PDA

View Full Version : BCM grip screwdriver size for installation screw.

Cane55
04-07-22, 21:41
I have to install a BCM MOD 3 grip and it comes with a regular flat, slotted screw (not the milspec one) and on its website (and BCM CS didn’t even know - I found out via email with them) I need to know the size of the screwdriver end (not the length). There’s a million different screwdriver sizes on Amazon and don’t want to get the wrong size and not have it fit, or be too small and then strip it. Does anyone know the exact flat head screwdriver size/mode that will install the BCM grip installation screw that comes with the grip? Thanks in advance guys.

HKGuns
04-07-22, 22:09
Spend $3 on a screw with a hex head. I grew tired of chasing slotted screws in grips quite a long time ago.

GRIP Screws I have in Stock (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grip-components/ar-15-pistol-grip-screw-prod138989.aspx)

markm
04-07-22, 23:09
I've used a good amount of incorrect slotted tips over the years and never had a problem. Yeah... too big is worthless, but that's pretty uncommon.

Cane55
04-07-22, 23:24
I've used a good amount of incorrect slotted tips over the years and never had a problem. Yeah... too big is worthless, but that's pretty uncommon.

So what’s the correct size?

Steve-0-
04-08-22, 01:20
Brownells has the correct magna-tip bit that will fit tight into the head of a USGI grip screw. I want to say its a 340 series.

Cane55
04-08-22, 02:38
Thanks guys. I figured it out it’s a 5/16” inch flathead at the length of your choosing. I still don’t know why BCM just didn’t stick with the milspec screw. Appreciate all your advice.

Steve-0-
04-08-22, 03:43
Thanks guys. I figured it out it’s a 5/16” inch flathead at the length of your choosing. I still don’t know why BCM just didn’t stick with the milspec screw. Appreciate all your advice.

their screw is the milspec one. Same as colt, ect.. Schmid provides them with their LPK parts or you can get them from mcmaster-carr.

Cane55
04-08-22, 05:28
their screw is the milspec one. Same as colt, ect.. Schmid provides them with their LPK parts or you can get them from mcmaster-carr.

With their gunfighter MOD 3 grips it’s a flat head screwdriver kind, not the cap screw kind. I just bought the grip alone, not one of their LPK’s. But even still, I don’t know why they still wouldn’t use the 3/16 one.

Cane55
04-08-22, 05:30
Spend $3 on a screw with a hex head. I grew tired of chasing slotted screws in grips quite a long time ago.

That’s a great point. I wish they just included them to begin with, so much easier.

prepare
04-08-22, 05:55
The Stanley FatMax 5/16 flathead is perfect for grip screws.

Steve-0-
04-08-22, 07:53
With their gunfighter MOD 3 grips it’s a flat head screwdriver kind, not the cap screw kind. I just bought the grip alone, not one of their LPK’s. But even still, I don’t know why they still wouldn’t use the 3/16 one.

Lets have a reality check. Its the same damn screw for all gunfighter grips and a2 grips

One More Time
04-08-22, 08:52
A screw installation tool makes it easy.

bamashooter
04-08-22, 08:59
My PSAs all came with the vastly superior and highly preferred allen grip screw. Definitely recommend deep sixing that slotted garbage. Which is exactly what I did with my Colts (screws).

P2Vaircrewman
04-08-22, 10:01

GRIP Screws I have in Stock (https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grip-components/ar-15-pistol-grip-screw-prod138989.aspx)

This ^, a hex Allen socket screw and a long hex Allen wrench makes it easy.

BobinNC
04-08-22, 10:05
So the OP Cane55 has not only asked what screw driver to use here, but also on TOS.

Taking the screw down to the local hardware store to find a screw driver that fits apparently eludes him, and he's willing to pay more than $6.00 to buy one.

Of course I told him on TOS to go to the local hardware store to buy a SS ¼”-28 x 7/8” Allen head screw that takes a Hex Key Size: 3/16" and should cost him less than $2.00.

But no, he's still trying to find a screw driver that fits on two forums.....SMH

Steve-0-
04-08-22, 10:39
So lets go arfcom route instead of getting him the right bit for any USGI spec screw...

Okay then

grizzman
04-08-22, 10:45
I suggest taking the lower receiver to a local gunsmith to have them replace the grip. The use of the incorrect driver will surely damage the screw beyond repair, and render the rifle inoperable.....just not worth the risk.

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-08-22, 13:03
Lol wut? Take it to a gunsmith? We're talking about installing a pistol grip.

grizzman
04-08-22, 13:09
Yep, a task that seems to be rather difficult for the OP to accomplish.

Seriously, if the OP doesn't have a variety of driver bits, buying a set of different sizes that also includes Torx and Phillips would be a much wiser purchase than one bit or screwdriver. Naturally, a bit driver that's long enough to reach the screw will also be needed.

HKGuns
04-08-22, 14:37
Yep, a task that seems to be rather difficult for the OP to accomplish.

Seriously, if the OP doesn't have a variety of driver bits, buying a set of different sizes that also includes Torx and Phillips would be a much wiser purchase than one bit or screwdriver. Naturally, a bit driver that's long enough to reach the screw will also be needed.

Woah! You’re talking big $$ now! :)

grizzman
04-08-22, 14:42
Or.........

I've got numerous slotted grip screws in a bag, but none in my ARs.

Cane55
04-08-22, 14:46

Your 100% correct. I scoured the internet and the original milspec is a slotted screw for the pistol grip. I have plenty of tools however I don’t have flathead 5/16” six inch screwdriver, so I didn’t want to use a smaller, loser screwdriver and potentially mar or damage the screw since the build isn’t exactly bottom dollar.

Entryteam
04-08-22, 16:33
Lol wut? Take it to a gunsmith? We're talking about installing a pistol grip.

Yeah, I really gotta be missing something, cause I have never had an issue changing grips at all.

Inkslinger
04-08-22, 16:49
Yeah, I really gotta be missing something, cause I have never had an issue changing grips at all.

Neither have I, and I do it with whatever screwdriver looks close enough to get the job done. I’ve never once thought about what the correct size was. And as far as hex heads go, it’s a lot easier to round one of those out than it would be to jack up the slotted grip screw to the point where you couldn’t still get it out. I’m guessing that’s why the milspec ones are slotted.

ST911
04-08-22, 18:40
I prefer slotted screws for the readily available drivers.

04-08-22, 19:08
I know nothing about the TDP for this, but I have a #41584 1/4” Craftsman that fits both Colts and BCMs.

Before we judge the OP, let us remember that sometimes things are not quite as obvious as they seem with screwdrivers. For example, many people malign the shitty soft Phillips screws on Japanese motorcycle carb bowls, when the real problem is that the screws are JIS, not Phillips and many among us are too ignorant/stupid to use the correct tool. And I’ve found myself occasionally grinding flatheads to be better fits on slotted screws. Hell, you’ll note that gunsmithing screwdrivers have a totally different shape to the blade than Stanleys and Craftsmans.

mark5pt56
04-09-22, 06:23
A sliver of duct tape or even some folded paper would solve your problems fairly easily. Most do have that lying about or use a BFSD-one with a flat blade of course

pinzgauer
04-09-22, 07:48
I prefer slotted screws for the readily available drivers.Which was my rationalization as to why Colt used (and uses) a slotted screw from the very beginning.

Much more difficult to install in an automated line, so they had to use it for a reason.

As much easier as hex is to install / remove, I've used the slots if that's what it came with. Really no big deal.

P2Vaircrewman
04-09-22, 08:21
Those hex grip screws affect accuracy, don't use them if you expect to get 1 MOA. I can't believe 3 pages on grip screw.

One More Time
04-09-22, 08:23
A bit driver with a magnet and a good bit set isn't that much.
Good sets will have hollow ground bits.
https://i.imgur.com/yELiOYDl.jpg

I picked up a nice set from the Mac guy that has bits for fasteners I haven't seen.
No Torx Plus though, which sucks as I'm seeing stuff with TP fasteners and had to get a TP20 and TP25.
Those will screw up your day if you don't pay attention.

Cane55
04-10-22, 05:37
Those hex grip screws affect accuracy, don't use them if you expect to get 1 MOA. I can't believe 3 pages on grip screw.

How does the grip screw affect accuracy?

Cane55
04-10-22, 06:00
Which was my rationalization as to why Colt used (and uses) a slotted screw from the very beginning.

Much more difficult to install in an automated line, so they had to use it for a reason.

As much easier as hex is to install / remove, I've used the slots if that's what it came with. Really no big deal.

What size screwdriver did you use when you installed the slotted screws? I got a 5/16”th’s by 6 inches (which is wide enough for the screw, but is a little too thin and rattles up and down). What did/do you use? Thanks.

pag23
04-10-22, 06:33
I prefer slotted screws.. easy to install in my opinion and a common type of screwdriver available

P2Vaircrewman
04-10-22, 09:55
How does the grip screw affect accuracy?

Sarcasm my friend.

Cane55
04-10-22, 12:52
Sarcasm my friend.

lol. You got me. Well done.

Cane55
04-10-22, 12:53
I prefer slotted screws.. easy to install in my opinion and a common type of screwdriver available

Can’t argue with that.

Cane55
04-10-22, 12:57
FYI - I spoke to BCM and they said they use a 3/8” screw. So there’s the answer. You can use smaller ones to get the job done I suppose, but the exact screwdriver would be a slotted 3/8” (for all other milspec too).

prepare
04-10-22, 13:25
This works well for holding the mil- spec grip screw to get it started.

pinzgauer
04-10-22, 16:18
What size screwdriver did you use when you installed the slotted screws? I got a 5/16”th’s by 6 inches (which is wide enough for the screw, but is a little too thin and rattles up and down). What did/do you use? Thanks.The large slotted screw on the common reversible four in one screwdriver. It also happens to be hollow ground.

prepare
04-11-22, 07:02
Did the A2 grip screw change to the socket head style screw?

556Cliff
04-11-22, 08:25
Did the A2 grip screw change to the socket head style screw?

Not that I'm aware. Colt is still using the same stainless Fillister head slotted screw and lock washer that they always have.

prepare
04-12-22, 18:09

Do you know the McMaster part # for the grip screw?

Cane55
04-12-22, 19:49
Does the locking washer that comes with the BCM grip have a certain way it’s supposed to go - up or down? Before I’d just install it and didn’t think it made a difference but now with all of this technical knowledge I’m learning from you guys I’m worried if I install it upside down & there’s one side that’s specifically made to go into the plastic grip etc. or are they ambidextrous? I’ve looked at both sides with my untrained eyes to death and can’t tell the difference. Thanks in advance for anyone that knows.

HKGuns
04-12-22, 20:27
Does the locking washer that comes with the BCM grip have a certain way it’s supposed to go - up or down? Before I’d just install it and didn’t think it made a difference but now with all of this technical knowledge I’m learning from you guys I’m worried if I install it upside down & there’s one side that’s specifically made to go into the plastic grip etc. or are they ambidextrous? I’ve looked at both sides with my untrained eyes to death and can’t tell the difference. Thanks in advance for anyone that knows.

- Ambi -

Five_Point_Five_Six
04-12-22, 21:08
Five pages for a grip screw thread. What a time to be alive.

grizzman
04-12-22, 21:15
I’m waiting for the torque spec question.

…..or can Loctite be used if the lock washer has been lost?

ssc
04-12-22, 21:46
:rolleyes:
I miss IG.

I'm sure we can get 10 pages, so carry on.

556Cliff
04-12-22, 23:02

You can use blue Loctite, it's just more of a pain in the butt to remove later on if you need to. And the answer to the torque spec question is 35 inch pounds (considering a 1" inch length screw). It's not an official TM listed spec, but it seems to be the sweet spot and I've used it since Bill Alexander posted that number on here quite a few years ago.

Here's a link to that... https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?1921-Pistol-grip-screw

And here's where I reconfirmed the number a few years later... https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Pistol-grip-screw-torque-spec-/431-207561/

Steve-0-
04-13-22, 04:06
As Will would say... Get the right tool and a new star washer and get the screw gud-un-tite. There is no torque spec. Its a steel washer digging into plastic ffs.

HKGuns
04-13-22, 06:20

I reverse torque check all my grip screws at 30 in/#. I mean if that grip comes off you basically have a club.:jester:

P2Vaircrewman
04-13-22, 10:00

Pretty amaizing.

markm
04-13-22, 10:04

I just clicked on this to see what in the speshul olympics hell was going on to keep this thing going. :fie:

556Cliff
04-13-22, 11:00

6 pages here and 3 pages over in it's companion thread on ARFCOM... So 9 pages all together. C'mon guys! Why the lack of curiosity? Hasn't your mind ever started to wonder while looking down into the near bottomless hollow of a pistol grip? I know mine sure has. :confused:

https://i.imgur.com/EXaCAPOl.jpg

ChattanoogaPhil
04-13-22, 11:12
The last grip screw I used was combo head, hex and slot. Allows the user to booger it up with the wrong tool, twice.

pag23
04-13-22, 19:24
I wonder if they would make a T40 Torx head in stainless steel with a slotted cut for a flathead....

Lol

joedirt199
04-13-22, 21:56
How long is the thread about buffer weight placement and milspec roll pins? You guys are thorough.

Cane55
04-15-22, 02:19
I reverse torque check all my grip screws at 30 in/#. I mean if that grip comes off you basically have a club.:jester:

BCM wrote me back about the amount to torque:

“Torque should be no more than 55 in-lbs. We usually recommend install hand tight plus a ¼ to a ½ turn.”

556Cliff
04-15-22, 09:00
BCM wrote me back about the amount to torque:

“Torque should be no more than 55 in-lbs. We usually recommend install hand tight plus a ¼ to a ½ turn.”

That's a bit on the high side, but less than what Colt listed in their 6940 manual (65 inch pounds)... They are both too high and don't really take into account the fact that they are clamping a thin shelf of polymer IMO.

Most AR manufacturers are just installing the grip screw by hand on their assembly lines with no torque spec, so keep that in mind.

markm
04-15-22, 11:08
This might be the dumbest threat in M4carbean history.

556Cliff
04-15-22, 11:21

Nah, pretty much any thread about MLOK or KEYMOD handguards takes the crown. ;)

Second place goes to the A5 threads that basically have people going into black magic to get their guns to run. :fie:

prepare
04-15-22, 12:39
Doesn’t look like McMaster has the milspec version.

Cane55
04-16-22, 06:38

I think that prize goes to the gun lube wars. Remember how long the Fireclean thread was & all of the insane fights? That was still the craziest, wackiest thread I’ve ever seen.

prepare
04-18-22, 12:52
McMaster has the mil spec star washer but it says made in Taiwan...how can that be? A mil part number made in Taiwan? MS-35335/NASM 35335

ggp2jz
04-18-22, 13:20
https://media0.giphy.com/media/7GPV80dC4GCNq/200.gif

556Cliff
04-18-22, 13:33
McMaster has the mil spec star washer but it says made in Taiwan...how can that be? A mil part number made in Taiwan? MS-35335/NASM 35335

You can get the correct screw and lock washer from Colt through Brownells. I'd imagine that the Colt parts are made here in the USA.

prepare
04-18-22, 13:42
You can get the correct screw and lock washer from Colt through Brownells. I'd imagine that the Colt parts are made here in the USA.

I know, but if you want to stock a box of 25 to have on hand Brownells does not have good pricing. Just got off the phone with McMaster and they dont have a single 1/4 star washer made in USA.

Wonder where manufactures source them?

556Cliff
04-18-22, 14:37
I know, but if you want to stock a box of 25 to have on hand Brownells does not have good pricing. Just got off the phone with McMaster and they dont have a single 1/4 star washer made in USA.

Wonder where manufactures source them?

Yeah, the Brownells prices on anything Colt are not the best. There's Specialized armament and G&R Tactical that usually beat Brownells on prices, but not by much. And G&R never has the Colt grip screws and lock washers.

prepare
04-18-22, 14:46
Yeah, the Brownells prices on anything Colt are not the best. There's Specialized armament and G&R Tactical that usually beat Brownells on prices, but not by much. And G&R never has the Colt grip screws and lock washers.

There's no way to know for sure if they're made in America ether since they don't list any details.

556Cliff
04-18-22, 14:57
There's no way to know for sure if they're made in America ether since they don't list any details.

True, in that case I'd buy them from Specialized Armament because they are likely older stock and more likely made in the USA.

prepare
04-18-22, 16:33
It also appears that the star washer comes with external or internal locking teeth and I see both regularly.

Magpul screws are only 3/4" long and they come with a thread locking patch that eliminates the use of the star washer.

BCM screws are the traditional 1" long Fillister head slotted screw and they use the star washer with the external locking teeth.

SOLGW screws are a 1" long 18-8 stainless screw with a 3/16 hex head that also comes with a thread locking patch and no star washer is needed.

grizzlyblake
04-18-22, 19:50
I just swapped my BCM mod 0 for a mod 1 tonight. It had a mod 3 originally. I just grabbed the half rusted pretty big flat head screwdriver from my old tool box and did it in 30 seconds. I tightened it “pretty tight” like I always do. I guess I should’ve checked here first.

556Cliff
04-18-22, 20:41
It also appears that the star washer comes with external or internal locking teeth and I see both regularly.

Magpul screws are only 3/4" long and they come with a thread locking patch that eliminates the use of the star washer.

BCM screws are the traditional 1" long Fillister head slotted screw and they use the star washer with the external locking teeth.

SOLGW screws are a 1" long 18-8 stainless screw with a 3/16 hex head that also comes with a thread locking patch and no star washer is needed.

I'm not really a fan of the internal toothed lock washers when the clamping surface is plastic (they can grip onto socket head cap screws and burrow right through the grip like a drill of sorts without ever feeling like they are getting tight). However, they are the correct choice for the Fillister head and socket head cap screws.

I'm also not a fan of using the Fillister head and socket head cap screws unless backed by a half inch diameter flat washer. The small diameter heads on those screws just don't offer enough support.

The Magpul screw is great, I just wish they offered it in a 1" inch length version.

P2Vaircrewman
04-19-22, 09:10
How many here have had or have heard of a grip coming off, screw or grip breaking when in use.

04-19-22, 09:24
How many here have had or have heard of a grip coming off, screw or grip breaking when in use.

I’ve had one loosen on me while shooting.

MegademiC
04-19-22, 09:40
I just swapped my BCM mod 0 for a mod 1 tonight. It had a mod 3 originally. I just grabbed the half rusted pretty big flat head screwdriver from my old tool box and did it in 30 seconds. I tightened it “pretty tight” like I always do. I guess I should’ve checked here first.

Good luck with that. Did you even use a mil-spec washer gauge to check it first?

Very common when using non-calibrated screwdrivers.

HKGuns
04-19-22, 13:00

I didn’t notice where they were made and I waited until my order arrived to know they were correct.

McMaster-Carr part number: 97775A330

prepare
04-19-22, 14:59
I didn’t notice where they were made and I waited until my order arrived to know they were correct.

Yep, those are made in Taiwan.

prepare
04-19-22, 15:05

I’m stocking up on common parts for my shop.

ChattanoogaPhil
04-19-22, 19:57
What happens if ya use a Harbor Freight screwdriver instead of Proto?

HKGuns
04-19-22, 20:12

That would clearly be disastrous. Probably need to junk the entire lower.

Inkslinger
04-19-22, 20:20

Hell the last one I put on I didn’t even use a high quality Harbor Freight. Instead of going to get a screwdriver from my tool box I used a rusty 4 in 1 that I keep in the kitchen junk drawer.

Buckaroo
04-19-22, 20:22
Hell the last one I put on I didn’t even use a high quality Harbor Freight. Instead of going to get a screwdriver from my tool box I used a rusty 4 in 1 that I keep in the kitchen junk drawer.

Heathen, I'm not sure if I can follow this thread anymore
So sad how far some have fallen

ChattanoogaPhil
04-19-22, 20:26
Very common when using non-calibrated screwdrivers.

One of the better instructional vids on tool calibration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfQ0NFNF3g

prepare
04-19-22, 20:48

If and when you’re paying someone for services you expect the work you’re have done to be done professionally and to be done right. Roll pins are single use and I don’t knowingly use Chinese replacements.

Often times I’m fixing things that customers have messed up/damaged by attempting to disassemble and lost spring, pins or screws.

556Cliff
04-19-22, 21:30
One of the better instructional vids on tool calibration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfQ0NFNF3g

I didn't expect that type of dialogue when I clicked on the link. Lol! :lol:

Happy owner of CDI, Snap-On and Gedore precision torque instruments here. :laugh:

prepare
04-22-22, 04:28

These are correct also per mil Part # MS35335-61 TYPE B STAINLESS STEEL

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/04-03969.php

I called and confirmed that they are made in the USA

HKGuns
04-22-22, 06:40
These are correct also per mil Part # MS35335-61 TYPE B STAINLESS STEEL

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/04-03969.php

I called and confirmed that they are made in the USA

Thanks.

Sanford02
04-22-22, 09:47
It's amazing how much I have learned from this thread. There is so much that I still don't know about...I'm amazed sometimes that any of my guns run at all, much less as well as they do. I just ordered a mil-spec washer gauge from Numrich.

prepare
04-22-22, 11:50
SOLGW is very responsive. Here is the link to their new grip screw. There's even a discount if/when you buy in bulk. I believe these come with a thread locking patch pre applied so the star washer is not required.
I hope its US made?

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/shop/grip-screw-stainless-hex/

Description-

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/IMG_2787-scaled.jpg

4140 STEEL

HEX AND FLAT COMBO HEAD

BLACK OXIDE FINISH

Here at Sons we have been underwhelmed by the options on the market for grip screws. Screws that were either unavailable in the quantities we needed or lacked the features we expected in a grip screw.

We solved this issue by developing our own screw. Made from rock hard hard steel and coated with black oxide, our new screw is everything you want in a grip screw. Providing strength and two drive options for shop and field optimization.

556Cliff
04-22-22, 12:04
SOLGW is very responsive. Here is the link to their new grip screw. There's even a discount if/when you buy in bulk. I believe these come with a thread locking patch pre applied so the star washer is not required.
I hope its US made?

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/shop/grip-screw-stainless-hex/

Description-

https://sonsoflibertygw.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/IMG_2787-scaled.jpg

4140 STEEL

HEX AND FLAT COMBO HEAD

BLACK OXIDE FINISH

Here at Sons we have been underwhelmed by the options on the market for grip screws. Screws that were either unavailable in the quantities we needed or lacked the features we expected in a grip screw.

We solved this issue by developing our own screw. Made from rock hard hard steel and coated with black oxide, our new screw is everything you want in a grip screw. Providing strength and two drive options for shop and field optimization.

Well that's Interesting (to me), and it's pretty similar to the Magpul grip screw... This may be the perfection in a grip screw that I've been wanting for quite a few years now. :smile: Last I knew they were using a stainless socket head cap screw with locking patch and an internal toothed lock washer. Actually, both of those are still on the Brownells site.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grip-components/ar-15-pistol-grip-screw-prod138989.aspx

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grip-components/ar-15-pistol-grip-lock-washer-prod138990.aspx

prepare
04-22-22, 12:33
SOLGW site is down but this is apparently a new screw design for them.

556Cliff
04-22-22, 13:29
SOLGW site is down but this is apparently a new screw design for them.

I'm just glad that SOLGW was willing to look into the grip screw (much like Magpul) to update it with modern enhancements, even though it seems like many would argue the worth of doing so.

A2 stock screws could certainly benefit from some modernization as well, but not many outside of the "retro" cloning crowd are using A2 stocks anymore.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-22-22, 14:08

Carb-eye-n…

M90A1
04-25-22, 20:25
Just to add a little fuel to the fire. The best fitting bits for a replaceable bit screwdriver are the ones made by Brownells or Wheeler that were designed for Leupold or Buehler scope rings. They fit perfectly in Magpul or Colt style screws. Brownells part number is 080-430-430WB. I have no idea if Wheeler sells individual bits.

DG23
04-25-22, 22:29
Carb-eye-n…

Said while holding a banjo...

:)

lysander
04-28-22, 09:50
Because the specification defines how the part is made and what assurances there are to guarantee the quality. They do not specify where it shall be made.

(Most "mil-specs" are actually industry specifications based on older military specifications, adopted by the DoD.)

prepare
04-28-22, 13:09
Because the specification defines how the part is made and what assurances there are to guarantee the quality. They do not specify where it shall be made.

(Most "mil-specs" are actually industry specifications based on older military specifications, adopted by the DoD.)

I hope the military is not dependent on China and Taiwan for their war fighting material.

HKGuns
04-28-22, 14:15
Just to add a little fuel to the fire. The best fitting bits for a replaceable bit screwdriver are the ones made by Brownells or Wheeler that were designed for Leupold or Buehler scope rings. They fit perfectly in Magpul or Colt style screws. Brownells part number is 080-430-430WB. I have no idea if Wheeler sells individual bits.

The Wheeler bit that fits best is 424-466.

DG23
04-28-22, 18:59
I hope the military is not dependent on China and Taiwan for their war fighting material.

A good way to ponder that idea is to simply ask yourself 'What DO we manufacture 100% here in the USA still?'.

Cane55
04-28-22, 21:18

I searched brownells & Wheeler’s website for that part and nothing came up. Do you know who sells that part? Thanks.

HKGuns
04-29-22, 07:16
I searched brownells & Wheeler’s website for that part and nothing came up. Do you know who sells that part? Thanks.

It is part of this set that used to be available on Brownells.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220429/a2ee199875731c05cd8bf36ffd4bfdbd.jpg

M90A1
04-30-22, 22:11

I listed the Brownells part number for the bit above.

Cane55
05-01-22, 10:23
I listed the Brownells part number for the bit above.

Nothing comes up on either Brownells or Wheelers website with 424-466. It must only be available as part of a set as said above.

M90A1
05-01-22, 10:42
Nothing comes up on either Brownells or Wheelers website with 424-466. It must only be available as part of a set as said above.

The number I listed in post #94 is for the Brownells bit, not the Wheeler. 080-430-430WB Both company's bits were made for the same purpose.

HKGuns
05-01-22, 10:44

Try either a #41 flathead or dimensions of width .340 depth .070 thickness .060 which are the specs of this specific bit.

M90A1
05-01-22, 11:02

The Wheeler bit that is the best fit is the 608-712. I believe it comes only in the largest Wheeler set and in one of their accessory kits. The width of the slot in a Colt type screw is approx. .0740" and the Magpul is about .0800"

424-466 .0600" thick
608-712 .0695"-.0700" thick

I've been using the Brownells bit for these screws for about 30 years. Never found anything better.

Cane55
07-20-22, 07:03

SOLGW has come out with a seemingly great screw that does both.

AndyLate
07-20-22, 07:08
Do we really live in a world where an adult doesn't own a straight screwdriver?

I know, properly fitting screwdriver, etc. Its a grip screw, who cares if it gets a little mangled?

Andy

556Cliff
07-20-22, 08:31
Do we really live in a world where an adult doesn't own a straight screwdriver?

I know, properly fitting screwdriver, etc. Its a grip screw, who cares if it gets a little mangled?

Andy

I will not allow an improperly fitting screwdriver anywhere near my grip screws, or any other screw for that matter. A perfect fit is even more important since you can't really see very well what you're doing down inside the grip. And I very much care if the grip screw drive slot gets a little mangled, I've replaced certain parts for things that were even more hidden and insignificant.

AndyLate
07-20-22, 18:03
I will not allow an improperly fitting screwdriver anywhere near my grip screws, or any other screw for that matter. A perfect fit is even more important since you can't really see very well what you're doing down inside the grip. And I very much care if the grip screw drive slot gets a little mangled, I've replaced certain parts for things that were even more hidden and insignificant.

I have literally hit the range 12 times with an AR since this thread started. Its not rocket science - screw the grip on and go shooting.

Andy

07-20-22, 18:49
I have literally hit the range 12 times with an AR since this thread started. Its not rocket science - screw the grip on and go shooting.

Andy

For a few thousand rounds.

556Cliff
07-20-22, 19:55

Andy

I use any of the 3 on the left for grip screws, but I'm in the habit of using the blue handled CDI so I usually just go with it.

https://i.imgur.com/dxrx9vEl.jpg

Edited for dyslexia, lol!

the AR-15 Junkie
07-20-22, 20:36
I use any of the 3 on the left for grip screws, but I'm in the habit of using the blue handled CDI so I usually just go with it.

You have many nice tools Sir, I like your style.

556Cliff
07-20-22, 22:15
You have many nice tools Sir, I like your style.

From one quality tool enthusiast to another, thank you and back at ya! ;)

And it's not that I haven't installed grip screws without a torque screwdriver, I certainly have, but I like to get them to 35 inch pounds. There's been a few times that I thought I did a good enough job just by feel alone, but when I double checked with the torque screwdriver they were slightly below that magical number. Apparently my feel isn't perfect, and I bet most people's estimations are off... I use the torque screwdrivers on buttstock screws too.

I actually bought the Gedore torque screwdriver because it goes up past 40 inch pounds. That's the max range of the CDI and they don't make one that goes higher unfortunately.

The Snap-On torque wrenches are awesome too. The bigger (Ft-Lb) one has a scale from 5 to 75 foot pounds and the smaller (In-Lb) one goes from 40 to 200. And I prefer the fixed heads instead of the ratcheting heads for use with all the extended AR wrench adaptors. It just keeps things in line so I don't have the tool spinning around constantly (minor annoyance, but it bugs me). I'd probably get ratcheting heads if I wanted to work on cars, but for ARs I just prefer fixed.

AndyLate
07-21-22, 08:09

https://i.imgur.com/dxrx9vEl.jpg

A bit of a post script - I respect owning quality and correct tools. For a gun owner, buying good tools actually made for firearms is money well spent (screwdrivers/bits particularly). It just seemed the OP was stuck in a loop.

Andy

556Cliff
07-21-22, 08:40
A bit of a post script - I respect owning quality and correct tools. For a gun owner, buying good tools actually made for firearms is money well spent (screwdrivers/bits particularly). It just seemed the OP was stuck in a loop.

Andy

I agree about the OP, he just needs a decent quality screwdriver bit set and it shouldn't be a problem finding a bit to fit most screws. Though you can certainly get carried away with things like this depending on your level of OCD, I know I sure have.

Originally I was only OCD with ARs, but through working on them and putting them together I became just as OCD about the assembly tools.

I know that there are a lot of people that are happy to put an AR together using only a spoon, a couple of toothpicks and a butt vise at their kitchen table, but I just can't fathom that approach. :fie: