PDA

View Full Version : MIT researchers create new advanced material

Slater
02-06-22, 16:26
Firearms applications?

"The material is several times stronger than bulletproof glass, and the amount of force needed to break it is twice that of steel, despite the fact that the material has only about one-sixth the density of steel, according to MIT."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/mit-researchers-create-material-strong-201848243.html

MikhailBarracuda91
02-06-22, 16:50
This is really cool. Imagine this for the body of a car (although I'm not sure that would work because of the crush zones)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-07-22, 11:03
Can also be used as a coating. It sounds like it is like Kevlar, so imagine instead of a kevlar fiber, you have a kevlar sheet- not a composite sheet of kevlar fibers in plastic, but a single Kevlar 'fiber' covering the whole thing.

Batman wants to know if it comes in Black...

For some reason, I thought this was already out....

KUSA
02-07-22, 14:59
I want an AR15 made out of it.

hotrodder636
02-07-22, 15:24
I had just read about this during lunch today. Will be interested to see uses.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-07-22, 15:33
Soooo. Either it isn't as special as we think, or it has actually been around a long time. SOmething this 'unobtainium' would be hidden by the powers that be if it were new and as good as made out to be.

I swear that I remember reading about 'Kevlar in a can" before...

MegademiC
02-07-22, 19:20
Sounds exaggerated. "As strong as steel" per weight? per volume?

That dictates a lot. Right now steel still cant be beat for price, strength, volume ratio.

Sounds like an improvement is layering processing.

Wild-ass-guess, 20% improvement over off the shelf uhwmhdpe... being generous.

Edit, they are comparing to bullet proof glass and steel which are drastically different. Even steel has a huge range or properties from ar500 to 1002 and everything in between.