PDA

View Full Version : FYI P365XL RDS Install Issue

Mr_Happy1
03-22-22, 23:31
I just wanted to share my experience with you all about the issue I had trying to install a 507k on my pistol. I purchased the pistol about a year ago and finally got around to buying the 507 last month. When I went to install it, I could not remove the cover plate. I tried multiple sizes and types of tools nothing worked. I then did a search and found out they red loctite the screws and you have to heat them, or the plate. Not having the necessary tools I called Sig. They told me to dunk the back part of my slide in boiling water for about 30 seconds then immediately try and remove the screws. As this is a pistol I constantly carry, I did not find that option appealing. After multiple times back and forth, not really arguing but mutually disagreeing, I was told I could send my slide in to have the plate removed, but that I would have to come with $27 up front. Of course I immediately paid and received the RMA later that day. My slide went out that same day.

The issue to me is the CS Rep immediately knew what the problem was, and he repeatedly told me to either take care of it myself, or take it to a local gunsmith. Eventually he relented and then brought up the $27, as if that would matter after having already spent about 1k on the pistol and the sight. Frankly I was shocked it was so difficult to send it back to fix an issue they intentionally created.

Hush
03-23-22, 01:38
That does sound frustrating. Just so I'm tracking, you said in your post you didn't have the necessary tools, they gave you a solution that you didn't like because it involved dunking the back of the slide in boiling water, and you're frustrated now that you have to send it back for them to do the job? I wouldn't want to do that either, what tools are you lacking? Would a soldering iron to the screw help loosen the loctite? What does the manual suggest?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

signal4l
03-23-22, 08:23
I had the same problem with mine and had to send the slide back to Sig. Fairly common problem. Sig needs to use a different type of adhesive on those screws. I have all the right tools. Applied heat to screws. Still managed to strip one of them out.

georgeib
03-23-22, 09:51
I do remember mine being a bit of a pain, but I was able to get the plate off with just the hex key, and without having to use heat or anything. I imagine if the OP sends it back to Sig, they will simply put the back end of the slide in hot water as they suggested to him, so if it were me, that's what I would try first. Guns aren't going to melt when they get wet, nothing to worry about.

Mr_Happy1
03-23-22, 12:31
The CS Rep suggested using a torch to heat the plate, or a soldering iron to heat the screws. I have a wood burner, and I tried to use it to heat the screws it didn't work. When I asked if they dunked the slide in boiling water, the CS Rep sounded irritated and said "no" that they used a torch to heat the plate. He also said they had a "special tool" to remove the plate. He also alluded to drilling the screws, but I do not have the necessary tools or skills.
Honestly, if I was in a hurry I would have dunked it into the water, but I am not in a hurry, and I knew that submerging the slide in water would bother me, as I would want to completely disassemble it and make sure it is dried and oiled. I didn't want to go through the effort, and I have time to wait for the turn around.
I was put off by the fact that I basically had to argue with the Rep to have them fix the issue, even though it would be done on my own dime. I never argued or disagreed to pay. I told him I just wanted it done right.

WickedWillis
03-23-22, 13:04
I do remember mine being a bit of a pain, but I was able to get the plate off with just the hex key, and without having to use heat or anything. I imagine if the OP sends it back to Sig, they will simply put the back end of the slide in hot water as they suggested to him, so if it were me, that's what I would try first. Guns aren't going to melt when they get wet, nothing to worry about.

Same with mine. I remember it being fairly easy to remove, I must have just got really lucky the way it sounds.

kerplode
03-23-22, 14:28
Seems slightly crazy to me that they'd use such a strong thread locker.

But I suppose if they used something substantially weaker, then customers would complain that the plate and rear sight worked loose or fell off. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hopefully they get it back to you quickly.

mpom
03-23-22, 18:47
Just mounted 2 407Ks on a pair of P365XLs. Was very easy to remove the OEM plate bolts w a 2mm Allen wrench. Maybe they have changed thread lockers since the OPs P365 was manufactured?

One More Time
03-23-22, 19:03
It's not "red" loctite.
But it is colored redish.
It's like Vibra-tite, they use it on grip screws as well.

I had a 365XL a couple of years ago that had that on the plate screws.
Went through quite a few sets of metric and standard hex keys till I found one that fit well.
The hex socket is pretty shallow and wont take much to bugger.

Mine came out without heating.
I put the key in a set of vice grips so I could push down hard while turning it out.

Mr_Happy1
03-25-22, 01:04
UPDATE

I received my slide back today, exactly one week from when it was sent. I installed the sight and a Wilson Combat XL grip module with the weights. I hope to sight it in on Saturday.

Pappabear
03-25-22, 19:15
I just ordered a 507 for my 365, I hope I dont have this PITA. I do have a torch and do have boiling water. So I should be good, but time will tell.

PB

One More Time
03-25-22, 19:23
This is what's on there.
https://i.imgur.com/SHqGEPgl.jpg

There are torx and hex screws out there, I had to use a magnifying glass to be sure.

mpom
03-25-22, 19:43
I just ordered a 507 for my 365, I hope I dont have this PITA. I do have a torch and do have boiling water. So I should be good, but time will tell.

PB

Getting the OEM rear sight and plate is easy, just use the correct Allen wrench, 2mm.
Hope you got the K version of the 507, not the "507" but "507K".
Plain 507 is too large to fit on the compact size pistols, such as the 365.

Pappabear
03-30-22, 18:20
If your one of the guys that bought his 365 with Sig shitty RDS on it, then you only have to remove sight and pop on the 507. Super easy peeezy

edit update; shot my 365 with new 507k, I really like the new optic.

PB