PDA

View Full Version : Holster suggestions

I_trained_for_this
02-23-22, 09:42
Anyone have any good suggestions for a holster for every day open carry? Current setup is Springfield xd9 with an O light compact light/laser setup so it fits relatively snug to the gun. Can’t seem to find any holster that are made for carry with a light. Can be either hip mount or drop leg.

ViniVidivici
02-23-22, 10:10
Whatever you choose, (if this is in an environment among other humans) I strongly advise something well-made with at least lvl 1 active retention.

I would look and see if Safariland has an option for your gun/light combo.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-23-22, 10:26
Are you LE? Plainclothes or uniformed? Armed citizen? Looking to conceal under a jacket? Under a shirt? Is this your wilderness setup or are you carrying around the city?

I can probably answer all these questions based off your light and gun choice. Armed citizen planning to open carry everywhere he goes regardless of concealment?

I'm all for your right to do that, and maybe you live in some super conservative Wyoming town where everyone does it, but I certainly don't advocate flashing your XD Olight combo around. As neither the pistol nor the light is quality, I don't know of any quality holster manufacturers that would support that combination in their product line. Maybe try Bravo Concealment or Vedder Holsters, they tend to support a wide variety of guns. Crossbreed, if it still exists, used to be the XD darling 10 to 15 years ago.

As far as your screen name: have you actually trained for this? Have you drilled weapons retention til you were blue in the face? Because open carry is a pretty big advertisement to those who may want to take your gun from you.

Welcome to this forum. I suggest spending more time reading and searching our archives. Seek out quality training before you buy anything else. If your XD Olight survives a real training class, cool! If not, time to get a quality pistol and light: G48 or P365xl with a TLR7sub light will conceal under a light jacket in an owb holster but still give you near Fullsize gun performance and reliability.

czgunner
02-23-22, 13:42
Anyone have any good suggestions for a holster for every day open carry? Current setup is Springfield xd9 with an O light compact light/laser setup so it fits relatively snug to the gun. Can’t seem to find any holster that are made for carry with a light. Can be either hip mount or drop leg.Are you the same person (different screen name) that asked about the chest holster?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

L-2
02-23-22, 14:08
https://www.galcogunleather.com/halo-belt-holster_8_1_1152.html?filters=1
OP, see if this Galco "Halo" leather holster will suit your needs/wants.

Ideally, choose a system all at the same time: gun, light, and holster. Then buy all three before either one of the components is discontinued or somehow changes specs/availability.

titsonritz
02-23-22, 16:42
This is why I run a Glock with a SF X300U.

I_trained_for_this
02-23-22, 20:45
Are you the same person (different screen name) that asked about the chest holster?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

No. Just joined the forum a week and a half ago.

I_trained_for_this
02-23-22, 21:00
Whatever you choose, (if this is in an environment among other humans) I strongly advise something well-made with at least lvl 1 active retention.

I would look and see if Safariland has an option for your gun/light combo.

I typically carry a level 3 retention holster when no mounted light is being used. Just kinda looking around for a setup for when I’m out on my ranch and typically haven’t to deal with mountain lions.

RWH24
02-23-22, 23:25
For Leather try DeSantis, DM Bullard

Backfire
03-04-22, 16:06
I have used tier 1 centurion (kydex upgrade) gcode XST, and safariland, all around built like a tank and will last a lifetime. I use the RTI system that makes it stick too far out for open carry, but there are other systems to use.

Occasionally use bravoconcealment OWB get the flat belt loops to snug it up tighter against the body

MegademiC
03-04-22, 19:53
I typically carry a level 3 retention holster when no mounted light is being used. Just kinda looking around for a setup for when I’m out on my ranch and typically haven’t to deal with mountain lions.

Ive used a trex ragnarock for uspsa for years, durable, retention range is wide, compatible with safariland 3-hole pattern mounts, and great CS in my limited experience.

If youre not around people, trex arms holsters are great. If you are with people in public, you'll want retention (safariland).

Dan_B
03-05-22, 09:24
… Just kinda looking around for a setup for when I’m out on my ranch and typically haven’t to deal with mountain lions.

With a 9mm?

Anyway, we have coyotes in our area. When take our dogs for a daily walk on our walking trails, I take my 10mm Springfield TRP. Not much fun to carry with extra mags. Near impossible to reach with MN winter gear. I spoke with a very nice lady from Mernickle, and she suggested their 1911 Wild Bunch Modern Series Full Rig. They made it for the larger TRP, and they did an outstanding job. They can make it, or something like it for many different guns.

Mernickle link: https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/1911-Wild-Bunch-Modern-Series-Full-Rig-p211379250

ndmiller
03-05-22, 10:55
Light lists the following two makers on their site and the second one has IWB/OWB with and without clip holsters for your gun. Have no experience with either, but they'll fit.
Werkz Holsters
Just Holster It, LLC

Pappabear
03-08-22, 11:37
Hammer Armament or C&G holsters are two options