PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning patch frustration

PNorris
04-09-22, 18:22
I have used hoppes synthetic cleaning patches for my 223 rifles. They appear to be polyester or some other material.. Apparently, I can only get the cotton ones now and those suckers do not go down the barrel when using a jag. They’re too thick and they won’t go. They get lodged in the barrel just past the chamber. What are other people using that work with a jag, as I’m frustrated that these new patches don’t work at all. Such a simple thing and I can’t get a damn patch down the barrel. Thanks

Red*Lion
04-09-22, 18:49
I just cut down patches that are too big to a smaller workable size. Can be tedious if using a good number of patches, but works.

TomMcC
04-09-22, 18:58
You are using .223 patches? If so, try putting the patch off center on the tip of the jag.

PNorris
04-09-22, 19:00
Yup 223 patches. Tried it with two different 223 jags as well. Same shit. The older patches worked perfect

notorious_ar15
04-09-22, 19:04
Same thing happened to me a few years back (out of stock everywhere). I probably should have looked on Amazon or Ebay. I purchased a couple different brands from the local gun shop & Walmart, one of which fit (maybe Bullseye?). I do prefer the synthetic ones you're referring to though.

PNorris
04-09-22, 19:11
If anyone has one that’s working well let me know. I’ll give it a shot.

Inkslinger
04-09-22, 19:54
I don’t get overly obsessive about cleaning. I drag through one of these a couple times if I want a better cleaning then just using a bore snake. It came in an Otis kit. I just wash it off and use it over and over.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220410/83bf0744f9c9442b1223f0dc42225e3f.jpg

04-09-22, 20:01
Have you considered a smaller jag? I’ve successfully used smaller jags with thicker patches. One made for 5.45 might work well. If you go that route, you’ll want one without the needle tip because it’ll push through the patch with any resistance.

All that said, I try hard to avoid cleaning a gun to the degree that I need jags. I have a bazillion piece set of them in my garage in a tackle box, but I no longer own a rod that works with them in a .223.

flenna
04-09-22, 20:50
I just cut up old t-shirts for patches, been doing that forever. Your bore brush does most of the cleaning and the patch just removes any remaining the solvent.

Coal Dragger
04-10-22, 01:49
I just buy cotton patches sized for .45 caliber bores, and use a sharp pair of scissors to cut them down to whatever size I need for whatever bore I’m cleaning. It takes all of a minute to make more than enough correctly sized patches for whatever I’m cleaning.

This isn’t rocket surgery, all you need is a pair of scissors.

gaijin
04-10-22, 05:17
I just cut down patches that are too big to a smaller workable size. Can be tedious if using a good number of patches, but works.

This. A bit of a PITA, but works.

PNorris
04-10-22, 06:50
Sounds like it’s rocket surgery time. Just a little ridiculous that what they sell as advertised working with the rifle does not.

pag23
04-10-22, 07:11
Ever try. www.swab-its.com

Kind of pricey but you can clean and reuse them...

pag23
04-10-22, 07:11
Dupe post

bamashooter
04-10-22, 08:05
Outers makes a synthetic .17/.22.

markm
04-10-22, 08:54
Slotted tip. Pull patches through.

Sorry that's not your answer, but I hate jags.

markm
04-10-22, 08:54

556Cliff
04-10-22, 12:49

Full agreement, I've found them to be completely unnecessary and pointless anyways... Seriously, what are they accomplishing over a brush and a loop tip for the patches?

HKGuns
04-10-22, 13:11
I don’t use jags, I use slotted tip as well, but push them through.

I prefer cotton over synthetic. Some advertised for .223 need a small slice taken off to work correctly.

Artos
04-10-22, 13:53
I use wipe-out foam & pull the patches through w/ weed wacker string...

Jstud220
04-10-22, 19:45
I haven’t used patches in years. I have caliber specific q tips I use and find they work much better. They are called ramrodz and come in any caliber you can imagine. I put some cleaner or oil on it, stick it halfway in and then use a cleaning rod to push it the remaining length. For pistols to bamboo stick is long enough to just stick it through the barrel without a cleaning rod.

zack991
04-11-22, 11:30
Call me weird but I just use a quality bore snake and when they get worn I get another, they last me a few years and do good for their intent. Pistols I use a simple Winchester cleaning kit that has a cleaning rod and use scrap t shirts as wipes.

BangBang77
04-11-22, 14:42
I'm in the no jag camp. I too use the slotted tips and bore brush on an Otis cleaning kit with the pull-through cable. I have one section of GI cleanit kit rod that I use with a chamber brush to enter from the rear of the upper.

I use patches from old cotton t-shirts in the slotted tip.

On shotguns I just pull a big chuck of t-shirt through the barrel and spray the bolt down with Slip 2000. Maybe hit the bolt face with a GI cleaning kit brush if I'm feeling real groggy. I don't get carried away with cleaning them.