunch of metal on metal beating one another up. It just feeds like a butter throated hooker. Also, their mags are the best in the world.

When you feed a 1911 9 or 45 or my old FNP 45, it was crutch and bunch. It fed 100%, but you could feel the struggle was real IMHO. Not so much with HK handguns. I think this contributes to their longevity. Not the only thing, but part of their recipe of success.

PB

duece71
02-19-22, 08:03
Sounds like my HK45C and MK23 will still be chugging long after I am gone. Glad to hear it. The MK23 gets shot suppressed mostly. Waiting on a threaded barrel for the 45C.

jyo
03-19-22, 08:46
After decades of shooting and carrying pistols as part of my job (not LE), I've settled on HK pistols as my first line HD guns---P30S, P2000, P2000SK, USPf, USPc, etc---all in 9mm except for a couple of 45s that snuck-in (USPf, 45C)---all DA/SA except for the P2000SK in "Light" LEM for the wife as she likes DAO triggers as she is also used to her Kahr CW9 with DAO.
HK pistols just seem to run and run---not needed any parts so far, but my shooting is spread-out over many different guns---also HKs have NEVER jammed on me! Yeah, people whine about their cost and complain about the price of magazines, but I don't find them out of line...!

TheGhostRider
03-19-22, 17:28
After my "Can't find Glock parts" thread "https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?233467-Glock-parts&p=2998758&highlight=#post2998758"
I decided to go a different direction. I've still got a stack of Glock's but now I'm rolling over to HK... I'm catching P2000 v3 9mm fever. Started carrying a P2K 9 a few weeks ago. It's got about 2500 rds through it already, accurate, reliable and easy to carry. I wish I'd have switched a long time ago. I've shot them before but didn't pay that much attention. Now I'm a believer. Parts... easy to get, mags... easy to get.
More HK's to come!

1986s4
03-21-22, 07:56
After decades of shooting and carrying pistols as part of my job (not LE), I've settled on HK pistols as my first line HD guns---P30S, P2000, P2000SK, USPf, USPc, etc---all in 9mm except for a couple of 45s that snuck-in (USPf, 45C)---all DA/SA except for the P2000SK in "Light" LEM for the wife as she likes DAO triggers as she is also used to her Kahr CW9 with DAO.
HK pistols just seem to run and run---not needed any parts so far, but my shooting is spread-out over many different guns---also HKs have NEVER jammed on me! Yeah, people whine about their cost and complain about the price of magazines, but I don't find them out of line...!

A pistol that runs without fuss is worth the money.