PDA

View Full Version : A2 grip screw in MIAD ok? yes? no?

Parabellum9x19mm
12-16-08, 21:57
cant find my MIAD screw (or instructions for that matter).

is using an A2 screw ok, or bad practice?

bkb0000
12-16-08, 22:04
if it screws it down tight, go for it

SingleStacker45
12-16-08, 22:06
yeah, I hate that flat blade screwdriver.

Mule

Parabellum9x19mm
12-16-08, 22:16
ok, thanks!!!

i know Tango Down says not to use the A2 screw, so i figured i'd make sure.

Saginaw79
12-16-08, 22:54
I used mine, no issues to date and that was several years and several K of ammo ago!

Dave L.
12-17-08, 01:45
I would just put some blue loc-tite on which ever screw you use. The MIAD grip screw comes with some on it IIRC, but I would add a little more.

rob_s
12-17-08, 04:51
IIRC the MIAD grip screw that comes with it is shorter than the standard screw, is it not?

I've always used the one that comes with it since I just assume it's shorter for a reason. I guess if the A2 doesn't poke through or start to bottom out it would be fine. Thankfully the MIAD comes with the slotted head instead of a God-awful allen-head.

bkb0000
12-17-08, 04:54
IIRC the MIAD grip screw that comes with it is shorter than the standard screw, is it not?

I've always used the one that comes with it since I just assume it's shorter for a reason. I guess if the A2 doesn't poke through or start to bottom out it would be fine. Thankfully the MIAD comes with the slotted head instead of a God-awful allen-head.

the allen would be a pain in the ass if you use the weak little hex key they send with it. i put a hex bit in an extention and zap the sucker in there with my screw gun- easier than a flathead.

sjc3081
12-17-08, 05:00
There is a reason Magpul says to use the screw they supply with the MIAD. I think they know best, so just listen.

bkb0000
12-17-08, 05:03
There is a reason Magpul says to use the screw they supply with the MIAD. I think they know best, so just listen.

you obviously don't build things for a living

rob_s
12-17-08, 05:54
the allen would be a pain in the ass if you use the weak little hex key they send with it. i put a hex bit in an extention and zap the sucker in there with my screw gun- easier than a flathead.

I like the flathead because I always have one around, or can improvise one. I hate having to drag out the allen-head keys or other methods. I'm less concerned with what I do on the bench at more concerned with what I do on the range or elsewhere.

Palmguy
12-17-08, 06:28
you obviously don't build things for a living

ROFL

I've got the allen head screw in mine...couldn't find my magnetic flat head and didn't feel like dicking around with it anymore. No issues.

Robb Jensen
12-17-08, 06:37
ROFL

I've got the allen head screw in mine...couldn't find my magnetic flat head and didn't feel like dicking around with it anymore. No issues.

I prefer allen head screws too as it's easier to control and get it started in the lower. Instead of having to manipulate the lower for 5min chasing the screw around with a screwdriver. With an allen head wrench I can put the screw the wrench and slide it right into the hole in the grip and start in the lower in about 1/8 the time. I've used the allen head stock A2 screw too but just shortened it a bit and cleaned up the threads and used the A2 washer.

rob_s
12-17-08, 07:10
I guess I just get lucky. Drop the screw in, flip the tip with the screwdriver, and it lines right up.

Littlelebowski
12-17-08, 07:23

Yeah, that's it. The MIAD could break or fall off unexpectedly. This is high technology here folks.

markm
12-17-08, 07:27
I'll take the extra 15 seconds that it takes to get the flat head started for the benefit of a more common tool.

bkb0000
12-17-08, 07:37
I guess I just get lucky. Drop the screw in, flip the tip with the screwdriver, and it lines right up.

i've even just stuck the screw on the blade of the screwdriver and eyeballed it right into the hole.

of course, there IS an easier way to do it... just drop the screw into the grip, shake it a couple times till it drops home, slip the grip on the receiver with the screw in place... tighten halfway, push the detent spring over to it's hole and finish tightening...

violin!

Littlelebowski
12-17-08, 07:41
Fiddle!

OneKYards
12-23-08, 12:07
I angled the grip so the screw would slide towards the hole and helped it along with the flathead. Goes in a hell of a lot quicker than shaking the lower around. I would use the MagPul flathead screw with the grip and start the turn to the left, then right for cross-thread prevention.

Bought my FDE MIAD from www.HarrisTacticalOnline.com - Waiting on my Blk grip from them as MagPul is backordered on everything popular

Razorhunter
12-24-08, 20:52
I prefer allen head screws too as it's easier to control and get it started in the lower. Instead of having to manipulate the lower for 5min chasing the screw around with a screwdriver. With an allen head wrench I can put the screw the wrench and slide it right into the hole in the grip and start in the lower in about 1/8 the time. I've used the allen head stock A2 screw too but just shortened it a bit and cleaned up the threads and used the A2 washer.

Absolutely dead on. Anyone in the machine shop world, working with fasteners daily, will go with the allen head, or even a TORX head, as the assembly is just much easier, and the allen/torx head stays on the end of the driver, unlike the sorry flat head fasteners. My personal favorite would be a nice WIHA BALL END hexdriver. Buy a whole set, and you'll be glad you did. You'll find uses for them forever down the road.
I swear whomever the idiot was that designed the slotted head fastener deserves to be flogged about 20 times minimum. Flat/slotted head fasteners totally suck, especially when you go down to smaller sizes.

SingleStacker45
12-24-08, 21:00
Absolutely dead on. Anyone in the machine shop world, working with fasteners daily, will go with the allen head, or even a TORX head, as the assembly is just much easier, and the allen/torx head stays on the end of the driver, unlike the sorry flat head fasteners. My personal favorite would be a nice WIHA BALL END hexdriver. Buy a whole set, and you'll be glad you did. You'll find uses for them forever down the road.
I swear whomever the idiot was that designed the slotted head fastener deserves to be flogged about 20 times minimum. Flat/slotted head fasteners totally suck, especially when you go down to smaller sizes.

+1 the only thing that concerns me is that the head is a bit smaller on a mil spec than the magpul screw. I wonder if we could get a magpul guy to comment. I was thinking of adding a washer to increase the surface contact on the grip.

Mule

Kchen986
12-25-08, 17:59
The hex screw works better in my receiver, more positive lock and all that. However, the reason the designers used a flat head is to provide more storage space in the MIAD. I cannot fit a spare AR bolt in to my MIAD with the hex screw, but can do so w/ the flat head.

Either way, the screw that comes w/ the MIAD is already coated with loctite, so there should be no loosening problems.

rob_s
12-25-08, 22:11
Anyone in the machine shop world, working with fasteners daily, will go with the allen head, or even a TORX head, as the assembly is just much easier, and the allen/torx head stays on the end of the driver, unlike the sorry flat head fasteners.

Operative word being "shop".

Bushmaster-M4A3
12-25-08, 23:03
Other than the slot head with one being slot and other being hex, is there anything else different with MIAD grip screw vs. A2 screw?

sjc3081
12-26-08, 06:36
Other than the slot head with one being slot and other being hex, is there anything else different with MIAD grip screw vs. A2 screw?
Now I get it. Both my Colts had slotted screws and both my MIADs had slotted screws, but the MIAD screws were shorter.