PDA

View Full Version : What caliber should I consider?

camoman
02-07-22, 10:17
Two new builds planned, with small framed lowers, and I'm just not sure what Would be a practical caliber to go with.
For the record I currently own a dmps pattern 20" 6.5cm, with a Nikon black series 4-16.
One 16" 5.56, gun with a gen 2 spitfire.
One 16"5.56 gun with a TA31 rco
One 16" 5.56 gun with open sights
One 10.5 5.56 pistol, that I have a Holosun AEMS inbound for.
and a 7" sc 9mm pistol, that will soon have another AEMS, if I like the one thats in route.

I'm not totally sold on doing two more 5.56 builds, what are my best, most cost effective alternatives?
Thanks.

02-07-22, 10:50
16” 9mm for cheap practice in a similar form factor as your other guns is something I would consider. I use my 12” 9mm a lot for cheap practice.

You could SBR a lower and make a medium sized 5.56 gun.

camoman
02-07-22, 11:16
I was thinking possibly 6.5 grendle?
300blk? 350 legend? Im not sure.
I already have a 10.5 5.56, and a 7" 9mm
Im thinking something different.

gaijin
02-07-22, 11:20
16” 9mm for cheap practice in a similar form factor as your other guns is something I would consider. I use my 12” 9mm a lot for cheap practice.

You could SBR a lower and make a medium sized 5.56 gun.

This. We use AR9s on the “run n gun” (pistol) range.
Bottleneck rifles not allowed, we get in quality AR time with drills, barricade, prone, movement, etc. which isn’t allowed on the “Rifle Range”.

MegademiC
02-07-22, 18:26
Two new builds planned, with small framed lowers, and I'm just not sure what Would be a practical caliber to go with.
For the record I currently own a dmps pattern 20" 6.5cm, with a Nikon black series 4-16.
and a 7" sc 9mm pistol, that will soon have another AEMS, if I like the one thats in route.

I'm not totally sold on doing two more 5.56 builds, what are my best, most cost effective alternatives?
Thanks.

What is the purpose?
Do you want any practical capabilities from them?
Do you have slings and lights on them?
Are they to just shoot paper at the range and put in the safe?

MegademiC
02-07-22, 18:27

Thanks.

What is the purpose?

greybuff
02-08-22, 17:26
I have an upper in 6.5 Grendel and really like it. I've taken a deer with it at 275 yds. and can shoot long range (600-800 yds) with no problem. It's a fun round to shoot and reload for.......

Mysteryman
02-08-22, 21:27
What is the purpose?

These are the questions I ask, both of the new builds and your current rifles. I'm entirely pragmatic. If it doesn't serve a purpose it isn't worth owning. Duplicates are excellent, lots of ammo, mags, parts and batteries.

RUTGERS95
02-08-22, 22:00
x39 for the win

camoman
02-09-22, 08:31
Well, a role hasn't really been determined yet, im not sure. I just have all these parts, and a urge to build something, but no urge to build duplicates. If I do another pistol caliber, it would have to be .40, as I do have an ammo stockpile. Well I have a lot of 9mm also.

camoman
02-09-22, 08:34
Well, a role hasn't really been determined yet, im not sure. I just have all these parts, and a urge to build something, but no urge to build duplicates. If I do another pistol caliber, it would have to be .40, as I do have an ammo stockpile. Well I have a lot of 9mm also.
I was more thinking something with similarities with x39...but better down range accuracy....6.5grendal????

02-09-22, 10:46
I was more thinking something with similarities with x39...but better down range accuracy....6.5grendal????

Grendel’s not a bad choice. Its one of the best alternative chamberings. You mentioned “cost-effective”. I’ll point out that steel cased ammo availability has been spotty over the time I’ve owned mine. Mostly Hornady Black has been what my local shop has been carrying. So, given that expense, you have to decide whether you’re getting anything extra over 5.56 for whatever you use it for. Personally I plan on selling my Grendel barrel and getting a bolt gun to do the things I got into Grendel to do.

None of the alternative cartridges are head-and-shoulders above 5.56 for general purpose use. They each typically do one or two things better, if that, and they all come with some sort of tradeoff. Hence why they get so hotly debated.

HKGuns
02-09-22, 12:22
Go big or stay home. .458 SOCOM ftw.

B Cart
02-09-22, 12:29

I have a 20" .224 Valkyre and a 12" 6.5 Grendel (both suppressed) and really like them both. The Valkyrie has less recoil and is more fun to shoot, but the Grendel is a little better at killing. I also have two 300BLK ARs, and those are extremely fun to shoot, especially suppressed. In fact, my go-to home defense gun is an 8" suppressed 300 BLK SBR.

It's all personal preference obviously, but if i were in your shoes, i would do one 300BLK and one 6.5 Grendel. I think you would have a lot of fun, and good practical application, with those.

camoman
02-09-22, 17:00
These seem like good suggestions.
Thanks.

Disciple
02-09-22, 19:01
16” 9mm for cheap practice

Is this assuming a stockpile? Current prices don't seem that different between 9mm and .223.

Have a look at .277 Wolverine and .300 HAM'R. Both can be made from 5.56 brass. I cannot recommend 6.5 Grendel at current ammo and component price and availability.

czgunner
02-09-22, 19:24
Do a 12.5" 6.8 SPC SBR. Its awesome in that barrel length.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

02-09-22, 21:41
Is this assuming a stockpile? Current prices don't seem that different between 9mm and .223.

Good point, but if prices come down, 9mm will almost certainly end up lower. Plus reloading, if thats an option. Blue bullets are relatively cheap, powder goes forever, and brass is free. Oh yeah, PCC barrels last forever; it takes a pile of money to wear one out. I’m not sure I ever will, with the subsonic powdercoated rounds I shoot most of the time.

It works out economically for some, leaves others another $1k in debt with nothing gained. PCCs only make monetary sense for shooting a lot, at fairly close range, but they can save piles in that application.

camoman
02-10-22, 10:51
Good point, but if prices come down, 9mm will almost certainly end up lower. Plus reloading, if thats an option. Blue bullets are relatively cheap, powder goes forever, and brass is free. Oh yeah, PCC barrels last forever; it takes a pile of money to wear one out. I’m not sure I ever will, with the subsonic powdercoated rounds I shoot most of the time.

It works out economically for some, leaves others another $1k in debt with nothing gained. PCCs only make monetary sense for shooting a lot, at fairly close range, but they can save piles in that application.

I already do have an ar9, and two 9mm glocks.
I have plenty of 9mm....I was just looking for something different. I was thinking 6.5 Grendel, because I have a 6.5 Creedmore...But its really heavy. Too heavy to be practical for me. I was really looking for something as close to that performance, as I can get...in a lighter frame.

B Cart
02-10-22, 13:29
I already do have an ar9, and two 9mm glocks.
I have plenty of 9mm....I was just looking for something different. I was thinking 6.5 Grendel, because I have a 6.5 Creedmore...But its really heavy. Too heavy to be practical for me. I was really looking for something as close to that performance, as I can get...in a lighter frame.

I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10, and wanted something lighter for coyotes etc. I went with a 12" 6.5 Grendel, and love the way it handles. I run mine suppressed, so that adds some length/weight, but it's a very handy gun.

26 Inf
02-10-22, 13:40
Intended use should be the factor.

I have service rifle for CMP/NRA matches, so I have a .22 service rifle clone.

My wife and I shoot in outlaw PCC matches at our club so we both have 9mm PCC and .22 PCC clones.

Personally, given the info you have provided, I'd build a 16" 9mm and a 16" .22. Down the road if you want different barrel lengths, it is a simple proposition to change.

Are any of your rifles FSB M4orgeries? I think everyone ought to own at least one. My favorite is a 16-inch mid-length, I also have pin and weld SOCOM, which I like a lot but, surprisingly, it doesn't shoot as good my mid-length.

There are a lot of fun and useful possibilities out there, depending on what you want to do.

ubet
02-12-22, 21:11

Thanks.

20mm from anzior. Drop anything you need it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk