PDA

View Full Version : Double action pistol shot anticipation

TomMcC
03-20-22, 12:48
Bought a Beretta PX4 to try something different. Not many guns on the Ca. roster that interest me. Anyway, I tried it at a 3gun yesterday and boy did I have trouble with that first double action shot. My dry firing seemed OK, but when I went hot, I was getting this huge dip in my shot. I think some of it is me anticipating that first shot and breaking my firm lock out, sort of like a giant flinch.. Any tips or insight into what I can do to keep that first DA shot on target?

anachronism
03-20-22, 15:23
Do you have a DA revolver that you can shoot DA, side by side with the Beretta? Sometimes this helps shooters transition to a DA semi-auto.

G woody
03-20-22, 15:30
I've had a FNP9mm for years. It's an utter reliable handgun, but that first double action shot is a bitch. IN competition I've considered thumb cocking for the first shot, but in some circles THAT is A no no !!

TomMcC
03-20-22, 16:01
Do you have a DA revolver that you can shoot DA, side by side with the Beretta? Sometimes this helps shooters transition to a DA semi-auto.

I do have a Smith model 13 3". I'll try that.

TomMcC
03-20-22, 16:04
I've had a FNP9mm for years. It's an utter reliable handgun, but that first double action shot is a bitch. IN competition I've considered thumb cocking for the first shot, but in some circles THAT is A no no !!

Funny you should mention that. I was talking to a co-shooter on the last stage, a retired cop, and he mentioned trying that very thing. He said some cops he worked with would do it. I did it on the last stage, just so I wouldn't throw the shot into the dirt.

m1a_scoutguy
03-20-22, 22:42
I hear ya, I have a CZ P-07, and even though it has the Cajun trigger upgrades that 1st shot is "different" for sure. The best way is just practice, practice, and then practice some more. I would do 20+ draws from holster/concealment etc and just fire that 1st shot, decock reholster and go again. I would typically do it 1st thing on range/training trips and then do it again @ the end of the session. I start @ 3yrds and then move back as I go. Also, do NOT try and stage the trigger/shot, pull through every time, you will get the hang of it. I have watched multiple vids from Ernest Langdon and that is what he recommended so that's what I started doing years ago after watching his vids. It can be tough but if ya stick with it you will get better & more confident, keep at it! :)

mark5pt56
03-21-22, 06:03
Some terminology to help and actually repeat as you do it. Also, start slow and work until the wheels come off the road. In other words-how fast can I go around the corner? Learn how to apply the pressure needed to squeeze the trigger smoothly to where there's no "pop" think of a clutch.

Double Action-front sight, smooth trigger press with the mindset that that press will go on until the end of time. In time, you will know the breaking point to work the gun more efficiently.

Single Action, sight, slack, squeeze

I'll throw in here sight management-target size and distance dependent-how accurate do I need to be. Your practice should contain accuracy fundamentals and drills to allow sight management

rm06
03-21-22, 06:56
I'll add that you can invest some time in Ernest Langdon's older YouTube videos where he discusses trigger prep for the double action shot. There are also several posted by students that are not on his channel, hopefully they will appear as suggestions after you watch a few of his. It is time well spent if you are learning DA/SA.

T2C
03-21-22, 07:20
For starters, dry fire in the double action mode only. Dry fire, de-cock, dry fire, de-cock, repeat. Place a dime on top of the slide behind the front sight and practice until you can dry fire 10 times without the dime moving. Do this both with both the right hand and left hand.

Most people I've trained on DA/SA pistols position the trigger finger, on the face of the trigger, on or near the first distal joint for better trigger control.

I carried the S&W 39, 439, 459, 5904 and 6904 as a service pistol for decades. I also shot all of them competitively. Without practice, the first shot hits low and left, for a right-handed person. It takes a while to master the first shot.

03-21-22, 08:14
Bought a Beretta PX4 to try something different. Not many guns on the Ca. roster that interest me. Anyway, I tried it at a 3gun yesterday and boy did I have trouble with that first double action shot. My dry firing seemed OK, but when I went hot, I was getting this huge dip in my shot. I think some of it is me anticipating that first shot and breaking my firm lock out, sort of like a giant flinch.. Any tips or insight into what I can do to keep that first DA shot on target?

I noticed with the PX4, sometimes there was an odd stacking that helped me drop the first shot into the B zone. Lots of dry fire helps, like anytime you’re watching TV. I believe LTT polishes the spring ends to help with the stacking. Greasing the end might help.

I’d recommend dry firing in double action a ton, and watch Langdon’s “Fear Not the Double Action Shot”. Maybe consider buying a spring or TJIAB from LTT. Also, I started and finished most live practice sessions with TDA Dot Torture when I was shooting Berettas.

Cool thing about TDA, you can just click, click, click away all evening without touching the slide or hammer.

TomMcC
03-21-22, 12:48
Thanks guys. I do have a Langdon trigger bar and hammer spring in the gun. After watching Langdon and LV I think I might be pulling through the trigger too fast. I'm trying to more fully understand the "roll" they speak of. I also really need to dry fire the thing a lot in DA as you have suggested.

One More Time
03-22-22, 10:23
Getting the DA shot off takes a bit of practice.
Heavy DA pulls don't help with that.

The majority of my handguns are DA/SA and I spend the most time dry firing DA with a foam plug under the hammer.
Not so much as to decrease wear but to quiet it down a bit.

I have mine down to a smooth 6.5# DA pull.
One started at over 12 lbs and getting a decent shot off was not happening for me.

Before I got a red dot I used a laser but that's a battery eater.
The wall test is easy and battery free.
With the muzzle close to a white wall pull the shots and watch the front sight.
You will easily see if you are pulling the shot off.
Keep working it till it doesn't move trying different grip etc.
Just pull it start to finish, no pre staging the trigger or jerking it. Sorta like a striker fired gun.

Red dots make it easy to see what's going on.

Ron3
03-23-22, 08:04
...and get as much finger past the trigger as it naturally wants to. Let your finger slide across the face of the trigger while you pull straight back. Dont try to hook it.

Keep the pull steady, dont jerk, dont stage. That's the "roll".

Backfire
03-23-22, 09:37
Took a class with a beretta 92, worst class ever. I am now a striker guy. .ay of been better if the safety was in a better spot, just did not work with me.

bp7178
03-23-22, 11:15

Dry fire practice.