PDA

View Full Version : Replacing my flip up rear with a fixed?

Hellfire
12-17-08, 23:05
I have a Noveske N4 light carbine, basic with the Troy flip up rear and fixed A tower front sight. I would like to add a fixed rear sight, and was wondering if the Centurion C4 Diopter rear would work with my fixed front.? Any opinions on the C4 rear?

MisterWilson
12-17-08, 23:29
I would *highly* recommend the LMT fixed rear BUIS. I honestly can't imagine one any better, and they're priced pretty reasonably too, moreso if you can find a gently used one.

Hellfire
12-17-08, 23:32
I would *highly* recommend the LMT fixed rear BUIS. I honestly can't imagine one any better, and they're priced pretty reasonably too, moreso if you can find a gently used one.
Thank you for your reply, I will look into the LMT. I'm not set on any one design, just need a fixed rear that will mount on a flat top upper and be rugged. Thanks.

ST911
12-17-08, 23:33
I use and recommend the Larue BUIS.

The LMT is fine too, if one requires or desires elevation adjustment.

Hellfire
12-17-08, 23:34

I'll look at that as well, don't need elevation, just windage.

YVK
12-17-08, 23:36
I have a Noveske N4 light carbine, basic with the Troy flip up rear and fixed A tower front sight. I would like to add a fixed rear sight, and was wondering if the Centurion C4 Diopter rear would work with my fixed front.? Any opinions on the C4 rear?

In my experience, they will not work well with standard height front sights. This is in contrast to what it says on Centurion Arms website:

"Both front and rear sights are also compatible with any standard AR-15/M4 sights, including any standard height back up iron sights or the detachable carry handle rear sights".

However, C4s, at least, the set that I have, are clearly few millimeters lower than Troy flip-ups (both rear and front). As a frame of reference, Troys will provide lower 1/3 co-witness with Aimpoint M4 in tall Larue mount. C4s provide lower 1/5, that is, they are barely seen. On the other hand, C4s are at perfect lower 1/3 in standard Aimpoint QRP2 mount which is few millimeters lower than tall Larue.

Otherwise, I really like Centurion Arms sights. Monty is an Industry Professional here, I think he goes by grinch; you may want to pm him.

PS. I think the beauty of diopter sights is in fixed position of front sight post inside the round front sight. If you're using standard FSB, it'll probably be irrelevant what rear sight you're going to use, as long as it is robust and has a desired feature set.

thorm001
12-18-08, 07:15
I also recommend LaRue or LMT.

CarlosDJackal
12-18-08, 11:11

+1 on the Larue BUIS. Not only is it very minimalist and unobtrusive, it also retains zero when you take it off the rifle (at least it has for me).

Kevin
12-18-08, 12:33
Let me know if you want to sell the Troy rear!

Submariner
12-18-08, 14:56
If you really want to use irons, put Paul Howe's CSAT in an LT103.

Keep the Troy, though, as you may not like clutter in your Aimpoint.

lindertw
12-18-08, 17:31
another vote for LaRue...

http://tinyurl.com/6c6h8l

Hellfire
12-18-08, 18:23
If you really want to use irons, put Paul Howe's CSAT in an LT103.

Keep the Troy, though, as you may not like clutter in your Aimpoint.

I'll look into this set up as well. I like the notch/peep combo, seems like it would work well. Thanks for the input everyone. I have learned a lot from this site and I have paid attention to all the advice I've been given.