PDA

View Full Version : Many Saints of Newark, HBO review.

Averageman
02-18-22, 09:53
Let me preface this with "I've read a lot of the reviews". I have to say I enjoyed it and thought the reviews I read were very unfair.
The main character "Dickie" Montesanti wasn't a drug addled drunk as many reviews portrayed him. He was a guy making some hard decisions in tough times.
All in all I feel like it's a good portrayal of how Toni Soprano ended up like he did. All the lighter characters make an appearance, Silvio, Paulie and Carmella.

In all I give it 4 and a half pointy fingers out of five and it's a must see if you're a fan of "The Soprano's"

Tanner
02-18-22, 12:04
Completely enjoyed The Sopranos, great series. Saw "The Many Saints of Newark, thought it was awful. Just because you are James Gandolfini's son does not make you an actor.

gsd2053
02-18-22, 13:29
Didn't even know this show existed. I will be checking it out for sure.

SteyrAUG
02-18-22, 18:25
So I have HBO and can't watch it, HBOMax is no longer supported by tivo. But it isn't even on HBO which I pay for.

aFella
02-18-22, 20:01
So I have HBO and can't watch it, HBOMax is no longer supported by tivo. But it isn't even on HBO which I pay for.
You aren't able to figure out how to bet hbo max on your tv? LMAO

rushca01
02-18-22, 20:26
Loved the Sopranos, one of the few series I have on actual DVD. I was so pumped to watch this movie but was terribly disappointed like Matrix 4 disappointed. The story was weak, James kid was fine but the story was just 100% lacking substance. I would have preferred a mini series or something to this movie.

SteyrAUG
02-18-22, 22:29
You aren't able to figure out how to bet hbo max on your tv? LMAO

So I have an older tv, it relies on tivo. Tivo no longer supports HBO Max. Netflix works, Prime works, but HBO Max app is no longer supported.

I tried to make that really, really clear.

Five_Point_Five_Six
02-19-22, 09:52
So I have an older tv, it relies on tivo. Tivo no longer supports HBO Max. Netflix works, Prime works, but HBO Max app is no longer supported.

I tried to make that really, really clear.

Get a hub device like a Roku then you can get any app you want on your ancient tv.

SteyrAUG
02-20-22, 03:11
Get a hub device like a Roku then you can get any app you want on your ancient tv.

Crappy wifi in my house, roku skip, stutter and hang pretty bad.

What frustrates me most, is for 3 years I had HBO and HBO Max worked just fine. Then one day out of the blue, Mediacom declared their Tivo devices would no longer support HBO Go, Cinemax or Showtime apps. But none of the prices changed and no discounts were offered. They explained I could use these apps on my computer still, they didn't seem to understand why I don't watch TV on my computer or phone.

Averageman
02-20-22, 08:35
Crappy wifi in my house, roku skip, stutter and hang pretty bad.

What frustrates me most, is for 3 years I had HBO and HBO Max worked just fine. Then one day out of the blue, Mediacom declared their Tivo devices would no longer support HBO Go, Cinemax or Showtime apps. But none of the prices changed and no discounts were offered. They explained I could use these apps on my computer still, they didn't seem to understand why I don't watch TV on my computer or phone.

I can sympathize, I live in the Central Texas Hill Country and they are just now coming up with usable WiFi and High-Speed Internet.

gsd2053
02-20-22, 14:28
Completely enjoyed The Sopranos, great series. Saw "The Many Saints of Newark, thought it was awful. Just because you are James Gandolfini's son does not make you an anchor.
This is a serious question. What wasn't to like?

Averageman
02-20-22, 18:49
This is a serious question. What wasn't to like?

The story as I understood it wasn't that this "made" Tony, but that it was a part of what he grew up with. Tony's life wasn't the theme. The theme was this is what these guys deal with and how morality shifts and slides.
How can a "normal" man stay normal and deal with these things? That to me was the center of the story and something Tony took with him into adulthood.