PDA

View Full Version : Range reports on Custome Builds

WornOutGrunt
02-15-22, 05:00
I'm always interested in range reports on these Custom builds... but rarely see them. I have lurked on here for awhile before joining, and always wondered that...

I mean if your proud enough to build something lets see how it performs.. snap a pic of the zero target or anything.. maybe a few details of what brands of ammo you used etc...Did you run it in a carbine class and really shake out the build or was it just a range plinker.. maybe a zero report/ 100 rd report/ 1000 rd after action report from a class you attended.... did GB loosen up cause it you didn't use Loctite or dimpled, or castle nut cause it wasn't staked...... it will / would help others learn a little more about their builds

I'm sure I will get flamed by some older members for broaching this subject but... I was just curious

1986s4
02-15-22, 07:54
I would be happy to report on mine. I have several but my most proven is the carbine I built [with lots of help] trained with and used during desert brutality 2021. It performed flawlessly in the moon dust of southern Utah. Zero breakage or loose parts.

Lower receiver:
LMT stripped
Colt LPK with ALG trigger
Geissele stock tube
JP captured recoil system
Rogers super stock, Magpul SL grip

Upper:
BCM blemished [can't find the blemish]
Colt skinny barrel cut to 14.5 by Adco [small shoulder added by them just behind the FH]
Centurion carbine cut out handguard
All the above assembled by Adco
Colt BCG
Geissele charging handle

Optics: Aimpoint Comp M4 with SIG Juliet 4X magnifier

I couldn't be happier with this set up.

WornOutGrunt
02-15-22, 10:52
That's great.. hopefully more people will chime in ..maybe some with pics...Solid parts list and report that the build worked

Stickman
02-15-22, 15:22
That's great.. hopefully more people will chime in ..maybe some with pics...Solid parts list and report that the build worked

Custom build section might be what you are looking for, most of the guys there list out what they have used and should be able to give additional details.

themonk
02-15-22, 16:08
I agree with Stick, I think you are looking for this - https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?5-Custom-Build-Forum

Need to remember most people dont shoot their guns but those that do will generally give you some targets in the custom build section. If they dont and it's a gun you're interested in, just ask and they will generally post pictures.

MegademiC
02-15-22, 18:07
I still have my rifle I pieced together in college, took 3 yrs - lol.

DD upper
Bcm bcg
Kac urx iii
Centurion 14.5"
Sf3p
Kac micro buis
White oak upper parts

Mega lower
Forget the lpk (bcm?)but now has a sionics np3 trigger

1.3 moa with 62gr fusion 10 shot groups
Well over 5,000rds
I had a cheap buffer begin coming apart cause a malfunction, otherwise been 100%. Upgraded spring and buffer to quality stuff.

themonk
02-15-22, 18:23
I still have my rifle I pieced together in college, took 3 yrs - lol.

DD upper
Bcm bcg
Kac urx iii
Centurion 14.5"
Sf3p
Kac micro buis
White oak upper parts

Mega lower
Forget the lpk (bcm?)but now has a sionics np3 trigger

1.3 moa with 62gr fusion 10 shot groups
Well over 5,000rds
I had a cheap buffer begin coming apart cause a malfunction, otherwise been 100%. Upgraded spring and buffer to quality stuff.

Love me some urx III. What length?

02-15-22, 21:10
All of my builds are on Colt 16” 6920 barrels, Colt BCGs, Colt springs and buffers.

Geissele handguards

SOLGW, Centurion, Geissele stripped lowers.

SOLGW LPKs

Sionics, BCM, ALG, Centurion NP3 triggers

Boring reliability.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-nXwkwWm/0/X4/i-nXwkwWm-X4.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-nXwkwWm/0/X4/i-nXwkwWm-X4.jpg

turnburglar
02-15-22, 23:05
I have a couple PSA build kits that are phenomenal guns.

"would you bet they could make it through a carbine class??"

That's cute.

My oldest PSA build kit is from 2013 and probably has 8 - 10K on it at this point. I put a BRT barrel on it cause I was chasing the barrel sauce probably 2k rounds ago.

https://i.imgur.com/OwifkIo.png

AR's are kinda like cheese burger's. They really arnt that hard to slap together.

RUTGERS95
02-16-22, 07:27
I would be happy to report on mine. I have several but my most proven is the carbine I built [with lots of help] trained with and used during desert brutality 2021. It performed flawlessly in the moon dust of southern Utah. Zero breakage or loose parts.

Lower receiver:
LMT stripped
Colt LPK with ALG trigger
Geissele stock tube
JP captured recoil system
Rogers super stock, Magpul SL grip

Upper:
BCM blemished [can't find the blemish]
Colt skinny barrel cut to 14.5 by Adco [small shoulder added by them just behind the FH]
Centurion carbine cut out handguard
All the above assembled by Adco
Colt BCG
Geissele charging handle

Optics: Aimpoint Comp M4 with SIG Juliet 4X magnifier

I couldn't be happier with this set up.

sounds nice!

pics!

bamashooter
02-16-22, 09:57
Have assembled plenty. Have never "custom-built" a gun. Have stoned a couple of trigger assemblies and modified a few 1911s beyond simple parts swapping. I assume "custom" refers to cutting, grinding, polishing, welding, etc?

1986s4
02-16-22, 10:20
Have assembled plenty. Have never "custom-built" a gun. Have stoned a couple of trigger assemblies and modified a few 1911s beyond simple parts swapping. I assume "custom" refers to cutting, grinding, polishing, welding, etc?

To me "custom" has a wide definition. In my case it includes buying parts and having the construction done to my specs by a trusted 'smith to actually modifying, fitting and installation of a part. I don't have the skills or tools to do a lot of the latter so most of my "custom" work is research, buying and getting it done to my specs by someone I trust to do the job right.

ViniVidivici
02-18-22, 00:32
Good call. I updated mine:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?212702-SPR-build&p=3012954#post3012954

SBRSarge
02-18-22, 01:32

BCM blem upper (can’t find the blem)
Odin 18” 6mm ARC barrel thermal fitted
Detroit Gun Works lower
Geissele SD-E trigger
Coda Evolution carbon fiber hand guard
Trijicon 4-16 AccuPower

Sub moa with boring consistency

AndyLate
02-18-22, 20:31
I'm always interested in range reports on these Custom builds... but rarely see them. I have lurked on here for awhile before joining, and always wondered that...

I mean if your proud enough to build something lets see how it performs.. snap a pic of the zero target or anything.. maybe a few details of what brands of ammo you used etc...Did you run it in a carbine class and really shake out the build or was it just a range plinker.. maybe a zero report/ 100 rd report/ 1000 rd after action report from a class you attended.... did GB loosen up cause it you didn't use Loctite or dimpled, or castle nut cause it wasn't staked...... it will / would help others learn a little more about their builds

I'm sure I will get flamed by some older members for broaching this subject but... I was just curious

I "built" one AR to be more of a precision gun than my other ARs and I shoot groups with it with decent ammo, handloads, etc. How many pictures of groups between .75 - 1.5" fired at 100 y/m would really be interesting to members? I don't really shoot the others for groups, nor would my grouping with an RDS or LPVO that tops out at 4x really represent what the gun is capable of.

The ARs I build to be trouble free guns are trouble free. A little bit of reading here goes a long way towards building boring guns that just work.

The most telling pics would be the bags and bins of fired cases from the ammo I have run through my ARs.

Andy

WornOutGrunt
02-19-22, 06:03
I "built" one AR to be more of a precision gun than my other ARs and I shoot groups with it with decent ammo, handloads, etc. How many pictures of groups between .75 - 1.5" fired at 100 y/m would really be interesting to members? I don't really shoot the others for groups, nor would my grouping with an RDS or LPVO that tops out at 4x really represent what the gun is capable of.

The ARs I build to be trouble free guns are trouble free. A little bit of reading here goes a long way towards building boring guns that just work.

The most telling pics would be the bags and bins of fired cases from the ammo I have run through my ARs.

Andy

I think the main focus of my post was to get members to share some of their builds parts and to showcase some of the results after some use or 'Shaking out". Maybe to display some of their accuracy results with particular barrel / ammo combo's ( yes I know each barrel is a different animal.. even from same mfg) but maybe match ammo vs std ammo..... I don't know.. I was interested... anyone can say they build flawless AR's which shoot XM193 into one hole at 500yds ( LOL)

Maybe some one might be interested in seeing pics of bags and bins of spent cases... you never know.. some guys are into stuff like that

Just thought it might be an interesting post... but I'm and FNG on here so what do I know..

ViniVidivici
02-19-22, 11:38
Show us one you've built, and results, etc. Join the club.

ETA: not sure why anyone would be "into" seeing bags of spent brass, unless they've got a wierd brass fetish....

Me, I keep all my brass loaded.

AndyLate
02-19-22, 12:12
Show us one you've built, and results, etc. Join the club.

ETA: not sure why anyone would be "into" seeing bags of spent brass, unless they've got a wierd brass fetish....

Me, I keep all my brass loaded.

I guess my point was that bags of spent brass is pretty boring, just as pictures of "meh" targets would be.

I definitely have plenty of cases that are not loaded. I normally remove primer crimps on a bunch of brass and reload that until its time to prep a new batch. I bought and fired a ton of factory ammo pre - 2019.

Andy

AndyLate
02-19-22, 12:33
I think the main focus of my post was to get members to share some of their builds parts and to showcase some of the results after some use or 'Shaking out". Maybe to display some of their accuracy results with particular barrel / ammo combo's ( yes I know each barrel is a different animal.. even from same mfg) but maybe match ammo vs std ammo..... I don't know.. I was interested... anyone can say they build flawless AR's which shoot XM193 into one hole at 500yds ( LOL)

Maybe some one might be interested in seeing pics of bags and bins of spent cases... you never know.. some guys are into stuff like that

Just thought it might be an interesting post... but I'm and FNG on here so what do I know..

I didn't intend to come off as such as a$$.

My best build is boring - I bought a complete 16" LW URG + BCG + GF CH + Troy folding rear BUIS from BCM and assembled a stripped NodakSpud lower using BCM hard parts (including PNT trigger). Furniture is a BCM PG, MagPul CRT buttstock, and MOD midlength MOE handguards. I added a IWI QD port and light mount, a Surefire G2 flashlight, a BFG sling, and a MRO in an ADM QD mount.

Why is it boring? It just works and is not particularly modern or remarkable.

I posted some pics when I put it together years ago. I have done nothing remarkable with it and don't have the camera skills of some of our members - there really is nothing to report or document with pics.

On the flip side, we have some amazing members who post plenty of pics of cool ARs doing cool things, so I live vicariously through them :)

Andy

WornOutGrunt
02-19-22, 13:20
I myself have Never built any AR's .. I have only purchased factory ones...(ones that produce mediocre 2-2.5 moa groups)... thus the curiosity aspect of my original post...and seeing what higher quality parts produce for accuracy and reliability.

I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing contest ( as I noted in my original post I figured I would get flamed cause I'm just am just an FNG on here) so I will close this posting by saying my intent was merely to see what others have... and what results parts builds can produce.. that's all... I have thought about building a few different uppers to be able to change out as needs dictate..but as of now I have not delved into that world for financial reasons..

I have read many posts on the Custom Build sub form.... but would go blind if I read ALL the pages and looked at ALL the pics.

I will EXFIL for now and if anyone chooses to continue to add to this I will continue to lurk in the shadows...

BTW... I'm almost certain there is some weird subculture of people out there which are somewhat aroused by seeing bags/boxes of empty brass.....just saying...that might be a great thread to start in the future....

AndyLate
02-19-22, 16:20
I myself have Never built any AR's .. I have only purchased factory ones...(ones that produce mediocre 2-2.5 moa groups)... thus the curiosity aspect of my original post...and seeing what higher quality parts produce for accuracy and reliability.

I have thought about building a few different uppers to be able to change out as needs dictate..but as of now I have not delved into that world for financial reasons.

BTW... I'm almost certain there is some weird subculture of people out there which are somewhat aroused by seeing bags/boxes of empty brass.....just saying...that might be a great thread to start in the future....

2.0 - 2.5 MOA is not bad for an AR, depending on the ammo used. IMHO, it would be challenging to consistently build uppers that outshoot a Colt M4A1 without spending twice what the Colt uppers run. Same case with reliability, its pretty hard to top a Colt or (better manufacturer).

Spare uppers in my house seem to grow lowers. I was going to build a quality lower with 5.56, 6.5 or 6.8, and 22 LR uppers. Now I have a 5.56 gun and a dedicated 22 LR gun..

Yeah people get their kicks out of the weirdest things.

If you haven't yet, make sure you check out Stickman's sub-forum if you haven't, by the way https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?257-Stickman

Andy

Dust devil
02-21-22, 03:52
The first upper I built/assembled was a LR308.

It's on a nice lower I won't mention.

It shot a 6" group at 1,000 yards once, 10" pretty regularly because I suck at reading wind and just try to shoot in lulls.

At 100 yards it shot a 3/4" group during break in which would have been a 3/8" group if i hadn't pulled my last shot.

That's all with Hornady 140/147 grain AMAX/ELD-M and a $200 Criterion 24" bull barrel.

I screwed up the parts selection a lot and wound up having to do a lot of filing and machining to get everything together. The only DPMS parts are the LPK (beside the trigger and takedown pins) and the tube handguard.

If it shot 2 MOA i would have been tempted to throw it in the trash.

I won't pay more than a budget price on a barrel that I can't expect sub-MOA groups from. I've been pleasantly surprised by a $50 Remington barrel and an $80 Foxtrot Mike also so in my opinion it's rather easy to beat Colt.

Hexxus
02-22-22, 19:27
The first upper I built/assembled was a LR308.

It's on a nice lower I won't mention.

It shot a 6" group at 1,000 yards once, 10" pretty regularly because I suck at reading wind and just try to shoot in lulls.

At 100 yards it shot a 3/4" group during break in which would have been a 3/8" group if i hadn't pulled my last shot.

That's all with Hornady 140/147 grain AMAX/ELD-M and a $200 Criterion 24" bull barrel.

I screwed up the parts selection a lot and wound up having to do a lot of filing and machining to get everything together. The only DPMS parts are the LPK (beside the trigger and takedown pins) and the tube handguard.

If it shot 2 MOA i would have been tempted to throw it in the trash.

I won't pay more than a budget price on a barrel that I can't expect sub-MOA groups from. I've been pleasantly surprised by a $50 Remington barrel and an $80 Foxtrot Mike also so in my opinion it's rather easy to beat Colt.

You can squeeze much better than 2 MOA out of a Colt barrel with better loads. 2 MOA is roughly what you'll get with factory bulk M855 or XM193.

davidjinks
02-23-22, 10:28

I don’t have any pics of my targets, deleted a bunch of photos I didn’t need.

However, my 2 latest custom builds were built by Retro Arms Works. The others were built by HCS, MK12 MOD1 and RECCE.

With .223 match, I can hold just under an inch all day with any of my MK12 and RECCE rifles. My one custom upper from RAW will hold 1/2 in with the same match ammo. Using MK262, they shoot right at an inch, maybe a little over.

RAW builds consist of V7 GI upper, V7 Enlightened rail, Colt BCG, V7 16” barrel 1:7 poly, the other is a Douglas MK12 1:8 18” barrel.

MegademiC
02-23-22, 16:28
Love me some urx III. What length?

Yeah, I love it. Its the full size
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5a5ylyu62g9te5/20220223_173114~2.jpg?raw=1

Black_Sheep
02-25-22, 11:14
I normally don’t post target pics to avoid trash talking from internet commandos, but here goes…

https://i.imgur.com/z7AcP7M.jpg

This is one of the better 50 yard (from the bench) 10 shot groups from my 14.5 build. The optic is intended for CQB so the reticle doesn’t really do the gun justice at longer ranges. Shooting offhand while standing it has easily met my expectations.

Link to custom build thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?232330-Aero-14-5-quot-Mid-length

02-25-22, 11:31
I normally don’t post target pics to avoid trash talking from internet commandos, but here goes…

https://i.imgur.com/z7AcP7M.jpg

This is one of the better 50 yard (from the bench) 10 shot groups from my 14.5 build. The optic is intended for CQB so the reticle doesn’t really do the gun justice at longer ranges. Shooting offhand while standing it has easily met my expectations.

Link to custom build thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?232330-Aero-14-5-quot-Mid-length

Nothing to be trashed talked there.

Hank6046
02-25-22, 12:06

Nicely done

WornOutGrunt
02-26-22, 06:41
VERY Nice !! Thanks for replying with the pic

turnburglar
02-28-22, 16:06
The two guns are from PSA build kits and the upper was a my spare parts upper.

Everything runs like a raped ape.

The peanut butter gun is the one with the BRT barrel that made that 0.64" group. Probably gonna repaint soon.

https://i.imgur.com/E3XtTx1.jpg

02-28-22, 20:39
Older Noveske barrel on a frankengun.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?234500-PA-PLx-1-8x-ACSS&highlight=

I’ve got no groups to show.

Hank6046
02-28-22, 23:01
Older Noveske barrel on a frankengun.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?234500-PA-PLx-1-8x-ACSS&highlight=

I’ve got no groups to show.

Did you try and post a picture, I don't see it

02-28-22, 23:08
Did you try and post a picture, I don't see it

I did not, and may have missed the point of the thread.

Hank6046
02-28-22, 23:26
I did not, and may have missed the point of the thread.

Fare enough, I did like your post about the Primary Arms LPVO, it was informative. I have an old 1-6 from them but it was maybe $250 and left me wanting more, honestly I really like the Vortex Viper 1-6, I also own the Razor 1-10, its very good but not perfect. LPVO's are a love/hate relationship but I think they are inevitably getting better, I really want to see what the new Primary Arms PLX 1-8 has to offer before going that route, or seeing if the Nightforce NX8 is the better option for a small footprint, weight, LPVO