PDA

View Full Version : Grendel Mags

HKGuns
03-11-22, 14:50
I’m having feeding issues on my 20” Grendel build and it is getting a bit maddening.

It will feed a couple rounds correctly then jam a round into the top of the barrel extension.

I currently use E-Lander mags, which are supposed to be gtg, but are not.

I bought an AA bolt in case it isn’t the mags, but I’m thinking it’s definitely the mags because the rounds get all janky when I manually cycle them out of the mags.

What mags are you using in your Grendel?

Are feeding issues just something I need to live with?

Am I missing something?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

caporider
03-11-22, 16:51
Duramag 20 round mags work the best for me across all my Grendel ARs.

joedirt199
03-11-22, 20:04
Slide a round out of the top of your mags. If the edge of the brass neck hits the flat front of the magazine, file that front more curved so the brass clears it. I was removing brass by had, pushing them out the front and they would hit that sharp edge and hang up. Also sanded the sharp inside of the feed lips so they don't grab the brass so hard and don't leave deep scratches.

Red*Lion
03-11-22, 20:05
I primarily use ASC Grendel mags. The 15 and 25 round magazines. I also have a few Duramag/C-Product Grendel mags. I have had good luck with both.

Red*Lion
03-11-22, 20:09
Slide a round out of the top of your mags. If the edge of the brass neck hits the flat front of the magazine, file that front more curved so the brass clears it. I was removing brass by had, pushing them out the front and they would hit that sharp edge and hang up. Also sanded the sharp inside of the feed lips so they don't grab the brass so hard and don't leave deep scratches.

You can certainly do this. I had feeding issues using Duramag/C-Product 7.62x39 mags in my 2 AR's in that caliber. I filed down the front of the mag as suggested above, slightly bent the feed lips upwards a little and also flattened about 3/4" of the vertical support ribs in the mag body. These tweaks helped to end feeding problems. Bending the feed lips up a little allowed the top round to sit a little higher in the mag and it then fed into the chamber much more consistently.

gunnerblue
03-11-22, 22:02
All of my Grendel mags are from AA and have blue followers. They are a few years old and I have never had any feeding issues

grizzman
03-11-22, 23:13
I'm using E-Lander mags for mine. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but it's been 100% reliable so far.

How many of the E-Landers have you tried?

HKGuns
03-12-22, 06:14
I'm using E-Lander mags for mine. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but it's been 100% reliable so far.

How many of the E-Landers have you tried?

I have three big ones and one little one. (I can’t remember how many rounds they hold.)

The little one, 4 rounds, for hunting, seems ok. It is the bigger ones where one side of the mag gets tilted and the rounds go wonky.

My followers are white.

pinzgauer
03-12-22, 09:02
OG (2008-2009?) C-products, AA mags, and elander. Never had an issue across three Grendel's and thousands of rounds.

wanderson
03-14-22, 13:46
I’ve mainly shot E-Lander 17s & 10s without issue in two ARs and a Ruger Am Predator.

Never had any feeding issues but top round is pretty tight on a full mag, but all of em got looser with use. I usually downloaded them one or two rounds on break in.

Also have a CPD 30 rounder, the big curved one. Not 100% reliable when fully loaded but usually nothing that can’t be cleared with a tap of the FA. But it doesn’t get used.

But I grabbed a dozen CPD 20s and those have been great right out of the box, no break in. Popping out the top round of a full mag is noticeably easier than the E-Landers. The E-Landers have heavy steel bodies and STRONG springs.

On the Grendel forum someone was having a similar issue with a Ruger AR mag bolt action. Cycling fast usually fed but cycling the bolt slowly often ended up with what you’re describing. As the round was stripped, it’d sometimes nose up and jam. Cutting a few loops off his E-Lander spring fixed his problem.

pinzgauer
03-14-22, 19:43
If you are hand cycling you need to make sure you're releasing the charging handle when all the way at the back and not following it down.

Likewise, all my Grendel's would feed at least 5 shots out of a plain PMAG.

If you can't find known good Grendel mags to test with I'd try a pmag from a buddy.

Mine will actually shoot about 10 Grendel out of a 30 round 556 pmag, but the stacking gets wonky.

pinzgauer
03-14-22, 19:45
Also, since you mentioned 20 in you need to make sure that the barrel feed ramps match the correct upper receiver. Rifle for rifle feed ramps, m4 for m4 feed ramps.

HKGuns
03-14-22, 20:27
Not happening during manual cycling. Live fire is the only thing I count as real.

Put my last 20 rounds through her without a feeding error using the 4 round E-Mag on Saturday.

Was a good thought on the feed ramps, so I checked. They’re the same and align pretty well. Not perfect, but not bad enough to cause the sort of misfeeds I’m seeing with the larger mags.

I ordered some 20 round duramags to try. I will see how they work.

This is primarily a hunting rig, so I am happy the hunting legal mag works reliably.

Bret
04-11-22, 15:36
If you'll pay for my flight to Bora Bora and back, I'll bring an RZE Unimag to try. They work great in 7.62x39, so 6.5Grendel should work too.

HKGuns
04-11-22, 18:56
If you'll pay for my flight to Bora Bora and back, I'll bring an RZE Unimag to try. They work great in 7.62x39, so 6.5Grendel should work too.

Sorry we don’t allow standard capacity magazines on the Island. :)

I am out of Grendel ammo so haven’t had a chance to test the duramags yet. Need to fire up the single stage.