PDA

View Full Version : REIN, vs OKW, VS malkoff hyper throw

danieljmaunder
02-16-22, 16:17
Getting ready to get a light for a 16" patrol rifle, the base gun is currently set up for 0-500 yards with an lpvo, I've reax the reviews and specs on all of them and they're all solid just can't decide which one would be best for a patrol / recce rifle. Any input is appreciated

TIA

titsonritz
02-16-22, 17:04
The Malkoff uses 123 batteries while the other two use 18350/18650, therefore, IMO are a different class of light.

WickedWillis
02-16-22, 18:35
The Malkoff uses 123 batteries while the other two use 18350/18650, therefore, IMO are a different class of light.

He's right, definitely different classes of light being discussed here.

I bought the mini Rein for my MCX, and I am so impressed with it I might put CD lights on all my guns now. If you're in the market for one, they are currently making all of their Rein line smaller and more compact now, which would be my only minor knock on the one that I own. It's large. YMMV.

danieljmaunder
02-16-22, 18:59
Yeah I agree with the different classes of light, mainly wondering if there are any advantages to the hyper throw over the others, i know the modlight and CD lights are in a whole different class of themselves with candela and batteries. If CD is making their lights smaller thats a plus, although the proprietary tailcap switch is a downside as I'll be running it in conjuction with an atpial so I'd like to be able to use a taps pressure pad, but thats not a dealbreaker of it performs better than a modlight

02-17-22, 07:21
mainly wondering if there are any advantages to the hyper throw over the others,
Its smaller and lighter in comparison to 18650 lights. Its more durable and has a much better beam (IMO) than most other 123 lights for pushing past CQB distance.

mig1nc
02-17-22, 08:55
I would say to evaluate your requirements.

Is battery commonality important with other systems? What battery do they use if so?

Is weight a major factor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-17-22, 09:31

The Malkoff heads can be ran with either 123s or 16xxx rechargeables, and he offers a couple heads that run on the 18xxx batteries. I run 16650s in mine and they perform very well.

I would skip the hyper throw and get the E2XT. That 55,000 candela is really nice.

Defaultmp3
02-17-22, 10:19
If CD is making their lights smaller thats a plus, although the proprietary tailcap switch is a downside as I'll be running it in conjuction with an atpial so I'd like to be able to use a taps pressure pad, but thats not a dealbreaker of it performs better than a modlightCD is also making dual lead switches soon, they've announced that they're coming.

danieljmaunder
02-17-22, 15:23
Weight is not so much of a factor, battery commonality is definitely a plus, gonna have an atpial on the gun as well, of the malkoff heads run of 16650's then I might go with that so I can run either battery situation dependant.

Defaultmp3
02-17-22, 15:33
Weight is not so much of a factor, battery commonality is definitely a plus, gonna have an atpial on the gun as well, of the malkoff heads run of 16650's then I might go with that so I can run either battery situation dependant.Modlite makes Duel Fuel OKW heads: https://modlite.com/products/modlite-okw-dual-fuel-light-head

georgeib
02-17-22, 15:51
Modlite makes Duel Fuel OKW heads: https://modlite.com/products/modlite-okw-dual-fuel-light-head

I wonder why they don't make PLHv2 dual fuel heads. That's too bad.

camoman
02-18-22, 08:21
Im pretty impressed with a few newer lights I've recently acquired, Im even more impressed with my updated L2!
I have a full size rein, E2XTL on an Arisaka body, a M600df, HLX, and a Sky lumens updated Solarforce L2.
@ 1100 lumens, and 71kcd, the L2 outperforms them all.

camoman
05-02-22, 09:29
Double post

grizzman
03-18-23, 00:40
It looks like there are a couple new competitors in the candela race. Modlite has the HOG shown on their website, a new body that uses 21700 batteries and an enlarged head. It's available in a PLHv2 version with 120,000 candela, or as an OKW with 170,000.

It's only available in handheld form at the moment, but it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with a mounting solution for its 1.5" diameter body. The specs state it's fully potted, so it should tolerate recoil as well as any other weaponlight.

titsonritz
03-18-23, 02:19
It looks like there are a couple new competitors in the candela race. Modlite has the HOG shown on their website, a new body that uses 21700 batteries and an enlarged head. It's available in a PLHv2 version with 120,000 candela, or as an OKW with 170,000.

It's only available in handheld form at the moment, but it wouldn't be too difficult to come up with a mounting solution for its 1.5" diameter body. The specs state it's fully potted, so it should tolerate recoil as well as any other weaponlight.

I had a chance to check out Steve Fisher's at his shotgun LL class last month, it is a very serious light. A little large for I'd consider an EDC light though.

grizzman
03-18-23, 21:17
I can comfortably carry an Elzetta Bravo with AVS head when I'm wearing loose fitting cargo shorts, but definitely not with jeans or dockers.

None of the light heads mentioned in this thread would make for a very good EDC tool. For specialized long range use from a small form factor, they excel. I don't carry 2 full sized lights, but having one in a laptop bag or vehicle would make it accessible when it would generally be needed.

danieljmaunder
03-18-23, 21:29
Agreed, the hog would be fantastic for a duty belt application or vehicle based, for every day carry I've been using a surefire stiletto with larger lights being in bags/vehicles etc. . I ended up going with rein 2.0's on my long guns, although an upgrade to the 3.0 duel fuel migbt be in the cards soon. I tried the new turbo surefire and they just don't have enough spill for my needs on rifle lights.

Greenbean
03-22-23, 00:19
Old thread but wanted to add some information:

I say Malkoff, here is why.

Modularity!

I have this hyper throw head on my 16” AR, however I have four or more heads that all fit on a regular Surefire E2 or E1 body. It’s nice being able to swap heads from my EDC pocket light and any head needed.

Regular EDC is a 3/way L,M,H, warm basic head, However I have others if needed.

The fact you can swap on any Surefire heads also makes it a no brained for me.

If your needs arise you can swap on a Surefire head with different primary and IR changeable heads too. That is just awesome compared to years ago.