PDA

View Full Version : 3 Gun: pump or semi-auto

Shark
12-17-08, 19:41
Seeking the wisdom of the forum!

I've been getting into 3 Gun lately and my current shotgun is a Remington 870 Express Magnum. I've just added a 9-10 round mag extension to the existing 28" barrel. It's a long barrel for 3 Gun, but I've been getting by. I also ordered a Speedfeed IVs stock that should arrive Friday. I'm anxious to see how it handles during fast paced shooting.

So, recently I discovered in my Dad's gun locker that he has a like-new Winchester model 1400 semi-auto. I have not heard much about this model, but it seems to be rare and no longer in production. In the future I may upgrade this rifle by putting on a 22" barrel and mag extension. My plan is to get a Speedfeed stock for this, but they only make the stock for the model 1200/1300, which I believe are pump actions. I've seen on other websites that standard stocks can be used for the 1400 as well as the 1200/1300. Well, I've got some email questions out to some vendors, so we'll see.

Any suggestions/recommendations? Use the 28" 870 and keep the model 1400 stock?

Thanks.

Robb Jensen
12-17-08, 19:46
An 870 will serve you well for most 3 gun shooting. If you're really trying to be competitive (like top 5%) then I would suggest an auto. If you're just shooting for fun keep on with the 870. Whenever I get around to buying a .308 DPMS AP4 and shooting He-man/Trooper I plan to use my 870 Police Magnum and my 1911. It's a small division but it's totally badass!

Shark
12-17-08, 20:18
Yeah, I'd like to be more competitive, but mainly just get better. If I feel good about my stage it's all good. It's just that my long barrel pump doesn't "fit in" with the rest. ;) I'll stick with the 870. Just wanted to get some comments. Thanks for yours.

uscbigdawg
12-17-08, 21:33
For Trooper, you better get some Open guns if you want to win. EVERY competitor at FB3G had dots on most (if not all 3) of their guns.

To the OP, don't waste your time with a 6.8. It's not worth the effort IMHO.

Rich