PDA

View Full Version : Lower parts kit.

Cane55
02-27-22, 00:15
I wanted to know what you guys think are the top tier lower parts kits (without trigger or grip - just the guts). I see Aero, CMMG, SOLGW etc. What do you think would be the best one to go with to build out a lower? Thanks guys.

-Cane

titsonritz
02-27-22, 00:35
https://sionicsweaponsystems.com/lawenforcement/lower-parts-kit-enhanced/

rainman
02-27-22, 06:17
Have used several SOLGW with good results. No experience with the others you mentioned.

-Rainman

HKGuns
02-27-22, 07:09
Tits sent you a top notch LPK.

In my experience, I limit my LPK to the following brands.

[Colt - Sionics - G-LPK - Wilson Combat]

I have purchased CMMG individual parts for my spares box and they seem ok.

ETA: I don't use the triggers included with any of them. If they come with a trigger, it goes directly into the spares box.

Hammer_Man
02-27-22, 09:40
Another vote for SOLGW, SIONICS, Colt.

ViniVidivici
02-27-22, 09:43
Wow, 5 posts and no BEE CEE EM. But yeah, all those.

gunnerblue
02-27-22, 09:52
I would include BCM in addition to those listed above (except SOLGW, only because I've never used them).

Inkslinger
02-27-22, 09:57
All good suggestions. I will say that I did have a problem with the safety detent on a recent Sionics lpk. I don’t know if it was a defect in the material or what. When I installed the detent, I moved the safety to test the function and it was rough and binding. I disassembled it and the detent stayed in the hole. I had to push it out from inside the safety hole. The detent was deformed by the safety and I could see material from the detent in the channel of the safety. I had to use some fine grit sandpaper on the detent to get it so it would move freely through the hole and the channel on the safety. It seems to be functioning fine, but I’m definitely keeping an eye on it and will replace it if it starts to feel iffy. It was not enough of a problem to dissuading me from buying anymore lpk’s from them.

RUTGERS95
02-27-22, 10:47
Colt, FN, lmt obviously

WOA, Aero, SOGLW are Schmidt and TDP spec'd which is what you want. You do not want use parts that are not tdp as corrosion, salt water, usage wear and even sub freezing temps will affect non tdp lpk. Geiselle for instance, is not tdp and cadmium is not used. kns has been known to be soft metal. not all lpk are created equal

Red*Lion
02-27-22, 11:35
I like Spikes Tactical as well.

Hexxus
02-27-22, 14:41
Colt, FN, lmt obviously

WOA, Aero, SOGLW are Schmidt and TDP spec'd which is what you want. You do not want use parts that are not tdp as corrosion, salt water, usage wear and even sub freezing temps will affect non tdp lpk. Geiselle for instance, is not tdp and cadmium is not used. kns has been known to be soft metal. not all lpk are created equal

Considering there are better options out there than Cadmium plating, and cheaper options. Cadmium is falling to the wayside because of its toxicity and the hoops a company has to go through to be allowed to do the plating process.

Tony617
02-27-22, 15:33
I have used following parts my lowers:

BCM
Spikes Tactical
SOLGW

No complaints with any parts. I tend to buy FCG separately but with BCM parts it does include a PNT trigger in some kits otherwise I just buy a BCM PNT trigger separately.

Right now I am not sure was the parts availability is. I do keep some spare gas rings, firing pins, extractors and, cam pins, etc. I also keep few spare BCGs as well.

RUTGERS95
02-27-22, 18:55
Considering there are better options out there than Cadmium plating, and cheaper options. Cadmium is falling to the wayside because of its toxicity and the hoops a company has to go through to be allowed to do the plating process.

I get where you are going but you missed the point. There are reasons for cadmium and until an qualified alternative is found that meets or exceeds the performance against corrosion and cold weather while the same or similar pricepoint, it works as intended. Question, you ever do saltwater training or artic maneuvers or better yet, see what extended periods in such conditions will do to your lpk? I can assure you, those 'better options' you speak of will not work as well over time and result in issues to your weapon.

I don't disagree that there most assuredly a better way/products, there almost always is but right now, this is the best we have that is proven

I have used following parts my lowers:

BCM
Spikes Tactical
SOLGW

No complaints with any parts. I tend to buy FCG separately but with BCM parts it does include a PNT trigger in some kits otherwise I just buy a BCM PNT trigger separately.

Right now I am not sure was the parts availability is. I do keep some spare gas rings, firing pins, extractors and, cam pins, etc. I also keep few spare BCGs as well.

they all use schmidt so you should have no issues

I agree on keeping spares parts, that is smart. I have a few extra bcgs but a ton of bolts and each rig has a spare bolt and firing pin in my grip.

Pappabear
02-27-22, 18:58
BCM, Sionics and Ive heard SOLGW too is GTG. Via mi old amigo IraqGunz-RIP.

PB

Cane55
02-27-22, 20:05
Thanks fellas. Much appreciated for all your knowledge & wisdom. Will probably go with the SOLGW because that’s all I need. Probably go Geissele trigger & maritime bolt catch.

Swstock
02-27-22, 20:05
https://sionicsweaponsystems.com/lawenforcement/lower-parts-kit-enhanced/
This

The end

Wow, 5 posts and no BEE CEE EM. But yeah, all those.

I havent seen a bcm lpk with no fcg or grip

IALoder
02-27-22, 21:36
I've used and would recommend CMMG, Geissele Super Duty, and RRA. The Geissele is extremely nice, CMMG and RRA are good no frills lpks. Heard good things about SOLGW and Sionics as well.

Cane55
02-28-22, 02:26
Colt, FN, lmt obviously

Is CMMG parts kit as good as Aero, SOLGW etc?

pag23
02-28-22, 05:31

I have had no issues with my CMMG parts kit on one rifle but I don't use the triggers..I prefer Geissele or Larue.

Also have some FCD low parts stuff and SOLGW...

Black_Sheep
02-28-22, 07:44
I’ve used DPMS, Aero and ALG kits. My last few builds I used an Aero “oops” kit for springs and small parts, Colt mag catches, Noveske pivot and takedown pins and Seekins mag catch buttons and bolt catches. It may cost a little more up front but they have been good quality and I’m not paying for parts like FCG’s that I’m not going to use…

markm
02-28-22, 09:04

You MIGHT get good stuff from CMMG, or you might get garbage. They used to be all over the place with where they sources parts from. I wouldn't buy shit from them if it were me.

Hexxus
02-28-22, 09:09
I also wouldn't buy anything from SOLGW. I don't support people with an owner like that.

Don't Tread On Me
02-28-22, 09:24
Surprised Daniel Defense hasn't made the list. Any reason why? Am I missing something and have I been doing it wrong?

Swstock
02-28-22, 12:03
I also wouldn't buy anything from SOLGW. I don't support people with an owner like that.

Like what?

Nevermind, I just googled it. It seems like someone had some problems over a decade ago and really turned things around for himself.

titsonritz
02-28-22, 13:24
Like what?

I'd like to know too.

bobcatdriver
03-02-22, 08:58
I used a White Label Armory on my last build, previously used ALG on two prior. Everything went together nicely, and was a better price than the ALG's.

HKGuns
03-02-22, 09:10
I used a White Label Armory on my last build, previously used ALG on two prior. Everything went together nicely, and was a better price than the ALG's.

They all usually go together nicely. The issue will be premature spring wear and parts breakage / failure. I recently had a bolt catch Spring go soft on one of my earlier builds when I was ignorant to the importance of a high quality LPK.

As luck would have it I found it during maintenance.

bobcatdriver
03-02-22, 10:25
They all usually go together nicely. The issue will be premature spring wear and parts breakage / failure. I recently had a bolt catch Spring go soft on one of my earlier builds when I was ignorant to the importance of a high quality LPK.

As luck would have it I found it during maintenance.
And that issue was with the WLA kit? I have a little over 2000 rds with that weapon, and have not experienced any of those failures at this time.

HKGuns
03-02-22, 17:28
And that issue was with the WLA kit? I have a little over 2000 rds with that weapon, and have not experienced any of those failures at this time.

I did not say I used that particular kit. I’m not familiar with WLA but I would bet all the tea in China it ain’t Colt level quality.

I don’t recall which LPK I used for that particular lower as it was built in the 2006 timeframe.

I know it wasn’t one of my now go to LPK’s I posted above.

ubet
03-02-22, 18:57
Not to hijack said thread, but does Wilson Combat make good lpk? I’m guessing so because it’s Wilson just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
03-03-22, 00:01
Not to hijack said thread, but does Wilson Combat make good lpk? I’m guessing so because it’s Wilson just curious

I've never used them but I would think so. That said, I've been please with who I've used and see no reason to expand.

HKGuns
03-03-22, 06:33

I trust their LPK, I have used them and the quality seems very high. I have four in stock right now. I've literally never had an issue with anything from Wilson Combat.

ubet
03-03-22, 09:00
I trust their LPK, I have used them and the quality seems very high. I have four in stock right now. I've literally never had an issue with anything from Wilson Combat.

Ok thanks. Figured that was the case.

themonk
03-03-22, 10:14
Another vote for SOLGW, SIONICS, Colt.

^^This^^

Back in the day had great luck with Stag kits but have not used one in 10 years. Grant used to get his hands on LMT kits but hard to find now days.

xFREDx
03-03-22, 10:59
SOLGW i have used with good results. however i have been changing out those parts with FCD parts. I wish FCD had a lower parts kit for sale instead of individual pieces only.

steepdrop
03-04-22, 19:47
I have excellent results with Palmetto Arms they are My second choice

Inkslinger
03-04-22, 19:49
I have excellent results with Palmetto Arms they are My second choice

You ever get parts like this from them?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220305/884bc9e403709295f8ff146a39339d34.jpg

steepdrop
03-04-22, 20:37
Never had anything like that worst is missing sear spring LUCKY I guess

markm
03-05-22, 06:50
BCM is the only one I trust completely. The others may have good stuff, but I remember BCM not selling certain parts in past panic/shortages, because the correct materials (bolts, I think... C158) were not available. None of the other venders stop selling product, thus.. they were settling for substitute material for a critical part.

BCM is the original "TDP" producer. That's their thing. Making guns that are a minimum, mil spec.

I won't buy stuff from the Palmetto level venders AT ALL.

steepdrop
03-05-22, 08:03
I will buy what works for Me and who ever wants to buy Gucci parts more power to them

I am happy with My Palmetto parts.

MSplumber
03-05-22, 11:59
Like what?

Nevermind, I just googled it. It seems like someone had some problems over a decade ago and really turned things around for himself.

Dang, I just looked it up too. He even got a 4th DWI as recently as 2019. Guy's obviously still got some issues, not the kind of person I want to associate with or buy things from. Dude has a screw loose.

As for LPK, I typically stick with Shmid/Colt/BCM

Inkslinger
03-05-22, 12:05
I will buy what works for Me and who ever wants to buy Gucci parts more power to them

None of the suggested LPKs in this thread would be considered “Gucci”. They’re just quality products from companies that have pride in what they produce.

Dust devil
03-05-22, 17:44
I've used a grab bag of LPKs, never had a problem beside pin detents making the pins difficult to pop out.

My last several LPKs have been Aero to match Aero receivers. Do those make the good list? They seem fine but I'm in a desert...

I've used DPMS, CMMG and even an AR Stoner.

Which parts are the ones that cause trouble? Like others, I haven't kept track of which have which so wholesale swaps would get expensive. If there are only a few suspect parts I could swap those out on everything I'm not sure about.

ubet
03-06-22, 21:29
Parts kits from reputable manufacturers aren’t much more expensive than from bottom feeders such as psa. Why anyone buys parts from a bottom feeder to save a few dollars is beyond me.

Vegas
03-07-22, 11:37

I see no Gucci parts here recommended, just solid companies with QC depts that don’t rely on the user to test for them. (I might not include Spikes in that because I have no experience).

We seem to have been infiltrated with an uptick of the “just as good” crew lately.

Parts I have used and recommend:

Colt, DD, Giessele, Sionics, BCM

Parts I have had less than desirable results:

Aero, KAK, PSA.

Un-positive safeties, dragging takedown pins are the things that immediately jump out.

markm
03-07-22, 12:56
Parts kits from reputable manufacturers aren’t much more expensive than from bottom feeders such as psa. Why anyone buys parts from a bottom feeder to save a few dollars is beyond me.

I don't get it either.

titsonritz
03-07-22, 13:16
None of the suggested LPKs in this thread would be considered “Gucci”. They’re just quality products from companies that have pride in what they produce.

I see no Gucci parts here recommended, just solid companies with QC depts that don’t rely on the user to test for them. (I might not include Spikes in that because I have no experience).

We seem to have been infiltrated with an uptick of the “just as good” crew lately.

Aero, KAK, PSA.

Un-positive safeties, dragging takedown pins are the things that immediately jump out.

Plenty consider a Colt 6920 to be “Gucci” or "paying for a roll mark" and are content with their bottom of the barrel bullshit like PSA. You know...horse...water.

ubet
03-07-22, 19:32

An uptick in them, and a massive downtick in sme. Wonder if the former has something to do with the latter?

TacticalSpeed
03-07-22, 20:30
I run CMMG in everything. No issues.

Some I swap out the mil-spec FCG for a reduced power FCG from BKF

Two Tone Effect
03-11-22, 12:35
I basically did what OP asked about......I bought a Rock River Arms National Match lower parts kit. That way I get the trigger I want right off the bat.

I'm still pretty new to AR's but that's the route I'm taking for these upcoming two builds.

Jstud220
03-11-22, 12:49
I like SOLGW lower parts kits. Quality components and the nickel Teflon coated mil spec trigger is a lot more crisp and smoother than a traditional mil spec trigger.

Hammer_Man
03-18-22, 23:36
Side note: I’ve also used Geissele’s cheap $50 LPK with good results.

Cane55
03-24-22, 22:30

Aero, KAK, PSA.

Have you ever tried a SOLGW blaster kit (without trigger)?

Dutch110
03-25-22, 09:46

I have. Several times. Quality parts. I think the detents and springs they use are among the best and the coating on the individual parts is awesome.

HKGuns
03-25-22, 11:51
Dang, I just looked it up too. He even got a 4th DWI as recently as 2019. Guy's obviously still got some issues, not the kind of person I want to associate with or buy things from. Dude has a screw loose.

As for LPK, I typically stick with Shmid/Colt/BCM

I’m pretty open minded and am all for giving folks a second chance. I blew this off initially but after reading, man that is some pretty wild shit.

Vegas
03-25-22, 12:20

I have not but they are transparent with where they source their parts from so I would have no concerns using one. They seem to be universally praised also which doesn’t hurt.

Dutch110
03-25-22, 12:26
I’m pretty open minded and am all for giving folks a second chance. I blew this off initially but after reading, man that is some pretty wild shit.

Meh. If I had to limit who I do business with to people who have no issues in their past the list would be pretty short. I read through all of this and here is what I know. He had some issues and run ins with the police. Yet he also credits the police with helping turn his life around. And has donated time and money and product to LEO since then. Does he have a drinking problem? I don't know. A DUI from 3 years ago may mean he has been clean for 3 years. May not. I also know that SOLGW has an industry reputation for stellar customer service and turning out good products. That last part is what I care about and the fact that he has atoned for his earlier mistakes and acknowledged them.