PDA

View Full Version : Force-on-Force training

Blake
12-16-08, 21:39
In light of some recent posts, and my own genuine curiosity. Where can one get some quality force-on-force training? I, have not had the opportunity, outside of MILES gear training, to have good FOF training, with a handgun. While I'm sure there are many out there that conduct this type of training, any specifically to private citizens or those that aren't in SOF or LE orgs.

ranger_sxt
12-17-08, 12:01
LMS Defense, Tactical Response, and Suarez International come immediately to mind...

mohican
12-17-08, 12:03
Best option is MILSIM, paintball or airsoft involving professional people. I mean not the just fun matches. If you have a few rules to make a match seems real, I think that's a way to practice force-on-force.

was21
12-17-08, 12:49
+1 for Suarez International

markm
12-17-08, 13:10
I'd suggest reading the book Training at the Speed of Life before committing to any RBT program.

Wow is that book an eye opener. If you read it, you'll be VERY careful about who you select to get RBT. Bad RBT can do more harm than good. And I'm not just talking about simple safety considerations.

The whole approach to the instruction can make a big difference.

ToddG
12-17-08, 13:47
To follow up on what Mark said, I'd go so far as to ask any potential FOF instructor what he thought of Training at the Speed of Life. If he doesn't immediately know what you're talking about, be very cautious.

I'd ask for a hard copy of their safety protocols.

I'd ask for proof of insurance that clearly indicates that force on force training is covered, as well.

KevinB
12-17-08, 13:57
To follow up on what Mark said, I'd go so far as to ask any potential FOF instructor what he thought of Training at the Speed of Life. If he doesn't immediately know what you're talking about, be very cautious.

I'd ask for proof of insurance that clearly indicates that force on force training is covered, as well.

+1

I've only done SIM's once outside of a .mil environment. I will say that doing it as an individual as opposed to a team isan eye opener.

Keep in mind training scars from bad instructors

ToddG
12-17-08, 14:25
Another worthwhile book on the subject, though from a slightly different perspective (dealing more with DT than shooting) is Peyton Quinn's Adrenaline Stress Conditioning Through Scenario-Based Training.

Leviathan
12-17-08, 19:56
Front Range Training out of Colorado did a Tac Med Class for the Indy Metro and Surrounding SWAT/CIRT Teams that had a FOF component in the afternoon. It was executed well, very relevant to the training topic, and was professional in every way. We used both riffle and hand gun simunitions with our weapons without issue. I am not sure that they do a FOF class only, but I would give them excellent marks.

John Hearne
12-18-08, 18:45
The best force-on-force training that I've found to date is David Blinder's "The Test." He uses dedicated role-players in tightly scripted scenarios and this is the key to good FOF training. www.personaldefensetraining.com

While I haven't done a full-class with him, I have attended brief FOF sessions presented by Karl Rehn and he does a good job as well. www.krtraining.com

CarlosDJackal
12-19-08, 11:55

+1

Before I was certified as a Simunitions Instructor, I attended a FoF class that was put on by an "Instructor" who was not Sim Certified. I was very much surprised to learn just how dangerous that class was after the fact. So much so that I have since refused to participate or assist in that particular Instructor's courses (because he was not very open to suggestions for egotistical reasons).

I do recommend Gabe's Interactive Gunfighting class which reduces the risk and cost by the use of Airsoft equipment. Good luck!!