PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun for home defense

miss debbie
12-17-08, 13:11
Hi everyone I need recommendation on a shotgun the 2 that I am considering are the Benelli supernova and the Saiga 12. I know that they are two different guns one is pump and the other is seni-auto, someone at the gun store on the Saiga of you leave shells in clip they will warp is there any truth to this? Gun will be used for home defense thanks.

CobraBG
12-17-08, 18:11
Of the choices you mentioned I would get the Benelli. A good reliable 12 ga. pump is always ready and easy to use. Benelli makes good stuff. I have their M1 Super 90 semi auto and like it a lot. I don't know about the shells warping in the Saiga magazine, never heard of that happening.

Jay Cunningham
12-17-08, 18:20
Hi everyone I need recommendation on a shotgun the 2 that I am considering are the Benelli supernova and the Saiga 12. I know that they are two different guns one is pump and the other is seni-auto, someone at the gun store on the Saiga of you leave shells in clip they will warp is there any truth to this? Gun will be used for home defense thanks.

You may find this interesting reading:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23296

Then again, you may not. ;)

TOrrock
12-17-08, 18:33
I've had a SAIGA in the past and let it go. It is true that if the magazines are fully loaded the top round will tend to deform against the underside of the bolt carrier.

Of the two you listed, I'd go with the Benelli NOVA, but if you do so, I'd also suggest getting a recoil reducer that fits in the buttstock. Benelli NOVA's are great pump shotguns, and light weight, but they do tend to have more felt recoil.

I don't know how tall you are or how long your arms are, but I found that a lot of women had a much easier time with a Remington 870 with a ladies/youth/compact buttstock on the gun, or a Winchester 1300 Ladies/Youth.

The Winchester actually has a shorter throw to the forend, making it easier to use for people with shorter arms.

Hope that helps.

C-Fish
12-17-08, 21:12

A good pump is my recommendation.

Remington 870
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1300

The Saiga is cool, (and shells will deform if mags are fully loaded) but in my personal experience the felt recoil was much harsher than those I listed above...

Hope that helps

DarrinD
12-20-08, 11:47
Of what you listed, I'd choose the Benelli.

However, I'd prefer the Benelli M1.

For pumps, I'd prefer the Mossberg 590A1, or Remington 870.

Cold Zero
12-20-08, 11:53
Of what you listed, I would get the Benelli. That being said, I would prefer a Remington 870P.

zippygaloo
12-20-08, 12:13
delete

photo2u
12-29-08, 02:27
Winchester super x mkI works for me.

Benelli m1 also works well.

George

miss debbie
01-15-09, 09:57
Thanks for replys the shotgun wasn't for my it was going to be a gift for my husband I am only 4ft 9 in:( so I ended up getting him a Benelli supernova. The Katar thanks for link a girl friend of mine took a CHL class and her instructor told her the same thing rack the shot gun back and the bad guys will piss there self in fear and leave.

RWK
01-15-09, 21:46
...a girl friend of mine took a CHL class and her instructor told her the same thing rack the shot gun back and the bad guys will piss there self in fear and leave.

Please ask her to go back and punch that knucklehead in the stomach for me.

SeriousStudent
01-15-09, 21:55
Please ask her to go back and punch that knucklehead in the stomach for me.

Why be that nice?

When you kick them in the junk, the lesson stays with them longer.

miss debbie
01-16-09, 21:22
Why be that nice?

When you kick them in the junk, the lesson stays with them longer.

Ok will tell her :D

iceman0085
07-03-09, 12:54
That's an very interesting thread. I am also intersted in buying soon an shotgun for home defense. I am already the owner of an shotgun, but it's only an single shotgun in 28 gauge and this caliber is not very suitable for sd. I think I will buy soon an baikal coach gun in 12 gauge. I know it would be better to buy an semi auto or an pump action shotgun, but they are too expensive for my budget at the moment.

on topic I am not realy an Shotgun expert but I would recomend the saiga, because it has the greater firepower.

Greetings from Austria

Dan Goodwin
07-03-09, 22:08
While I believe one should have an immediate action followup plan, if the sound of your pumpgun being racked doesn't work, the fact is it's an auditory clue that has and continues to work.

1. Saw it myself on duty. Responding to a burglar alarm at a business and found several illegal aliens on site who didn't respond when I yelled Manos Arriba! I then repeated the phrase while racking my personal Mossberg 12 ga. (this was long before we issued shotguns) and got INSTANT compliance.

2. Just yesterday while dining with the familia, my daughter's boyfriend said they'd had a suspect trying to jimmy their backdoor one night and his dad racked the pump on their old 12 ga. and they heard the suspect rapidly unassing the AO. I have no reason to doubt his veracity...

If it doesn't work then squeeze, pump, squeeze, pump, etc.

As for the original question: get an 870P and shoot it a lot.

photo2u
07-03-09, 22:28
While I believe one should have an immediate action followup plan, if the sound of your pumpgun being racked doesn't work, the fact is it's an auditory clue that has and continues to work.

1. Saw it myself on duty. Responding to a burglar alarm at a business and found several illegal aliens on site who didn't respond when I yelled Manos Arriba! I then repeated the phrase while racking my personal Mossberg 12 ga. (this was long before we issued shotguns) and got INSTANT compliance.

2. Just yesterday while dining with the familia, my daughter's boyfriend said they'd had a suspect trying to jimmy their backdoor one night and his dad racked the pump on their old 12 ga. and they heard the suspect rapidly unassing the AO. I have no reason to doubt his veracity...

If it doesn't work then squeeze, pump, squeeze, pump, etc.

As for the original question: get an 870P and shoot it a lot.

Did you know check their legal status before you said Manos arriba? I take it that were from Spain?

Amigo, Your lack of respect for people is in question.

George

Glock17JHP
07-11-09, 11:03
Did you know check their legal status before you said Manos arriba? I take it that were from Spain?

George

Huh??? Legal status???

'Manos arriba' is like... 'hands up'...

You would advise letting them reach in their pockets for I.D. or 'whatever else' they might have first??? I say tell them to get on the ground, spread-eagle, palms facing up... then ask about their staus, maybe...

Dan Goodwin
07-13-09, 20:37

George

Nope, from somewhere south of El Paso Del Norte with NO BUSINESS BEING HERE!

Scrotes are scrotes, but ones who can't speak Ingles are muy malo scrotes.

Being in this country illegally is prima facie evidence of scrotehood.

Don't worry, dude, we're so far down the road to amnesty it es muy stupido.

Thass why your state is going tits up...hope an illegal doesn't kill your familia _ or mine.

photo2u
07-13-09, 22:58
Nope, from somewhere south of El Paso Del Norte with NO BUSINESS BEING HERE!

Scrotes are scrotes, but ones who can't speak Ingles are muy malo scrotes.

Being in this country illegally is prima facie evidence of scrotehood.

Don't worry, dude, we're so far down the road to amnesty it es muy stupido.

Thass why your state is going tits up...hope an illegal doesn't kill your familia _ or mine.

Are you a peace officer?

Did you know that most killings in this country are not done by Mexicans?

For the record I am part German, Californian and Yaqui Native American.

I read and write German and Spanish fluently.

Some of the words you using, I do not understand.

In fact, I truly do not want to know what they mean.

I am not defending any one. I just see how uninformed some people can be.

I went to school in South Carolina in an athletic scholarship.

I have seen hate from fellow teammates from Clemson.

Finally, your concerns about my family are outside the scope of your interest.

I live in Claremont California. I do not have problems in this city.

In fact, in 2007, Claremont was considered the 5th most desirable city to live in

America by Money Magazine.

This is a treat about home defense shotguns remember?

Last post in this treat for me!
George from Pasadena/Claremont

SteyrAUG
07-14-09, 01:19
Benelli Nova, I'm also fond of the Remington 870.

For autos you definitely want to look at the Benelli M2 (they no longer make the M1S90), and the Remington 11/87 is also decent.

Glock17JHP
07-14-09, 13:44
Don't flame me...

I have owned (and fired extensively) about 6 Remington 870's (5 were 870P's), a 10-shot 'custom' Remington 1100, a Stevens 'side-by-side', several NEF 'single-shot' 12 gauges (and a 10 gauge), 2 Mossbergs (one was a 'pistol-grip' model, the other was a 590 w/ heat shield, bayonet lug, etc.), and a few others. My current shotgun is my favorite, however...

Winchester Defender 8-shot synthetic/matte finish...

Hey, it has worked very well for me for about 8-10 years now... smooth action, and always reliable...

Dan Goodwin
07-14-09, 19:45
Are you a peace officer?

Did you know that most killings in this country are not done by Mexicans?

For the record I am part German, Californian and Yaqui Native American.

I read and write German and Spanish fluently.

Some of the words you using, I do not understand.

In fact, I truly do not want to know what they mean.

I am not defending any one. I just see how uninformed some people can be.

I went to school in South Carolina in an athletic scholarship.

I have seen hate from fellow teammates from Clemson.

Finally, your concerns about my family are outside the scope of your interest.

I live in Claremont California. I do not have problems in this city.

In fact, in 2007, Claremont was considered the 5th most desirable city to live in

America by Money Magazine.

This is a treat about home defense shotguns remember?

Last post in this treat for me!
George from Pasadena/Claremont

Sure you're not John From Cincinnati?:rolleyes:

I assume by Californian you refer to your Spanish ancestors who first brought the white man's burden upon the descendants of those who crossed the land bridge between Asia and North America.

In fact, California and now the rest of the United State of America, of which I believe Claremont is (at least on paper) a subdivision, are going down the financial tubes due to illegal aliens receiving social services.

It's not Americans of Hispanic descent causing the problems, friendo.

Now it's happening to the rest of the country! Thanks for leading the way as usual Cali!

In fact, this WAS a THREAD about shotguns, but you chose to try browbeating me into complying with your sense of social/political correctness.

In fact, if you're offended by my heartwarming tale of shotgun jackery, too bad. I'm an American citizen descended from Jamestown settlers whose descendants have fought in every war this nation offered.

In fact, thanks to inalienable rights derived from the Christian God, I will say what I wish.

P.S. I know who Roy Benavidez was and remember him getting the MOH; was in the service myself the day it happened. He was a great AMERICAN.

Please read the signature line.

Glock17JHP
07-15-09, 13:24
Your post was off topic, but I agree, sir!!!