PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of Aimpoint PRO

Whalstib
03-27-22, 14:19
Howdy,

Sighting in an Aimpoint PRO on a DDM4 I was able to get down to 1.5" groups from 50 yards (furthest my 40x binos could resolve). Used a tripod shooting in my typical standing position.

That was with the red dot dialed down to smallest MOA say about the size of a period on my screen here (.). Look like it covered ~2" of the target so within margin of error considering my eyes....

I'll eventually get to a proper range with a scope and try to be more critical but wonder if I'd be asking more than the PRO can offer.

Thanks!

Inkslinger
03-27-22, 14:33
At 50y the dot is covering 1”. Whatever ammunition you’re using probably is having more of an effect than the sight.

1986s4
03-27-22, 14:41
I had an Aimpoint Pro, good sight but I found the clarity and definition of the dot was the deciding factor for me and my middle age eyes. My current Aimpoint CompM4 is a much more defined dot for me, it actually is a dot... Have you tried a magnifier with the RD ?

TBAR_94
03-27-22, 14:45
I can reliably hit a reduced torso at 300 with mine. You do have to find a brightness that works with the conditions but I don’t think it’s a fundamentally more or less accurate sight than any other dot. I did find the stock mount shot lose but fixed it with a thread locker.

Circle_10
03-27-22, 15:12
I once put ten rounds of IMI 77gr into like 1.5” at 100 yards using an Aimpoint Pro on an 11.5”
Once

Usually I’m not particularly accurate with my PROs because my eye tends to distort my perception of the dot. Indoors in low light we are talking jagged starburst effect, outdoors in daylight it’s much less severe but still enough to affect group size.
I routinely shoot iron sights more accurately than I do with the Aimpoints, but it’s slower obviously.

The_War_Wagon
03-27-22, 18:05
At 50y the dot is covering 1”. Whatever ammunition you’re using probably is having more of an effect than the sight.

This!!!

DaBigBR
03-27-22, 18:32
The PRO is no more or less accurate than any other red dot. Dot size may make it more or less precise, but I would submit that at 50 yards, it's hard for most to see the difference between a 1 or 2 or 4 MOA dot.

Ammunition, barrel, position stability, etc.

What ammo, barrel length, and twist are you using and can you get better groups with the same ammo in another rifle?

fedupflyer
03-27-22, 19:53
With a 2 MOA dot and good ammo, I would expect a grouping of about 2 MOA.

Sarvershooter
03-28-22, 06:31
Best I've done off a range bag at 50 yds. Colt 6920 w/AP PRO. Big difference in brightness from not being able to see the dot to the next brightness level which makes the dot appear larger. My one and only complaint with the PRO. 67642

IALoder
03-28-22, 06:37

This. I expect to shoot groups right around or a little bigger than what size the dot is. Ammo dependent of course.

Krazykarl
03-28-22, 07:23
I can't quantify the group size, with imi 262 through my le6920 equipped with the Pro, a surprisingly small collection of bullet holes at 300 yards. Very pleased with the combination. The best dot for my astigmatism.

markm
03-28-22, 08:16
Tripods are terrible shooting options for shooting a group. I know they have their place and value, but trying to measure and RDS gun's accuracy isn't ideal.

bamashooter
03-28-22, 08:20
Supported on a tripod, bench, etc, 1.5 @ 50 needs a bit of work. Probably not the optic. You can always try to use the edge of the dot and see what happens. Perhaps you have 20/20 or even 20/10. That's but one factor when evaluating vision. Though not noticeable in many cases and situations, depth-perception can be key when trying to "visualize" an object (bullet" to a less than 1" spot at 50m / 50yd. Very good chance it's the ammunition. I have 20/10 with no known anomalies yet I can appreciate a little magnification at 50m +. Due to that, my last few ARs with optics are equipped with magnified prism scopes. And I like the added benefit of an etched reticle which is what I use 90% of the times when conditions allow.

bamashooter
03-28-22, 08:23
Tripods are terrible shooting options for shooting a group. I know they have their place and value, but trying to measure and RDS gun's accuracy isn't ideal.

Same. They're ok but I rarely if ever use one when chronoing (new word).:D

Five_Point_Five_Six
03-28-22, 08:55
Howdy,

Sighting in an Aimpoint PRO on a DDM4 I was able to get down to 1.5" groups from 50 yards (furthest my 40x binos could resolve). Used a tripod shooting in my typical standing position.

That was with the red dot dialed down to smallest MOA say about the size of a period on my screen here (.). Look like it covered ~2" of the target so within margin of error considering my eyes....

I'll eventually get to a proper range with a scope and try to be more critical but wonder if I'd be asking more than the PRO can offer.

Thanks!

We need more info but I feel confident that any accuracy issues, perceived or otherwise, is not due to the Aimpoint.

First, ditch the tripod. Like markm said, they're terrible for shooting groups. A bipod and a rear bag to stabilize the rifle is a much better setup.

You say you were "able to get down to 1.5" groups at 50 yards". Is that one 1.5" group at 50 yards and the rest were larger?

What ammo were you shooting? If it's shelf grade M193 or something similar, 3" at 100 ain't bad for that ammo with a red dot.

What is your experience level? I take it your new or somewhat new to shooting. If that's the case, 1.5" groups at 50 yards with a red dot and cheap ammo off a tripod is actually pretty good.

What kind of target were you shooting at?

MegademiC
03-28-22, 12:28
Fwiw, to shoot the best groups with an rds i like to get a black circle slightly larger than the dot to help center it. Example: 2moa rds, 3-4" black circle at 100yds.

A 1" circle will be covered by the dot and difficult to aim at the same point every time

grizzman
03-28-22, 12:55
Lots of good advice has been given.

I consider using a 6:00 hold to be more precise than trying to put a circle on a circle with even target visible around the dot.

ChattanoogaPhil
03-28-22, 18:58
I rarely shoot at paper other than zeroing. With a 2moa dot at 50yds I'll use a 3in ShootNC on white paper. The color contrast between the red dot with a small 3in black ShootNC behind it on white paper makes holding center easier/more repeatable for me. After that, verify the 50yd zero at 200yds or whatever the second zero might be. I consider a 1x red dot a point and click aiming device. I'm not agonizing over precision.

I've used 2, 4 and 5moa dots over the years. No difference for zeroing at relatively short distances out to 50yds. I've tried lighting conditions where I could turn down dot intensity to make it smaller. The rifle and ammo didn't seem to care.

I use a bag when zeroing. Otherwise, I shoot my ARs offhand at steel out to 200yds. I prefer a 4moa dot because my eye resolves the larger dot better than the smaller 2moa. Old eyes are a bitch.

C-grunt
03-28-22, 22:38
Sighting in an Aimpoint PRO on a DDM4 I was able to get down to 1.5" groups from 50 yards (furthest my 40x binos could resolve).

Am I reading this right? The furthest your 40 power magnification binoculars could resolve was 50 yards?

Is that the binos or your eyes? Because if it's your eyes then 1.5 inches is amazing shooting.

ABNAK
03-29-22, 19:59
I rarely shoot at paper other than zeroing. With a 2moa dot at 50yds I'll use a 3in ShootNC on white paper. The color contrast between the red dot with a small 3in black ShootNC behind it on white paper makes holding center easier/more repeatable for me. After that, verify the 50yd zero at 200yds or whatever the second zero might be. I consider a 1x red dot a point and click aiming device. I'm not agonizing over precision.

I've used 2, 4 and 5moa dots over the years. No difference for zeroing at relatively short distances out to 50yds. I've tried lighting conditions where I could turn down dot intensity to make it smaller. The rifle and ammo didn't seem to care.

I use a bag when zeroing. Otherwise, I shoot my ARs offhand at steel out to 200yds. I prefer a 4moa dot because my eye resolves the larger dot better than the smaller 2moa. Old eyes are a bitch.

Absolutely. I am trying to set the mechanical zero of the weapon when zeroing; I use front bags and even a rear bag if possible while taking my good ol' time. Any other adjustments later come from me trying to undo variances from the "true" zero. Also a true mechanical zero *should* work for just about anyone, and they can then make their own shooting point adjustments afterwards, i.e. seeing where the round hits and where I swear it was aimed at when shooting offhand, then adjust my hold and not the sight knobs.

NYH1
03-30-22, 00:55
I really like my AP Pro. I do the 50y/200m (220y) zero. I'm around an inch at 50y. Tennis/baseball size groups at 100y. Head size groups at 200y. My eyes suck too.

NYH1.

RHINOWSO
04-04-22, 17:39

Why? Just because a dot is 2/4/6 MOA doesn't mean you can't pick a spot on the target and hold it the same every time.

For me a diamond / square shaped target is the best and hold an edge of the dot right to the point. Same hold, every time.

Pandaz3
04-04-22, 19:18
I have two PRO's and several other brands and like mine, none are as accurate as a cheaper scope. Not for snipers, close and quick.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-04-22, 19:59
Why? Just because a dot is 2/4/6 MOA doesn't mean you can't pick a spot on the target and hold it the same every time.

For me a diamond / square shaped target is the best and hold an edge of the dot right to the point. Same hold, every time.

Never considered it, but I like that idea of a dot edge on a target diamond point. I'll have to give it a try next time I zero a red dot. Thanks.

bulletproofwelding_1
04-04-22, 20:45
The pro is just fine all red dots are designed for CQC a 300 yrd shot is not the purpose for red dots. You can do it but in real world it called cover fire when shooting at 300 yds. If you practice you can definitely drop people at 300 plus yards with red dot.

1986s4
04-05-22, 07:12
I once put ten rounds of IMI 77gr into like 1.5” at 100 yards using an Aimpoint Pro on an 11.5”
Once

Usually I’m not particularly accurate with my PROs because my eye tends to distort my perception of the dot. Indoors in low light we are talking jagged starburst effect, outdoors in daylight it’s much less severe but still enough to affect group size.
I routinely shoot iron sights more accurately than I do with the Aimpoints, but it’s slower obviously.

I had the same experience as you so I sold my Pro to a younger man and shot irons for several years. I was thinking that all RD sights were the same and the distorted "dot" I saw would be the same across the board. Then I tried an Aimpoint Comp M4, a much more expensive sight, and found that all RD sights were not the same.

RHINOWSO
04-05-22, 07:57
Never considered it, but I like that idea of a dot edge on a target diamond point. I'll have to give it a try next time I zero a red dot. Thanks.

I use these, you have a number of edges or corners to aim at, which I greatly prefer.

https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_750190034_1.jpg

T2C
04-05-22, 08:28
The pro is just fine all red dots are designed for CQC a 300 yrd shot is not the purpose for red dots. You can do it but in real world it called cover fire when shooting at 300 yds. If you practice you can definitely drop people at 300 plus yards with red dot.

The red dot can cover a considerable amount of the target at 300 yards. I run 4 MOA red dots, which cover 12-1/2" at 300 yards.

If I center the red dot on the center of the target at 300 yards, accuracy is not what I would like to see. If I index the top or bottom of the red dot on a small aiming point on the target, sub 2-1/2 MOA 10 shot groups with 55g ball ammunition are the norm with my carbines.

Red dot sights may be designed for making fast shots at close distances, but decent accuracy at 300 yards is attainable.

1986s4
04-05-22, 08:46
The red dot can cover a considerable amount of the target at 300 yards. I run 4 MOA red dots, which cover 12-1/2" at 300 yards.

If I center the red dot on the center of the target at 300 yards, accuracy is not what I would like to see. If I index the top or bottom of the red dot on a small aiming point on the target, sub 2-1/2 MOA 10 shot groups with 55g ball ammunition are the norm with my carbines.

Red dot sights may be designed for making fast shots at close distances, but decent accuracy at 300 yards is attainable.

Of course you are correct[just not for me] but I have done good work with a 3X-4X magnifier.

04-05-22, 08:50
I did a box test with a PRO 5-6 years ago and it tracked perfectly.

TMS951
04-10-22, 08:12
I have had a lot of influence in my accuracy from how dot mow size and the target lay out interact.

Let’s say the target has a 2” bull. I’ll be most accurate with a 2moa dot. Why? Because the 2moa dot ‘clicks’ into the 2moa bull. A 1 moa dot will float around in a 2 moa bull and you’ll have to keep it centered. A 3 moa or larger dot covers the whole 2moa bull and you can’t tell how it’s centered.

That said the 3 Moa you shot seems reasonable not knowing the barrel or ammo.