PDA

View Full Version : Magazines purchased on-line must be sent to FFL???

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 09:35
It’s been about year since I’ve ordered magazines on-line. Last night I went to order some 19 round G19X magazines and some 30 round Magpul AR magazines from my usual stores. I was shocked to find out that said magazines must be sent to my FFL as “magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds are regulated by the ATF…”

This is news to me. My state has no limit on magazine capacity and I can’t find anything via Google supporting what I quoted above.

Is this a new, bullshit state of affair created by the ATF?

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-13-22, 09:38
What sites?

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 09:42
The two I ended up using were Primary Arms and GlockStore.

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-13-22, 09:50
All I'm seeing at Primary Arms is this disclaimer about them not being available in all areas.

Magazines considered High Capacity are controlled by the ATF and/or local jurisdictions are not available for purchase/shipment in all areas.

Slater
02-13-22, 09:59
I ordered a batch of Okay 30-rounders from Primary Arms a couple days ago. No problems with shipping (I'm in Arizona).

BobinNC
02-13-22, 10:00
Out of curiosity I went to PA Website. This is what I found.

I clicked on Magpul PMAG 30 Gen M3 Window 5.56 AR-15 Magazine - Coyote Tan. PA Said it was on sale and click for the sale price, Wow, it as a whole .06 cents cheaper ($16.99 vs $17.05), but I digress. Below the add to cart was a red warning saying "This item is regulated." Clicking on the warning reviled this: "Magazines considered High Capacity are controlled by the ATF and/or local jurisdictions are not available for purchase/shipment in all areas."

I certainly can believe that local and state jurisdictions can and do control mag capacity, but the mere mention of mag capacity being controlled by the ATF is news, and not good news. I did not try to complete the sale, so I got no mention of the mag going to an FFL.

This is a troubling turn of events and I wonder if it is related to the on-going protests against government over reach underway or planned here in the USA and abroad.

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 10:05
Regarding PA, just as I’m about to click on the button to finalize my order of 30 round magazines, I am told “ YOUR ORDER CONTAINS AN ITEM OR ITEMS THAT ARE REGULATED BY THE ATF AND/OR LOCAL JURISDICTIONS.” (I didn’t make the quote all caps). The message further intimates that my order must be delivered to my FFL.

Regarding GlockStore, my order was completed last night and then this morning I received an email requesting my LGS send them their FFL.

I live in Rhode Island and can find no new laws or regulations that require “high capacity magazines” be sent to FFLs.

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 10:13
BobinNC

Right, it’s that statement about the ATF controlling magazines that has me worked up. Since 2004, I was under the impression that the ATF didn’t have any say on the matter.

Slater
02-13-22, 10:15
That statement may be just boilerplate. Wouldn't be surprised if it's been around a while and nobody paid much attention.

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 10:21
That statement may be just boilerplate. Wouldn't be surprised if it's been around a while and nobody paid much attention.

In the past when I’ve ordered magazines, the only statements that I recall seeing were to the effect of “know your local laws” or “we won’t ship X product to A B and C states.” Further, I’ve never been asked to have my LGS furnish his FFL on magazine orders.

BobinNC
02-13-22, 10:25
In the past when I’ve ordered magazines, the only statements that I recall seeing were to the effect of “know your local laws” or “we won’t ship X product to A B and C states.” Further, I’ve never been asked to have my LGS furnish his FFL on magazine orders.

Perhaps call or e-mail PA and ask what the nexus is for the change requiring mags be shipped to an FFL??

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 10:36
I did write to PA and was just going to wait for their reply, but when I received the FFL request from GlockStore this morning from an order I completed last night I became very concerned that something systemic might be going on.

georgeib
02-13-22, 11:04
RI has no laws regulating magazine capacity. Don't know where these retailers are getting this from.

BobinNC
02-13-22, 11:13
Well it had to come from either the ATF or the State of RI. One site may just be an error, two sites requesting the same thing is called a pattern.

TommyG
02-13-22, 12:12
Please let us know what the response is from the vendors.

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 12:25
Please let us know what the response is from the vendors.

I certainly will. I’m hoping this is some CYA for the retailers rather than horseshit from the Federal Government.

Renegade
02-13-22, 12:32
Out of curiosity I went to PA Website. This is what I found.

I clicked on Magpul PMAG 30 Gen M3 Window 5.56 AR-15 Magazine - Coyote Tan. PA Said it was on sale and click for the sale price, Wow, it as a whole .06 cents cheaper ($16.99 vs $17.05), but I digress. Below the add to cart was a red warning saying "This item is regulated." Clicking on the warning reviled this: "Magazines considered High Capacity are controlled by the ATF and/or local jurisdictions are not available for purchase/shipment in all areas."

I certainly can believe that local and state jurisdictions can and do control mag capacity, but the mere mention of mag capacity being controlled by the ATF is news, and not good news. I did not try to complete the sale, so I got no mention of the mag going to an FFL.

This is a troubling turn of events and I wonder if it is related to the on-going protests against government over reach underway or planned here in the USA and abroad.

LOL

Nothing new here. Shipping restrictions on magazines started in 1989.

switchback7
02-13-22, 12:41
ive never had issues having 30 round pmags sent to my house in MN, then again i havent bought them online in over a year or so..

Slater
02-13-22, 12:54
Maybe it's a case of "assuming" that Rhode Island has the same policies as other Northeast states.

john armond
02-13-22, 13:02
Just ordered mags from Primary Arms to be sent to my residence in NC. It had the warnings, but they were generic and didn’t specify which states/jurisdictions. There was also a spot fro FFL info that I left blank. Order went through according to my email receipt.

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 13:21
Just ordered mags from Primary Arms to be sent to my residence in NC. It had the warnings, but they were generic and didn’t specify which states/jurisdictions. There was also a spot fro FFL info that I left blank. Order went through according to my email receipt.

I’d be interested to know whether you receive a follow-up email asking for your FFL. I was able to order my 19X magazine from GlockStore with no mention of an FFL requirement and then received an email requesting it.

Slater
02-13-22, 13:30
I've ordered mags on numerous occasions from PA. All I've ever gotten is the usual confirmation of order.

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 13:45
I've ordered mags on numerous occasions from PA. All I've ever gotten is the usual confirmation of order.

Until yesterday, I’ve never had any issue ordering magazines of any capacity to my house. I feel better knowing that you and a few other guys replying have had no issues. I’d be most concerned if there were some new regulation from the ATF affecting everyone. Your experience lessens this concern and narrows regulatory interference to my area. Unfortunately, I can’t find any new local regulations pertaining to my situation.

Still, the verbiage that I’ve seen about magazines of greater than 10 round capacities being regulated by the ATF had me scratching my head. Have such magazines always, i.e. since the lapse of the AWB, been “regulated by the ATF”?

pag23
02-13-22, 14:14
I have ordered mags online from PA in the last 3 months with no issues, but curious on the outcome of this.

pag23
02-13-22, 14:19
Wonder if because you are snuggled up against anti freedom states or your web provider or IP address is causing PA algorithms to flag it...

Apoptotic
02-13-22, 14:53
Wonder if because you are snuggled up against anti freedom states or your web provider or IP address is causing PA algorithms to flag it...

This feels like a possibility and certainly nothing I would have considered left to my own devices. I’ll investigate this as I’ve just tried a third retailer with the same result.

BobinNC
02-13-22, 16:57
This feels like a possibility and certainly nothing I would have considered left to my own devices. I’ll investigate this as I’ve just tried a third retailer with the same result.

You can check where your IP address is listed with this APP. This could be what's triggering the algorithm.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

The_War_Wagon
02-13-22, 17:14
Glad I already have 500+ AR mags

ubet
02-13-22, 19:24
I looked at pa and see what you’re saying, here’s a ss from bcm
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220214/e442e6b78f5991763bfa2278d981cd92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondback
02-13-22, 21:07
I looked at pa and see what you’re saying, here’s a ss from bcm
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220214/e442e6b78f5991763bfa2278d981cd92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is just flat strange... BCM was happy to bill at my PO box and ship to the studio on a complete upper.

ubet
02-13-22, 22:37
That is just flat strange... BCM was happy to bill at my PO box and ship to the studio on a complete upper.

That as was in regards to mags

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vgex2
02-13-22, 22:42
I recall ordering a bunch of scar 17 20-round Mags, from PA, and the system tried to send them to FFL. I live in Texas. However, I don’t recall how, but I was able to complete the order without such nonsense, and they were delivered to my home.

ChileRelleno
02-14-22, 09:13
I ordered Pmags from PA during their Save12 Sale, and some M1A mags elsewhere, they had all the standard boilerplate warnings about various state's/local and/or ITAR restrictions.

They had no problem shipping to my residence in Alabama.

Apoptotic
02-14-22, 13:31
You can check where your IP address is listed with this APP. This could be what's triggering the algorithm.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Thank you. Now that I’m in my early 40’s, I’m realizing that technology is quickly leaving me in the dust.

BobinNC
02-14-22, 18:13
Thank you. Now that I’m in my early 40’s, I’m realizing that technology is quickly leaving me in the dust.

I think that's hysterical, as I'm in my early 70's. Of course I was in IT for about 25 years before I retired nearly 20 years ago, so maybe that helped......

john armond
02-14-22, 18:34
I’d be interested to know whether you receive a follow-up email asking for your FFL. I was able to order my 19X magazine from GlockStore with no mention of an FFL requirement and then received an email requesting it.

Follow up email today said they were on the way to my my home address. No FFL needed.

Diamondback
02-14-22, 18:38

Amen; I'm about your age and the more I have to deal with this electronics-and-code crap the more I prefer to sink my hands into some pure old-school mechanical stuff.

Apoptotic
02-15-22, 09:48
I think that's hysterical, as I'm in my early 70's. Of course I was in IT for about 25 years before I retired nearly 20 years ago, so maybe that helped......

I haven’t used a computer since I retired 8 years ago, so I don’t think there is any chance I’ll catch back up. Fortunately, my kids can handle most of my technology issues.

Apoptotic
02-15-22, 10:08
I’ve now heard back from PA and the GlockStore.

PA: as a few of you noted, their restriction notice is boilerplate and that my order would have been processed and shipped to my house had I just completed the order. “It’s a generic message that doesn't apply in your situation, and you can disregard it. This is to serve as a reminder for customer who may live in restricted areas that we may not be able to ship all products/magazines to their area.”

GlockStore: “Please disregard the FFL request, this was sent on accident.”

I apologize for my mildly histrionic thread. Given the bum rush of attempted (and achieved) 2A infringements in the past year and given the boilerplate warnings I hadn’t encountered or noticed in the past, I feared a new and awful law (or bullshit ATF regulation) had been enacted unnoticed by me.

Apoptotic
02-15-22, 13:06
Amen; I'm about your age and the more I have to deal with this electronics-and-code crap the more I prefer to sink my hands into some pure old-school mechanical stuff.

I’ve also noticed that all new music sounds like shit, I’ve got hair growing out of my ears, half my beard is white, and I can’t be persuaded to use anything but full Picatinny rail systems on my ARs.

Diamondback
02-15-22, 13:45
I’ve also noticed that all new music sounds like shit, I’ve got hair growing out of my ears, half my beard is white, and I can’t be persuaded to use anything but full Picatinny rail systems on my ARs.

You're LATE to that party... for me the last "real music" outside of film scores is generally Shostakovich, and other than ergo or optical accommodations I prefer my AR's in an "as military-issued" setup.

.45fan
02-15-22, 15:50
Ok whose going to be the first to comment on riding dinosaurs to get to school?

Apoptotic
02-15-22, 16:00
Ok whose going to be the first to comment on riding dinosaurs to get to school?

Ha Ha Ha!

In just the past few months, I’ve come to the hard realization that I’m not young anymore and that I’m becoming quite set in my ways.

.45fan
02-15-22, 18:31
Ha Ha Ha!

In just the past few months, I’ve come to the hard realization that I’m not young anymore and that I’m becoming quite set in my ways.My grandfather just turned 94 last month and he has been that way for as long as I can remember.
There is nothing wrong with it.

DwayneZ
02-16-22, 14:29
@ post #1, just find another online vendor. Problem solved.