PDA

View Full Version : Troy BUIS

El Mac
12-16-08, 11:34
Any pros/cons to either the HK style front site vs. the M4 style?

C4IGrant
12-16-08, 12:02
Any pros/cons to either the HK style front site vs. the M4 style?

Go with the M4.

C4

El Mac
12-16-08, 12:05
Why so Grant?

billybronco
12-16-08, 12:09
cuz he said so.

El Mac
12-16-08, 12:12
cuz he said so.

:rolleyes:

billybronco
12-16-08, 12:13
just kidding....i think he's recommending the M4 style b/c they're more low profile when engaged and allow a better sight picture.

the HK style sights take longer to get acquainted with expecially if you're not familiar with them or if you don't fire one of their long guns on a regular basis.

El Mac
12-16-08, 12:19
Thanks billybronco...that was helpful information....

BushmasterFanBoy
12-16-08, 12:20
I'd go with M4 style sights, mainly because its easier to keep the tip of the front post centered for accuracy, the HK ears can keep you from centering the sight in the peep, your eye has a tendency to center the hood, not the sight post, which creates problems for accuracy.

C4IGrant
12-16-08, 12:44
cuz he said so.

Because I said so! Just kidding. :D

The HK style sights (with the large wings on the side of the front sight post) complicate the sight picture and it is easy to mistake them for the front sight post.

C4

spamsammich
12-16-08, 13:46
I have the HK style and have to agree, it does tend to make me center the ears rather than the post. You have to concentrate a little more to make sure you're centering the post.

Honu
12-16-08, 14:15
I prefer the HK style ?
but I was used to choped off HK sites
I used to cut the top 1/3 or so off the round front on all my HK91 to open them up as when I was in the woods or darker areas it was hard to see the post ?

but I can totally see how the rounded vs the wing is not as good in that sense of sighting in between

sgthoskins
12-16-08, 14:20
Like others have said it's a little easier to get a consistent sight picture and it may be a bit faster with the M4 sight vs the HK style.

USMC03
12-16-08, 20:57
I don't like rounded ears on the front sight (ie. Gen 1 Troy Ind. (old style) front sight BUIS, HK, etc).

What I found with the 1st Gen Troy front BUIS (rounded ears), is that my eye naturally wanted to align the rounded ears of the front BUIS with the round peep sight of the rear BUIS.

Kind of hard to explain with my limited vocabulary........ but here goes.

Imagine you looking through a scope and you have the front of the scope and the rear of the scope. Both the front and rear of the scope are circles. Your eye wants to naturally make the two circles line up perfectly, so it appears that there is only one circle in your field of view.

Take this concept and relate it to the Gen 1 Troy Ind. front BUIS (rounded ears) and the round rear peep appeture. Your eye wants to line up the 9 o'clock position of the front sight ear with the 9 o'clock postion of the rear peep appeture and your eye wants to line up 3 o'clock position of the front sight ear with the 3 o'clock postion of the rear peep appeture.

When this occurs the front sight post is higher (if I remember correctly) than it should be in the rear peep sight appeture.

With an USGI A1 / A2 / M4 style front sight base (to include the Gen 2 Troy front BUIS), my eye naturally centers the front sight post without thinking about it. I don't know if this is something the human eye naturally wants to do or if it's programmed into me after shooting with A1/A2 style front sight bases for almost 2 decades.

Anything that resembles the A1/A2/M4 front sight base centers much more rapidly and much more naturally for me in a rear peep apeture without having to think about it.

But you also have to consider that my ASVAB score was so high that the Marine Corps Recruiter told me that I could have ANY M.O.S. that I wanted as long as it was Bulk Fuel or Infantry. :eek:

Just my opinion based on my experiences, your milage may vary.

S/F,
Jeff

spamsammich
12-16-08, 23:23
Jeff, that is EXACTLY the problem I initially had with this type of sight. I broke myself of the habit but it took some getting used to and is almost a non issue now that I have an H-1.

Your description was fine.

JSantoro
12-17-08, 10:49
I could have ANY M.O.S. that I wanted as long as it was Bulk Fuel or Infantry. :eek:

I see what you did there, Mister! :mad:

SinnFéinM1911
12-17-08, 12:30
How much faster does it make you? Mili-seconds? Is it even measurable... or is it that someone had told you that so now you look for it and now you do it slower subconsciously because you want to agree with the person that told you that.

I’m not disagreeing at all. I prefer and M4 style, but its more personal preference. But what you all are talking about is on a time table that most would never know about unless told to look for.

You build your own consistent sight picture. If you train with a HK type sight and today was your first day with it, your start your own consistency. So if you say it’s for a consistent sight picture it’s not a valid argument to buy a different one.

If you follow the basic fundamentals and principles of marksmanship then you should be able to breed consistency with any sight you learn and train with.

a1fabweld
12-17-08, 14:18
I personally shoot better with the HK style sights than the AR sights. I like the circle in a circle.

spamsammich
12-17-08, 15:01
I personally shoot better with the HK style sights than the AR sights. I like the circle in a circle.

That's fine if your front sight post lands in the middle of the smaller circle when you're done with elevation adjustments. Mine didn't and I had to stop relying on circle in circle.

Cameron
12-17-08, 15:50
I have the HK Troy front with Troy rear and that is fine, but I have another AR with the Troy rear and the PRI completely circled styled front and I really like that better for the emergency close range shooting that a BUIS would be used for.

Cameron