PDA

View Full Version : CitriStrip - Advice & Recommendations

BangBang77
03-12-22, 09:17
Hey guys, I just received a quart of CitriStrip to remove some Aervoe paint from a rifle and various accessories.

Having read the directions, it specifically states NOT to use on fiberglass, plastic, or vinyl. The only plastic on the rifle would be the MOE grip, hand stop, and buttstock. I have no concern if I damage any or all of the above on these items.

My concern is my Acog. It's a standard TA01 Acog for the record. Does anyone know if the CitriStrip will damage the turret caps or the turret cap o-rings? I'm not sure of the material type of the caps; are they aluminum or plastic? If they're aluminum, then I have no concern. I can't scrape them with a pic or a knife, so I'm leaning toward anodized aluminum.

What about the o-rings? If I damage them, can they be purchased directly from Trijicon?

I will tape the lenses off with 100mph tape to prevent lens coating damage.

Any other advice or recommendations before I dive in?

Thanks in advance.

turnburglar
03-12-22, 14:47
If you need o rings get them from McMaster Carr.

Use painters tape to tape everything off. 100mph tape near glass sounds dumb to me.

Citristrip works great on Aluminum and Steel but it almost doesn't work at all on plastics. I have gotten a few guns back to bare, but for the painted plastics like anything from magpul you will just have to paint them black.

Citristrip is a very mild agent so dont worry about it hurting anything. I apply it liberally and then let it sit for like 3 - 7 minutes and then re apply more and let it sit again 3 minutes, then spray more on and then take the piece inside and rinse in scolding water with a sponge. The paint should be flaking off and almost peeling at this point. You will probably need to redo the process a few times to get ALL of the paint off a specific part. I normally do 3 - 4 cycles.

prepare
03-12-22, 15:46
A power washer after the Ciitristrip has been applied makes for a quick clean strip.

opngrnd
03-12-22, 16:23
I stuff filler over the lens before taping up with painters tape as a precautionary measure.

titsonritz
03-13-22, 17:52
This thread may be of use to you....

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?214344-Citristrip-Works-well-for-removing-rattlecan-paint&highlight=CitriStrip

AndyLate
03-13-22, 20:09
~SNIP~
rinse in scolding water with a sponge.
~SNIP~

:)

Andy

BangBang77
03-14-22, 15:13
Hey guys, thanks for the tips and the thread link to Euro's thread. I knew there was one out there but couldn't find it.

The Citristrip worked great. I applied it and rinsed a few times and the ACOG looks brand new. A toothbrush and a dozen toothpicks helped get the crevices and recesses cleaned thoroughly.

This stuff is excellent for paint removal. And best of all, I did it sitting in my kitchen at the bar (other than the rinsing, of course).

turnburglar
03-14-22, 15:23
Congrats glad it worked out for you.

Post pics if you want.