PDA

View Full Version : Razor company that isn't "woke"?

czgunner
02-28-22, 09:58
I got talking to my wife this morning about this subject.
I used to use Harry's, and before that Gillette. It seems that they are all pandering to the ideology that I don't subscribe to.
Is there a better company I can spend .y money with? I would just buy an American straight edge, but I'd probably leak too much.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

02-28-22, 10:21
I didn’t realize Gillette was woke. I live under a rock, and a 5-pack of Mach 3 blades lasts me a year or two these days. Thanks for the heads up. I’d consider switching if there’s something better.

utahjeepr
02-28-22, 11:17
Was not aware.

Course, I have pretty much gone to Kirkland disposables of late. Yeah, I know (Costco). I'm a bad man, feeding the beast.

But I'm lazy with my consumer decisions.

ETA: If I have to start burning the Irish pennants off my face with a lighter I'm out. Just sayin

ST911
02-28-22, 11:24
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Brand-MotionSphere-Lubrication-Cartridges/dp/B07CZCQ481/

Gabriel556
02-28-22, 11:28
Here’s what I did, but it isn’t a super quick transition. I bought an old (1957) Gillette Fatboy 10 years ago. That was about the cost of a 10 pack of the Fusion blade carts. I then bought a 50 pack of Feather double edge razor blades and have been using that. I have a full beard now so just trimming cheeks and neck, a blade lasts a month. That 50 pack was $9 and since my Fatboy is 65 I feel that’s a way before they went woke. Feather isn’t woke either. Though I don’t have to spend much to get their product (not much marketing).

Averageman
02-28-22, 11:39
Here’s what I did, but it isn’t a super quick transition. I bought an old (1957) Gillette Fatboy 10 years ago. That was about the cost of a 10 pack of the Fusion blade carts. I then bought a 50 pack of Feather double edge razor blades and have been using that. I have a full beard now so just trimming cheeks and neck, a blade lasts a month. That 50 pack was $9 and since my Fatboy is 65 I feel that’s a way before they went woke. Feather isn’t woke either. Though I don’t have to spend much to get their product (not much marketing).

I did the same thing and couldn't be happier, a razor just like Grandpa's, blades last forever and stay pretty sharp.
Just to add to this, if you're still using canned shaving creme you're missing out. I bought a cake of shaving soap and it is the best investment ever. A cake of this stuff lasts four months and you make the lather as thick or thin as you prefer. Also, buy a make-up brush, not a shaving brush.

Johnny Rico
02-28-22, 11:53
Cool beans. I don't use a double razor, preferring a straight, but same principle. I still use a disposable for my upper lip, but no biggie, a disposable now last months and I'm only halfway through the 10 pack of Bic disposables I bought a couple of years ago.

jsbhike
02-28-22, 12:08

Great answer although I prefer Personna medical prep blades over Feathers...seems to hold an edge better.

And I would recommend getting sampler packs off ebay to see what DE blade works with your face and razor combo best.

titsonritz
02-28-22, 13:49
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q85OIE?ots=1&slotNum=23&imprToken=7abfa0f0-8f33-4df0-84d&ascsubtag=[]st[p]cjzy8fmw9001whiy6irtpaeqa[i]JvLUkk[u]2[t]w[r]google.com[d]D[z]m&tag=thestrategistsite-20

3 AE
02-28-22, 15:05
I got talking to my wife this morning about this subject.
I used to use Harry's, and before that Gillette. It seems that they are all pandering to the ideology that I don't subscribe to.
Is there a better company I can spend .y money with? I would just buy an American straight edge, but I'd probably leak too much.

That's why you have "QuikClot" on hand!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-28-22, 15:34
I remember when Dollar Shave Company sent an email to all customers that said if you are a cop, stop buying their razors. So funny when companies go woke, I don’t care, I still buy their razors, it just makes me laugh.

utahjeepr
02-28-22, 15:40
Serious question. How steep is the learning curve with a straight razor. Had barbers use em on me, but not a skill I have developed.

Shave my wrist from time to time after sharpening a blade as a check. That's as close as I have gotten.

TexHill
02-28-22, 16:03
I use a safety razor and blades made by Merkur out of Germany. Best shave I've ever had.

Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00374F5CY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_R8CCBWF7031580WZQ0NJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Straight Shooter
02-28-22, 16:18
This is an excellent thread and something Ive long wondered about myself. SCREW Gillette AND Amazon.
Ive always loved straight razors...were I a richer man Id have a collection of them. But Im horrified to try to learn to use one on myself..tho Ive been shaved 100's of times by one back in the day before AIDS put an end to that. I shave once a week, need to more but I dont care what I look like at work during the week.
Just yesterday I bent down to grab a pck of 10 of my blades and I saw the price increase and said NO.
So, Im looking for a new un-woke brand now myself.

Gabriel556
02-28-22, 16:37
Yep, find an old double edge safety razor, and get a bunch of blades in a sampler pack online. West coast Shaving is a reputable site. https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/razor-blades-sample-packs
I don’t use canned foam, but usually get a tube of Creamo or Proraso. I have some nice badger brushes and soap tubs but I don’t bust those out for trimming around my beard.

There’s (gasp) another forum you can visit too for shaving info, Badger and Blade. You can find tutorials on all of it, and find people who play with razors like we play with guns.

czgunner
02-28-22, 16:40
That's why you have "QuikClot" on hand!Nice!

Johnny Rico
02-28-22, 17:19
Serious question. How steep is the learning curve with a straight razor. Had barbers use em on me, but not a skill I have developed.

Shave my wrist from time to time after sharpening a blade as a check. That's as close as I have gotten.

It's not bad at all, assuming you are reasonably coordinated and have steady hands. The trick is to take your time. Straight razor shaving is not something you rush through.

Your face will need to get used to it though. I'm not sure if it was my technique, or my preparation, or even my honing process, but I think it took me a month or so until I could comfortably shave myself. The first few times the razor pulled and it was uncomfortable enough for me to get teary eyed. I'm glad I stuck with it though, now I don't shave any other way if I can help it.

utahjeepr
02-28-22, 17:36
Thanks.

My face and head are a road map of scars as it is. I think I'll pass, but thanks for the info.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-28-22, 19:03
The reason why blade companies are all woke is their target audience, young teenage men. Older guys just keep buying whatever they have used- and most likely their wife buys. The young guys are the only ones making decisions about what to buy. The young are influenced by sustainability, DIE, and social justice.

That is why razor companies are ‘woke’.

czgunner
02-28-22, 19:04
The reason why blade companies are all woke is their target audience, young teenage men. Older guys just keep buying whatever they have used- and most likely their wife buys. The young guys are the only ones making decisions about what to buy. The young are influenced by sustainability, DIE, and social justice.

That is why razor companies are ‘woke’.I get it, and I'm not going to give them my money.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-28-22, 19:15
I get it, and I'm not going to give them my money.

With COVID, I went from shaving 20 times a month to 5. I had a Harry’s (Or one of those) subscriptions and still a bunch of one left to use.

iflyskyhigh
02-28-22, 20:23
Use an old school double blade safety razor and Classic wet shaving.

Blades are a penny’s and the razors are another fun thing to correct.

All the different soaps are fun to try. It’s another rabbit hole to go down.

One of my favorites razors

Merkur Mk34c Double Edge Razor with Heavy Duty Short Handle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002A8JO1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_M6TZ7M9JCK2P9RN3232E

Some of my favorite blades

Personna DE Double Edge Razor Blades, 100 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077LAJT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_BVZ0715YZ9BDTTFFVJK0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought several razors and different kinds of blades and soaps to try when I first started 7.5 years ago. Still haven’t bought anything since that initial investment.

Proraso is one of my favorite soap brands.

I shave my head and face with them.

jsbhike
02-28-22, 20:26

That is why razor companies are ‘woke’.

In some instances it just about has to be executives traveling in the same circles and wanting to appear cool to each other instead of any desire to be appealing to customers.

https://www.americasbestchew.com/

02-28-22, 20:56
Another option.

eightmillimeter
02-28-22, 21:31
I use a safety razor and blades made by Merkur out of Germany. Best shave I've ever had.

Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00374F5CY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_R8CCBWF7031580WZQ0NJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2nd. I use a short handle Merkur and Either Derby blades from Turkey or Wilkenson Sword blades from UK… perfect shave every time

czgunner
02-28-22, 21:42
Another option.Yeah, I just shave my neck and upper cheeks.

AKDoug
03-01-22, 00:14
Just curious what's offensive with Harry's? They support men's mental health non-profits of several types and give employees 5 days a year off to work with a non-profit of their choice. Seems pretty innocent to me.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-01-22, 09:14
Just curious what's offensive with Harry's? They support men's mental health non-profits of several types and give employees 5 days a year off to work with a non-profit of their choice. Seems pretty innocent to me.

Sorry, I used Dollar Shave Club. Not sure on Harry's. Gillette was the worst with their TV commercials.

It is interesting that the marketing has gone from "Use our stuff and you'll be cool/sexy/smart to if you don't use our stuff you're racist/sexist/evil."

utahjeepr
03-01-22, 09:50
Good thread OP.

Damn, wasn't even on my radar. Now I feel like I gotta up my hair scraping game.

Mebbie I'll try a double. Too much chicken for a straight.

usmcvet
03-01-22, 10:58

I did the same about five years ago. I got sick of what blades were costing me. Be careful I ended up with a freaking collection of old Gillette razors =) They're what I learned on in the '80's. I bought 100 Shark blades at amazon, $6.96 for 100 or $0.07 a blade! Just checked, bought them on 01-20-2019 and I still have about half of the package. I bought a few other brands too to try but like the Shark best. https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Double-Blades-Stainless-blades/dp/B004RWZ1RE

Do not use a safety razor like a Gillette multi blade disposable razor or you will cut yourself. You do not need to apply anywhere near the same amount of pressure with a safety razor. It gives a better shave, it's much cheaper and better for the environment too. Not as much stuff to buy and thrown away.

A simple YouTube search will bring up a ton of videos.

Proraso Shaving Soap in a bowl works well for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shaving-Soap-Refreshing-Toning/dp/B00837YY18/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2TNA2AG56JHQX&keywords=shave+soap&qid=1646154228&s=beauty&sprefix=shave+soap%2Cbeauty%2C195&sr=1-8

I ended up with a collection of brushes and soaps and bowls before I found what I liked. A good brush/soap is important in getting a good lather.

Gabriel556
03-01-22, 11:02
I would liken a straight to tinkering on a 1911 because you enjoy it. To me, they are a huge amount of work. Whereas most people can get by with a Glock (cartridge razor), a double is in between. It takes a little getting used to the technique, but it isn’t like having to hone and strip a straight, and it isn’t laying out $4-6 for a cartridge with 5+ blades with slimy goo strips on it. I actually get a better shave with less irritation with my old DE because I’m not dragging 3-5 blades across my skin 2 or 3 times, but I’m not going to do a full face shave in 30-60 seconds l have seen some do with a cart.

This is what I use. You can loosen the blade wings and adjust the blade angle with the numbered dial to change the shave as well.
https://gilletteadjustable.com/fatboy/

JulyAZ
03-01-22, 11:48
I’m about to be 31. I went to a straight razor in my teens, I haven’t bought “store” shaving supplies in over a decade. I don’t need too, I get a razor honed every few years but that’s about it.

Strops got replaced twice, shaving soap is great, but I like the art of shaving lathers.

It’s a process, but it’s well worth it.

If I’m in a hurry, I’ll use a Double Edge razor, it works just as well if not better than any 5 blade monstrosity you can buy at the store, and you can order 100 blades on Amazon for $15 that will last you for multiple years.

The shaving aisle at the stores is the biggest gotchu ever. I spend every 5 years on shaving what most dudes spend monthly, and I don’t have a beard. I shave weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alpha-17
03-01-22, 13:05

Curious about this as well. I switched to Harry's from Gilette because of their ridiculous leftist pandering. (the ridiculous price of razors made the decision easier) I'd hate to switch from Harry's because of the same, but am willing if they're as over the top as other brands.

czgunner
03-01-22, 13:57
A few here, you can find more if you search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CcZsm1R6z4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3quvjttKdc

SilverBullet432
03-02-22, 19:46
I had DSC, but lost interest way before they became “woke” switched to Harry’s and they’ve been great. I’m not sure where they stand politically, but honestly, these days I haven’t really cared. Life’s too short to stress about how your razor company feels about politics.

utahjeepr
03-02-22, 20:15
Do not use a safety razor like a Gillette multi blade disposable razor or you will cut yourself.

Oh boy. Now I'm worried. Let's just say some of us shave more than the face and leave it at that.

AKDoug
03-02-22, 20:31
I had DSC, but lost interest way before they became “woke” switched to Harry’s and they’ve been great. I’m not sure where they stand politically, but honestly, these days I haven’t really cared. Life’s too short to stress about how your razor company feels about politics.

This.. we're probably all typing on a computer made by a corporation that we don't agree with and probably funnels money to anti-gun causes.

SteyrAUG
03-02-22, 22:33
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Brand-MotionSphere-Lubrication-Cartridges/dp/B07CZCQ481/

Amazon is pretty woke.

That said, I think we're all pretty screwed. Trying to find a razor company that stands for freedom and equality is like trying to find an ice cream or tech company with traditional American values. Unless they have reason to do otherwise, like "some" firearm manufacturers, most companies are gonna jump on the "socially popular views" bandwagon and generally the best we can hope for is some of those we make purchases from will be politically neutral.

The problem is when communists portray themselves as civil rights activists when they are actually communists. I'd say neo nazis should take a page from their book and present themselves as free speech organizations, except I don't give a F about neo nazis and don't care to help advocate their cause. So because we are basically "freedom minded" people who aren't trying to force our views on everyone else, we are kind of screwed.

Not like we can shop at the Freedom store on Main Street anymore, it closed down 20 years ago and got taken over by Wal Mart. So Wal Mart or Amazon, pick your poison because you can't win.

ST911
03-03-22, 08:11

Amazon is pretty woke.

Oh I know, but it's a way to get the most possible performance and value with the least amount of money to the company. That Solimo kit is a good shave, can replace several of the Gillette 5-blade models, for less than $1.25 a cartridge.

SteyrAUG
03-03-22, 18:26
Oh I know, but it's a way to get the most possible performance and value with the least amount of money to the company. That Solimo kit is a good shave, can replace several of the Gillette 5-blade models, for less than $1.25 a cartridge.

No need to explain, I'm typing this from a chair I ordered from Amazon.