PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Familiar Concerning Current IDF Issue, U.S. M-4 Carbines & Variants ?

dpast32
03-31-22, 11:52
Hello Guys, I just happened to be reading over something pertaining to the I.D.F.'s U.S. manufactured M-4 Carbines, & based on what I've seen in the accompanying photos, these weapons appear to all need an Arsenal overhaul, or at least least refinishing. Hopefully they're all still fully functional, & simply are in need of a bath & a 'dip', but most of them appear seriously worn ? And, haven't we been reading about their intention to drop the recently adopted TAVOR Series, in preference of the USGI M-4 Series ? Can anyone comment on this fact ? THANKS

Best, Dom P.

markm
03-31-22, 12:07
They do have a lot of weird set ups. But I don't know why finish wear would need to be addressed.

Hank6046
03-31-22, 13:04
Hello Guys, I just happened to be reading over something pertaining to the I.D.F.'s U.S. manufactured M-4 Carbines, & based on what I've seen in the accompanying photos, these weapons appear to all need an Arsenal overhaul, or at least least refinishing. Hopefully they're all still fully functional, & simply are in need of a bath & a 'dip', but most of them appear seriously worn ?

Didn't they just follow the Air Force method and replace worn part after worn part until they had an amalgamation different setups and manufactures? For me that would have been a nightmare for the armorers and gunsmiths, but cheaper than replacing a rifle once the barrel was warn out

dpast32
03-31-22, 15:38
No, I admit finish wear, if that's all it is, & the only issue, it's an negligible one. But, when I see such obviously older weapons remains in general issue, it makes me wonder if they do have a current inspection , & or arsenal refurbishment plan in place. In fact, that's basically why I inquired ? And now, it at least 'appears' as if they're attempting to dump the recently adopted TAVOR, & go full issue with our M-4 Series ? Up until recently, I was under the impression that just 'some' select Israeli units preferred, & were authorized the M-4's, although that 'may' be changing, although until I actually see the transfer in effect, I'll just take the 'wait & see' approach.

JediGuy
04-01-22, 04:49
A little Google-fu suggests immediate denial from the IDF after news about replacing the Tavor came out last September.

Alpha-17
04-01-22, 07:55
And, haven't we been reading about their intention to drop the recently adopted TAVOR Series, in preference of the USGI M-4 Series ? Can anyone comment on this fact ? THANKS

That's the first I've heard of that. Got anything solid on that? Sounds like the BS "Britain to readopt the FAL" bit that went around for a while a year or so ago.

Screwball
04-01-22, 08:18
A little Google-fu suggests immediate denial from the IDF after news about replacing the Tavor came out last September.

That’s correct…

I doubt you’ll see Israel saying they are dropping the Tavor anytime soon. They are proud of it and it is a good rifle. But it is heavy. And my main issue was related to suppression.

That being said, I traded my Tavor SAR for a 20” NM AR. It was a good rifle, but in the end of the day, I could do everything that gun did with an AR of some type. To me, it was more worth it to just standardize on the AR completely than to have a bullpup that took AR magazines. A Colt 6920 was picked up to use the Aimpoint and Surefire light that were on the Tavor…

TMS951
04-01-22, 18:36
I would think IDF guns are carried constantly and almost never fired. Kind of like police side arms.

So they get tons of surface ware and little mechanical ware.

Dan_B
04-03-22, 16:40
I would think IDF guns are carried constantly and almost never fired. Kind of like police side arms.

So they get tons of surface ware and little mechanical ware.

You would think wrong. Guns carried and almost never fired… good grief.

HKGuns
04-03-22, 17:10
The Israelis are very proud and intelligent. They understand better than anyone that reliance on anyone but yourself is a fools errand. They learned that the hardest way possible.

They won’t be dumping the Tavor for anything, unless it is produced in Israel and don’t believe everything you read on the internet or MSM.

I’ll be keeping my Tavor, as it is a unique, well designed and reliable platform.

Dan_B
04-03-22, 17:24
The Israelis are very proud and intelligent. They understand better than anyone that reliance on anyone but yourself is a fools errand. They learned that the hardest way possible.

They won’t be dumping the Tavor for anything, unless it is produced in Israel and don’t believe everything you read on the internet or MSM.

I’ll be keeping my Tavor, as it is a unique, well designed and reliable platform.

Very well said

C-grunt
04-04-22, 17:49
Speaking to friends that have visited somewhat recently or have family there, I think their reserves or National Guard types still have some old M4s. But their main service rifle is the Tavor.

Dan_B
04-04-22, 21:28
Speaking to friends that have visited somewhat recently or have family there, I think their reserves or National Guard types still have some old M4s. But their main service rifle is the Tavor.

At the end of their mandatory or extended IDF service, people become members of the Reserves. That is the primary fighting force in times of war.

Weapons are generally unit based. Infantry folks mostly carry Tavor. Specialty units are more often use M4s, and others, depending on specific tasks have a mix. Reserves get whatever is in storage and as time goes by, more will get whatever is in use most often. Exceptions based on task and type of service `

Dan_B
04-09-22, 11:08
There was a terrorist attack in Tel Aviv. The bastard killed and wounded several people, and then escaped on foot.

The IDF was called in, with members from all three tier one units. This was taken in the area.

Image from daily news: loading from remote link fails to display.

The event ended with the termination of the terrorist

Stickman
04-09-22, 13:07

With friends like, Obama, Biden and Harris, it is something they are reminded of on a regular basis. That being said, it is my understanding that the higher speed units still use the M4.

C-grunt
04-09-22, 13:34
it is my understanding that the higher speed units still use the M4.

That seems to be very common amongst the western militaries. Even if the country has a pretty good service rifle, the guys who can more or less choose what they want are using a M4/416 variant of some sort.