PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix AZ police

Cagemonkey
12-17-08, 13:45
Saw a special on Fox news last night about Phoenix cops being out gunned and not issued M4 type rifles. Any of you locals know the scoop?

Iraqgunz
12-17-08, 16:37
I think I did hear something, but if I am not mistaken some type of program was being put in place. Not sure if the weapons were being provided or the officers had to provide them. I know that everyone is having budget issues but I would think that they could use that gov't grant program.

Wonder if the dept. would accept a donated gun.?

Saw a special on Fox news last night about Phoenix cops being out gunned and not issued M4 type rifles. Any of you locals know the scoop?

C-Fish
12-17-08, 21:22
I firmly believe that Phoenix PD should be allowed to arm themselves accordingly. Bring on the class 3.
If this means allowing officers to provide their own weapons...so be it...

Due to our "friends" just south of us, they are facing a bigger disadvantage here than in other states.

I know that they are now allowed to carry G21's as long as they qualify with them. I ran into a PHX PD in a local gun store who was purchasing a G21c for duty.

George02
12-17-08, 21:33
dont know why they are not issued? the Sheriff's office have AR's

azidpa
12-17-08, 23:51
I belive they made a recent $45k purchase for a bunch of Bushmasters.
This was a bout 4-5 weeks ago.

phoenix police ask for permission to carry own rifles (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/11/24/20081124policerifles1124.html)

did a little more follow up:

police department to get more rifles (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/10/02/20081002phx-rifles1002.html)

Iraqgunz
12-18-08, 01:46
I wonder why they purchased Shrubmasters when they could have contacted the DRMS and requested free surplus M16's under the 1033 program?

I belive they made a recent $45k purchase for a bunch of Bushasters.
This was a bout 4-5 weeks ago.

phoenix police ask for permission to carry own rifles (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/11/24/20081124policerifles1124.html)

did a little more follow up:

police department to get more rifles (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/10/02/20081002phx-rifles1002.html)

Iraqgunz
12-18-08, 02:31
Personally this sounds like a typical dept. or politically correct police bureaucrat trying to screw over officers. There are a few options available here.

1. Contact DRMS and enquire about the 1033 program.

2. Establish criteria to allow officers to purchase their own rifles. Whether it be an AR variant, M14, Mini 14, etc...

3. Training apparently isn't an issue as they already have a program in place. allow officers to purchase their own ammunition to conduct training and possibly for duty use as long as it is the exact same type issued or approved by the dept.

4. Screen officers and seek those that have a military background or other previous experience that would require less training and familiarization thereby getting the weapons on patrol faster.

lalakai
12-18-08, 09:00
Personally this sounds like a typical dept. or politically correct police bureaucrat trying to screw over officers.

have to agree that this is likely the primary reason; a CO who places political correctness and liability profile, over safety of duty officers.

Sheriff in our county gave permission for deputies to purchase M4's at LEO discount and carry in their private vehicle, allowing a more rapid response in critical situations; deputies that choose this option have to qualify with department and PO M4's, and PO M4's must meet department guidelines. Local police refused to even consider this option.:confused:

Iraqgunz
12-18-08, 09:12
Using "contact us" at the Phoenix PD website as well as the Phoenix Law Enforcement Officers Association I shared some of my thoughts and opinions with them. I will be very interested to see if they bother responding back to me.

have to agree that this is likely the primary reason; a CO who places political correctness and liability profile, over safety of duty officers.

Sheriff in our county gave permission for deputies to purchase M4's at LEO discount and carry in their private vehicle, allowing a more rapid response in critical situations; deputies that choose this option have to qualify with department and PO M4's, and PO M4's must meet department guidelines. Local police refused to even consider this option.:confused:

Saginaw79
12-18-08, 09:31
Im all for them having semi auto M4 types so dont thake this the wrong way but...

...I hear this 'outgunned' bit a lot from Police, usually followed by anti gun rhetoric courtesy of the Chief or other Brass.

Yet theres no proof they are outgunned except maybe by sheer numbers, as so called 'Assault Weapons' still havnt made the top ten crime gun list yet nor are they recovered more often than any other guns.

My whole time in LE i came across exactly 1 EBR used in a crime and I worked a high crime sector

markm
12-18-08, 10:24
dont know why they are not issued? the Sheriff's office have AR's

Deputies BUY all of their duty weapons.

markm
12-18-08, 10:27
The PHX PD rifle program has a little history behind it. Back at the beginning of the 94 AWB officers were buying AUG rifles with their PD Id, and selling them to civilians for profit.

This really hurt their rifle program for a long time after. I knew Phx PD guys who had AWB compliant ARs. :eek: I'd show up to train with them with my flash hider and bayo stud, and these poor bastards had emasculated weapons. It was sad.

g5m
12-18-08, 10:32
Deputies BUY all of their duty weapons.

Don't believe that's accurate. They're carting around US Gov't transferred M16's.

George02
12-18-08, 10:38
Don't believe that's accurate. They're carting around US Gov't transferred M16's.

def not true, my step father is a deputy and was issued a colt AR

markm
12-18-08, 10:39

I saw that the Rifle instructor had one of those DRMO 16s. I don't know how wide spread those are.

In fact, you're right. They do have an M16 locker out at the District 1 station. But for the most part, if you want to carry a patrol rifle you can buy your own.

g5m
12-18-08, 10:47
Not trying to be argumentative, it's just that I've seen some of those M16's that were obtained by Sheriff Joe.
It's nice that he has enough confidence in his deputies to trust them with automatic weapons.

And, I wouldn't doubt that they might be buying semis on their own or issued semis.

hatt
12-18-08, 10:58
Looks like another sensational, headline grabbing story with no foundation.

markm
12-18-08, 11:06
Not trying to be argumentative, it's just that I've seen some of those M16's that were obtained by Sheriff Joe.
It's nice that he has enough confidence in his deputies to trust them with automatic weapons.

And, I wouldn't doubt that they might be buying semis on their own or issued semis.

Not at all... you're right. I have seen them too. I just forgot about them, and didn't know how wide spread they were.

Iraqgunz
12-18-08, 14:32
I could be wrong. But, I think that the surplus M16's that MCSO has were neutered. At least that is what I heard from one of their guys.

azidpa
12-18-08, 15:09
I wonder why they purchased Shrubmasters when they could have contacted the DRMS and requested free surplus M16's under the 1033 program?

my guess is they were not aware of the program.

markm
12-18-08, 15:29
I could be wrong. But, I think that the surplus M16's that MCSO has were neutered. At least that is what I heard from one of their guys.

Could be. The one I saw wasn't, but they may have modified any patrol guns.

azidpa
12-22-08, 16:27
from david spade:

david spade donates $100k to buy rifles for dept. (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20248550,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines)

Iraqgunz
12-22-08, 16:45
Wow that is really awesome. Nice to see someone from Hollywood do something useful.

SeriousStudent
12-22-08, 17:09
That is interesting about Davis Spade. Good for him!

I'd add him to the pro-firearms list of actors, like Tom Selleck. It's always nice to vote with your wallet. ;)

BVickery
12-22-08, 19:33
That is interesting about Davis Spade. Good for him!

I'd add him to the pro-firearms list of actors, like Tom Selleck. It's always nice to vote with your wallet. ;)

As the saying goes, a Democrat is a Republican who has never been mugged. His assistant Skippy went psycho on him and began using a stun gun.

ZDL
12-22-08, 19:43
Good for Spade. But I do have to ask... Where did he get 100k?

SeriousStudent
12-22-08, 20:09
Probably the syndication money from "Just Shoot Me!" I think they did over 100 episodes, which is usually all you need.

ToddG
12-22-08, 21:04
david spade donates $100k to buy rifles for dept. (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20248550,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines)

Seriously?

Is he a gun guy or just being generous to those who need?

markm
12-23-08, 08:29
As the saying goes, a Democrat is a Republican who has never been mugged. His assistant Skippy went psycho on him and began using a stun gun.

He was a gun owner prior to the attack. Spade's fear was that the nut would get to the shotgun under his bed and use it against him. I heard this from Spade's mouth on a radio interview.

LegalAlien
12-23-08, 08:50
Seriously?

Is he a gun guy or just being generous to those who need?

I heard it on Fox News this morning as well!!! His response when interviewed was really totally laid back - he grew up in AZ and he thought they deserved it and it was 'no big deal' and did not expect so much publicity from it.

Good for him.

Sudden
12-23-08, 08:57
He's done stuff for the police before. Maybe it's all the good karma that gets Spade the supermodels. :)

http://www.policeone.com/news/1362400/

Henchman
12-23-08, 09:12
Wow that is really awesome. Nice to see someone from Hollywood do something useful.

That is outstanding! Finally another actor promoting an American cause as opposed to an Anti American cause.