PDA

View Full Version : Buffers / Gas Systems - match them up?

Mo_Zam_Beek
12-17-08, 00:32
I have a box of old parts and I am going to throw together a lower that will mainly be used with a .22 upper. It will have an A2 buttstock. I also keep a spare 16" carbine gas system upper for this as a loaner.

Am I correct that I want to use a carbine buffer in the A2 instead of the rifle buffer in order to run best with the carbine (5.56) upper? (I think it'll run fine either way with the .22 upper).

Thank you for the assistance

woofe
12-17-08, 17:29
I have a box of old parts and I am going to throw together a lower that will mainly be used with a .22 upper. It will have an A2 buttstock. I also keep a spare 16" carbine gas system upper for this as a loaner.

Am I correct that I want to use a carbine buffer in the A2 instead of the rifle buffer in order to run best with the carbine (5.56) upper? (I think it'll run fine either way with the .22 upper).

Thank you for the assistance

The A2 Buttstock uses a longer receiver extension than the carbine. Attempted used of the carbine buffer will allow excessive travel and the bolt carrier will bash the he!! out of the back of the lower.

Use the A2 buffer and spring only for this configuration. It will work fine with your carbine upper.

22LR uppers/conversions that I am familiar with don't even require the buffer assy. to be present.

woofe

Bimmer
12-18-08, 17:39
22LR uppers/conversions that I am familiar with don't even require the buffer assy. to be present.

+1 If you're only going to shoot .22lr, then you don't need a buffer or spring (or even a stock) at all.