PDA

View Full Version : Geissele SSA trigger for rifle

sjc3081
03-11-22, 17:50
I have a Geissele SSA on my AR DMR rifle. Does any one make a similar trigger for my other build. If I have to buy another SSA Iwill. I have a PA 10 that I added a Criterion 20” LR118 barrel to. The rifle shoots one hole groups at 100 with Federal match , but its trigger is horrible. I heard good things about ALG triggers, but my only experience is stock tiggers and my SSA. Any advise would be helpful.

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-11-22, 18:28
After using Centurions 2 stage trigger (https://centurionarms.com/triggers/centurion-arms-llc-advanced-sniper-trigger-ast-2-stage-trigger/), I won't be buying anymore Geisseles unless they're on sale for stupid cheap.

sjc3081
03-11-22, 19:06
After using Centurions 2 stage trigger (https://centurionarms.com/triggers/centurion-arms-llc-advanced-sniper-trigger-ast-2-stage-trigger/), I won't be buying anymore Geisseles unless they're on sale for stupid cheap.

Thx I will check them out.

grizzman
03-11-22, 19:20
If your idea of checking them out means buying one, then you made the right decision

sjc3081
03-11-22, 20:35
I bought one from the Centurion website.

grizzman
03-11-22, 21:13
Now that I'm at my laptop.......though at this point, I guess the info is just for future readers of this thread.

If you're looking for a single stage trigger, the ALG ACT is better than a standard trigger, but not by much. I used JP triggers, which I think are now called the Classic for years, and was very happy with them. If you take the time to set them up, they've got no creep, a very crisp break, and very little overtravel. I bought a Timney drop-in unit when I found one on sale, since I've been using Timneys in Remington 700s for a long time. It's got some creep, which I really wasn't expecting, since it's a cassette design. It's not bad, just not as nice as a well setup JP.

In the 2-stage realm, I bought my first SSA and a LaRue MBT at about the same time. The MBT immediately became my standard trigger, and I've bought quite a few of them. They do have an odd shoe shape, but I've never found it to be a hindrance in my shooting. They've all been as crisp as, and most crisper than, the SSA. Bill describes the SSA's break as carrot-like, but I consider that a bit of an exaggeration, but they're definitely not like an icicle. Once I bought my first Centurion AST, it became my standard. Takeup is as smooth as the SSA and MBT, there's no creep, and the break is as crisp as the MBTs. It really does feel as nice as a Geissele, for less than 1/2 the price.

You might have noticed I didn't mention reset. Reset is only something I notice when dry firing....not really when shooting. The SSA might have the best of all of the above units, followed by the Centurion, followed by the MBT. The difference between them is hardly worth mentioning. I haven't used the JP or Timney in long enough to not reliably comment on their resets.

sjc3081
03-13-22, 13:21
Thx Grizz
You informative post was well worth the effort.

RHINOWSO
03-13-22, 16:00
I love Geissele but the Centurion AST is great and very very close in all aspects - I have maybe 6 Geissele triggers, had to 2 MBTs, but sold both and now have Centurion ASTs in place of the Larues.

If I need a future SSA or SSA-E trigger, I would likely just get the Centurion AST instead.

titsonritz
03-13-22, 18:30

That's the one. A year or so ago the LaRue MBT-2S was go to deal but since Mark bumped his price the Centurion AST clear winner these days.

markm
03-14-22, 09:36
the ALG ACT is better than a standard trigger, but not by much.

We were just talking about this Saturday. My ALG never bugged me until I tried shooting groups and zeroing my ACOG. Wow. You really notice a mediocre trigger when you're trying to hold a magnified reticle steady.

You might have noticed I didn't mention reset. Reset is only something I notice when dry firing....not really when shooting.

I really notice reset when shooting groups on paper, but it's a slow fire deal anyway.

Pappabear was telling me to get a LaRue MBT on Saturday (before he saw this thread), but I'm not about to give LaRue any of my money. Centurion it is!

Stickman
03-14-22, 09:52
I have a Geissele SSA on my AR DMR rifle. Does any one make a similar trigger for my other build. If I have to buy another SSA Iwill. I have a PA 10 that I added a Criterion 20” LR118 barrel to. The rifle shoots one hole groups at 100 with Federal match , but its trigger is horrible. I heard good things about ALG triggers, but my only experience is stock tiggers and my SSA. Any advise would be helpful.

I have a lot of different triggers, and I do mean a lot. My advice would be to buy a second SSA. Having two rifles that feel the same is a good thing. I have a million that all feel different, which sounds great, but means I have to do a quick refresh and power up my learning curve each time I grab one which isn’t “basic”.

Stickman
03-14-22, 09:53
My ALG never bugged me until I tried shooting groups and zeroing my ACOG.

Pappabear was telling me to get a LaRue MBT on Saturday (before he saw this thread), but I'm not about to give LaRue any of my money. Centurion it is!

Affirm, we need to get PB straightened out!

markm
03-14-22, 10:49
I've been spending too much money lately, or I'd already have one of the Centurion triggers on the way.

mpom
03-14-22, 16:41
Okay, just ordered a Centurion based on this and other threads. Looking forward to comparing it to the 2 MBTs in the stable.

grizzman
03-14-22, 19:43
I worded my reset comment poorly. I don't notice it when shooting with any speed. When I shoot for groups, I definitely notice the reset, but these are similar enough that I doubt I could identify which trigger I'm using by the reset.

Stick, are you suggesting that you can easily identify whether a lower has an SSA, or AST, or another good Schmid-based 2-stage trigger just by feel? I certainly can't.....unless that's the only reason I'm pulling the trigger, which is a rather pointless exercise.

markm
03-14-22, 21:51
I worded my reset comment poorly. I don't notice it when shooting with any speed. When I shoot for groups, I definitely notice the reset, but these are similar enough that I doubt I could identify which trigger I'm using by the reset.

Gotcha. Yeah.. I don't notice too much about triggers either until, like I said, I'm trying to shoot a group and a trigger has creep.

ssc
03-14-22, 22:36
I will give my thoughts. I can tell the difference between an SSA and the typical Schmid 2 stage trigger. I have over 20 Geissele triggers in my AR's. I also have 4 Larue triggers with only a flat bow in my test lower, but have run some in other lowers. I have a sionics 2 stage and 3 centurian 2 stage triggers. (Schmid 2 stage). I have previously given a review of the sionics 2 stage. Of course this is all personal observations and YMMV.

I am not a fan of geissele for my own reasons, but I do like their triggers. I run the SSA, SSA-E, SDE and the SDC. I have and dislike the SD3G. I have been using them for years. So I like them or perhaps am use to them. Except for 2 triggers that had issues (including one that is currently at G), I find them to be crisp with no creep and a good, sharp, short, responsive reset. The reset is something that I am sensitive too. Perhaps it is because of shooting 1911's in competitions for many years and I ride the reset. If the reset is long or weak or "slow" it feels like I outrun the trigger and will on occasion short stroke the trigger. I will admit that in slow deliberate fire, it is not as important.

Regarding the Larue trigger, I hate the curved bow. It is too wide and the reset is too long, soft, slow etc. I short stroke the trigger. Perhaps I have used G triggers too long and am just use to the feel of the G trigger shoe, which is similar to the schmid shoe. I like the feel of the Larue flat shoe, but the reset is problematic-TO ME as set forth above. I think it is a solid trigger for the price, but it doesn't work for me.

Regarding the centurion/sionics/schmid triggers, I have tried them and ran them. I find them all to have a bit of creep and the reset is not as sharp, short, fast or responsive as the reset on the G triggers. With that said, if the G triggers all disappeared tomorrow, they would be my second choice given G vs LR vs Schmid.

The above are MY subjective findings only. For many folks the reset is not as important. Just as an aside, I ordered another centurion trigger a few months ago and ran it against an SSA. I ran drills and slow fire. After 300 rounds my opinion was again confirmed and I removed it. For someone who has only used a stock single stage trigger and wanted to try a nice 2 stage, the schmid is a good trigger for the price.

Perhaps I am the proverbial old dog who has gotten use to the feel of the G triggers and I know what I prefer. Perhaps this causes me to be blind to other items. Again YMMV.

Cheers, Steve

markm
03-15-22, 09:12
Thanks for that. You're way more in tune with triggers than I am. I jump back and forth from Pappabears Geissele triggers to my USGI and don't notice a thing until I'm on magnification and shooting paper.

TehLlama
03-15-22, 12:39
Literally the biggest con of the GSSA trigger is that the GSSA-E exists. If I want more of a fighting rifle setup with a proper trigger but solid >4.5lb pull weight, then yes, GSSA, but the moment I have a magnified optic of any description going on, the SSA-E is just plain better at a trivial cost delta.

When I finally upgrade my working turd rifle to a C4-MLOK-FSP rail, I'll probably shovel some more money Monte's way to try out the Centurion trigger

mpom
03-15-22, 16:20
I get that non cassette 2 stage triggers may have excessive creep as hammer and trigger pin hole locations likely vary, and manufacturers build in a safety margin. An easy fix is to carefully stone a bit of material off the area on the hammer that bumps the disconnector. This prolongs the 1st stage and shortens 2nd. I just lay the hammer down on a flat stone, with a piece of paper or masking tape under the end of hammer, so only one spot gets taken down. This worked on multiple Larue MBTs, expect it will work on the incoming Centurion, if needed.

grizzman
03-15-22, 17:09
I’d be shocked if any of the 2 stage triggers mentioned so far in this thread had any more than minimal, only noticeable when shooting groups, creep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
03-15-22, 17:13
I agree.

HKGuns
03-15-22, 20:55
Stone any of the triggers mentioned in this thread at your own risk.

I’ll not be stoning any of my G-triggers any time soon.

I did stone a DD Milspec last night. It took some creep out but didn’t turn it into a G-Trigger, not even close.

markm
03-15-22, 22:29

Oh for sure. Hell no. That reminds me of AR15.com. There used to be some douchebag company that many of those imbeciles would send their triggers to get ruined. Just ruin the surface hardening and cause all kinds of problems.

AndyLate
03-16-22, 08:29
I’d be shocked if any of the 2 stage triggers mentioned so far in this thread had any more than minimal, only noticeable when shooting groups, creep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a G2S trigger that was ridiculously creepy in a low-end receiver. It is fine in my LMT lower.

Andy

titsonritz
03-16-22, 14:38

I’ll not be stoning any of my G-triggers any time soon.

No doubt, good way to f' up a $240 trigger.

grizzman
03-16-22, 14:53
I have a G2S trigger that was ridiculously creepy in a low-end receiver. It is fine in my LMT lower.

Andy

That’s because your low end lower is out of spec, not because of any deficiency in the trigger assembly. Any attempt to modify the hammer to make it work better in an out-of-spec lower will possibly make it unsafe in other in-spec lowers. Jacking up a $100+ trigger assembly and dedicating it for use in a sub-$50 defective lower makes absolutely no sense to me.

AndyLate
03-17-22, 06:21
That’s because your low end lower is out of spec, not because of any deficiency in the trigger assembly.

That was my point.

Andy

DG23
03-17-22, 20:28
Just ruin the surface hardening and cause all kinds of problems.

There are places that can be adjusted / ground where the surface does not require that same level of harness that others might.

markm
03-18-22, 09:30
There are places that can be adjusted / ground where the surface does not require that same level of harness that others might.

Maybe. But too much downside risk for me.

EzGoingKev
03-20-22, 04:20
Literally the biggest con of the GSSA trigger is that the GSSA-E exists. If I want more of a fighting rifle setup with a proper trigger but solid >4.5lb pull weight, then yes, GSSA, but the moment I have a magnified optic of any description going on, the SSA-E is just plain better at a trivial cost delta.

The SSA-E definitely has a cleaner break than the SSA. From my experience the only place that cleaner brake made a difference was when dry firing. It did not translate into better groups and when doing CQB type drills I did not even notice the break at all.

I would like to try one of Geiselle's new fancy SSA-E's with their Lightning Bow trigger shoe but not for $325.

markm
03-21-22, 10:33
We got to run the Centurion yesterday. Pappabear scooped one up and we put it into my MMC SOCOM gun.

The trigger started out with a little bit of creep. Shorter and lighter creep, by far, than the ALG it replaced, but I was a little concered. However, after a handful of dry fires, and a few mags of live fire the creep was gone. It proved to be a very good value after all. Assuming they hold up and are reliable, these are great triggers for the money.

https://i.imgur.com/zDAsDxU.jpg

TehLlama
03-21-22, 10:37
The SSA-E definitely has a cleaner break than the SSA. From my experience the only place that cleaner brake made a difference was when dry firing. It did not translate into better groups and when doing CQB type drills I did not even notice the break at all.

I would like to try one of Geiselle's new fancy SSA-E's with their Lightning Bow trigger shoe but not for $325.

I definitely feel like a fair bit of that break cleanliness does come from just overall lower pull weight. Anytime I'm moving and shooting, the SSA feels identical, so yes... for the OP putting it onto a .308 setup it's basically rounding error to upgrade, but in most cases the SSA still sits in a pretty good spot of buying enough of a hardware upgrade to make the software always the weak point for training (where I need to be at mentally), and for that exact application it gets the job done, and semi-precision builds with magnified optics, the SSA-E achieves that same job all the way to supported prone for me.

EzGoingKev
03-21-22, 13:26
I definitely feel like a fair bit of that break cleanliness does come from just overall lower pull weight. Anytime I'm moving and shooting, the SSA feels identical, so yes... for the OP putting it onto a .308 setup it's basically rounding error to upgrade, but in most cases the SSA still sits in a pretty good spot of buying enough of a hardware upgrade to make the software always the weak point for training (where I need to be at mentally), and for that exact application it gets the job done, and semi-precision builds with magnified optics, the SSA-E achieves that same job all the way to supported prone for me.
I also tried the SSA-E with the SSA's springs. The SSA-E definitely has a better brake.

mpom
03-22-22, 18:25
[QUOTE=markm;3021055]We got to run the Centurion yesterday. Pappabear scooped one up and we put it into my MMC SOCOM gun.

The trigger started out with a little bit of creep. Shorter and lighter creep, by far, than the ALG it replaced, but I was a little concered. However, after a handful of dry fires, and a few mags of live fire the creep was gone. It proved to be a very good value after all. Assuming they hold up and are reliable, these are great triggers for the money.

Installed a Centurion 2 stage for a friend and had the same experience, some noticeable creep. Lightly polished the engagement surfaces of hammer and trigger, creep still present, just smoother. Tool a bit of metal off the disconnector where it contacts the trigger, which prolongs 1st stage and shortens 2nd stage, now as crisp as can be. Pull weight just a hair over 4lbs, will likely settle at 4 lbs after some use. Compared to a couple of MBTs I have installed, the MBTs feel a bit more solid. Hard to explain, not better or worse just different, more precise, like it has tighter tolerances. Perhaps the increased width of the engagement surfaces of the MBT are the reason, not sure. I do like the trigger face of the Centurion more than the MBT, as its radiused at the edges. MBT has a flat face and sharp edges, which I radiused and blued. MBTs also required a bit of stoning of non engagement surfaces to get rid of noticeable creep, so no clear winner, both good and can be made excellent.

sjc3081
03-22-22, 20:29
I compared the SSA and the AST side by side. Dry firing both triggers side by side are so similar, it is hard to tell one from another. I am just a hobbyist shooter, I am most likely not qualified to offer my opinion. The SSA has a slightly lighter second stage and less precise release. The AST seems to have very slightly heavier second stage and a more precise release. That is the best I can offer at this time.

markm
03-23-22, 09:00
Normally I'd put that Geiselle grease on the engagement surfaces, but we were at the range and I didn't have any.