PDA

View Full Version : A man makes a plan, god laughs. How a broken firing pin changes plans. Glock 45.

RMiller
02-22-22, 06:53
I just upgraded my Glock 45 MOS with a CHPWS plate and a Holosun 509T.

I went to do what any responsible firearm owner would do, test the setup and get a proper zero.

I didn't even get a shot off. FTF, tap rack. FTF, tap rack, FTF... drop the mag and dump the round.

Checked the rounds and they didn't even have the slightest dimple in the primer.

Lock the slide back, push the plunger with my finger and I don't see the tip of the striker.

So, I pop the slide off the pistol, and disassemble. Yep, broken. Luckily, I brought a rifle too and spent my range day with it.

This pistol has 5-6 thousand rounds since fall of 2019. Far more in dry fire.

I have emailed Glock, hoping they can help fix this paper weight by sending a replacement.

https://i.imgur.com/IXtLAmE.jpg?1

gaijin
02-22-22, 07:16
Does anyone make a superior FP for a Glock? I know there's a plethora of aftermarket suppliers for all things Grok. (Not a Glock guy, forgive any unintended ignorance)

RMiller
02-22-22, 07:44
Does anyone make a superior FP for a Glock? I know there's a plethora of aftermarket suppliers for all things Grok. (Not a Glock guy, forgive any unintended ignorance)

There are for Gen 1-4.

The only Gen 5 firing pin I found was some high speed skeletonized thing.

**Edit, then I googled Gen 5 firing pin to find the one I mentioned above and found Suarez Intl makes a more palatable looking "lightweight" steel fp.

https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-faceshooter-np3-lightweight-steel-firing-pin-gen-5/

Inkslinger
02-22-22, 08:38
There are for Gen 1-4.

The only Gen 5 firing pin I found was some high speed skeletonized thing.

**Edit, then I googled Gen 5 firing pin to find the one I mentioned above and found Suarez Intl makes a more palatable looking "lightweight" steel fp.

https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-faceshooter-np3-lightweight-steel-firing-pin-gen-5/

The name “Face shooter firing pin” is probably enough to make it sell well regardless if it’s a better product or not. Cringe, but now I need one!

jsbhike
02-22-22, 09:54
I would chalk it up to a fluke.

On the Gen 1, Gen 2, and I think early Gen 3, the striker that shipped in the pistols was durable enough to pop through the breech face with enough dry firing.

Experienced that with a Gen 2 19 and got a refurbished Gen 3 back from Glock after sending it in +$100 if I recall correctly.

Biggy
02-22-22, 10:42
For Gen 5 pistols, I’d just get another factory Glock OEM mim striker for it but I would not do any really excessive dry firing.
If I needed a replacement striker for a Glock Gen 1-4 pistol *I* would get one from Shadow Systems. There Firing Pin/ Striker is machined out of a solid billet of American 17-4 stainless steel and is much more durable than the factory Glock striker. Their firing pin/ strikers are built to match the weight and dimensions of a stock firing pin *exactly* to ensure it fires every time. The first link below is a comparison test between a Glock OEM striker and a Shadow Systems striker, and IMHO has a lot of good information in it.

https://shadowsystemscorp.com/technical-tuesday-glock-firing-pin-vs-stainless-steel-firing-pin/

https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/firing-pin-kit/

https://shadowsystemscorp.com/product/firing-pin/

jsbhike
02-22-22, 11:24
When mine broke, Glock said it really wasn't an issue any more, but recommended snap caps to keep the striker from slamming in to the breech face.

Can't remember if they recommended A Zoom, but that is the brand I got and in the standard layout since that is what the local shop had. Simple enough to chuck the dummy in drill and turn the rim down so the extractor won't have anything to grab when resetting the striker.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/a-zoom/a-zoom-strikercaps

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-22-22, 11:29
Well thats...plain awful.

As a Glock armorer, I have access to their spare parts at their prices, but I don't hassle with dealing with the forms and what not. I just buy from Midwest:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/glock/gun-parts.html

RHINOWSO
02-22-22, 14:39
Suddenly a small BUG makes sense, eh?

:D

titsonritz
02-22-22, 20:49

So does a parts bin.

mark5pt56
02-23-22, 06:31

In my experiences, rare with a Glock. When I was issued a 3rd gen SW, I carried a BUG because of that. When we finally got the Glocks, I had them for some time beforehand, trusted them and didn't feel the need. My two highest round count Glocks, a G17-3 had 80k and the G19-4, 50k. No parts on the 19 broke and the 17 had a trigger reset spring and a locking block pin break around 50k. If you are aggressive on the trigger, it will still work w/o the spring, the LB pin, I just removed the slide stop and the other pin half and shot the rest of the week until went to the bar to get a new one.

RMiller
02-23-22, 06:34
The name “Face shooter firing pin” is probably enough to make it sell well regardless if it’s a better product or not. Cringe, but now I need one!

Yeah, not the best name. But it could get me going.

For Gen 5 pistols, I’d just get another factory Glock OEM mim striker for it but I would not do any really excessive dry firing.

I have dryfired many other glocks far more without ever having an issue.

It seems to be more of an issue with some batches of glocks. As a matter of fact, there is another guy with a video on youtube that had the exact same failure in a G45.

When mine broke, Glock said it really wasn't an issue any more, but recommended snap caps to keep the striker from slamming in to the breech face.

Can't remember if they recommended A Zoom, but that is the brand I got and in the standard layout since that is what the local shop had. Simple enough to chuck the dummy in drill and turn the rim down so the extractor won't have anything to grab when resetting the striker.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/a-zoom/a-zoom-strikercaps

I'd say half the time I was using the glock branded snap caps for reloads, etc.

Yeah a back up gun would now give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

So does a parts bin.

I do have spare parts, just not a striker or recoil unit. OEM units have pretty much been sold out for over a year solid now.

RMiller
02-23-22, 06:51
I did receive a reply yesterday from Glock.

They want me to send the slide/gun back for inspection to make sure my slide isn't what damaged the firing pin.

Only then will they provide the replacement. I'm just not keen on sending a slide out, especially when I already found a tool steel firing pin for $24 (show's $30 but was on sale in the cart). I get the CYA, and not everyone is mechanically inclined. Yet, it's their product that failed. It's also annoying that i would have to take my BUIS, Red Dot, and Plate off that i just put on.

In my mind I feel stainless, or tool steel is a better material than MIM.

I also found this kit, it's stainless steel, and also includes the spring, sleeve, and cups.

https://www.l2dcombat.com/gen-5-striker-kit-9mm

I swear google gives me new/different results every time.

jsbhike
02-23-22, 07:11
I did receive a reply yesterday from Glock.

They want me to send the slide/gun back for inspection to make sure my slide isn't what damaged the firing pin.

Only then will they provide the replacement. I'm just not keen on sending a slide out, especially when I already found a tool steel firing pin for $24 (show's $30 but was on sale in the cart). I get the CYA, and not everyone is mechanically inclined. Yet, it's their product that failed. It's also annoying that i would have to take my BUIS, Red Dot, and Plate off that i just put on.

In my mind I feel stainless, or tool steel is a better material than MIM.

I also found this kit, it's stainless steel, and also includes the spring, sleeve, and cups.

https://www.l2dcombat.com/gen-5-striker-kit-9mm

I swear google gives me new/different results every time.

It sucks, but very well could be the slide. I wasn't aware that was happening on Gen 5 models so considering Glock's history on incidents that would get an out in the open recall notice anywhere else, this might be a very strong indicator of a slide issue.

Years ago I had a Springfield 1911 crack the firing pin stop so I replaced it with an Ed Brown(Hard Core? lifetime warranty part) and seems like it cracked in about a year, so I assumed some dimensional error in the slide although the Brown warranty replacement held up the rest of the time I had the pistol.

RHINOWSO
02-23-22, 07:12
So does a parts bin.
Yup, figured that out pre-2016.

Be able to support your Glocks FOREVER if needed.

RHINOWSO
02-23-22, 07:14
In my experiences, rare with a Glock. When I was issued a 3rd gen SW, I carried a BUG because of that. When we finally got the Glocks, I had them for some time beforehand, trusted them and didn't feel the need. My two highest round count Glocks, a G17-3 had 80k and the G19-4, 50k. No parts on the 19 broke and the 17 had a trigger reset spring and a locking block pin break around 50k. If you are aggressive on the trigger, it will still work w/o the spring, the LB pin, I just removed the slide stop and the other pin half and shot the rest of the week until went to the bar to get a new one.

Agree, but unless the probability of something happening is 0.00%, do something long enough and it will happen. Math don't lie.

RMiller
02-23-22, 07:52
Here's a picture of the channel. Besides the few brass shavings it seems clear and good to go.

No cracking at the breach face on either side. Nothing obviously out of place.

https://i.imgur.com/R5MDx5M.jpg?1

RHINOWSO
02-23-22, 07:53
I'd just send it back to Glock, but do you as you do.

ST911
02-23-22, 08:52
I just upgraded my Glock 45 MOS with a CHPWS plate and a Holosun 509T.
I went to do what any responsible firearm owner would do, test the setup and get a proper zero.
I didn't even get a shot off. FTF, tap rack. FTF, tap rack, FTF... drop the mag and dump the round.
Checked the rounds and they didn't even have the slightest dimple in the primer.
Lock the slide back, push the plunger with my finger and I don't see the tip of the striker.
So, I pop the slide off the pistol, and disassemble. Yep, broken. Luckily, I brought a rifle too and spent my range day with it.
This pistol has 5-6 thousand rounds since fall of 2019. Far more in dry fire.
I have emailed Glock, hoping they can help fix this paper weight by sending a replacement.

Not common, not unheard of. Usually occurs at the low end with a slide/pin problem, or with extreme use. Replace with OEM, source the part or send it in.

Good opportunity to remind all to-
1) have a complete set of internals for your most used gun(s),
2) have other critical spare parts,
or 3) have three - one you vet then carry/rely on, one you shoot, and a spare.

titsonritz
02-23-22, 14:56
Not common, not unheard of. Usually occurs at the low end with a slide/pin problem, or with extreme use. Replace with OEM, source the part or send it in.

Good opportunity to remind all to-
1) have a complete set of internals for your most used gun(s),
2) have other critical spare parts,
or 3) have three - one you vet then carry/rely on, one you shoot, and a spare.

or 4) all of the above. (at least that is how I play the game)

RMiller
02-24-22, 07:57
I think sourcing parts is my best option at the moment. It's just a matter of finding Gen 5 parts in stock.

Glock has come back and told me I can just send the striker assy in and they will send me a replacement.

There are no known issues with slides. But there have been broken firing pins, albeit "rare".

ST911
02-25-22, 20:45
or 4) all of the above. (at least that is how I play the game)

Agree. I stand corrected!

RMiller
02-27-22, 10:47
I sent the firing pin back to Glock.

In the meantime I have that Suarez unit in there.

I am going to get this thing zeroed today.

RMiller
03-06-22, 09:07
It would appear I have a package heading back to me from Glock.

I did buy the Suarez and the L2D firing pins on the meantime. Here's some observations in case anybody wants a spare to float in their parts pin.

The Suarez is a light weight firing pin and with the NP3 coating feels very light and crisp (like breaking a carrot) vs the "mushy" stock trigger. It was surprising at first.

The thing I didn't care for was the trigger pull, it felt to light like it didn't have the best sear engagement. It also lacked the reverb the heavier fp has (not sure of I would count that as a pro or con). It also didn't have free play after the trigger is pulled.

The L2D came as an assembly. So it included the cups, sleeve, firing pin, and striker spring. Its a standard weight and the "feel" of pulling the trigger is just like OE, but a tad smoother. it behaves like the OE unit did and has free play with the slide forward and trigger pulled.

Overall, If the OE Gen5 striker assembly isn't available, I would go with the L2D Combat. Time will tell how it performs at a higher round count.

RMiller
03-09-22, 07:19
I received my OEM firing pin assy from Glock.

I'm one happy camper.

I have my OEM and a decent spare assy.