PDA

View Full Version : My build...so far.

halo2304
12-17-08, 20:47
Here's what I got so far.

Stag Lower and a Tapco SAW grip.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/IMG_0455.jpg
I've got a CAA tele-stock on order as well as a Stag upper. The stock is about three weeks out and the upper is longer...like three months! :eek: I'm working on a trade for a Vltor CASV-M and an EOtech. I'd also like to add a RRA winter trigger guard. The MAGPUL's OK, but I like the looks of the RRA better.

Yeah, I know that Tapco and CAA aren't the greatest out there but money's a little tight this time of year but at lease the SAW grip is more comfortable than the regular grip and the CAA stock is better than a fixed stock.

More pics as I add to it.

sewvacman
12-17-08, 22:02
Looks like the start of a good budget build.
What's that hangin'off your handle?

TackleBerry
12-17-08, 22:09
Looks like the floor plate for the pistol grip.

Rider79
12-18-08, 06:36
I understand that times are tight, but you can find many better quality parts than the ones you have chosen for the same price or less. Check out Magpul's MOE line for price points along the line of, or better than, CAA or Tapco. Look for an LMT M4 upper instead of the Stag upper for the same price. I made the mistake of assembling several ARs with less than optimal components, and now I'm in the process of correcting that. Check out these threads for more info:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

halo2304
12-18-08, 17:41
Tack is correct, it's the floor plate.

I know that Tapco is usually pronounced CRapco around here and CAA is treated in a similar fashion. I thought about building my upper but I figured it would be easier to buy it...especially these days. I'm kinda thinking that I should've just bought a complete rifle. I might build an extra upper. My favorite gun shop has a used Armalite semi-stripped upper (w/ door & f-assist) but i've been holding off because 1) it's used and it shows a little around the charge handle latch, 2) I don't know if it'd be worth the $125.

BTW, it's a flat-top, the only way I'd want it.

Caeser25
12-18-08, 18:03
Tack is correct, it's the floor plate.

I know that Tapco is usually pronounced CRapco around here and CAA is treated in a similar fashion. I thought about building my upper but I figured it would be easier to buy it...especially these days. I'm kinda thinking that I should've just bought a complete rifle. I might build an extra upper. My favorite gun shop has a used Armalite semi-stripped upper (w/ door & f-assist) but i've been holding off because 1) it's used and it shows a little around the charge handle latch, 2) I don't know if it'd be worth the $125.

BTW, it's a flat-top, the only way I'd want it.

get it and either
1. see how it shoots.
2.replace the barrel.
3. throw that bitch on gunbroker and make you some money to fund some parts.

halo2304
12-18-08, 19:38
Sorry for the confusion. The Armalite upper only has the door and forward assist. I'd need the barrel, gas tube, etc. I can get some of those components used at the same shop but they don't have a barrel or bolt carrier group. I'd have to have them order them and God only knows how long that will take.

sewvacman
12-19-08, 01:41
Dez arms has decent 4140 chromoly barrels for $130- got my 11-1/2" hbar for $105 on gbroker from them

Grant usually has m4 uppers for $95- he has m3 right now for $90 (I think)- in stock,

Good luck to you on the BCG I got 2 LMT FA BCG's for $205 shipped months ago. I just can't seem to find that deal anywhere else for some reason:confused:

Ace LTD. usa has a closeout stock for $32 then they sell you the tube and spring for $15, add a h buffer for $18 = $65

If you shop there are some decent deals out there, I have been building a budget ar for awhile and finally have all the parts. (other than the barrel) All is high quality (CDD,LMT,stag) but you have to sit and watch the piss out of the forums for that "deal". I have about $400 in mine complete and 85% is brand new.

Used Quality parts are always a good alternative to new low quality ones as well.

halo2304
01-09-09, 23:11
Here's the latest update.

I have my Vltor CAS-M in black, Finally! :cool: Man, it's every bit of awesome as I thought and more! My concern will be whether it will fit the 3H Stag upper I have comming.

I also managed to find a Vltor mil-spec buffer tube-just the tube. I'm tracking down the other parts for it, castle nut, spring, etc.

I'm concidering a Magpul MOE stock or CTR. Still thinking.

I'm also trying to track down the front sight for the CASV. What rear BUIS should I be looking at? My local gun shop has one from a S&W (made by Troy, nice, but a little stiff.)

halo2304
01-25-09, 00:47
Ok, I managed to make a few adjustments to my build project.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/halo2304/Guns/IMG_0514.jpg
The changes are:
1) MIAD grip
2) RRA's winter trigger guard
3) VLTOR mil-spec tube
4) Single point sling adaptor (can't remember the maker)

I almost bought a Magpul CTR stock at a gun show last weekend but they only had tan. (It's called an Evil BLACK Rifle for a reason!) Oh well.