PDA

View Full Version : BCM BFH Barrels

jstone
02-18-22, 22:44
Does anyone know if BCM changed the profile on the BFH barrels? I have had 3 which were bought years ago, and the profile is not government like the standard BFH barrels available today. It's similar to my MRP which has a heavier profile.

georgeib
02-19-22, 04:38
They offer the forged barrels in more than one profile. Pretty sure you can the answer you're looking for by looking through their barrel offerings on their website.

jstone
02-19-22, 10:36
They offer the forged barrels in more than one profile. Pretty sure you can the answer you're looking for by looking through their barrel offerings on their website.

The standard profile is now government. They do offer other profiles, but none close to what I have. I looked through the site. When purchased there was none of the elw profiles. The uppers I have are closer to a heavy or socom like profile.

georgeib
02-19-22, 10:53
The standard profile is now government. They do offer other profiles, but none close to what I have. I looked through the site. When purchased there was none of the elw profiles. The uppers I have are closer to a heavy or socom like profile.Interesting! I guess they're switching up their offerings.

AdalinesDad
02-19-22, 11:26
I noticed this too today, I was going to order the cheapest BFH upper in 14.5 so I could throw a Geissele MK4 13.5 on there and they are mostly all enhanced lightweight now. I kind of like a little weight to my rifles as I feel more stable with it so these super lightweight handguards and tapered profile barrels are not what I’m looking for at the moment.

jstone
02-19-22, 12:51
Interesting! I guess they're switching up their offerings.

The offerings now are completely different from what I have. If I would have known this I wouldn't have let the uppers go so cheap. The ones I have had seem substantially more accurate then the new offerings.

fedupflyer
02-19-22, 22:26
The offerings now are completely different from what I have. If I would have known this I wouldn't have let the uppers go so cheap. The ones I have had seem substantially more accurate then the new offerings.

Based on what data?

jstone
02-19-22, 23:04
Based on what data?

The barrel profile. It's clearly different from anything they currently offer.

fedupflyer
02-19-22, 23:40
The barrel profile. It's clearly different from anything they currently offer.

You are basing accuracy based on barrel profile?

Bro, do you even shoot?

ViniVidivici
02-20-22, 00:45
This should be entertaining.

jstone
02-20-22, 01:52
You are basing accuracy based on barrel profile?

Bro, do you even shoot?

I'm not basing barrel profile on the accuracy. It is the only difference in the barrels and I was wondering if anything had changed in manufacturing. BCM doesn't even offer anything close to the same profile, which to me indicates they changed something.

It's kind of odd that when you look at a barrels designed for accuracy what most have in common is there profile. Regardless of material and how they're rifled when accuracy is the main goal the profile is on the heavier side. What accuracy oriented competition has the top guys using lightweight profiles? A lightweight barrel can be accurate but as a rule accuracy oriented competitions are dominated by barrels with heavier profile. There are always acceptions to the rule, but they are just that acceptions. I shoot but am actually in the process of moving away from it, but clearly your the expert.

grizzman
02-20-22, 02:10
How many years ago did your purchases occur?

I bought my first BFH barrel in 2015, and if I remember correctly my options were the same as they are today.

jstone
02-20-22, 17:10
How many years ago did your purchases occur?

I bought my first BFH barrel in 2015, and if I remember correctly my options were the same as they are today.

Back when the EAG tactical upper came out. It was 2010 to 2012 time frame. It's been so long I cannot put a better time frame on it. I just pulled it out to confirm .750 after the gas block journal is the lightest profile of the barrel. Behind the gas block the diameter is larger than .750.

DG23
02-20-22, 17:46
It's kind of odd that when you look at a barrels designed for accuracy what most have in common is their profile. Regardless of material and how they're rifled when accuracy is the main goal the profile is on the heavier side.

Not odd at all.

Go to the Compass Lake website and look under their 'Match Rifle' barrels tab. The contours there start at medium and go up from there.

One will not find any gov. profile or pencil barrel junk listed anywhere there for good reason...

jstone
02-20-22, 19:04
Not odd at all.

Go to the Compass Lake website and look under their 'Match Rifle' barrels tab. The contours there start at medium and go up from there.

One will not find any gov. profile or pencil barrel junk listed anywhere there for good reason...

I know someone called out one of my posts and tried to get into a dick measuring contest, and show his knowledge to be so far superior to everyone else. So I was being sarcastic.

DG23
02-20-22, 19:59
I know someone called out one of my posts and...

These are all 16" Colts:

https://i.imgur.com/9oLeYfR.jpg

I actually shoot them.

Side by side, with the same exact ammo sometimes...

I wonder if he shoots any?

titsonritz
02-22-22, 14:43
My BCM BFH barrel is their ELW profile.

Exiledviking
02-24-22, 22:13
I noticed this too today, I was going to order the cheapest BFH upper in 14.5 so I could throw a Geissele MK4 13.5 on there and they are mostly all enhanced lightweight now. I kind of like a little weight to my rifles as I feel more stable with it so these super lightweight handguards and tapered profile barrels are not what I’m looking for at the moment.PM sent.