PDA

View Full Version : $10,000 to invest when market sh!ts

signal4l
03-19-22, 23:14
When the stock market experiences its seemingly inevitable, upcoming crash I would like to invest 10k.

I am a 401k, mutual fund investor. Never had much success picking stocks. I would appreciate some suggestions. I was thinking about DOW diamond or NASDAQ Spyder

Hank6046
03-19-22, 23:21
Look, I am by no means a Nancy Pelosi or an investment wiz but I do have a financial planner who has made me a decent return on my initial 10k, now I have invested much more with him throughout the years but he and others that I have talked with all seem to understand that with a downturn there is opportunity, I would recommend talking to one before talking to some random person on the internet, but that is just my 2 cents, which only adds up to 2.3 cents over time

fedupflyer
03-19-22, 23:43
Go read John Boggles book. He is the guy that started Vanguard.
In short, invest in index funds.

signal4l
03-19-22, 23:43
Look, I am by no means a Nancy Pelosi or an investment wiz but I do have a financial planner who has made me a decent return on my initial 10k, now I have invested much more with him throughout the years but he and others that I have talked with all seem to understand that with a downturn there is opportunity, I would recommend talking to one before talking to some random person on the internet, but that is just my 2 cents, which only adds up to 2.3 cents over time

I agree. Speaking to investment advisor is next step. Just looking to start a conversation

markm
03-20-22, 09:00
The market has already corrected. You think there's MORE downturn??

Put all 10k in CIDM.

HKGuns
03-20-22, 09:05
Don’t try to time the market. Invest in an index fund and let it sit.

This assumes you won’t need the money for at least 5 years.

I made adjustments to my portfolio after the election was stolen. It has prevented me from losing more on paper than I have already to date.

Just one more reason to hate XiDen and his merry band of idiots.

This doesn’t even consider what I am losing to inflation.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-20-22, 11:35
Basically this. I have been investing since 2006. I have ridden through the 2008, 2020, and now 2022 crashes. Every time some person smarter than me tells me that everything has changed, this is it, cash out, etc. It always comes back. Back in 2008 a guy who is unquestionably smarter than I am cashed out at the BOTTOM of the financial crisis telling me that he didn't think capitalism would survive, etc. I told him "Dude, if capitalism doesn't survive, I already have AK-47s".

In 2020 a dude at least as smart as me was schadenfrueding me about my colossal losses at the beginng of covid. I pointed out to him that even at the bottom I still had way more than I had ever put in. Never cash out until you are done, buy into a broad index fund whenever you have cash on had. Warren Buffet himself is putting all his money into Index funds after he is dead.

Don’t try to time the market. Invest in an index fund and let it sit.

This assumes you won’t need the money for at least 5 years.

I made adjustments to my portfolio after the election was stolen. It has prevented me from losing more on paper than I have already to date.

Just one more reason to hate XiDen and his merry band of idiots.

This doesn’t even consider what I am losing to inflation.

utahjeepr
03-20-22, 12:22
Unless you find an advisor that can show you a track record of past performance in volatile markets, stick with traditional investment strategies detailed above.

Even with proven success in the past, there is higher risk. A good advisor is gonna explain all this in detail and flesh out your risk tolerance really well. If he talks "I can make great returns in any market" (especially without real documentation), get the F up and walk out.

Coal Dragger
03-20-22, 13:05
A boring ass S&P 500 index fund is tough to go wrong with. Buy the fund, and forget you own it for about 10 years.

kerplode
03-20-22, 13:29
IVV/VOO or ITOT/VTI depending on your broker, then leave it alone.

Don't try to time the market...There is very little chance you'll time the bottom correctly anyway....Just get it in. Time in the market beats timing the market.

Quantitative analysis has pretty conclusively shown that lump-sum investing beats DCA, but if you feel that DCA would give you some risk mitigation, then go for it...Just do it over a relatively short period of time (Something like $2k every two weeks over 10 weeks total)

kerplode
03-20-22, 13:49
An all stock portfolio like above can and will experience periodic large drawdowns. You need to be sure you can stand seeing your portfolio down 30-60% without freaking out and selling. Diamond hands...It's not for the faint of heart, but with broad market index funds, something truly catastrophic would have to happen for it to never come back.

If you want smaller drawdowns on average, you can diversify a little to a 3-fund portfolio that looks something like this:
70% US Total Stock Market Fund
20% US Aggregate Bond Fund
10% International Total Market Fund

Just make sure that you pick a short duration bond fund to limit your interest rate risk.

Averageman
03-20-22, 14:11
A boring ass S&P 500 index fund is tough to go wrong with. Buy the fund, and forget you own it for about 10 years.

This, once the kids leave the house crank that rascal up to 30%

markm
03-20-22, 20:02
For funzies, I'm going to bump this thread later this year or so to quantify my stock tip. And if it takes a large crap, I welcome anyone to bump this thread to shame my miserable ass!

(Last Close of CIDM $0.7420 at the time of this post) Investment basis 10k for the OP.

gsd2053
03-21-22, 09:48
For funzies, I'm going to bump this thread later this year or so to quantify my stock tip. And if it takes a large crap, I welcome anyone to bump this thread to shame my miserable ass!

(Last Close of CIDM $0.7420 at the time of this post) Investment basis 10k for the OP.

I like the cut of your jib

TehLlama
03-21-22, 10:40
Half into S&P, half into whatever the canonical opposite of the Ecomentalist 'Ethical Self-Aggrandizement' fund is that you can get at a solid cost.

MegademiC
03-21-22, 10:51
I vote a leveraged etf like tqqq or upro.

Good balance of security and volitility IMO.

markm
03-21-22, 10:52
It'll be interesting to see what the markets do with this nut, Putin. With our disgustingly weak and incompetent Administration, the markets COULD crash if this war spins into a big mess. I'm betting we're at or near the bottom.

Of course they could release another bio weapon, and mess everything up again.

MegademiC
03-21-22, 10:54
It'll be interesting to see what the markets do with this nut, Putin. With our disgustingly weak and incompetent Administration, the markets COULD crash if this war spins into a big mess. I'm betting we're at or near the bottom.

Of course they could release another bio weapon, and mess everything up again.

Lol yeah, i think were on our way out. I just finished averaging down and broke even already.

Crow Hunter
03-21-22, 11:47
When the stock market experiences its seemingly inevitable, upcoming crash I would like to invest 10k.

I am a 401k, mutual fund investor. Never had much success picking stocks. I would appreciate some suggestions. I was thinking about DOW diamond or NASDAQ Spyder

If you have the money now and you want to invest it, do it today. Time in the market beats timing the market, every time.

Invest it in VTSAX (or similar from Fidelity or other) in a brokerage account at Vanguard or Fidelity (I use Vanguard). Have it setup to put dividends in a sweep account and every quarter go in and invest those dividends back into it.

If there is a huge downturn, do what is called "tax loss harvesting". Exchange your Total Stock Market fund for a SP500 fund and in 30 days, if it is in the red, swap back. Continue to do this until the market starts going back up. You can capture all those losses and carry them forward forever and use them off offset gains when you sell at a profit later or use can use $3,000 per year to offset regular income.

It isn't hard at all and it is not something you have to try and time "just right".

Tons of great information here:

https://www.bogleheads.org/

Look for Livesoft's tutorial on Tax Loss Harvesting for a step by step description of how to do it.

markm
03-21-22, 11:57
If you have the money now and you want to invest it, do it today. Time in the market beats timing the market, every time.

I agree. Even if there is another crash/correction, we're already at a decent buy level. I started trading at the tail end of the last bull run. I'm down a good chunk, but time will fix that... or we'll all get blown off the planet with our nutty leaders. In which case, the market losses won't matter.

utahjeepr
03-21-22, 12:03
I agree. Even if there is another crash/correction, we're already at a decent buy level. I started trading at the tail end of the last bull run. I'm down a good chunk, but time will fix that... or we'll all get blown off the planet with our nutty leaders. In which case, the market losses won't matter.

Just hoping me and my portfolio can make it intact to June 30, 2028. Retirement day!

markm
03-21-22, 12:07
Damn. You have it down to the day!

Crow Hunter
03-21-22, 15:01
Just hoping me and my portfolio can make it intact to June 30, 2028. Retirement day!

May 1st 2026 for me! :)

AKDoug
03-21-22, 16:19
This, once the kids leave the house crank that rascal up to 30%

The money I had left over every month after my three kids left the house was astounding. I made it clear I wasn't supporting them or paying for college. We're all still friends and they've launched into this world effectively. The best investment advice I can give parents is cut them loose at 18 and stop paying for them. Then take the savings and invest wisely for that last run until you're able to retire.

Averageman
03-21-22, 19:47
The money I had left over every month after my three kids left the house was astounding. I made it clear I wasn't supporting them or paying for college. We're all still friends and they've launched into this world effectively. The best investment advice I can give parents is cut them loose at 18 and stop paying for them. Then take the savings and invest wisely for that last run until you're able to retire.

I invested all of his child support payments in to a college fund, which was smart, but I stuffed a lot of cash away.

everready73
03-22-22, 11:48

This is basically my strategy. It is hard to beat the historical gains of the S&P, even if you have a really good advisor.

Averageman
03-23-22, 08:17
Buy US oil futures.

markm
03-23-22, 13:02
Buy US oil futures.

Oil is at $113 per barrel as of this post. I sure hope for our sake you're wildly wrong on that advice!! :eek:

duece71
03-23-22, 17:12
Gold, silver coins or precious metal etfs should be somewhere in your portfolio.

Averageman
03-23-22, 20:05
Oil is at $113 per barrel as of this post. I sure hope for our sake you're wildly wrong on that advice!! :eek:

Here's the thing, the price of oil doesn't effect the price of some oil stocks directly.
They may have money coming in, but oil exploration will need to continue and right now the money for that is nonexistent. Right now the Administration has put major blocks on Oil Companies borrowing money, so they can't go to the bank.

Coal Dragger
03-24-22, 03:13

LOL. I’m doing it backwards. My son will turn 18 years old in 2035 and I will be eligible to retire at age 60 with 30+ years of service in Railroad Retirement in 2038. So I had a relative head start in my 401K before he came along, but won’t have much time on the back end once he’s out of the house. I haven’t changed my 401K contribution very much though, never below 10% of gross income and for most of the time prior to having the boy I was at 15%.

Pretty funny thinking back, my 20 year high school reunion was held 2 weeks after my son was born. There are classmates of mine who probably had kids who were already out of high school and I was a new father.

utahjeepr
03-24-22, 06:39
LOL. I’m doing it backwards. My son will turn 18 years old in 2035 and I will be eligible to retire at age 60 with 30+ years of service in Railroad Retirement in 2038. So I had a relative head start in my 401K before he came along, but won’t have much time on the back end once he’s out of the house. I haven’t changed my 401K contribution very much though, never below 10% of gross income and for most of the time prior to having the boy I was at 15%.

Pretty funny thinking back, my 20 year high school reunion was held 2 weeks after my son was born. There are classmates of mine who probably had kids who were already out of high school and I was a new father.

You should be in good shape. The money put in early is way more valuable than what you put in at the tail end. More time to grow, time value of money, and all that.

I still contribute, and max out my HSA (HSA can be a backdoor "IRA" for medical expenses in retirement) but I know it's practically just a CD at this point.

themonk
03-24-22, 07:24
If I had 10k to invest today I would put it in crypto and probably Cardano ADA. If you have no other holdings put it in a index fund and forget about it.

markm
03-24-22, 07:34
If I had 10k to invest today I would put it in crypto and

What about Buffet and Burry saying there's a crypto bubble?

themonk
03-24-22, 08:11
What about Buffet and Burry saying there's a crypto bubble?

I dont really see the long term point in bitcoin other than its a gateway drug for large investment funds to say they own crypto (although I own it). On some of the alt coins like Cardano I think there is a bigger opportunity for growth and we just went through a large correction so now is a good time to buy.

Buffet is notoriously behind on tech and didnt get involved in apple until bill gates lead him along. He has openly said many times he doesn't understand the intricacies of tech equities. If he has issues with day to day tech stocks he will be clueless about crypto. By no means his bread and butter.

Burry I think is more at war with Catherine Wood and just likes to use his notoriety to tell people they are wrong. He is successful but has a lot of bad shorts like Tesla.

Web 3.0 is coming and it will have a wild ride much like 2.0. There will be booms and busts but it is early and its more like 1997 than 2000.

markm
03-24-22, 10:17
Burry I think is more at war with Catherine Wood and just likes to use his notoriety to tell people they are wrong. He is successful but has a lot of bad shorts like Tesla.

I get a kick out of those two.

I really think the Tesla short was correct fundamentally. In my humble opinion, Tesla share value is probably propped up by the same shallow morons who buy the stupid car. Pathetic losers who get their weak egos supported by bragging to their imbecile friends about owning Tesla shares.

So the value is real... but for how long? Musk is a bit of an circus act.

ddbtoth
03-24-22, 11:18
I've invested 90% of an inheritance in VTSAX and VBTLX, for an AA of 60/40 stocks bonds- holding out for the final 10% with stocks- I have faith in the idiots in Washington- starts of wars drive down markets, then they go up MIC feeds on federal money! Shouldn't be timing the markets - but it is only 10%, and I DCA'ed from a 115 price per share down to a 102, for an average of 108, so I am waiting on a 10-15 Black swan drop for the rest of it. Have enough liquidity to ride after tax cash and a pension for 8-9 years easily, so even though I'm retiring in a bit, I'm not depending on the markets now.

The_War_Wagon
03-24-22, 11:19
Fractional gold & junk silver!!! None of that paper ETF crapola!

https://i.ibb.co/rfHh280/popcorn-fart.jpg

thepatriot2705
03-24-22, 17:49
Spy options. But I made a bet two weeks ago that the market would tank. Been up ever since then. Seriously inverse my trades and you will have trillions

markm
03-25-22, 09:15
Spy options. But I made a bet two weeks ago that the market would tank. Been up ever since then. Seriously inverse my trades and you will have trillions

LOL! That's what I said about this guy who used to be in my office. Sold me on WATT stock after weeks of touting it. I'm down like 50%.

If I took the opposite position of all of his advice, I'd be good.

gsd2053
03-25-22, 18:19
Buy now. If the market drops more, Buy more. If it drops more Buy more.

I could go on. But I think you get the picture.

Be prepared to be down at times in the market. When your down. Just in case you missed it. That's a good time to buy more. Be prepared to to hold for 5 to 10 years at least. It's not a get rich fast thing. But anything can happen.

markm
03-25-22, 20:40
Buy now. If the market drops more, Buy more. If it drops more Buy more.

That's my approach... a little dollar cost averaging.

I wish I was paying attention to investing when the Corona virus was released. Could have made a lot of money in a year. Ford stock was under $5.

JediGuy
03-25-22, 20:59
I wish I was paying attention to investing when the Corona virus was released. Could have made a lot of money in a year.

I wish I’d done more. Knew enough to sell an unused car and buy in to gain a decent amount. Not bragging at all…I lost it all 10 months later.

Ron3
03-26-22, 07:50

I reccomend no kids, no divorce. No regrets.

TehLlama
03-26-22, 09:00

I'd argue this is the same kind of thing on how we're misusing Joe Biden for foreign policy. Optimal implementation would be to make him a committee member, have a couple of throwaway votes before him, have him decide what direction to go, then go the exact opposite direction.

Being wrong every time is actually a tremendously valuable and rare thing (and statistically impossible if not just tremendously unlikely).

AKDoug
03-27-22, 01:09
I reccomend no kids, no divorce. No regrets.

We all have our own paths. Yours sounds lonely to me. Mine sounds expensive to you. I wouldn't change my path for anything, no regrets either, and I'm still looking forward to the rest of it. Having a wife and kids that love you is priceless.

markm
03-30-22, 09:51
https://i.imgur.com/plFPcSu.png

Adrenaline_6
03-30-22, 11:48
https://i.imgur.com/plFPcSu.png

On the hourly, it looks pretty good. Above the 200, Above the 9. RSI says overbought though. Will swing back soon. If you got in earlier...great...too late now.

markm
03-30-22, 11:56
Will swing back soon.

Yep. Always does. I need it to swing back. I have a lot more to buy. I get SO tempted to unload and repurchase my position on these short, good news upticks. But that's getting into foolish territory.

markm
04-07-22, 09:56
An article came out today naming CIDM one of a handful of potential companies that AMC might look to buy up since competing with streaming may prove to be a challenge. Anyone ever held a shares in a company that got gobbled up? Is it wise to sell in the initial frenzy if it spikes up?

duece71
04-07-22, 12:48
An article came out today naming CIDM one of a handful of potential companies that AMC might look to buy up since competing with streaming may prove to be a challenge. Anyone ever held a shares in a company that got gobbled up? Is it wise to sell in the initial frenzy if it spikes up?

Yes, I owned XTO energy when it got snapped up by ExxonMobil. There was a transfer “rate” and I got 88 shares of EM for my 100 XTO shares. Still wish I owned EM, had to sell due to divorce.

markm
04-27-22, 09:37
Market is back to correction level. Self fulfilling prophesy.... engage!

Whiskey_Bravo
04-27-22, 11:05
My taxable portfolio is fairly boring. VOO, QQQ, and SCHD are my permanent index funds that I add to on a regular basis. Then I usually have a few other individual stocks I play around with. Bought heavy into XOM back in March of 2020 which has worked out well for me.