PDA

View Full Version : Veteran support

Willoj
02-06-22, 13:56
I am not a veteran, but I hold all service members in the highest regards. Recently I’ve been reading about the horrendous suicide rates among veterans and I want to do something about it. I’d like to start by giving to an organization that is currently working to support veterans and I would love your input. Do you have any organizations you recommend? Lastly, what can I do, other than give, to support veterans?

Averageman
02-06-22, 17:24
I am not a veteran, but I hold all service members in the highest regards. Recently I’ve been reading about the horrendous suicide rates among veterans and I want to do something about it. I’d like to start by giving to an organization that is currently working to support veterans and I would love your input. Do you have any organizations you recommend? Lastly, what can I do, other than give, to support veterans?

How close is your local VA?
You can volunteer to help in many areas.

Willoj
02-06-22, 17:33
less than 20 minutes. That’s a great idea!

3 AE
02-06-22, 20:04

I use the Charity Navigator to help me determine which organizations to donate to whether it be military or non-military charities.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=531

landrvrnut22
02-07-22, 10:09

Mission 22 is directly dedicated to helping Veterans with mental health issues. I have donated to them in the past, as well the range I am a member of has held fundraisers for them. They have chapters all across the country, and are doing what they can to help prevent veteran suicide.

https://mission22.com/

DAV.org, or Disabled American Veterans, is another organization that assists veterans with medical care needs. My boss is the NE Ohio chapter president, and they genuinely support veterans with rides to VA facilities, and other needs.

https://www.dav.org/

Have some free time, and want to help? Volunteer to one of the many organizations, or even to the VA directly. I am a .gov contractor, and see volunteers rolling veterans through the maze of VA hospitals, or parking cars at some with valet services.

You can make a difference by going to the VA, sitting in the cafeteria, and buying that old guy a cup of coffee in return for his story. I've done it many times. You never know what kind of badass you can meet.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-07-22, 21:20
Horses for Heroes with Micah Fink. Seriously. Listen to Jocko or Cleared Hot ep200.