PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills Blue Box (re-manufactured) .223

OH58D
12-16-08, 09:53
Despite the recent runs on military ammo (XM193, Wolf, etc.), I am still finding 50 round boxes of Black Hills 55 gr FMJ re-manufactured. These are still selling for $20-$25 in local stores. I've been buying some of it and when it's not snowing, I've been having nice results with it, and wonder why it's not been caught up in the ammo run?

Other than the .223 loading, is there something I'm missing? I find it to be clean shooting and reliable enough for Zombies, Aliens, Black Helicopters or sandal wearing Obama Hippie Brown Shirts (part of his new domestic civilian police force):p

I've been using it in my registered SBR LMT (14.5 barrel) and Colt 6920 with no problems. After 150 rounds not a single failure.

I would like some feedback on others using this ammo.

Regards,
OH58D

nsabjg
12-16-08, 10:04
Black Hills makes good ammo.

ST911
12-16-08, 10:41
I would like some feedback on others using this ammo.

I use BHA almost exclusively in my guns. Umpteen thousand rounds downrange. In use by numerous manufacturers and agencies around the country. Backordered seemingly forever. BHA sets the standard in QC and consistency.

Buckaroo
12-16-08, 10:42
Black Hills makes good ammo.

+1 I have shot their Blue box and even their White box (seconds) without any problems in a couple of rifles including a Kel Tec SU16C I owned for a short time.

Buckaroo

markm
12-16-08, 10:46
I've shot Blue Box before. And I'd put it on par with my practica ammo reloads... which is GOOD!

The only thing with Blue box is that the brass isn't trimmed on any that I've seen. And it's VERY much out of spec. This doesn't seem to cause any problems though. Black hills blue box is widely used with never a problem reported.

If you plan to use the brass for reloading, you had better enjoy trimming cases! ;)

SoDak
12-16-08, 11:31
The limited shooting I do usually involves either black hills blue box or the slightly cheaper(though not always:confused:) white box(seconds). Probably the biggest reason I use it is that it is relatively cheap(nice when looking to buy a bunch of softpoints), it is available, and I get to support the local economy(I live in Rpaid City).

Avenger29
12-16-08, 11:46
I wondered if at first I was having issues with it, but I bought a couple more boxes of it to try, and it worked OK.

Only problem here is that no one sells it at a reasonable price...the only store in town that carries it is well known for raping the customers on the price of just about everything...we are talking a horrific pricing structure...so I don't buy much at all from them...

ST911
12-16-08, 11:54
The limited shooting I do usually involves either black hills blue box or the slightly cheaper(though not always:confused:)

White boxes include both new and remanufactured seconds, as well as some odds and ends. Look for a "New Ammunition" or Remanufactured Ammunition" on the box top, as well as any special labeling on the larger faces.

SoDak
12-16-08, 12:48
White boxes include both new and remanufactured seconds, as well as some odds and ends. Look for a "New Ammunition" or Remanufactured Ammunition" on the box top, as well as any special labeling on the larger faces.

Thanks for the info. Maybe that's why I've seen the white box 77g's at a higher price than blue box at the same store.

mtdawg169
12-16-08, 13:04
where do you guys find the BH stuff? I can't ever seem to find the blue box 75 grain anywhere. And forget about finding the whitebox Mk262 seconds, I've given up on that entirely.

Anyone have a good source for it?

sgthoskins
12-16-08, 14:15
I went distinguished shooting BH Blue Box 77gr across the course. No problems at all. I shot more than a handful of clean 200 and 300 rapids.

POF.Ops
12-16-08, 18:52
This is GREAT ammo, very accurate. I still have a few boxes left from a case I bought ~10 years ago. I am trying to make it last as long as possible.

Shark
12-16-08, 18:57
Yep, BHA is great! I usually shoot the 77gr SMK cartridges in the Blue Box. I also have shot the Red Box and authentic Mk262 Mod1 which Black Hills manufactures. The Blue Box shoots just as well and is cheaper than the Red. The cases are also polished whereas the Mk262 is unpolished, military grade. Excellent ammo for the long range stages in 3 Gun. For all others I shoot Federal M193.

rangertab1
12-16-08, 23:02
Black Hills Reman. 55g FMJ is all i shoot. It is not on the shelves around Beaumont TX right now. I feel a little worried but i still got a few rounds.. I am assured that it will be available in Jan./Feb. My two M4s love it and shoot tight groups.

markm
12-17-08, 07:36
The cases are also polished whereas the Mk262 is unpolished, military grade.

BH polishes those blue box rounds unmercifully. The Damned head stamp is almost gone they polish them so aggressively. :eek:

moonshot
12-17-08, 13:08
I am under the impression that BH blue box is re-manufactured ammo, while BH red box is new. At $20 for a box of 50, that's $0.40 per round. BH red box is usually $30 for a box of 50 (at least around here), or $0.60 a round.

While a savings of $0.20 per round is significant, is there any concern over using re-manufactured ammo rather than new ammo (even if it's Black Hills)?

I always thought the chance for a problem (squib load, double charge, case rupture, case neck separation, etc) was much higher with re-manufactured ammo, regardless of how much QC there was.

My AR's are pretty expensive. I'd hate to risk destroying my rifle to save a few pennies on ammo, and it only takes one bad round to destroy a rifle.

Are my concerns justified, or am I making way too much out of this?

markm
12-17-08, 13:18
I

Are my concerns justified, or am I making way too much out of this?

You're making WAY too much out of this. The biggest diff in the ammos will be the long cases in the Blue box.

But If I were buying ANY reman ammo at all, It'd be Black hills. It's better than most of the factory fresh stuff available right now.

ST911
12-17-08, 18:05
I am under the impression that BH blue box is re-manufactured ammo, while BH red box is new.

Fact.

While a savings of $0.20 per round is significant, is there any concern over using re-manufactured ammo rather than new ammo (even if it's Black Hills)? I always thought the chance for a problem (squib load, double charge, case rupture, case neck separation, etc) was much higher with re-manufactured ammo, regardless of how much QC there was.

Some issues, like a case head separation, are statistically more likely with once-fired brass than new. Still, QC is the very reason that those things occur with BHA with far less frequency than competitors.

I've found it interesting that a couple of commercial reloaders advertise their reloads as "once fired brass", but will buy the brass back from you. That's a clue.

My AR's are pretty expensive. I'd hate to risk destroying my rifle to save a few pennies on ammo, and it only takes one bad round to destroy a rifle. Are my concerns justified, or am I making way too much out of this?

Truth be told, BHA will often cost more per round than other manufacturer offerings, and you can save more than pennies buying elsewhere. Still, the level of performance at a certain price point is what will distinguish one from the other.

You're wise to contemplate things. In this case, however, there's enough info out there to know that BHA is known-good. Buy with confidence.

Shark
12-17-08, 18:53
BH polishes those blue box rounds unmercifully. The Damned head stamp is almost gone they polish them so aggressively. :eek:

I've also noticed that most, if not all the cases are Lake City with the NATO stamp. :)

Hat Creek
12-17-08, 19:53
I've fired or supervised close to 900K rounds of Black Hills ammunition, most of it blue box re-manufactured. Only one reported problem from an IBO, and I could not duplicate that problem.

Black Hills re-manufactured is the exception that firms the rule of avoiding re-man ammo. Black Hills is consistent and a reliable performer.

For me, if a gun/shooter goes down because of bad ammo, it shuts down the entire firing order.

I've fired their "white box" stuff in a sniper course and had superb performance through the entire school. 28 rounds of Mk 262 through a Navy Mk18 at 600 meters resulted in all hits.

The level of performance that you need from your ammo depends on your mission. If a lot of crappy rounds and broken guns is tolerable, buy someone else's re-manufactured ammo.

For 'can't fail' reliability, shoot Black Hills.

MarkC
12-17-08, 20:55
I've fired or supervised close to 900K rounds of Black Hills ammunition,

Do you mean 9K or 900K? 900K is 900,000.

I recognize the sign in your avatar. I been there. Made it back too. :D

Hat Creek
12-18-08, 21:13
I mean 900,000.

I've had some good chances to send it down range, and supervise others doing so.

MarkC
12-19-08, 06:31
I mean 900,000.

I've had some good chances to send it down range, and supervise others doing so.

WOW!!

Shamdawg
11-16-09, 04:52
Midway seems to have the best prices on BH Re-Manufactured Ammo. At .77 cents (1000 rounds) a shot for 77 grain Sierra Match King, I hope to have enough ammo for the zombie wars.