PDA

View Full Version : Smith Vortex Install

Wow
04-02-22, 23:56
https://i.imgur.com/WmqUuOA.png

I know the Vortex is supposed to be put on hand tight and then shot to get it down proper.

This is as far as I am getting it with hand tight. I can get it a little further with a wrench but I wonder if the threads inside the Vortex are effed up. I know the barrel threads are fine because others screw on without a hiccup.

Do I have a messed up Smith Vortex?

grizzman
04-03-22, 00:02
If that's all the further you can screw it on with your hand, don't use a wrench....something is definitely messed up with it.

mark5pt56
04-03-22, 06:33
High probability it's threads are the wrong pitch

bamashooter
04-03-22, 07:03
I'd be chasing the threads or if needed, have someone do it for you. I'd first take a peek for any observables.

26 Inf
04-07-22, 18:04
The threads are 1/2-28. Shouldn't be too hard to find a 1/2-28 bolt to check the threads on the Vortex.

No doubt you paid between $50 and $90 for it, so if that bolt doesn't screw in easily, I'd return it.

If you are going to chase the threads in the vortex, you'll need to use a bottoming tap. For the barrel, a standard die will work.

As, I said if it doesn't screw on, I'd return it. Speaking from experience, LOL.

Wow
04-07-22, 18:10
I sent it back to vortex. They made me pay for the shipping there which is kinda lame.