PDA

View Full Version : 6.5x55 GWI L

02-23-22, 11:08
A very open ended question: Anyone shooting 6.5x55 GWI L? I haven’t seen any discussion away from the Hide and Accurate Shooter. There’s a cult niche following on those sites.

I can get Swede brass for free, and it seems like an interesting chambering. Its essentially a Swede with the shoulder changed to 30* from 25* and body taper slightly reduced. I’d probably grab two used 6.5x55 rifles, set it back a hair and ream it. Well, a gunsmith would, as I have no lathe. Its dimensionally close enough that fireforming should be not much different than any factory cartridge. Just shoot factory or reasonable handloads in practice. Capacity would reduce the temptation to beat the brass up with pressure vs CM or .260Rem. I’d expect the barrel to last longer than the big 6.5s.

I know there are other very good cartridges out there that could do whatever I want; this one has just happened to catch my interest. I’d be using it for both hunting and non-competitive long-ish range target shooting in the two different rifles. Monolithics for the former, and traditional match/target projos for the latter.

A slightly more precise question: Any pitfalls I should know about?

markm
02-23-22, 13:38
Capacity would reduce the temptation to beat the brass up with pressure vs CM or .260Rem.

That's where I'm switching to small primer pocket brass. LRP brass definitely doesn't hold up long in CM.

A slightly more precise question: Any pitfalls I should know about?

I don't know anything about the round, but I'm the personality type that likes to stay on the beaten path of caliber selection. Parts & Dies and data/info etc are easier to come by in main stay calibers... even factory ammo if needed.

02-23-22, 17:32
I don't know anything about the round, but I'm the personality type that likes to stay on the beaten path of caliber selection. Parts & Dies and data/info etc are easier to come by in main stay calibers... even factory ammo if needed.
No doubt. But, I think I’d be able to use factory 6.5x55. Its a 1891 cartridge “improved” to more modern geometry, but similar enough to fireform with normal loads. And again, the brass is free.

02-23-22, 20:24
That's where I'm switching to small primer pocket brass. LRP brass definitely doesn't hold up long in CM.

Thats the downside of the 6.5CM. Optimized for a remmy short action means the capacity makes you wanna push it. Its a great cartridge, for what its made for. Brass suffers fast if you try to make it more.