PDA

View Full Version : RUAG?

BrettD
12-17-08, 18:25
Hi All,

Can anyone provide any insight to the terminal performance of the various RUAG natures, beyond the manufacturer's gumpf?

I'm fairly comfortable with the .308 Win and .338 LM performances, although I'd always welcome opinions/experience from this forum. I'm particularly interested in the terminal effects of 9mm Para (from SMG) and 5.56mm NATO (from CQBR, 14.5" and ~20" bbl's). Any info/insight would be useful.

And thanks for jacking up such a well-operated and grown-up forum.

Cheers

BrettD

sinister
12-17-08, 18:52
RUAG 5.56mm cartridges (manufactured in Thun, Switzerland) are exceptionally high quality.

Swiss GP90 Ball (loaded for SIG assault rifles) is/was exceptionally accurate -- call it mass-produced match grade ammo.

The Swiss have 300 Meter and electronically-scored ranges all over the country -- very impressive.

The downside (second-hand / not personal knowledge) of GP90 is it's supposedly poor as far as terminal effects go (a standard FMJ Ball jacket).

If it was available cheap in the states I'd buy a trunkload because I know I could hit someone with it pretty far out.

Iraqgunz
12-18-08, 03:09
I purchased some RUAG 55gr. ball a while back when it was available and I regret that I didn't buy a case or two. It was very clean good and good shooting ammo.

Ned Christiansen
12-18-08, 10:44
It's good stuff. An upcoming article by me in SWAT has a little info on some of their more exotic 5.56, like tungsten-cored AP and a lead-free SS109 loading.

Abraxas
06-08-09, 10:51
I don't believe that I have ever heard of it. Is it still being imported or are they being made at all?

Ned Christiansen
06-08-09, 22:52
It's actually.... not available in the US. Last I knew.

Iraqgunz
06-09-09, 02:15
Ammoman had some about 2 years or so ago which is when I bought mine. Apparently it is available in Canada as another M4 member has asked me about the 62gr. version. I think it was about U.S 750.00 for 1000 rds. Not sure about the M193.

It's actually.... not available in the US. Last I knew.

Failure2Stop
06-09-09, 04:46
We are using RUAG over here. It is classified, "For Training Use Only".
It is exceptionally uniform in seating depth (when compared to other general issue ammo such as M855) and turns in about 1.5 to 2 MOA with a good shooter from a prone position with a 4X optic at 300 meters.

I have some bad camera phone pics I can post.

A few yards ago I was issued some odd 72 gr swiss match ammo that came in the same white box with the same grey plastic stripper-clip. It wasn't all that great.

Of course this is all academic since we can't get it in the US :(, and if we could it would probably cost as much as Mk262.

pbr streetgang
06-10-09, 01:42
We are using RUAG over here. It is classified, "For Training Use Only".
It is exceptionally uniform in seating depth (when compared to other general issue ammo such as M855) and turns in about 1.5 to 2 MOA with a good shooter from a prone position with a 4X optic at 300 meters.

I have some bad camera phone pics I can post.

A few yards ago I was issued some odd 72 gr swiss match ammo that came in the same white box with the same grey plastic stripper-clip. It wasn't all that great.

Of course this is all academic since we can't get it in the US :(, and if we could it would probably cost as much as Mk262.

I just purchased 1000 rounds of Ruag fmj tungsten gp90 63 grain for $850 Cdn.
thats about $700 U.S.

It seems it's no longer exclusive to millitary/law enforcment..

the company i purchased it from has about 30,000 rounds for sale

sinister
06-10-09, 20:08
It's about the most accurate mass-produced 5.56 you can buy.

Some folks are not too keen on its terminal ballistic performance, but I've never seen it fail to kill knuckleheads when placement is correct -- and that's easier to do when you hit where you're aiming.

Ned Christiansen
06-10-09, 23:32
I had a chance to group some RUAG 63 grain AP at an Army base last summer. It's MOA or better stuff. Their 69 grain BTHP "Styx Action" was always sub-MOA, in both cases using a heavy barreled Sabre. I broke 2 MOA with it using a 16" Sabre carbine. Sight was a Zeiss Z-Point with a LaRue Po'boy behind it.

DRich
06-11-09, 00:12
I bought one case of GP90 several years ago when it was first imported. Most accurate and cleanest burning surplus ammo I've ever used in any caliber. I wish I had been smart enough to buy a few more cases of it back then instead of all the XM193 I hoarded.

pbr streetgang
06-12-09, 02:57
Just got my shipment in today of 63 grain fmj Ruag and fired off 200 rounds at the range.. I was firing 10 round groups with a consistent silver dollar size grouping at 200 metres (with the occasional flyer). I was using my Imperial Defence MG4A5 with a Burris XTS-135 speed dot and an Aimpoint 3X mag....
Im Buying another 1000 rounds tommorow :D