PDA

View Full Version : Foregrip/fingerstop gas block in the way, M-Lok

Backfire
03-08-22, 09:45
Finishing up my first SBR. 11.5 BCM upper M-Lok. The gas block is right at the spot where I want to mount my fingerstop/foregrip. Foward or behind and feels odd. Is there a offset type of grip? Is this the 11.5" hazards or drawback of M-Lok and I should of went QRF? Lol..

03-08-22, 10:02
Finishing up my first SBR. 11.5 BCM upper M-Lok. The gas block is right at the spot where I want to mount my fingerstop/foregrip. Foward or behind and feels odd. Is there a offset type of grip? Is this the 11.5" hazards or drawback of M-Lok and I should of went QRF? Lol..

Its a common drawback of many MLOK rails trying to be as skinny as possible, and ending with an ID similar to the OD of non-indexing barrel nuts that have to fit under a gas tube. Would it fit if you trimmed the screws that go through the T-Nut?

opngrnd
03-08-22, 10:03

It's definitely a drawback to M-LOK, I'd consider looking into QRF.

BobinNC
03-08-22, 11:27
I had the same problem with a M-Lok handguard and a mid length gas block. My Magpul AFG screws would hit the gas block in my desired position. I solved it by going to Centurion Arms M-Lok rail covers. They're long enough to span the distance fore and aft of the gas block, and grippy enough that I now don't need a foregrip/handstop. I used two 3 packs of the rail covers. 2 per side and 2 on the bottom. YMMV

https://centurionarms.com/mlok-handguard-rail-cover-3-pack/

markm
03-08-22, 11:53
Is this the 11.5" hazards or drawback of M-Lok and I should of went QRF? Lol..

I freakin HATE M-lok. It's like the South Park of mounting systems... a parody of gun industry stupidity that never quits. I love my QRF rail.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-08-22, 13:16
This doesn't happen with 1913 rails.

Backfire
03-08-22, 13:49
I had the same problem with a M-Lok handguard and a mid length gas block. My Magpul AFG screws would hit the gas block in my desired position. I solved it by going to Centurion Arms M-Lok rail covers. They're long enough to span the distance fore and aft of the gas block, and grippy enough that I now don't need a foregrip/handstop. I used two 3 packs of the rail covers. 2 per side and 2 on the bottom. YMMV

https://centurionarms.com/mlok-handguard-rail-cover-3-pack/

Thanks for the link, may give that a try. I like the looks as well

B Cart
03-08-22, 15:08

I had the same issue on one of mine, and i was able to dremmel down the bolt so it fit under the gas block. Not sure how much room you have under there, but if it's just that the screws are too long, you may give that a try.

titsonritz
03-08-22, 15:30
I had the same issue on my 16" mid-length with a 15" Centurion MLok and a Arisaka finger stop, I ended switching to a KAG and putting it behind the gas block.

titsonritz
03-08-22, 15:32
I had the same issue on one of mine, and i was able to dremmel down the bolt so it fit under the gas block. Not sure how much room you have under there, but if it's just that the screws are too long, you may give that a try.

The problem there is it can be very close and impact upon firing due to barrel whip.

Dutch110
03-08-22, 15:35
The only one of mine where it isn't an issue is on my x39 build, which is a carbine gas system. The block is far enough back on that one that it doesn't interfere with anything I have or want to mount on it. On my other three mid length rifles it's right on top. And that is with three different rails. I could never find an MLOK rail that was beefy enough to provide clearance (like others have stated.) One of the reasons I am starting to migrate back towards quads.

titsonritz
03-08-22, 15:35
It's definitely a drawback to M-LOK, I'd consider looking into QRF.

I have a 13" BCM MCMR on a 14.5" mid-length that I'm thinking of switching over a to a 12" QRF.

03-08-22, 15:41
The only one of mine where it isn't an issue is on my x39 build, which is a carbine gas system. The block is far enough back on that one that it doesn't interfere with anything I have or want to mount on it. On my other three mid length rifles it's right on top. And that is with three different rails. I could never find an MLOK rail that was beefy enough to provide clearance (like others have stated.) One of the reasons I am starting to migrate back towards quads.

KAC URX4, DD MFR XL, and Larue LAT are among the few that aren’t as thin as a Hodge Wedge-Lok.

Dutch110
03-08-22, 15:50
KAC URX4, DD MFR XL, and Larue LAT are among the few that aren’t as thin as a Hodge Wedge-Lok.

That's good to know. Thanks.

B Cart
03-08-22, 16:24
The problem there is it can be very close and impact upon firing due to barrel whip.

Definitely, just depends how much space is available. I agree that you don't want them too close, and depending on the rail, there may be cases where there isn't enough room, even when filing down the screws

BobinNC
03-08-22, 19:36

Dutch,

Aero's Enhanced M-Lok Rails have an inside diameter of 1.72". Which is huge compared to Aero's Atlas R-One, which I have, that's only 1.30" inside diameter.

Backfire
03-09-22, 11:03
It's really the diameter for me, it's seems to be comfortable for me. I really don't like the m-lok attaching design. I have never had an issue but I'm not breaking down doors either. Much more of a rail fan, I have confidence that stuff ain't gonna move.

03-09-22, 11:12
It's really the diameter for me, it's seems to be comfortable for me. I really don't like the m-lok attaching design. I have never had an issue but I'm not breaking down doors either. Much more of a rail fan, I have confidence that stuff ain't gonna move.
If you’re considering going back to pic rail, this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?229872-Cheese-Graters-2021 might be relevant to you. There’s some dimensions and weights posted. Or just get a QRF. Nobody seems to have any complaints.

Defaultmp3
03-09-22, 11:25
It's really the diameter for me, it's seems to be comfortable for me. I really don't like the m-lok attaching design. I have never had an issue but I'm not breaking down doors either. Much more of a rail fan, I have confidence that stuff ain't gonna move.In Crane's comparison test between KeyMod and M-LOK, the mode of failure for the KeyMod light mounts was that the rail sections ripping out of the KeyMod slots. For the M-LOK, it was the 1913 flashlight mount ripping off of the rail, while the M-LOK rail section itself stood strong.

Thus, one could possibly argue that M-LOK is stronger than 1913.

grizzman
03-09-22, 12:36
In Crane's comparison test between KeyMod and M-LOK, the mode of failure for the KeyMod light mounts was that the rail sections ripping out of the KeyMod slots. For the M-LOK, it was the 1913 flashlight mount ripping off of the rail, while the M-LOK rail section itself stood strong.

Thus, one could possibly argue that M-LOK is stronger than 1913.

…..or more appropriately that a shitty M-LOK to Picatinny accessory was tested. I don’t recall seeing the manufacturer or model for this component listed.

Defaultmp3
03-09-22, 13:15
…..or more appropriately that a shitty M-LOK to Picatinny accessory was tested. I don’t recall seeing the manufacturer or model for this component listed. They were using Vltor 1913 WML mounts. Looked like this model in the pictures: https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/mounts/sm-ei-scout-mount/

From slide 41 of the report:
https://i.imgur.com/dD0Nk6V.png

Based off those pictures, seemed like the WML mount would be the primary issue, while the rail section's deformation likely played a much smaller role. Note that Crane specifically said the failure happened at the mount, and not the rail section.

Stickman
03-14-22, 09:49
I freakin HATE M-lok. It's like the South Park of mounting systems... a parody of gun industry stupidity that never quits. I love my QRF rail.

I never would have thought of listing it as the South Park of mounting systems.

Over the years rails have gone from wide to narrow, which of course makes impact on shooters who desire custom placement. Earlier in the lifespan of this weapon system, people wouldn’t have even considered that a minor movement “needed” to be done to slap a piece onto their handguard. The piece would have been simply drilled and mounted onto the plastic handguards. Now people are bothered they can’t get exactly what they want.

I would change the question around and ask why the OP is unable to use shorter MLOK screws, or why they can’t alter their grip and put the handstop in between their fingers.

Backfire
03-14-22, 13:05
Well, it's not the screws, it's the T nuts. There is not enough room between the rail and block for them to pivot and tighten.
Secondly I should NOT have to alter my style, there is a slot there so BCM should allow enough space. This is a prime time for performance improvement that BCM should embrace in order to make their products better. Easier for me to buy a "better" more thoroughly researched rail that works as intended, then something that remains unchanged and mediocre...

Defaultmp3
03-14-22, 13:28
I'm not sure I see the problem. Why not just add a rail section and then whatever control device you want? You're still having a similar height as a normal quad rail right there, but get to reap the benefits of it being slick most everywhere else still. I would be surprised if a 5 slot rail wouldn't clear the gas block, but if it doesn't, there is always the 7 slot.

The slot there still has its uses even if you can't put a T nut in there, as one can still fit recoil lugs there. BCM simply put out a slim handguard, I'm certain they were aware of the gas block interference issue when it came to certain accessories, it's just not a super prevalent problem, and can easily be gotten around with the use of a 10 USD rail section.

DaBigBR
03-14-22, 20:05
Well, it's not the screws, it's the T nuts. There is not enough room between the rail and block for them to pivot and tighten.
Secondly I should NOT have to alter my style, there is a slot there so BCM should allow enough space. This is a prime time for performance improvement that BCM should embrace in order to make their products better. Easier for me to buy a "better" more thoroughly researched rail that works as intended, then something that remains unchanged and mediocre...

And then we'll have a dozen threads complaining about how the rail could have been 1/8" thinner. Read Stick's post again.

bamashooter
03-15-22, 07:55
And then we'll have a dozen threads complaining about how the rail could have been 1/8" thinner. Read Stick's post again.

Just another sign of the times. We're all victims. "If your an idiot and insist on being so, Call 1-800-SHOO-TME":rolleyes:

Backfire
03-15-22, 08:08
It's not the screws... its the piece inside won't fit between the rail and the block.

Okay yall, it's my fault. Point is... its my last BCM and may even sell this paperweight...

Or maybe better yet, I can use a 10inch pic rail, then attach a pic to m-lok mod, then attach my stop...

Bottom line it should work, why yall just can't accept that?

Stickman
03-15-22, 19:13

You are unintentionally comical, and have made my day. Yes, by all means, not only should BCM change a rail design and make it wider so it would have less appeal to the rest of the world, but we should all endeavor to serve you in whatever means possible.

Lastly, like a typical child, the product suddenly sucks because it isn't built for you and your precious shooting handgrip that you no doubt learned while you were in a high speed unit.

BobinNC
03-15-22, 20:02
Backfire,

Maybe BCM should do something, but they won't. So deal with it, or work around it, or you can replace the handguard or move on from the upper altogether, but quit whining about it already. Life's too short to worry about the small shit. In fact most of the newest M-lok hand guards are universally thin, and this is only a real problem with mid-length gas systems, as that's where most normal humans want to place their grubby hands right under or just in front of where the dang gas block is.

I had the same problem with an Aero Upper I bought with a Atlas R-One handguard. I just worked around it, no big deal, no angst at the makers, and no returning or selling the upper. Just OK, searched for a work around, found the one I noted above via Centurion Arms M-lok rail covers, and got on with my life.

Carbine gas is much shorter and rifle length is longer, so the gas block doesn't interfere with most hand stop accessory placement unless your a midget or the jolly green giant. When your in a hole quit digging.....

titsonritz
03-15-22, 23:00
this is only a real problem with mid-length gas systems, as that's where most normal humans want to place their grubby hands right under or just in front of where the dang gas block is.

....and carbine lengths on pistols/SBR. Plenty of way to work around it.

Personally, I like my BCM and Centurion Mlok handguard, in part, for their slim low-profile cross-section and would not want to fatten them up, lots of other options out for fat rails.

Backfire
03-16-22, 11:36
Didn't say it sucked, said it needed improvement. When you purchase an quality item, these oversights have been fixed by QC. If you are ok with mediocre that's fine. For me 700 bucks... things should work.

Not gonna go round and round.
Everyone's points been made.
Have a good day.

Defaultmp3
03-16-22, 11:46
Didn't say it sucked, said it needed improvement. When you purchase an quality item, these oversights have been fixed by QC. If you are ok with mediocre that's fine. For me 700 buckWhat oversight? Still not seeing what needs improvement. You bought a skinny M-LOK handguard, not sure what else to expect. This is like complaining that a 10.3" has a muzzle velocity that's too low for your uses after you bought a MK18 upper.

Dutch110
03-16-22, 13:02
It's not a "QC issue." There is no defect that needs addressed. The product came off the assembly line exactly as it was designed. QC only insures that the product was made to spec and free of any manufacturing flaws. This was neither. It works exactly as designed. And judging by how often they come in and out of stock, demand has rewarded that design decision. You made a poor purchase decision based upon your intended use and did not evaluate the product properly. That's not BCMs issue.

titsonritz
03-16-22, 13:30
Didn't say it sucked, said it needed improvement. When you purchase an quality item, these oversights have been fixed by QC. If you are ok with mediocre that's fine. For me 700 bucks... things should work.

Not gonna go round and round.
Everyone's points been made.
Have a good day.

More like one should be an informed customer and KNOW what they are buying as opposed to assuming.

What oversight? Still not seeing what needs improvement. You bought a skinny M-LOK handguard, not sure what else to expect. This is like complaining that a 10.3" has a muzzle velocity that's too low for your uses after you bought a MK18 upper.

Exactly.

LoboTBL
03-18-22, 08:56
It's not a "QC issue." There is no defect that needs addressed. The product came off the assembly line exactly as it was designed. QC only insures that the product was made to spec and free of any manufacturing flaws. This was neither. It works exactly as designed. And judging by how often they come in and out of stock, demand has rewarded that design decision. You made a poor purchase decision based upon your intended use and did not evaluate the product properly. That's not BCMs issue.

This, exactly this.

vandal5
03-18-22, 19:09
I think all of this m-lok, key-mod placement would be a moot point if you just grabbed the mag well like a normal person....

Defaultmp3
03-18-22, 20:54
I think all of this m-lok, key-mod placement would be a moot point if you just grabbed the mag well like a normal person....https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/suspicious_chicken_despicable_me.gif

vandal5
03-18-22, 21:13
https://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/suspicious_chicken_despicable_me.gifGlad someone got my sarcasm lol.

Guessing I don't have this issue with the Geisssle MK8, but let's be honest... that thing is pretty oddly shaped.

Don't have anything on my LaRue Stealth 2.0 hand guard yet... may run into this with that one.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Tony617
03-19-22, 23:55
I had the same issue trying to put a M-LOK AFG on my mid-length. When I saw the screws were going into my gas block I used shorter screws so it not not hit my gas block. I do not recall if they were included with my AFG or a light mount since they were both from Magpul.

Alex V
03-20-22, 14:10
Had a similar issue with a custom .22 using the BCM MCMR with a can under the hand guard. I cut down the screws and it seems to be fine.

ChattanoogaPhil
03-20-22, 16:25
I have an M-LOK MI Combat rail that would not accommodate an Arisaka fingertip if I wanted it positioned under an SLR gas block. My wife's Palmetto M-LOK handguard has a slightly larger ID that would probably accommodate. "QC" dontcha know... haha.

joedirt199
03-23-22, 20:18
I switched to supressor ready Midwest Industries rails so there is more room on the inside for air and mlok screws as I had problems with ALG sight rails hitting the top of some gas blocks and pushing the barrel down.