PDA

View Full Version : When you can't weld...

markm
03-10-22, 10:15
:laugh:

https://i.imgur.com/lnvKC8k.jpg

JulyAZ
03-10-22, 10:17
It ain’t stupid, if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

markm
03-10-22, 10:35
This lunacy actually works really well. Maybe once per year repair needed.

gunnerblue
03-10-22, 10:46
I don't see a problem

utahjeepr
03-10-22, 11:04
Seriously man. Get a cheap 120V wire feed. It'll save you a fortune in baling wire.

;)

markm
03-10-22, 11:09
This target is in a rugged area where we have to hike the last 50-75 yards. I was welded at one time, but hauling coat hangers is the easiest solution. Especially in the summer.

utahjeepr
03-10-22, 14:50
Just bagging on ya a little. Seriously, if it works shoot it. You should see some of the crap targets I've got out. T posts with blind flanges hung on them and so on.

Doin better than I in targets and frequency of use I'm sure.

markm
03-10-22, 15:57
The hanging wire and flapper nest are sorta woven in together. So when it breaks it looks like a major repair from the shooting position. But it's usually a few minutes of new wire, and back in action. :D

lowprone
03-18-22, 11:18
Yeah, but now all those shirts and suit coats are wadded up on the closet floor.

gaijin
03-18-22, 11:30
��
Well done. Looks like our gear.
Without fail someone will manage to clip enough wire so the 1200 yd steel drops off drive post.
The price we pay…..

markm
03-18-22, 11:31
It's worth it. Gotta keep the targets up.

HKGuns
03-18-22, 11:39
I've found that welding is a skill that is very much worth learning. I bought a TIG welder in November and am teaching myself the skill. It doesn't have to be pretty to work.

You can find reasonably priced units and the supplies are relatively inexpensive, including the gas required, for whatever process you're using.

greybuff
03-23-22, 20:00
I would rather see wired together targets than what I see in the Sycamore Creek area in AZ. When are people going to wake up and realize that taking their tv's, water heaters, micro waves etc out to the desert to shoot at and than leaving all of that garbage out there, they are alienating non shooters to our sport. Soon we won't be able to shoot any where but a dedicated range. The only gun control we need is COMMON SENSE when it comes to what and where we shoot. Steel and paper are the only targets that should be allowed on public lands, and by all means leave the tannerite home, the desert is NO place for that stuff!

gunnerblue
03-23-22, 21:09
I've found that welding is a skill that is very much worth learning. I bought a TIG welder in November and am teaching myself the skill. It doesn't have to be pretty to work.

You can find reasonably priced units and the supplies are relatively inexpensive, including the gas required, for whatever process you're using.

Agreed, though I went MIG as it seems more versatile concerning larger projects. I'm new, though, so I could be wrong.

.45fan
03-24-22, 00:07
I would rather see wired together targets than what I see in the Sycamore Creek area in AZ. When are people going to wake up and realize that taking their tv's, water heaters, micro waves etc out to the desert to shoot at and than leaving all of that garbage out there, they are alienating non shooters to our sport. Soon we won't be able to shoot any where but a dedicated range. The only gun control we need is COMMON SENSE when it comes to what and where we shoot. Steel and paper are the only targets that should be allowed on public lands, and by all means leave the tannerite home, the desert is NO place for that stuff!I shoot at a private members only club with electronic card readers at the entrance.
The dumb bastards do the same at our location then get mad when they are banned.
Gun owners as a whole are the cheapest group of people I have ever been around, so it's normal for them to not want to pay for targets, leaving a giant mess is just people being people.
They banned hitting kids and this is the result.

utahjeepr
03-24-22, 07:23
I would rather see wired together targets than what I see in the Sycamore Creek area in AZ. When are people going to wake up and realize that taking their tv's, water heaters, micro waves etc out to the desert to shoot at and than leaving all of that garbage out there, they are alienating non shooters to our sport. Soon we won't be able to shoot any where but a dedicated range. The only gun control we need is COMMON SENSE when it comes to what and where we shoot. Steel and paper are the only targets that should be allowed on public lands, and by all means leave the tannerite home, the desert is NO place for that stuff!

Yeah, the sheer volume of "trigger trash" is astounding and disgusting. I just can't understand people. Gonna get all public lands closed off. It ain't just shooters, but damn.

I know m preaching to the choir, but what happened to "pick up after yourself" and "leave it cleaner than you found it".

Only upside is clean up on public lands make for a lot of eagle scout projects around here. Still, they could find other projects if folks would wipe their own ass.

Agreed, though I went MIG as it seems more versatile concerning larger projects. I'm new, though, so I could be wrong.

MIG (or flux core) is the easy button. Still takes a little skill to do it right, but it's pretty easy to get started welding "good nuf" and improve from there. Basically like stick welding but the rod keeps growing back while you weld.

TIG is more like electrified Oxy/Ace welding. Slower and just a bit trickier to master, but the welds can be freaking art. And you can weld pretty much anything that will melt. Back gas with enough argon and you can even weld magnesium, wouldn't recommend that for a starter project though. ;)

markm
03-24-22, 07:37
I would rather see wired together targets than what I see in the Sycamore Creek area in AZ.

Wow. I used to shoot out there 20 years ago. Situation is the same I guess. White trash with ATVs blowing up appliances for inbred thrills.

HKGuns
03-24-22, 12:31
Yeah, the sheer volume of "trigger trash" is astounding and disgusting. I just can't understand people. Gonna get all public lands closed off. It ain't just shooters, but damn.

I know m preaching to the choir, but what happened to "pick up after yourself" and "leave it cleaner than you found it".

Only upside is clean up on public lands make for a lot of eagle scout projects around here. Still, they could find other projects if folks would wipe their own ass.

MIG (or flux core) is the easy button. Still takes a little skill to do it right, but it's pretty easy to get started welding "good nuf" and improve from there. Basically like stick welding but the rod keeps growing back while you weld.

TIG is more like electrified Oxy/Ace welding. Slower and just a bit trickier to master, but the welds can be freaking art. And you can weld pretty much anything that will melt. Back gas with enough argon and you can even weld magnesium, wouldn't recommend that for a starter project though. ;)

You should have seen my first attempt at AL. Holy smokes, don’t know if I have a bad tank of Argon or what but it was a freaking disaster.

I’ll stick with steel while learning.

Todd.K
03-24-22, 14:02
Welding isn’t a good choice on AR500 anyway.

markm
03-24-22, 14:15
Welding isn’t a good choice on AR500 anyway.

Whenever I get a target made, I just have holes for wire hangers or bolts included. Most of the steel we shoot is so far down range, it doesn't even need to be AR500. The bullets have dumped enough velocity where they don't pock up the surface.

jbjh
03-24-22, 15:07

My buddy once told me that if you can write in cursive, you should be able to learn to weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKGuns
03-24-22, 16:02
My buddy once told me that if you can write in cursive, you should be able to learn to weld.

It’s a little more complicated than that for sure, but not a lot. It’s heating stuff up and sticking it together.

As I said above, my welds won’t win any beauty contests but for what I need they hold stuff together.

T2C
03-24-22, 16:41
I drove cars that looked like that before I could afford a decent car. Welding is definitely a perishable skill and some of my recent work is proof. I can't remember all the rules I learned in welding class, but I guess "the bigger the glob, the better the job" isn't one of them.

If you are not a welder, you do what you gotta do. Why not cut a longer piece of firehose and hang the swinging plate off of it? If you can't find any more firehose, a piece cut from a conveyor belt or car tire works.

jbjh
03-24-22, 19:42
It’s a little more complicated than that for sure, but not a lot. It’s heating stuff up and sticking it together.

As I said above, my welds won’t win any beauty contests but for what I need they hold stuff together.

No doubt. I think he was just talking about people making ugly welds. But most people’s handwriting is atrocious, so that could explain the preponderance of funky welding in the world.

markm
03-09-23, 16:14
New non-welder mod to the 750 yard flapper. Re-purposed a worthless big box store target as a world class flapper using artisan wiring attaching techniques!

https://i.imgur.com/2dKiXIU.jpg

gaijin
03-09-23, 17:26
^^Hahahaha.

Looks like ours. Thank God for bailing wire.
Used to use chain. Third time someone sheared a link with a .308 I gave up.

markm
03-10-23, 08:44
Used to use chain. Third time someone sheared a link with a .308 I gave up.

Yep. The longest lasting thing is carriage bolts with wire behind the gong. We have a chain hanging on by a thread on the pistol range 75 yard steel.

Adrenaline_6
03-10-23, 09:35
Hey whatever works guys...it's all good.

You might want to to look into the shootingtargets 7 superhangers. Should last you a bit longer. They have ones that rotate on EMT or ones that mount to a 2x4 T-post that you can armor. You will have to replace steel with one that takes the superlock hangers, but their prices are excellent.

https://shootingtargets7.com/products/superhangers-bulletproof-target-hangers

https://shootingtargets7.com/products/superlock-tpost-target-mount

markm
03-10-23, 09:49
They have ones that rotate on EMT or ones that mount to a 2x4 T-post that you can armor. You will have to replace steel with one that takes the superlock hangers, but their prices are excellent.

We must have at least one of almost every design out there. There's 16 pieces on the pistol/short range, and 22 pieces on the Rifle/Long range. The 750 yard target above is the most fun though. It's a hard, but not impossible shot, and it flaps perfectly when hit.

I did armorize some wood stems with old bed frame steel. That trick worked very well. There's some of those kits that mount on the steel fence posts too. Those are pretty nice as well.

Ned Christiansen
03-10-23, 10:11
Ive made and fixed a lot of stuff with coat hangers! It usually worked well but some were abortions. One shop-mate hung a sign by my spot: Ned's Coat Hanger Abortions.

I have similar repairs on my steel. I can totally weld up everything proper but the issue is getting the steel to the welder. I am fortunate to have a large supply of out-of-date large tie-wraps from a police supply. With my steel I keep a "repair kit" of nuts and bolts to reconnect shot-off chains, wrenches and straps and tie-wraps.

markm
03-10-23, 10:25
Yep. Getting to the target above is a drive, and a 75 yard mountain hike. ZERO chance we're hauling that sucker back to civilization for repairs.

Pappabear
03-10-23, 12:08
That new flapper gives us the best pop ever, it flaps all the way to disappear and back. Most rewarding headshot in history. The hard part is the target is near impossible to spot hits to walk it in, but when you hit it, its $$$$$

We need to get a video of it.

PB

Adrenaline_6
03-10-23, 14:00
That new flapper gives us the best pop ever, it flaps all the way to disappear and back. Most rewarding headshot in history. The hard part is the target is near impossible to spot hits to walk it in, but when you hit it, its $$$$$

We need to get a video of it.

PB

The bullseye targets are great. I have one silhouette and one 10" gong with them. I don't shoot it at the distances you guys do (one day I hope to though). I just have used it for pistol use so far.

https://shootingtargets7.com/products/bullseye-silhouette-targets?variant=40831239618740

https://shootingtargets7.com/products/bullseye-gong-targets

Pappabear
03-10-23, 14:08
The bullseye targets are great. I have one silhouette and one 10" gong with them. I don't shoot it at the distances you guys do (one day I hope to though). I just have used it for pistol use so far.

https://shootingtargets7.com/products/bullseye-silhouette-targets?variant=40831239618740

Those are very nice too, our hostage ones are the ones sitting over the shoulder. Great stuff all this steel.

PB

Buckaroo
03-10-23, 18:19

Well crap that just cost me a bundle. Thanks for the lead lol

Adrenaline_6
03-10-23, 19:09
Well crap that just cost me a bundle. Thanks for the lead lol

Lol....You will be real happy with them though. I have the old style ones that doesn't have the slot to use the new metal hangers he has. Mine just have the chains. Those hangers make things real simple and angles the target downward like it supposed to without using carriage bolts like I have.

kerplode
03-10-23, 20:16
"Wrap the shit out of it with bailing wire" is a totally legit automobile suspension repair method around here. Tie rods, ball joints, you name it!