PDA

View Full Version : D.C. police officer’s suicide after Jan. 6 event declared line-of-duty death.

Harpoon
03-11-22, 08:36
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/dc-police-officer-died-suicide-jan-6-riot-declared-line-duty-death-rcna19433
WASHINGTON — "The death of a Washington police officer who died by suicide just days after he was assaulted during the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol has been ruled a line-of-duty death, a finding that makes his widow eligible for enhanced survivor benefits."

AndyLate
03-11-22, 12:18
I think it was the right decision reported by NBC for the wrong reasons.

Andy

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-11-22, 12:20
I don't know how it works, but would it help families if MIL PTSD suicides got the same treatment?

I bet the increase in suicides since COVID won't get blamed on the lockdowns.

markm
03-11-22, 13:10
Cause of Death was also rule CORONA VIRUS... (while we're just completely making shit up on lunatic emotion)

WickedWillis
03-11-22, 13:48
I think it was the right decision reported by NBC for the wrong reasons.

Andy

Great point

titsonritz
03-11-22, 15:24
Meanwhile, Ashli Babbitt's family gets the blow-off.

WickedWillis
03-11-22, 15:41
Meanwhile, Ashli Babbitt's family gets the blow-off.

Same with other families of people that ignore Officer's commands and are fatally shot. Just a bigger stage.

Renegade
03-11-22, 17:19
Dishonors those that actually died in line of duty.

seb5
03-12-22, 07:08

My thoughts exactly...........

pinzgauer
03-12-22, 08:58
Same with other families of people that ignore Officer's commands and are fatally shot. Just a bigger stage.Oh, so LEO is now allowed to shoot unarmed people 15 ft away just because they don't listen to their commands? Who were not an immediate threat?

I'm pretty supportive of LEO and their right to use lethal force. But in this particular case at best it was premature, and at worse was a bad shoot.

All the old law enforcement officers I grew up with would have said it was a chickenshit shoot. Could have been avoided. Or at least there should have been an attempt to avoid.

I'm not horribly opposed to the decision to change the other officers death to duty related so the widow gets benefits. That said, this was not a banner day for the capital police.

ViniVidivici
03-12-22, 13:56

Exactly. What a ****ing joke.

Oh yeah, IBTL, I can see where this shitshow is headed.

AndyLate
03-13-22, 10:09
TBI on duty, shortly after commits suicide. If those are the facts (and I accept its a big IF) then I feel his death was in the line of duty.

Like everything else 1/6, facts are obscured by the Dem's desperate attempts to both paint the worst president in history as legitimate and stir up enough idiots to vote in the mid terms.

Andy

Averageman
03-13-22, 11:17
Here's the thing, your either on Duty or off. He was OFF Duty.
If things got to "Big" for your to handle and you went home to eat your duty pistol, well there were people out there to help you. Did you call?
Sometime suicide makes sense to me, I understand the reaction to having seen way too much, I've dealt with it in my life. But this one doesn't makes sense, but I wouldn't honor the Man for what he did.
There are a lot of "Been There Done That" people here and we all have our devils to deal with.
But please don't dishonor everyone who's still walking and talking and doing a days work by putting this Muppet on a pedestal

graffex
03-13-22, 11:39
That’s honestly the most chickenshit thing I’ve ever heard.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-13-22, 12:19
Exactly. What a ****ing joke.

Oh yeah, IBTL, I can see where this shitshow is headed.

Murder charges for Trump?

Seems like the ultimate participation trophy.

Harpoon
03-13-22, 14:05
Murder charges for Trump?

Seems like the ultimate participation trophy.

Can the Gov now charge thousands of Jan 6 participants with murder?

Isn't there a law where if someone is in the commission of a felony, and a person ends up dead, that's murder charges?

T2C
03-13-22, 16:52

I have to agree.

TAZ
03-14-22, 09:09
If they did it to allow the family to get benefits the officer earned during his service, I’m ok with it, but should have been done in a quiet manner.

My gut says this is political BS to try and increase the damage of the Jan 6. Aka x number of officers killed/injured. In that regard it’s chickenshit and demeans the sacrifices of officer who did really die serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Averageman
03-14-22, 10:10
If they did it to allow the family to get benefits the officer earned during his service, I’m ok with it, but should have been done in a quiet manner.

I'm kinda like this, on that.
If he didn't hang in there for his family, why should we?
Political BS, exactly.
And when it comes to "In that regard it’s chickenshit and demeans the sacrifices of officer who did really die serving." Again, exactly.
Everything isn't political, this guy going home and eating his pistol while sitting in his Lazy Boy has nothing to do with January 6th. Has anyone else let us in on this Officers personal life? There could have been many other issues in this man's life, none of which involve the general tax paying public or the Democratic Paty.

utahjeepr
03-14-22, 11:12
Ok, what is the SOP when an officer taps out? I'm guessing it ain't a "line of duty death" in other instances of officer suicide.

This is only so they can continue to play politics with LEOs "killed" by "terrorists".

Feel bad for the guys family, but not bad enough to swallow that lie just so they get a better package of bennies.

ETA: Now, if they wanna provide full bennies to families of officers and vets who punch out just as a general policy? As a matter of respect and acknowledgement of the potential traumas of the job? I can get behind that.

jsbhike
03-14-22, 20:36

Either way it is called fraud.