PDA

View Full Version : rear sight options

teufeldog
12-17-08, 20:35
I've been looking at rear sights lately. The flip up sights are currently out of my price range. I came across this (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showpage?saleitemid=235414&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=10636) on Midway's site. It looks like the LMT rear sight but the cost is significantly less. There are four positive reviews and two negative, but I would like to know if anyone else has experience with this cheap sight or has recommendations for good quality inexpensive rear sights. I won't be buying a red dot sight for many months to come so irons will be my primary sights for a while.

Avenger29
12-17-08, 21:57
It's cheap chinese garbage...adjustment problems, etc that come with that...

I was in your position (well, really still am)...here's some options of what I'd do...

1) Hit up your local shop for a used carry handle...possibly a take-off from a customer's rifle when they upgraded. I got my carry handle for $60 using this method.

2) Hit up the sale forum here, or at another internet site for a used carry handle for a similar price.

If you take options 1 or 2, you can also later have the carry handle cut down for a fixed BUIS....fugly but functional

3) Shell out the $$$ for a Larue Tactical fixed BUIS or similar.

I took option #1 when I bought my rifle several months ago.

Also, I walked into my favorite shop today, and the proprietor cut me a deal on a used Aimpoint 5000 for $100...so you may want to keep your eyes peeled for a similar bargain. My Aimpoint is long and gawky, and low on the battery life, but it's still far better than a $100 Aimpoint knockoff...

Savior 6
12-18-08, 00:17
Hey that long, thin Aimpoint 5000 is the type that I was given as an option to mount on my M249. It never did me wrong.

RWK
12-18-08, 10:29
I've been looking at rear sights lately. The flip up sights are currently out of my price range.

My advice is to save up the money and buy the quality sight you want from a name brand manufacturer. You can often find good deals in the member sales section of this site. That cheap Chi-Com crap will only cause you heartache and tears.

markm
12-18-08, 11:04
recommendations for good quality inexpensive rear sights.

Those two criteria are mutually exclusive.

teufeldog
12-18-08, 11:46
Those two criteria are mutually exclusive.

I'm figuring that out. I guess it will be the save up route. The LMT fixed rear is about the best cheapest option I've come across at $119. As always, thanks for the advice.

markm
12-18-08, 12:02
I'm figuring that out. I guess it will be the save up route. The LMT fixed rear is about the best cheapest option I've come across at $119. As always, thanks for the advice.

The problem with LMT is that they have a cast version of their Rear Sight unit.

When pics of it first were posted here, I thought it was a Chinese knock off. But apparently LMT is making them this way. I'd rather buy a carry handle and do a cut down.

There was a Colt carry handle for sale on ARF for like $85 the other day.

Avenger29
12-18-08, 12:11

Larue Tactical, $90 for their fixed BUIS...

teufeldog
12-18-08, 12:33
For not too much more ($140) Troy (http://www.troyind.com/rear.html) and LaRue (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=104) have flip up rear sights. Actually, these appear to be the same sights. They don't have elevation but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Boomer10
12-18-08, 12:41
For not too much more ($140) Troy (http://www.troyind.com/rear.html) and LaRue (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=104) have flip up rear sights. Actually, these appear to be the same sights. They don't have elevation but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

The LaRue sights are Troy sights with the LaRue logo on them. I'm not sure if there are any other differences though. If you look at the pics on LaRues site you can see the Troy name ingraved on the sight.

RWK
12-18-08, 14:14
The LMT fixed rear is about the best cheapest option I've come across at $119.
For not too much more ($140) Troy and LaRue have flip up rear sights.

My advice again is to do your research and buy the sight you really want.

They don't have elevation but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Remember that there's a difference between a true backup iron sight (BUIS) and a full-featured, primary rear sight. Most BUIS' don't have elevation adjustments since they're not intended for the shooter to make rapid sight adjustments in the field. The downside is that the shooter has to rely on holdovers and hold offs to compensate for increased/decreased range and wind. If you foresee using your rifle for ranges beyond 200 yards, I recommend iron sights that are quickly adjustable for both windage and elevation.

Solomon
12-18-08, 16:09
You might also consider Matech.