PDA

View Full Version : Taurus PT-92

Slater
04-10-22, 08:19
Or just "Taurus 92" as Taurus calls it these days. I'm starting to see these appear on various sites again, generally in the $480-ish range. Never handled one myself, but from past comments many have called it a poor take on the Beretta 92. Of course, others swear by it.

Is the Taurus 92 worth a look or is QC still suspect with this gun?

BTW, does anyone know what the "AF-D" slide marking means?

https://www.taurususa.com/pistols/taurus-92/taurus-92-matte-black-9mm-luger-full-size-17-rds

Ron3
04-10-22, 10:00
Or just "Taurus 92" as Taurus calls it these days. I'm starting to see these appear on various sites again, generally in the $480-ish range. Never handled one myself, but from past comments many have called it a poor take on the Beretta 92. Of course, others swear by it.

BTW, does anyone know what the "AF-D" slide marking means?

https://www.taurususa.com/pistols/taurus-92/taurus-92-matte-black-9mm-luger-full-size-17-rds

I'm gonna guess:

Alloy Frame, Decocker.

Could be!

GNXII
04-10-22, 12:13
My cousin has an early PT92 (1994-95) with the adjustable rear sight. It was his 1st handgun gun he purchased after moving to Florida. He learned on it a lot, still has it but has moved onto other platforms. When I asked about it, he said never had any problems that weren’t related to bad ammo or bad mags. Doesn’t plan on selling it as he still likes it and takes it out occasionally.

Inkslinger
04-10-22, 12:34
My cousin has an early PT92 (1994-95) with the adjustable rear sight. It was his 1st handgun gun he purchased after moving to Florida. He learned on it a lot, still has it but has moved onto other platforms. When I asked about it, he said never had any problems that weren’t related to bad ammo or bad mags. Doesn’t plan on selling it as he still likes it and takes it out occasionally.

This is my identical experience. When I got mine, 9mm was less than $80 a case. I shot it a lot. I still have it but have not shot it in a long time. I’ll have to dust it off and give it a workout.

Bret
04-11-22, 16:09
I have one as well. Though it's not cosmetically as nice, it's actually significantly more accurate than my Berettas. I definitely prefer the frame mounted safety/decocker over the Beretta's slide mounted ones.

Heavyweight
04-13-22, 09:57
I've got one in a matt nickel finish and frame mounted safety that I bought about 30 years ago. I've been offered stupid money for it but won't ever part with it. I don't recall having a single issue with it.

Stay safe

Heavyweight

TexHill
04-13-22, 13:00
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

Bret
04-13-22, 13:26
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.
Taurus overall doesn't have a good reputation, but these pistols are made on machinery that was originally setup by Beretta. I like my PT92 so much that I bought a PT911. It's basically like a Beretta compact without the open top slide.

Gary1911A1
04-14-22, 07:51
I had one and had no real complaints except the magazines were not interchangeable with Beretta Magazines. I believe it was only the cutout for the magazine release, but that was enough for me to sell it.

04-14-22, 10:38
I know a guy that competes occasionally that uses a pair of mostly stock ones. One has a dot; can’t remember if he put lighter springs in them. He usually gets 1st or 2nd overall in club matches. Its kinda funny since his guns and holster look like ass and he’s an unassuming type. He’s had them for at least several years.

GNXII
04-15-22, 09:23
I had one and had no real complaints except the magazines were not interchangeable with Beretta Magazines. I believe it was only the cutout for the magazine release, but that was enough for me to sell it.

IIRC, there’s was an article that showed a minor mod to 92 series mags to work in both. It’s been a long time so bear with me on it, could be wrong…Come to think of it I’m gonna ask my cousin if he heard the same info and if he has done the same to stock mags.

ThirdWatcher
04-16-22, 01:55
I bought a PT-92 just out of curiosity about ten years ago. It’s a good pistol, only downside is the mags aren’t compatible with my Berettas, also don’t care for the (unsightly) integrated lock on the backstrap.

DG23
04-16-22, 08:51
Or just "Taurus 92" as Taurus calls it these days. I'm starting to see these appear on various sites again, generally in the $480-ish range.

When real Berettas are so close in price and parts for them soooo commonly available and easy to find - Why settle for a clone or copy?

Bret
04-16-22, 11:55
When real Berettas are so close in price and parts for them soooo commonly available and easy to find - Why settle for a clone or copy?
Because it has a frame mounted safety/decocker that Beretta refuses to put on a pistol at a reasonable price.

Ron3
04-16-22, 14:41
Because it has a frame mounted safety/decocker that Beretta refuses to put on a pistol at a reasonable price.

Yea...but the kit to turn an FS into a G (decock only) is about $50 last I checked.

Don't have to worry about a "dead" trigger after that.

Mec-Gar makes a quality PT-92 mag. I forget the capacity. 17 or 18.

My problem with classic-framed 92's (Beretta and Taurus) is the grip. It's just big enough to cause grip issues for me.

And the HK LEM trigger in a more compact gun has won me over. If I get a full-size 9mm pistol it's going to be another HK P30 but full-size. If I wanted another full size striker gun it would be a VP9 (9mm) or S&W 2.0. (9mm or 10 mm)

The PT92 needs to be pretty inexpensive to undercut the Beretta's. Especially with the neat A4 version. Railed, optic ready, slim grip panels, smaller Vertec grip frame.

Slater
04-16-22, 15:23
With the inflation nowadays, the PT-92 isn't the deal it once was unless you can find a sale.

Ricardo China
04-20-22, 21:03
I had a PT940 in the past, witch is a PT92 in .40S&W.
Not bad guns, but grip is BIG for my small hands, heavy overall and the trigger is far from great.
Overall, I moved to Glocks and never looked back.
All in all, when somebody asks me about witch handgun to buy, I say... go Glock.

1986s4
04-21-22, 08:03

My thought too and I don't have a problem with the slide mounted safety. As for Taurus, I had an early model PT1911, when they were very cheap. It ran quite well, no complaints and I was able to sell it for the same price I bought it for a couple of years later since their value had risen. I was my first 1911 and it made a favorable impression on me for the 1911 design.

kwb377
04-21-22, 14:02

Was the QC ever suspect with the 92-series Taurus's?

A used matte-nickel PT92 was the first handgun I bought when I turned 21 @ 1992. I put untold thousands of rounds through it trouble-free before I sold it because it was "just a Taurus". I've looked at getting another for nostalgia's sake, but they're pretty proud of those now.

Pretty hard to mess up the functioning and reliability of the Beretta 92 design. I've had a few 80's vintage Taurus's (92, 66, 689, 85), never an issue with any...as reliable as any other fireamr I've owned and more accurate than most.

A newer designed/produced Taurus? F' that...

I bought a G3 last year and that thing was the absolute steamiest pile o' stuff I've ever owned.

I had a PT940 in the past, witch is a PT92 in .40S&W.

The PT100 is a PT92 in .40S&W. The PT940 was a related design.

Slater
04-21-22, 18:11
The PT 92 seems to have been defect free enough to avoid a recall. This hasn't been the case with many of their other models, though. From US civilian users to US and Brazilian Police. Of course, Taurus is hardly alone when it comes to recalls.

https://gunaccidentjournal.net/2021/01/18/the-taurus-pistol-defect/

HKGuns
04-21-22, 20:07
Anything made by Taurus is a hard pass for me personally.

I’d probably rather have a Turk than a Taurus.

blade_68
08-11-22, 15:29
Dang I missed this thread when it was fresh, I got one about 20 years ago, higher magazine capacity out of box. 17 rnds. Plus safety location, grip panels suck been a no frills fully functional reliable. I'd probably trust it further than the 92FS I got that's a Italian made. I've had great experience with it, seems to be higher quality than the original. Other than plastic grip panels.

Slater
08-11-22, 16:31
Decided to take the plunge and picked this up from my FFL the other day. Came in a basic cardboard box, but didn't these used to be shipped in a plastic case? Slide is marked "PT 92 AF-D". Came with two 17 round mags marked "Made In Brazil". This is the sole PT-92 model listed in Taurus' 2022 catalog, so maybe they're on the way out?

https://i.imgur.com/mgl45cSl.jpg

Bret
08-11-22, 16:59
That looks great. Let us know how it shoots.

Bret
08-11-22, 18:09
Don't forget about the compact version of the PT 92. It's called the PT 911, though they no longer import it. They made this version with a closed slide for some reason.
https://i.postimg.cc/nhzGNwjR/Taurus-PT-911-right-view.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Ghzj712T/Taurus-PT-911-left-view.jpg

Came in a basic cardboard box, but didn't these used to be shipped in a plastic case?
I bought mine over five years ago and it came in a box.

grip panels suck been a no frills fully functional reliable.
My PT 92 came with rubber grip panels.

Slater
08-11-22, 18:18
Taurus nowadays seems to be focused on their compact guns (G3 series, GX4, etc.). From what I can tell, they appear to be selling well.

AndyLate
08-13-22, 04:52
The Girsan 92 copy uses 92 mags, that is enough for me to pick it over the Taurus. That said there are a LOT of happy Taurus PT-92 owners in the world.

Andy

AndyLate
08-13-22, 04:56
Taurus overall doesn't have a good reputation, but these pistols are made on machinery that was originally setup by Beretta. I like my PT92 so much that I bought a PT911. It's basically like a Beretta compact without the open top slide.

I think its safe to say the machinery set up by Beretta has been worn out and replaced by now :)

Andy

ShipWreck
08-13-22, 23:08
I think its safe to say the machinery set up by Beretta has been worn out and replaced by now :)

Andy

Yep, they are not using those old machines 40 years later.

Combat_Diver
08-14-22, 02:51
My FIL loaned me his nickeled/chromed PT92 several years ago. I modified several surplus M9 mags for it by just cutting a new notch. Those mags would then work in either arm. Dropped in a M9 barrel/locking block and it worked also. Remember the Taurus is just a original Beretta 92 design. No letter after the designation ie -S, -F, -FS etc.

CD

ST911
08-14-22, 08:07
I modified several surplus M9 mags for it by just cutting a new notch. Those mags would then work in either arm.

Years ago, someone offered a jig/template for making that mod. Anyone remember who/where?

AndyLate
08-14-22, 08:17
My FIL loaned me his nickeled/chromed PT92 several years ago. I modified several surplus M9 mags for it by just cutting a new notch. Those mags would then work in either arm. Dropped in a M9 barrel/locking block and it worked also. Remember the Taurus is just a original Beretta 92 design. No letter after the designation ie -S, -F, -FS etc.

CD

I did not know the Taurus can use the Beretta locking block.

I remember the first PT92s had the mag release located at the base of the grip and a frame mounted safety. I am certain they are directly compatible

AndyLate
08-14-22, 08:21

CD

I did not know the Taurus can use the Beretta locking block.

I remember the first PT92s had the mag release located at the base of the grip and a frame mounted safety. I am certain they are directly compatible with the Beretta mags.

I really wanted one after a 1980s glowing review in Guns and Ammo. From everything I have heard since, the G&A article was accurate.

Andy

Combat_Diver
08-16-22, 03:12
Years ago, someone offered a jig/template for making that mod. Anyone remember who/where?

I measured the distance down from the feedlips at the time, tedious task. Simpler solution is to remove the mag catch on the Taurus, insert surplus M9 mag, and mark mag thru mag catch hole. I also modified M9 mags in Afghanistan for Tisas select fire pistols and S&W SW9E. Same modified mag works in same gun. SIG 226/M9 mag bodies are also the same, just cut new notch to work in both pistols.

CD

08-16-22, 04:52
I measured the distance down from the feedlips at the time, tedious task. Simpler solution is to remove the mag catch on the Taurus, insert surplus M9 mag, and mark mag thru mag catch hole. I also modified M9 mags in Afghanistan for Tisas select fire pistols and S&W SW9E. Same modified mag works in same gun. SIG 226/M9 mag bodies are also the same, just cut new notch to work in both pistols.

CD

When I was carrying a M11/226 out forward, my armorer gave me a couple modified M9 mags to use as reloads. I think it was a common practice.