PDA

View Full Version : CZ Scorpion EVO 3 worth it?

TacticalSpeed
03-21-22, 17:34
Looking hard at buying one. Are they worth the money? How bad, if at all, is the trigger really?

Other comparable pistols I should consider?

Defaultmp3
03-21-22, 17:48
Maybe the Grand Power Stribog? Though the aftermarket there is going to much more limited. The CZ Evo's strength IMO is that it's lower cost, quite reliable functionality (some of the mags can be a bit finicky I've heard, though I've not had any problems with my OEM translucents and Magpul PMAGs that I can think of off the top of my head), and good aftermarket. It does have a noticeable recoil for a PCC, due to being straight blowback and having such a large BCG, compared to something like an MPX or APC9.

TacticalSpeed
03-21-22, 17:54
Maybe the Grand Power Stribog? Though the aftermarket there is going to much more limited. The CZ Evo's strength IMO is that it's lower cost, quite reliable functionality (some of the mags can be a bit finicky I've heard, though I've not had any problems with my OEM translucents and Magpul PMAGs that I can think of off the top of my head), and good aftermarket. It does have a noticeable recoil for a PCC, due to being straight blowback and having such a large BCG, compared to something like an MPX or APC9.

HOw does the recoil compare to a blowback 7" or 8" barrel AR-9 pistol?

Inkslinger
03-21-22, 18:12
Looking hard at buying one. Are they worth the money? How bad, if at all, is the trigger really?

Other comparable pistols I should consider?

I’ve been happy with mine. It didn’t like the pmags. I use the cz gen2 mags now and it’s been much better. The stock trigger is heavy, but adding a HBI reduced weight trigger spring and their forward set trigger is a huge improvement and cheap.

Circle_10
03-21-22, 18:28
They are really cool little guns and surprisingly accurate when used with a stock or brace. Without either of those things though they are utterly useless. The factory trigger is not good however HB Industries sells a cheap trigger spring kit that improves it somewhat.

Biggest flaw in my opinion is that the semi-auto scorpion lacks the safety sear present in the select fire SMG variant, because the ATF determined the sear to be a “machine gun part”. As a result, if a scorp’s firing pin block fails the gun can have a catastrophic OBD. So it’s important to check the function of your firing pin block periodically.

I bought one a while back but it’s kind of on the short list of stuff I’m probably going to try and sell eventually. I like it but I’m having trouble determining what practical purpose it serves in my collection and I want to try and trim the number of superfluous guns I have kicking around.

TacticalSpeed
03-21-22, 18:47
They are really cool little guns and surprisingly accurate when used with a stock or brace. Without either of those things though they are utterly useless. The factory trigger is not good however HB Industries sells a cheap trigger spring kit that improves it somewhat.

Biggest flaw in my opinion is that the semi-auto scorpion lacks the safety sear present in the select fire SMG variant, because the ATF determined the sear to be a “machine gun part”. As a result, if a scorp’s firing pin block fails the gun can have a catastrophic OBD. So it’s important to check the function of your firing pin block periodically.

I bought one a while back but it’s kind of on the short list of stuff I’m probably going to try and sell eventually. I like it but I’m having trouble determining what practical purpose it serves in my collection and I want to try and trim the number of superfluous guns I have kicking around.

What braces do you recommend? Looking to keep it legal in PA without a tax stamp

Pappabear
03-21-22, 18:59
The one I shot was comparable to other PCC's in the same price range. Reliable and pretty cool for the $.

PB

Circle_10
03-21-22, 19:03
What braces do you recommend? Looking to keep it legal in PA without a tax stamp

I borrowed one for a while since I wasn’t sure how much more money I wanted to dump into the gun, it was the one from SB Tactical that looked like a B&T folding stock.
If I were to buy a brace now it would probably be the new one from SB Tactical that mimics the lines of the factory CZ stock. I think it’s the SBT EVOG2

TacticalSpeed
03-21-22, 19:20
I borrowed one for a while since I wasn’t sure how much more money I wanted to dump into the gun, it was the one from SB Tactical that looked like a B&T folding stock.
If I were to buy a brace now it would probably be the new one from SB Tactical that mimics the lines of the factory CZ stock. I think it’s the SBT EVOG2

Out of stock everywhere...of course!

Inkslinger
03-21-22, 19:24
Out of stock everywhere...of course!

Here’s one.

https://blackwolfsupply.com/product/sb-tactical-sbtevo-g2-pistol-side-folding-brace-black-evo2-01-sb/

I might give one a try. It looks a little more robust than the folding brace I have.

kwelz
03-21-22, 23:17
Define worth it?

I had one that I put a lot of money into. HBI rail, new springs, trigger, etc. Custom Cerakote job and about 30 mags. Shot the hell out of it. But I turned around and sold it a couple months back after I got a Sig MPX. I found myself having no interest in the Evo after that. But I tend to not keep guns I don't plan to shoot. So take that for what it is worth.

The Evo shoots well, is comfortable, and collapses down to fairly easy stowage. Mags are inexpensive and you can do a lot of upgrades to them for not a lot of money.

Biggest downside is that some of them have had rounds go off out of battery. As far as I have been able to tell it is possible to outrun the gun and cause it to happen.

TLDR: They are good guns with lots of options. They are not the best choice for every situation but you probably wouldn't regret getting one.

RHINOWSO
03-22-22, 07:11
For me it is, in order to scratch the 9MM PDW style weapon. I have a brace on mine, the original SBT version for the Evo. Sure there are better but typically more expensive options (MPX / B&T / etc) but for the $600-ish price at the time I bought it, the Evo does what I want it to.

TacticalSpeed
03-22-22, 09:26
Here’s one.

https://blackwolfsupply.com/product/sb-tactical-sbtevo-g2-pistol-side-folding-brace-black-evo2-01-sb/

I might give one a try. It looks a little more robust than the folding brace I have.

THanks

TacticalSpeed
03-22-22, 16:10
Bought one. Now to find the brace etc

03-23-22, 17:20
Bought one. Now to find the brace etc
Congrats on the CZ Scorpion! It is a fun and reliable gun.
If you are interested, I just posted a Brace for sale in the marketplace section.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=11029&share_tid=234951&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Em4carbine%2Enet%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D234951&share_type=t&link_source=app

TacticalSpeed
03-23-22, 17:24
She's home

TacticalSpeed
03-23-22, 17:25
Congrats on the CZ Scorpion! It is a fun and reliable gun.
If you are interested, I just posted a Brace for sale in the marketplace section.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=11029&share_tid=234951&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Em4carbine%2Enet%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D234951&share_type=t&link_source=app

Thanks, but ordered the same brace new for $100 last night

03-23-22, 17:28
Thanks, but ordered the same brace new for $100 last night

Sounds good!