PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Slain student called 911, but no one came in time

Blinking Dog
12-16-08, 13:41
I hate to Monday morning quarterback this police dept, and who knows if a timely dispatch would have saved this lady's life, but regardless it is a darn shame. I have a hard time understanding why the anti's out there don't open their eyes to the fact that the police can't stop crimes in progress. It is up to the citizenry to arm and defend themselves.

And reading this it appears that the issue was with a dispatcher, not necessarily the LEOs out doing their thing. But I ask you, would you rather trust your life to a dispatcher or yourself/mate?

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I read this and it really fired me up so I thought I would pass it along as some forum therapy.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/16/grace.coldcase.zimmerman/index.html#cnnSTCText (http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/16/grace.coldcase.zimmerman/index.html#cnnSTCText)

Slain student called 911, but no one came in time

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Brittany Zimmerman, a 21-year-old college student who wanted to be a doctor, called 911 as she was being attacked by a stranger, police say.

But the police did not come for 48 minutes. By that time, Zimmerman was dead. Her fiance found her body.

Although the dispatcher claimed later to have heard nothing, the 911 tape captured screams, gasps and what sounds like a struggle, according to the court documents.

Spring was in the air when college student Zimmerman returned April 2 from classes at the University of Wisconsin to the off-campus apartment she shared with her fiance, Jordan Gonnering.

He was out when she arrived home. He discovered her body when he returned.
Zimmerman had been stabbed multiple times in her chest, near her heart. She'd also been beaten and strangled, according to warrants released recently.

Zimmerman managed to call 911 at 12:20 p.m. The call was taken by the Dane County 911 center and an internal investigation revealed the dispatcher did not hear any sounds that would signal an emergency.

Because of that, police were not sent to the apartment until 48 minutes after Zimmerman made the call. Her fiance was already there.

Dane County has taken some harsh criticism from the public regarding the delay, and tough questions have been raised about whether a prompt response might have saved Zimmerman's life.

Police are still looking for her killer.

"We are working diligently on this case, have generated significant leads, and are making progress," said Joel De Spain of the Madison Police Department.
The police said they believe Zimmerman was attacked by a stranger. Her apartment door showed signs of forced entry.

After interviews with Zimmerman's family, friends and acquaintances, investigators determined there was no personal motive for the attack.
"In fact, we have not been able to determine any motive yet in this case," De Spain said. He emphasized that police have no reason to believe Zimmerman was the victim of a serial killer.

During the investigation, police have tracked leads pointing to vagrants in Zimmerman's off-campus neighborhood. The vagrants often would knock on doors and beg for money.

"We are still investigating this avenue, but at this time we have not been able to develop any specific suspects," De Spain said.

Zimmerman's family and friends describe her as a loving, warm young woman, who had much to look forward to. She was engaged to the love of her life and had dreams of earning a medical degree, they said. She was idealistic, and her goal was to help people, not to earn a large salary, they said.

Other details in the released warrants reveal that Zimmerman was murdered in her bedroom, that her cell phone was found in "parts," and that her bloody slippers and bloody computer paper were recovered.

The murder weapon is described as a knife, two to five inches long. Police are not saying whether they have recovered it.

DNA was collected from Zimmerman's body, as well as hair, blood samples, footprints and fingerprints. So far, no match has been made to a suspect.

Zimmerman's family is offering a $14,000 reward, and Crime Stoppers is offering $1,000 for tips leading to the arrest and/or conviction of anyone responsible for Zimmerman's death. Please call the tip line at 608-266-6014.

Buckaroo
12-16-08, 14:45
I saw that in the news today and said a prayer for the family.

I cannot imagine how angry the Fiance must be.... May God rest her soul and may the dirt-bag that did this suffer 10x worse than she did.

Buckaroo (who has a daughter starting college next fall)

Business_Casual
12-16-08, 15:02
She was idealistic, and her goal was to help people, not to earn a large salary, they said.

What place does that have in the article?

M_P

rubberneck
12-16-08, 15:10
May she rest in peace. I doubt that even if 911 had immediately dispatched help that they would have arrived in time to save her.

As responsible gun owners we have all accepted the fact that when seconds mean the difference between life and death help is only minutes away and have acted accordingly. It is a sad reminder that we alone are responsible for our own safety.

Dave L.
12-16-08, 15:11
What place does that have in the article?

M_P

It's CNN, apparently anyone who what's to make more than minimum wage is "privileged and greedy".

I'll also say a prayer for her family.

warpigM-4
12-16-08, 15:35
what a f'ed up world we live in:(

Gentoo
12-16-08, 16:26
At my department we have problems with the 911 handsets all the time. The people are talking and it can be recorded, but because the handsets and cords are el-cheapo pieces of shit, sometimes you can't hear anything.

But we always follow up with both a call back using the regular phone line and sending an officer to the ANI/ALI address, if we have it.

However, not all departments have a policy of sending a unit to 911 incomplete calls. Sounds like this is one of them.

The article didn't say if she used a landline or cell phone. If she used a cell, and the operator heard dead air and tried to call back and got a busy signal or voice mail, s/he would just notate it in the log because there isn't much you can do at that point, and accidental dead air calls from 911 cell phones are pretty common.

Still 911 is no substuite for 9mm.

CarlosDJackal
12-16-08, 16:32
... Zimmerman managed to call 911 at 12:20 p.m. The call was taken by the Dane County 911 center and an internal investigation revealed the dispatcher did not hear any sounds that would signal an emergency.

Because of that, police were not sent to the apartment until 48 minutes after Zimmerman made the call. Her fiance was already there...

I am confused. The article (above) says that the dispatcher heard nothing "that would signal an emergency" and yet below the your victim's picture is captioned: "Brittany Zimmerman's screams and struggle for her life were captured by a 911 tape."

In our jurisdiction a 911 hang-up is always treated as a "real" emergency and an is always Officer is sent to investigate if the residence: (a) Has had a history of Domestic Violence; (b) The call back is not answered; or (c) There are sounds in the original or return call that can indicate a problem. They have caught quite a few attackers in this manner.

Even when someone answers the return call an Officer can still be dispatched to the residence depending on their situation and past history.

Maybe they should start considering charging 911 dispatchers who miss such an emergency with negligent homicide if it can be proven that they were in fact, negligent in the performance of their jobs. For example, if the noises were missed by the dispatcher because he or she was goofing around or talking to a co-worker, that would be negligent. But that's JM2CW.

RIP and prayers to her loved ones. :(

ST911
12-16-08, 19:24
Several years ago, there was a study by a telecommunicators organization of some sort (perhaps NENA) that asserted that 25% of misdialed, dropped, or similar 911 calls were prompted by a legitimate incident in progress, usually a DV offense or disturbance. A smaller proportion resulted in an arrest.

Best practices for these 911 calls include a telephone call-back, officer response, and query of pertinent records for address events and person involvements.

Tragic event.

Dane Co / Madison PD are good organizations. Unfortunate for those involved there, as well.

mattjmcd
12-17-08, 11:13
Very sad. Seems to me that even under the best of circumstances, all any cop can be really be expected to do is unroll the crime scene tape and watch as the victim is zipped into a large bag. Still, this seems like a tragic head-scratcher.

Gentoo
12-18-08, 08:07
Maybe they should start considering charging 911 dispatchers AND OFFICERS who miss such an emergency with negligent homicide if it can be proven that they were in fact, negligent in the performance of their jobs. For example, if the noises were missed by the dispatcher because he or she was goofing around or talking to a co-worker, that would be negligent. But that's JM2CW.
(

Fixed.

Still agree?

CarlosDJackal
12-18-08, 08:29
Fixed.

Still agree?

Huh? :confused: 911 calls goes to the 911 dispatcher and unless you are standing right next to them, an Officer will not hear the call until they are told of it. And even then, we cannot respond unless we are dispatched to do so (even if we knew the address).

Maybe you can clarify what are you trolling at? Thanks in advanced. :rolleyes:

variablebinary
12-18-08, 08:39
When seconds count, the police are just minutes away

Saginaw79
12-18-08, 09:34
It seems a lot of people doing these type jobs have gotten lazy and/or creless latley. Theres been 6 incidents here recently where a dispatcher screwed the pooch during an emergency

Aray
12-18-08, 11:23
911 is no substuite for 9mm.

That sounds like a sig line to me.

faucoba
12-18-08, 14:07
I think people need to take their personal security into there own hands. 911 under most circumstances merely reports crimes that have already occurred.
We call it "the first five minutes". You stay alive the first five minutes, we'll handle the rest.

Saginaw79
12-18-08, 14:30
I think people need to take their personal security into there own hands. 911 under most circumstances merely reports crimes that have already occurred.
We call it "the first five minutes". You stay alive the first five minutes, we'll handle the rest.

Problem is people are taught from childhood by the Police and government, heck even schools to never ever do anything, call the Police/Fire dept etc and let the proffesionals with training handle it. Dont ever do anything

so on and so forth

boltcatch
12-18-08, 19:16
Fixed.

Still agree?

Nothing in the article indicates that any officers were at fault and, quite frankly, I don't think ANYONE can reasonably float the idea that officers failing to respond to an incident when they have been dispatched to do so is a widespread problem.

I'm certain that the responding officers were and still are incredibly pissed off. They had a job to do and it appears that someone's else's ****up kept them from doing it, and while it certainly would not be their fault, they're probably pretty upset about the whole mess.

I'm not a law enforcement cheerleader by any means, but I extend those who volunteer to run to the sound of gunfire the respect and gratitude they deserve until proven otherwise.

kihnspiracy
12-18-08, 23:16
I am not LEO, but it seems to me if someone calls 911 and they are unable to tell the dispatcher whats going on, send a unit over to check thing out. I also think that it is up to the individual to provide their own security over their own life. I.E. have a gun and know how and when to use it.

Bat Guano
12-18-08, 23:18
ANOTHER avoidable tragedy.

The notion that really bad things can and will not happen to you (because you are special/priveleged/a nice person/don't want to think about it) is the mindset of a child. Harsh, but true.

Taught my daughter how to use the Glock 19 I gave her from age 13 on. At age 20 I sent her and the gun to Gunsite. My wife shoots better than most LEOs around here. My daughter in law is new to the game but has an SP-101 and the will to use it.

Otherwise, prepare to be herded around in bleating groups and think happy thoughts. :rolleyes: