PDA

View Full Version : BCM vs. SOLGW BCG

Cane55
03-25-22, 01:46
Now that BCM BCG’s & SOLGW’s BCG’s are both available again (as of right now) I was curious what you guys think is better & which one you prefer (since they are about the same price). I know they are both top quality BCG’s and their quality are probably around the same but wanted to know which you guys prefer if you had the choice etc. Thanks.

prepare
03-25-22, 03:42
Personally I like the SOLGW. Why? Mostly because Mike has been so transparent about the materials, they gauge out really good, and they use the Sprinco extra power extractor spring.
Both are excellent though and you can't go wrong with either one.

Steve-0-
03-25-22, 04:30
Both are fine. I dont even know why this needs to be asked.

markm
03-25-22, 09:11
It's about time we have a BCG thread here.

Inkslinger
03-25-22, 09:13

I wonder what lubricant would work best on them?

Dutch110
03-25-22, 09:15
Wait for it. Wait for it. Someone is going to come along and tell you they both suck and go buy a Colt.

SOLGW
03-25-22, 09:25
Now that BCM BCG’s & SOLGW’s BCG’s are both available again (as of right now) I was curious what you guys think is better & which one you prefer (since they are about the same price). I know they are both top quality BCG’s and their quality are probably around the same but wanted to know which you guys prefer if you had the choice etc. Thanks.Text me your address. I'll send you one to try.

Lmk what you think.

2104005992 is my cell.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

markm
03-25-22, 09:34

You know.... I wonder that myself.

markm
03-25-22, 09:35
Text me your address. I'll send you one to try.

40 dudes are texting you right now! LOL.

Dutch110
03-25-22, 09:43

Lmk what you think.

2104005992 is my cell.

Mike

I think your BCGs AND your rifles all suck. You should send me a few to prove me wrong :D

Nice move. I dig it.

Inkslinger
03-25-22, 09:46
Maybe you should just give one to everyone who comments on this thread by 11:00est. [emoji848]That was very nice of you by the way!

mRad
03-25-22, 10:25
Wow, talk about wanting to earn business. [emoji1689]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Rico
03-25-22, 10:48
They both suck. Go buy a Colt.

:sarcastic:

prepare
03-25-22, 10:53

Lmk what you think.

2104005992 is my cell.

Mike

That’s really cool Mike!

Especially on this platform!

SOLGW
03-25-22, 11:10
Wow, talk about wanting to earn business. [emoji1689]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWe're fully committed for the next 40 months, at least, through retailers, distributors, and contracts. We're definitely not hurting for business... but I'm happy to introduce people to the brand where I can.

And, I want to be more active on M4C. I legitimately think this is probably one of the best online resources for info and interaction.

Btw...thats my cell number. If I can ever be of service to any members here feel free to reach out.

Mike

HCrum87hc
03-25-22, 11:25
Typical Mike Mihalski customer service. I've seen it time and time again here and elsewhere. While both SOLGW and BCM makes great products, THAT is the reason I pick SOLGW over BCM.

mojobiker
03-25-22, 11:40
Just found out where my next rifle, upper, or BCG will be coming from. Thanks Mike. If my wife calls you, please hang up and block her number. Thanks.

Swstock
03-25-22, 11:40

Lmk what you think.

2104005992 is my cell.

Mike

Guess this debate is settled. Lol

mRad
03-25-22, 11:50
We're fully committed for the next 40 months, at least, through retailers, distributors, and contracts. We're definitely not hurting for business... but I'm happy to introduce people to the brand where I can.

And, I want to be more active on M4C. I legitimately think this is probably one of the best online resources for info and interaction.

Btw...thats my cell number. If I can ever be of service to any members here feel free to reach out.

Mike

Very much appreciated. Having a resource here, I’ll give you guys a strong look next time I buy a rifle or need parts. Thanks!

Hank6046
03-25-22, 11:52
I think your BCGs AND your rifles all suck. You should send me a few to prove me wrong :D

Damnit, too late to the conversation to say this, nicely done:laugh:

Dutch110
03-25-22, 11:58
Damnit, too late to the conversation to say this, nicely done:laugh:

It was worth a try. :D I love their stuff. Very well made.

Exiledviking
03-25-22, 14:38

Lmk what you think.

2104005992 is my cell.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G973U using TapatalkClass act!
I'll definitely shop SOLGW next time I go looking for parts.
Just checked out your website for a new barrel and gas block.

WillieThom
03-25-22, 14:58
Wait for it. Wait for it. Someone is going to come along and tell you they both suck and go buy a Colt.

I haven’t seen that guy post in a hot minute. Forget his name… I feel like he got blasted pretty hard in a thread somewhat recently and hasn’t been seen since…

Someone knows the guy of whom I speak… the goober who says he has a closet full of colts… buying up all the old school 6920s for $800-$1000 and calling everyone dumb for spending anything more on ARs that don’t follow the TDP… Chop ‘em down to 10.3 so it’s actually a MK18 and what “they” use… etc., etc., etc., ad nauseam…

pinzgauer
03-25-22, 15:11
Typical Mike Mihalski customer service. I've seen it time and time again here and elsewhere. While both SOLGW and BCM makes great products, THAT is the reason I pick SOLGW over BCM.Got my attention!

prepare
03-25-22, 16:01
Typical Mike Mihalski customer service. I've seen it time and time again here and elsewhere. While both SOLGW and BCM makes great products, THAT is the reason I pick SOLGW over BCM.

Solid products, solid processes, solid people that believe in America and back it up. That”s SOLGW.

markm
03-25-22, 16:06

Not to knock SOLGW in any way, but BCM has done the exact same stuff here. BELIEVE me.

utahjeepr
03-25-22, 16:58
Yeah, not gonna even try to text him. Not the OP, wasn't offered generically. :)

But I will remember when it's time to spend my money.

pag23
03-25-22, 18:00

Lmk what you think.

2104005992 is my cell.

Mike

That is a class move....

titsonritz
03-25-22, 18:15

:lol: made me laugh

Both are fine. I dont even know why this needs to be asked.

^^^This is the bottom line.

prepare
03-25-22, 18:33
Now that BCM BCG’s & SOLGW’s BCG’s are both available again (as of right now) I was curious what you guys think is better & which one you prefer (since they are about the same price). I know they are both top quality BCG’s and their quality are probably around the same but wanted to know which you guys prefer if you had the choice etc. Thanks.

Do yourself a favor and don't over clean your BCG. Especially the bolt tail!

ABNAK
03-25-22, 20:44
Do yourself a favor and don't over clean your BCG. Especially the bolt tail!

Oh that's where the rubber meets the road man! If you can diligently clean the bolt tail without damaging the finish then you're golden. I have it down to a science. :cool:

Cane55
03-25-22, 23:59

Lmk what you think.

2104005992 is my cell.

Mike

Thanks for the offer to loan me a SOLGW’s BCG to try out, I really appreciate it and think your a really cool guy and that’s a really classy move. But I already know your BCG is top quality (like I said in my original post). I was just asking the guys which one they prefer and what the differences are (if any). I didn’t write the post for personal gain or to get something free, so while I appreciate your generosity, I’m going to buy a SOLGW BCG with my own money because I already know it’s top quality. Thank you though, it’s very reassuring knowing what outstanding CS you guys have and how seriously you guys stand behind your products.

NYH1
03-30-22, 01:05

Lmk what you think.

2104005992 is my cell.

Mike

I've had good luck with everything I've ever bought from BCM, so I'm always gonna be a BCM customer.

After seeing the above post by SOLGW, gonna have to give them a shot in the future as well!

NYH1.

Jstud220
03-30-22, 12:28
I’ve been more than satisfied with everything SOLGW and BCM I’ve bought. Unfortunately I can’t afford as much of it as I’d like too but for now all I have is a PSA knockoff SOLGW bcg. I’m hoping to catch a sale at big Tex ordnance in the near future to buy a true solgw bcg.

titsonritz
03-30-22, 12:56
all I have is a PSA knockoff SOLGW bcg.

what does that even mean? Since when PSA is knocking off SOLGW BCGs?

Dutch110
03-30-22, 13:28

They're both black. They all look the same to him :D

prepare
03-30-22, 15:45

PSA has a BCG called Fathers of Freedom that’s made by Microbest. That’s what he’s referring too.

Jstud220
03-30-22, 18:26
PSA has a BCG called Fathers of Freedom that’s made by Microbest. That’s what he’s referring too.
This. The fathers of freedom bcg is essentially a knockoff SOLGW bcg made by microbest

Cane55
03-31-22, 00:10
This. The fathers of freedom bcg is essentially a knockoff SOLGW bcg made by microbest

Is it assembled & QC’d by Microbest or PSA?

SOTAR
03-31-22, 02:12
I have never failed a SOLGW BCG.

SOLGW BCG's have better springs when comparing the two mentioned.

BCM still sells a great BCG.

Dutch110
03-31-22, 11:35
I have never failed a SOLGW BCG.

SOLGW BCG's have better springs when comparing the two mentioned.

BCM still sells a great BCG.

There is at least one company I know selling SOLGW BCGs with the OCKS in them as well. Special order from SOLGW. This triggers my inner BCG geek and makes me want one.

Vegas
03-31-22, 11:42
What we need is a chart…

BangBang77
03-31-22, 18:26
What we need is a chart…

LOL. Where's the tactical yellow visor when you need one?

Jstud220
03-31-22, 18:44
Is it assembled & QC’d by Microbest or PSA?
I would assume microbest. It’s called the sons of freedom bcg by microbest. You can find it on PSA’s website

Cane55
04-01-22, 19:17
There is at least one company I know selling SOLGW BCGs with the OCKS in them as well. Special order from SOLGW. This triggers my inner BCG geek and makes me want one.

How do you get a SOLGW BCG with the OCKS? Does SOLGW sell them themselves?

Cane55
04-01-22, 19:22
I just realized that Sionics BCG uses the OCKS in them. Pretty cool.

https://sionicsweaponsystems.com/lawenforcement/sionics-bolt-carrier-group-hp-mpi-phosphate/

Dutch110
04-01-22, 19:34
How do you get a SOLGW BCG with the OCKS? Does SOLGW sell them themselves?

Capable Citizen sells them.

gaijin
04-02-22, 05:47

Should the doughnut be used, is it necessary?!?

matemike
04-02-22, 07:43
I didn't open this thread until now because...you know...another BCG thread comparing only two top quality makes.
So I had to see how it went on for three pages. Turns out I'm really glad I opened it for only one reason. I saw where mike made the 7th post with his cell phone number. The 210 area code was a dead give away to me that they are in SA, TX. Don't know why the fact that SOLGW is located in SA never stood out to me before. I was born there. Parents live there. And I live about 2 hours from there. I'll definitely be stopping by their store one day. Earned my business and respect.

pag23
04-02-22, 10:15

Now you went there.....lol

Can you post a shock buff in the 1911 thread....

Cane55
04-02-22, 10:29

My $.02 cents is, they say with the Sprinco CS spring it’s unnecessary, but personally whenever I’ve used the donut with it it’s never caused any problems and only increased extractor tension & reliability, but that is only my personal experience. Do at your own risk. I would do whatever the manufacturer suggests to do, I’m just telling you what’s worked for me.

veeklog
04-02-22, 13:48
Used different BCG’s, from Colt, LMT, Toolcraft, WMD, BCM, Noveske. Never had an issue with any quality BCG because I believe with the barrel it the most important part of an AR. My go-to are Colt and LMT BCG’s, though, followed by BCM. Never used SOLGW BCG but may give it a shot now based on Mike’s response

ChattanoogaPhil
04-03-22, 15:19
Sionics advertises The Best Bolt Carrier Groups Available. They're right, right?

indianalex01
04-03-22, 21:31

And you just did. You beat them to the punch. Colt BCG’s are solid. The others are good too. People like you (Colt bashers) just can’t help themselves

Dutch110
04-04-22, 08:11
And you just did. You beat them to the punch. Colt BCG’s are solid. The others are good too. People like you (Colt bashers) just can’t help themselves

I honestly don't care one way or another. And never have I ever said Colt is bad. I mean they should be GREAT now that CZ bought them. Finally some innovation. Anyway I digress. The reason I make those sarcastic comments is because of the inevitable Colt leg humpers who come along and make posts like yours. Hell I may even buy a 6920 when they get cheap enough. So cool your jets sugar tits.

04-04-22, 09:20
I honestly don't care one way or another. And never have I ever said Colt is bad. I mean they should be GREAT now that CZ bought them. Finally some innovation. Anyway I digress. The reason I make those sarcastic comments is because of the inevitable Colt leg humpers who come along and make posts like yours. Hell I may even buy a 6920 when they get cheap enough. So cool your jets sugar tits.

Cz CoLt InNoVaTe

What innovation really is: longer handguards, longer gas tubes, bigger gas ports.

Dutch110
04-04-22, 09:54
Cz CoLt InNoVaTe

What innovation really is: longer handguards, longer gas tubes, bigger gas ports.

I like my ARs like I like my women. Fat and gassy :D

Sadly I fear you are correct. Big fan of CZ pistols. I own a TSO, S2 and a few of the P10 variants. As well as a Scorpion. And I love them all. My HOPE is that they innovate and get Colt into the same circles as KAC for instance.

indianalex01
04-04-22, 10:15

Sugar tits.. cum up with something original.. I’m not colt humper at all. 6920’s are pretty darn cheap now. Stop being a tight ass and get one. Then post some more BS on here..

Dutch110
04-04-22, 11:18
Sugar tits.. cum up with something original.. I’m not colt humper at all. 6920’s are pretty darn cheap now. Stop being a tight ass and get one. Then post some more BS on here..

Tight ass? lol. It would be a cheap beater gun compared to the other builds in my safe. And thanks, I will keep posting. You have inspired me.

indianalex01
04-04-22, 12:24
Tight ass? lol. It would be a cheap beater gun compared to the other builds in my safe. And thanks, I will keep posting. You have inspired me.

I am glad you feel inspired because your posts haven’t been very good for a while now. Hopefully your future posts will bring something relevant to the table. We shall see..

HKGuns
04-04-22, 12:40
Sionics advertises The Best Bolt Carrier Groups Available. They're right, right?

I will only say that they tightly control the measurables. I've gauged BCG's from Colt - DD - AO - WC, Sionics and others.

While all are generally good, Sionics are the most consistent and gas effecient. Sionics also come well staked, with OCKS and great extractor springs. So if I were to pick just one brand, it would be Sionics based on my measurements.

Between those two I would say go with whichever is cheaper as both should be solid BCG’s. I thought this was the other BCG thread.

Dutch110
04-04-22, 13:11
I am glad you feel inspired because your posts haven’t been very good for a while now. Hopefully your future posts will bring something relevant to the table. We shall see..

(Sigh.) Like I told you when you subscribed to my Only Fans page, stop cyber stalking me. I know you have romantic feelings for me but I just don't swing that way. And for the last time no, I will not send you feet pics.

04-04-22, 13:25
I agree that Colt makes a great BCG and rifle (I carried and shot one all last week), but I’m not understanding the relevence in the thread or why we have to be phookin assholes about it.

JSantoro
04-04-22, 14:42
Pro-Tip: Just because our primarily-government-schooled population lets that piss-poor education be what limits them to using "VERSUS" as a means of doing a compare/contrast topic...

...does not say again NOT mean that your only option is to turn it into a smartest-retard competition.

VERSUS is not an invitation to let entropy take over immediately. Stop trying to out-clever somebody else, answer the damned question that was asked instead of the question *you'd prefer it be*, and leave it at that.

If you can't do that....keep your sewer closed, or it will BE closed by folks capable of doing so and making it stick. Bear in mind, getting into a The Last Word competition with us...isn't a competition, the outcome is foregone.

Choose.

ssc
04-04-22, 14:44

I prefer SOLGW over BCM. I have both as well as sionics, LMT and colt. My experience reflects what SOTAR said. I had a few BCM's and the extractor spring was a 4 coil spring that didn't last long. Perhaps they use different springs currently? I prefer the sprinco or colt extractor spring and the SOLGW comes with the sprinco.

Cheers, Steve

indianalex01
04-04-22, 15:48
(Sigh.) Like I told you when you subscribed to my Only Fans page, stop cyber stalking me. I know you have romantic feelings for me but I just don't swing that way. And for the last time no, I will not send you feet pics.

Wow.. you are nuts.. keep you gay stuff to yourself. This is a gun forum, Not a dating site

indianalex01
04-04-22, 15:52
I prefer SOLGW over BCM. I have both as well as sionics, LMT and colt. My experience reflects what SOTAR said. I had a few BCM's and the extractor spring was a 4 coil spring that didn't last long. Perhaps they use different springs currently? I prefer the sprinco or colt extractor spring and the SOLGW comes with the sprinco.

Cheers, Steve

What makes BCM so much better? I am asking honestly. Most of the Milspec BCG’s are pretty solid (Colt, toolcraft, DD, BCM) ect. I haven’t had any issues with any of the mentioned types.. I have shot a lot of rounds through them.

26 Inf
04-04-22, 18:07
What makes BCM so much better? I am asking honestly. Most of the Milspec BCG’s are pretty solid (Colt, toolcraft, DD, BCM) ect. I haven’t had any issues with any of the mentioned types.. I have shot a lot of rounds through them.

From the video, PB speaking: 'without our obsession with QC, we are just another rifle manufacturer'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaFOZAwspYI

They have a reputation for QC bordering on the anal, couple that with a reputation for quality components and you have a combination that gives many folks additional comfort that their rifles with BCM components will go bang, every time, whenever needed.

Other manufacturers are taking heed and bringing that spirit of additional QC to the table, which is good for the consumer: we have a wide variety of component manufacturers to choose from.

At least that's the way I see it.

Cane55
04-04-22, 18:36
I will only say that they tightly control the measurables. I've gauged BCG's from Colt - DD - AO - WC, Sionics and others.

While all are generally good, Sionics are the most consistent and gas effecient. Sionics also come well staked, with OCKS and great extractor springs. So if I were to pick just one brand, it would be Sionics based on my measurements.

Between those two I would say go with whichever is cheaper as both should be solid BCG’s. I thought this was the other BCG thread.

Does Sionics still offer their BCG with the NP3 coating? I’m asking because I haven’t seen it offered on their website in a long time. The Sionic BCG’s that your talking about, the ones you tested etc., were they the phosphate or NP3 ones? Just curious, thanks.

HKGuns
04-04-22, 20:04
Does Sionics still offer their BCG with the NP3 coating? I’m asking because I haven’t seen it offered on their website in a long time. The Sionic BCG’s that your talking about, the ones you tested etc., were they the phosphate or NP3 ones? Just curious, thanks.

I saw them in stock just the other day.

Core781
04-04-22, 20:32

From my observations BCM elevated the game during a time when milspec was really the only mainstream option. They used a different coating and made efforts to improve the ejection issues that plagued bolts of the era prior to the spring and viton oring improvement. In addition BCM offered high QC which is always beneficial. Colt and true military contract BCGs are quite nice and really don't need much improvement other than aesthetics in some cases. FNH BCGs are really quite nice in appearance and function with better machine finish than Colt and a cool green parked coating. Colt's have changed in color a bit but also have a grayish park. SOLGW would be my choice because they use CroSil springs. I have Colt, FN, and some interesting military contracts and I install Sprinco into them all right off the bat including the buffer/recoil springs. Plus SOLGW is a cool company that I respect and admire their art. Someday if I can tear myself away from my clone addiction I hope to build a custom SOL rifle. So far I have done some E2 clones, Windham, and even a Aero custom SPR, aside from my Colts and Colt clones. I really dig the SOLGW logos also and Mike is okay..

Skyviking
04-05-22, 01:06

I believe that question was settled by St. Pat (Roger’s): Pants Down, Vagisil. I think Mike should send me one of his BCGs to prove that it won’t leave me um, SOL…

Biggy
04-05-22, 09:40
Geissele or SOLGW BCG’s for me.

blackhawktech
04-05-22, 09:48
I recently had a BCM bolt carrier group fail on me. I sent it back to them and they replaced everything but the bolt. It did make me leery of their BCG. I also own a SOLGW BCG that is in a 6.5 grendel build. Not many rounds through it so can’t comment on reliability. Good to know if it ever breaks that the company stands behind their products.

indianalex01
04-05-22, 09:56
I recently had a BCM bolt carrier group fail on me. I sent it back to them and they replaced everything but the bolt. It did make me leery of their BCG. I also own a SOLGW BCG that is in a 6.5 grendel build. Not many rounds through it so can’t comment on reliability. Good to know if it ever breaks that the company stands behind their products.

Can you give some detail on how it failed?

blackhawktech
04-05-22, 15:16
Can you give some detail on how it failed?

Where the bolt tail travels through the rear of the carrier the metal was deformed. This was causing the bolt to not cycle properly. The BCG was installed in a 300 blackout upper I built.

titsonritz
05-26-22, 17:19
PA has SOLGW BCG on sale for $135.
https://www.primaryarms.com/sons-of-liberty-gun-works-m16-bolt-carrier-group-223-556-phosphate?trk_msg=M10BMO19CVK4F74QQTDC438AIS&trk_contact=R26FQ29SIQDHSD5VI9IO67JQQC&trk_sid=OPA34KSLAEUQG7I0FTFFKEGEP4&trk_link=AJN2FUDH3J2K114MJDL9F40PAO&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SLOT_2&utm_campaign=22_05_AD26b_Memorial_Day_Pt2

indianalex01
05-26-22, 17:27
Where the bolt tail travels through the rear of the carrier the metal was deformed. This was causing the bolt to not cycle properly. The BCG was installed in a 300 blackout upper I built.

I have had bad luck with accuracy with BCM. They didn’t really support it either. BCM is so overrated to me. I will never buy another. Colt has never failed me and neither has Military FN.

The_War_Wagon
05-27-22, 09:19
That’s really cool Mike!

Especially on this platform!

True dat. If I ever get back to work & see money again, I know which BCG I'm buying next!

Biggy
05-27-22, 21:18
There are a lot of great BCG’s out there that I would trust, but I prefer the SOLGW and Geissele Enhanced BCG’s. Not saying they are the best, but they are what I like.

Eurodriver
05-31-22, 07:34
LOL. Where's the tactical yellow visor when you need one?

Is he still shooting?

Rob_s come back

titsonritz
06-29-22, 15:53
PA has SOLGW BCG on sale for $135.
https://www.primaryarms.com/sons-of-liberty-gun-works-m16-bolt-carrier-group-223-556-phosphate?trk_msg=M10BMO19CVK4F74QQTDC438AIS&trk_contact=R26FQ29SIQDHSD5VI9IO67JQQC&trk_sid=OPA34KSLAEUQG7I0FTFFKEGEP4&trk_link=AJN2FUDH3J2K114MJDL9F40PAO&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SLOT_2&utm_campaign=22_05_AD26b_Memorial_Day_Pt2

Back on sale.

ScottsBad
06-30-22, 22:30
This thread makes me laugh. Both brands are very good. I don't think one is probably better than the other. When you get to a certain level, there isn't that much difference. From reputation I'd trust SOLGW. From experience I trust BCM. They both seem to stand behind their products and strive to provide quality stuff. I think I'll get a SOLGW BCG to try out pretty soon.

I've been using BCM for 10 years, along with others. I already have 6+ BCM complete BCGs and extra BCM bolts in boxes. Along with some spare DD, LMT BCGs, and a spare Geissele REBCG. And some cheaper BCGs.

I also keep a couple extra BCM extractors around. Sprinco extractor springs. And quality ejector parts too.

But now I'm curious about the SOLGW.

ScottsBad
07-01-22, 11:15
Back on sale.

Thanks, I just snagged one to try out.

BufordTJustice
07-01-22, 17:13
Long time duty-user of BCM guns and parts. Taken them into harm's way and trust my life to BCM (and LMT).

I've spoken with Mike at SOLGW at-length on the phone. Also held their pieces at local DFW shops but not yet shot them.

Based on my lengthy, technical discussion with Mike.... and knowing many actual users of SOLGW, I'll call them equal to BCM.

SOLGW uses all the right parts, in the right way, from the right suppliers, assembled with due care and competence. They stand behind what they make.

My next gun will either be a KAC or SOLGW.

LOBO
07-05-22, 01:00
Gonna give SOLGW bcg a try next go around.