PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Finish & Improve This PSA Rifle Kit?

Red*Lion
03-07-22, 14:12
If you paid an even $620 for it and has $380 to finish and improve it. Lets say that you have to keep the barrel (FN), upper receiver and lower reiver. What would you do? Items you buy and change/or add. Also things that you would do to improve that would be free and only a cost of your time.
I am curious what others would do. Yes I know that PSA products are not popular with some members here.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-chf-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

Inkslinger
03-07-22, 14:28
A complete new LPK and a Black River Tactical gas tube.

Dutch110
03-07-22, 15:00
I would add an MI drop in quad rail. A new stock and grip. Winter trigger guard and a decent trigger. I am assuming we aren't including optics in the equation? Also, I would buy a set of Sprinco extractor springs, OCKS carrier key screws and a new carrier key. I am pretty sure I could could do this with some creative shopping for $380.

Red*Lion
03-07-22, 15:14
I am assuming we aren't including optics in the equation? I left that to posters to determine. It would need at least a rear iron sight, such as a magpul mbus or something.

Brasilnuts
03-07-22, 15:29
LPK, BCG, and a Sig Romeo optic.

Dutch110
03-07-22, 15:31
I left that to posters to determine. It would need at least a rear iron sight, such as a magpul mbus or something.

Then my list changes. I would do a quality LPK (SOLGW blaster kits can be had minus FCU for like 40 bucks.) The triggers in those PSA LPKs are beyond horrible so I would at least spend another fifty on an upgraded milspec. Magpul grip and stock can be done for 60. So we are at 150. I would still do the sprinco extractor springs, OCKS and new carrier key. Thats 30 bucks total. So now at 180. I would put a Magpul drop in handguard on it. I think they are like another 50 bucks so now we are at 230. 30 bucks on a MBUS rear and the best red dot I could find on sale for 120. Vortex or Sig or a PA. Then I would completely disassemble and put it back together using proper lubrication, torque specs and assembly methods.

HKGuns
03-07-22, 16:01
I wouldn’t buy that kit even if I was given the $600 to buy it.

I’d spend that $600 and more on the quality components I trust.

If I couldn’t afford more, I’d buy $600 worth of quality components and save for the rest and buy them on sale.

Bret
03-07-22, 16:04
I really like theoretical exercises, but I can't figure out a way to make this work that even remotely comes close to making sense. So, I'd buy this factory built Windham rifle which is better in every respect save for the barrel. Plus, I'd be buying from a company that stands behind its products as opposed to one that doesn't.
https://familyfirearms.com/product/windham-weaponry-src-223-rem5.56-nato-16-301-black-hard-coat-anodized-6-position-stock

That would leave me with over $200 after shipping and transfer. I'd spend $50 on backup sights which would leave about $150 for ammo or whatever.

Hammer_Man
03-07-22, 16:27
I’d grab an Aimpoint PRO, and run that thing til it broke. Then I’d replace parts as they wear out.

Pikey
03-07-22, 17:30
Really the same as anything else, a spare lpc and bcg. Probably a Midwest two piece rail. Just shoot the hell out of it and see what happens.

JediGuy
03-07-22, 18:09
If you paid an even $620 for it and has $380 to finish and improve it. Lets say that you have to keep the barrel (FN), upper receiver and lower reiver. What would you do? Items you buy and change/or add. Also things that you would do to improve that would be free and only a cost of your time.
I am curious what others would do. Yes I know that PSA products are not popular with some members here.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-chf-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

This is not a complete scenario. What is the purpose of the weapon?

Evil Black Rifle
03-07-22, 18:17
As asked already, what is the purpose of the weapon?

I have that upper, it is accurate enough and reliable. I would spend the extra dollars on ammo, and shoot it lots and lots.

Red*Lion
03-07-22, 19:27
How about the purpose is a defensive carbine. I kind of thought that most folks would go that route given the configuration that the kits starts with and the budget.

pag23
03-07-22, 19:46
BCM LPK, or other quality parts and springs, magpul rear sight... Better buffer and spring... I would least upgrade the bolt

I agree with either MI drop in rail or a BCM polymer one....

DG23
03-07-22, 20:54
If you paid an even $620 for it and has $380 to finish and improve it.

You got an even $1000.00 to spend and are seriously considering that from PSA?

With that sort of money you could buy a complete rifle from a much more reputable company and have something that will better hold its value over time. (if not increase in value)

Those parts from PSA (assembled by you) are going to be worth less (if for some reason you must sell at a later date) the minute after you buy them.

titsonritz
03-07-22, 21:00
$380 is a lot of lipstick for that pig. I'm thinking the same thing as the guy above. ^^^

ubet
03-07-22, 21:02
I wouldn’t buy that kit even if I was given the $600 to buy it.

I’d spend that $600 and more on the quality components I trust.

If I couldn’t afford more, I’d buy $600 worth of quality components and save for the rest and buy them on sale.

^^^^^ this ^^^^ STOP BUYING JUNK!!! Psa is junk. Go get a 6920 for around 250-300 more, you’ll have a quality weapon, that you can rely on.

Your theoretical is going to put you close to $1000 anyways, just go get the colt. Youll be miles ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 Inf
03-07-22, 21:39
Range Rifle/Loaner

1) LaRue MBT2 $100.00
2) B5 Type 23 Grip $19.00
3) Rogers Super Stock $29.00 (use a knife and sand paper to remove top loop) (CBC Industries)
4) Extractor Spring Upgrade $5.00
5) CMMG Oops Kit (pins and springs) $15.00
6) Ambi Safety $15.00 (Joe Bob's)
7) SIG Ambi Mag Release $25.00
8) Sig Romeo MSR Red Dot Sight $90.00

Should be $300.00 and should work just fine.

MegademiC
03-07-22, 21:54
I'd buy a similar rifle from BCM for the same price.

Assuming you have the stuff already - buy a brand name bolt as a backup, and shoot it. If you find something is wrong, that will eat your "enhancement money".
Maybe your rifle will work well and you wont have to drop $ into it.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

turnburglar
03-08-22, 01:25
Hilarious to read all the dog sh*t answers.

You guys post as poorly as you think PSA builds.

This exact build kit was my first AR back in 2013 and too date it probably has 10k rounds on it.

The gas port is fine. Bet you anything it measures .076.

The LPK has also been fine over the last 10K rounds so I wouldn't both tossing it.

How you build the gun out with the remaining money kinda depends on you. I would do these following "upgrades" on any rifle or build kit:

- Spring co 5 coil or colt Gold extractor spring with insert
- H2 buffer with colt buffer spring or spring co white spring
- pmag

This is about $40 in parts that combined with good ammo has yielded a fantastically reliable AR.

Next after these reliability enhancements I'd look for a good trigger. Larue MBT or a schmid are $70 - $90.

After a good trigger I'd look at rails. Expo arms Combat rail 15" = $119 Gas block $17 Gas Tube $9

This leaves you at $106. I'd say spend it on a muzzle device or furniture.

If you do all of the above you will have an ultra reliable AR that will eat piles of 556. Dont listen to all the haters they are just mad they over paid for their AR's that are 99% the same as this one.

GHMann
03-08-22, 04:14
A few inexpensive things that may add up to 300 hundred dollars or so.

Install a PSA EPT trigger and JP Enterprises enhanced reliability trigger/hammer springs
Replace the hand grip with Magpul MOE k1+
Install an enhanced bolt release lever
Install an H2 buffer
Add a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot
Extended charging handle, probably BCM
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul M-Lok forearm grip
Magpul MBUS Gen II rear sight

Btw, you'll need another 60 bucks or so for a PSA lower receiver, since the kit doesn't come with one.

I think you'd come out ahead buying this complete PSA rifle and just adding a Romeo 5.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-rifle-w-mbus-sight-set.html

If you want to stay with a kit, this one is a couple hundred less and comes with the enhanced trigger group and MBUS sights. Just add JP Enterprise enhanced reliability springs: https://palmettostatearmory.com/16-mid-5-56-nato-1-7-nit-13-5-mlok-moe-ept-rk-w-mbus-ss.html

Bullz
03-08-22, 06:36
If you have 1k to put towards a gun, buy something that will hold it's value. ARs are a dime a dozen these days and off brands won't be worth the parts once you plunk down your cash.

That said, I have one of these kits I bought many years ago for about $450. With the lower receiver and rear iron, about $550 all in. It has thousands of rounds through it... mostly steel case ammo... as it's one of my loaner guns. I wouldn't hesitate to deploy it in a "serious" situation.

If you buy it, run it before you buy extras. Nothing has failed on mine and the mil spec trigger feels the same as anything else I have - it's S stamped. Everything is properly staked, too.

But I strongly feel that it's too close in price to some basic teir 1 rifles. At $650 and up, I feel you should hold out for a rifle with a better reputation, even though they may perform identically.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-08-22, 08:06
1k would buy pay for class registration from Modern Samurai and a box of 1k rounds of 9mm. That would benefit you much more than a POS PSA, despite what the very angry turnburglar would have you believe.

m4luvr
03-08-22, 10:03
by turdburglars logic i guess harborfreight tools are just as good as snapon, proto, or even craftsman tools

Dutch110
03-08-22, 11:59
Why did I know this was going to turn into a shit show, lol. Reading comprehension is beyond some of you. OP isn't saying that is what he plans on doing. He is posing a theoretical question. IE can you make that kit serviceable with $380. Of course for 1k there are better options. Of course for you Colt leg humpers you could spend $400 more and buy a Colt. Who cares? That wasn't the question. Would I spend a grand on a tarted up PSA? Nope. But it's an interesting thought exercise. The rest of you AR Karens need to settle down FFS.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-08-22, 13:14
I don't throw good money after bad so I'd skip the PoSA and buy something better.

Bullz
03-08-22, 14:48
Why did I know this was going to turn into a shit show, lol. Reading comprehension is beyond some of you. OP isn't saying that is what he plans on doing. He is posing a theoretical question. IE can you make that kit serviceable with $380. Of course for 1k there are better options. Of course for you Colt leg humpers you could spend $400 more and buy a Colt. Who cares? That wasn't the question. Would I spend a grand on a tarted up PSA? Nope. But it's an interesting thought exercise. The rest of you AR Karens need to settle down FFS.

I think most of the replies answer the question. The general consensus here is "Why on earth would you start with that kit if you're thinking about spending upto $1k."

The thing is probably serviceable the way it is. You still need another $100 or so for a lower and rear sight... or skip the rear sight and just do a Romeo 5 or something to keep it cheap... creeping into the $750 range before any changes and you've got a gun that will be like pulling teeth to get warranty or service if something isn't right. Perhaps the remainder of the funds go towards accessories, and whatever else. I don't know...

What I do know is that with a $1k budget you can either buy a basic "tier 1" gun or build an excellent rifle from scratch using select components from the get go. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to start with this kit if someone intends to swap out a bunch of parts. I feel like this is a "buy it for what it is and hope for the best" kind of situation.

But maybe you're right... maybe I'm missing the point. That's just how I'm seeing it.

Dutch110
03-08-22, 15:07
I think most of the replies answer the question. The general consensus here is "Why on earth would you start with that kit if you're thinking about spending upto $1k."

The thing is probably serviceable the way it is. You still need another $100 or so for a lower and rear sight... or skip the rear sight and just do a Romeo 5 or something to keep it cheap... creeping into the $750 range before any changes and you've got a gun that will be like pulling teeth to get warranty or service if something isn't right. Perhaps the remainder of the funds go towards accessories, and whatever else. I don't know...

What I do know is that with a $1k budget you can either buy a basic "tier 1" gun or build an excellent rifle from scratch using select components from the get go. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to start with this kit if someone intends to swap out a bunch of parts. I feel like this is a "buy it for what it is and hope for the best" kind of situation.

But maybe you're right... maybe I'm missing the point. That's just how I'm seeing it.

I was more speaking to the "PSA is junk, you're stupid, buy brand x" crowd. I don't disagree with any of your points. If I had a $1k budget I could build a much better rifle than what you could do with the same budget and a PSA kit. And maybe that should be the next post? Build (not buy) an AR with a budget of $1k. And then ask people to list their parts.

Bullz
03-08-22, 15:31
I was more speaking to the "PSA is junk, you're stupid, buy brand x" crowd. I don't disagree with any of your points. If I had a $1k budget I could build a much better rifle than what you could do with the same budget and a PSA kit. And maybe that should be the next post? Build (not buy) an AR with a budget of $1k. And then ask people to list their parts.

That would be a really cool thread. "2022 - State your purpose and itemize your build with a $1k budget."

Dutch110
03-08-22, 15:36
I am writing it up as we speak lol.

Red*Lion
03-08-22, 18:18
Thanks for the replies. It was just meant to be a thought exercise as someone noted. Start out with a specific build kit that some really like, some think is ok and some do not like at all and improve it with a $380 budget. Only meant to be entertaining.
By the way, I do have a PSA carbine upper that this kit comes with. Added a Premium PSA DCI BCG, BCM charging handle. Magpul MBUS, and inexpensive Vortex Red Dot and a Edgar Sherman Designs sling. Not my go to carbine, but has been uber reliable to about 2,500 rounds, no stoppages and has shot moa with some ammo. Around 2moa with M193. I would not be afraid to use it for self defense.

Thanks again.

ChattanoogaPhil
03-08-22, 18:25
Wife has a $1k PSA.

PSA blem lower $139 delivered
PSA stainless pencil mid-length upper 13in keymod $219 delivered
PSA NIB BCG $89

Trijicon RMR 01 with riser $261 delivered
LaRue MBT $107 delivered
Lantac brake $99 delivered

For $1,000 the wife has a light weight relatively low-recoil flat-shooting (Lantac) rifle with a no-fiddle optic and decent trigger for recreational use that has functioned flawlessly through 4 cases of M193. Wife is happy. No regrets.

Inkslinger
03-08-22, 18:30
Thanks for the replies. It was just meant to be a thought exercise as someone noted. Start out with a specific build kit that some really like, some think is ok and some do not like at all and improve it with a $380 budget. Only meant to be entertaining.
By the way, I do have a PSA carbine upper that this kit comes with. Added a Premium PSA DCI BCG, BCM charging handle. Magpul MBUS, and inexpensive Vortex Red Dot and a Edgar Sherman Designs sling. Not my go to carbine, but has been uber reliable to about 2,500 rounds, no stoppages and has shot moa with some ammo. Around 2moa with M193. I would not be afraid to use it for self defense.

Thanks again.

Add one of these so it’s properly gassed.

http://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-Preset-CAR-14-16-p156680084

And be happy your PSA buffer didn’t look like this after 20 rounds.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220309/1a4381fe032495382b993dce24796ed0.jpg

Evil Black Rifle
03-08-22, 18:43
Most of the replies here are people who are going out of their way to talk shit about PSA. PSA meets the needs of lots of people, and should there be a problem with their products, all I ever see in reply to that from PSA is, "Ship it to us and we will fix it". I do agree that if your Job Description includes carry and deploy a rifle, a person might want a higher tier rifle.

If somebody wants all that shiny bling stuff on their rifle, go right ahead, but it makes no sense to buy a kit or a complete rifle only to replace everything with tacticool parts.

I have that upper and probably a mid-grade PSA BCG on a Bushmaster lower with a GI spec LPK. It shoots great, and nothing has gone FUBAR. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to gunsmith an AR, so I stone and polish the trigger, and shoot the crap out it. I have spare lower parts kits, spare BCG ( some that even have C engraved on them ), and a toolbox full of AR tools to fix, improve, or build from the ground up.

So far all I have had to do is clean it.

titsonritz
03-08-22, 18:44
1k would buy pay for class registration from Modern Samurai and a box of 1k rounds of 9mm. That would benefit you much more than a POS PSA, despite what the very angry turnburglar would have you believe.

If you can find a class that isn't booked, which is easier said than done. Been trying to get him out to our AO but he has been slammed and the schedule is pretty full for the year.

scooter22
03-08-22, 18:57
by turdburglars logic i guess harborfreight tools are just as good as snapon, proto, or even craftsman tools

ACKCHEWALLYYYYYYYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck_O5U1Tyz8&t=48s

Bullz
03-08-22, 22:14
Oh my goodness... I have had SOOOOOOO many Harbor Freight tools break on me. It's funny, because I've learned through experience which tools need to be "no compromise" top quality and which ones I can get by with on the cheap. I suppose that's kind of the overarching lesson here that everyone needs to establish for themselves.

Jermedic
03-08-22, 22:58
I bought a very similar kit about 6 years ago on a Black Friday sale just for the hell of it. I had a few factory Colt and BCM rifles at the time, but wanted to try my hand at "building" a lower. I figured for $500 even if it didn't work worth a darn or I screwed up the lower I wasn't out very much. Added a spare colt trigger and a Vortex strike eagle I got on a trade to it went about shooting trying to break it. It holds about 2.5 MOA and has not had a malfunction to date (3k rounds or so). It is a fun beater/range/loaner gun, but not one of my "go to" rifles. These days I would spend the extra money on ammo, but it was a fun/cheap exercise at the time.

CatBacker88
03-09-22, 08:15

Nothing on the site is more predictable than all the modern day master gunfighters co-opting a simple question. Evidently Harbor Freight analogies are too cathartic to resist. I do like the "AR Karen" label though. I propose "kARens" for this stereotype.

pinzgauer
03-09-22, 09:06
Of course for you Colt leg humpers you could spend $400 more and buy a Colt.

Nonsense. Just a week or so ago Colt OEM2s were posted as available from a site for $700 or so. Put on a cheap rail, a Magpul stock, and sights of your choice, you are done.

Bret
03-09-22, 09:28
Most of the replies here are people who are going out of their way to talk shit about PSA. PSA meets the needs of lots of people, and should there be a problem with their products, all I ever see in reply to that from PSA is, "Ship it to us and we will fix it". I do agree that if your Job Description includes carry and deploy a rifle, a person might want a higher tier rifle.
I bought a complete PA10 upper half from them and a complete PA10 lower half from them. The order for the upper half was shipped directly to my house. The order for the lower half was sent to my dealer. I picked up the lower half at my dealer, brought it home and after a good deal of resistance got the two halves to go together. Unfortunately, at the rear of the upper receiver there was a gap between the upper and lower receiver that was so big you could fit a dime between the two. I called PSA and they said to send it in, so I did along with a letter explaining that such a gap was not acceptable. A couple of weeks later I received the rifle back just as I sent it with literally no explanation. I called and was told that they fired it and it functioned. I explained that I didn't send it in for it's inability to fire, but rather for having such a wide gap between the receivers. The reply was that it meets the specifications. My reply was of course to ask what specification allowed for such a gap, but they couldn't answer the question. They did eventually take back the upper half, but refused to take back the lower half because it had been transferred to me. I still have the useless POS if anyone wants to buy it. So no, they didn't fix it. They did lose a customer who had purchased a lot of stuff from them over the years. Life's too short to deal with people who don't back up the products they sell.

03-09-22, 09:53
Nonsense. Just a week or so ago Colt OEM2s were posted as available from a site for $700 or so. Put on a cheap rail, a Magpul stock, and sights of your choice, you are done.

My thoughts exactly. No idea why people keep thinking basic Colts are $1150. And no, I’m not a fanboy. I believe they meet the minimum standard for a minimum price, and most of my rifles/uppers are not Colts, though I’d be just as happy with more of them and less of my home-rolled ones.

As to the OP question, you’re at $750 ($150 less than a Colt, not $400 less) after you grab a lower. That leaves $250 remaining for upgrades.

I’d grab a DD fixed rear sight (~$100)
and a tungsten buffer weight. That puts you ~$130 under budget in case something pops up. Or to go toward a more preferred handguard or light mount or optic. And then just shoot it and see how things go. Many of them work fine, although some do not. Seems rather hit or miss. But at least by doing as little as possible before just shooting it, it can stay in keeping with a budget blaster theme.

Dutch110
03-09-22, 12:59

That's a great price. I may have picked one up at that price to play around with.

graffex
03-16-22, 19:13
Sell it and put the money towards something that’s not a pile of crap.