PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the new LaRue/VTAC sling?

RHR
11-17-06, 13:13
What do you think of it? I saw it on TOS and it looks interesting.

Akoni
11-17-06, 13:27
Without actually having tried one out, I don't like the loose strap and the wide section.

mcgrubbs
11-17-06, 14:51
I have one. It works well. The "wide section" is quite comfy and distributes the weight over a larger area.

As far as the "loose strap", I assume you mean the adjustment strap. I haven't found a problem with it.

It was brought about by two smart men with real user input. It is hard-built and simple to use, and was tailor-made for use with LaRue rails. It comes with two heavy duty sling swivels already installed. All you need to do is plug each swivel into the built-in swivel socket and the socket on your stock, respectively.

C4IGrant
11-17-06, 15:50
As a dealer for the VT, I will say that I do not care much for the webbing used (feels cheap). I also don't like the quick adjust buckle much. I do like that they added a padded section in the LT model.

The best sling on the market IMHO is the BFG Vickers. Best materials and execution I have seen.

C4

LBG375
11-17-06, 23:04
I use the regular Viking Tatics sling. It's been very dependable for me here training, and in use overseas. I haven't used the Vikers sling, but I haven't found any faults with the Viking sling except for the thin webbing throughout the sling. It dug into my neck when wearing body armor. The new Larue/Vtac sling seems to correct for that by adding some padding. I'm going to try it out and see how I like it. I have no doubts that I'll like it. I'm a firm believer in using what works for you. The Viking Tactics works for me, maybe it'll work for you, or maybe you'll prefer something else.

Mojo58
11-18-06, 15:57
I haven't used the Vikers sling, but I haven't found any faults with the Viking sling except for the thin webbing throughout the sling. It dug into my neck when wearing body armor.

That's also my only complaint with the Viking Tactics sling. I don't care much for the larger padded feature when carrying the lightweight M4. Sometimes it slides down inbetween my armor and my neck it rubs uncomfortably. I would have preferred a wider sling overall much like the width of the Vikers (which I just received in the mail this week).

Chris Poston
11-19-06, 08:53
Grant,

An honest opinion from a dealer ! Now thats cool.

Pat_Rogers
11-19-06, 09:05
I have been using the Viking Tactics slings- padded and not- on some of my company guns for about a year now. I have 5 of the VTAC/LarueTac on some guns as well, and used them recently at the Memphis PD class last week (see the Memphis AAR on 10-8 for additional).
I also have some of the BlueForce Gear Contractor slings on several guns.
All of the above are good slings.
Both Kyle Lamb and Ashely Burnsed support EAG classes.

My interest in the VTAC came from the fact that they are in widespread use in SOF. Every mil class i run has a lot of the VTAC slings.

Some observations.
The adjustment strap- while looking strange- is not a problem. I have asked several hundred users if they ever had any issues with that strap catching on things etc. I have not heard of one single incident. Doesn't mean it didn't happen; i just haven't heard or seen it.
Kyle Lamb- who is a genuine good guy and very sharp- stated he made the slings longer to accommodate all users, and the option is to cut and sear anything that exceeds your length. I do just that.
He also made the sling at that length to run from the rear of the buttstock to the front of the rail.
I have heard nothing to indicate that the webbing is "weak" or will not stand up to the work.
I can break anything, and have left a trail of DOA EOTechs, S&B's and other items commonly found on carbines, and haven't broken a VTAC sling yet.

Contrary to some posts, the pad has always been an option with the VTAC sling. Like it or not, many do and many don't.
Mojo- unsure as to what you consider lightweight or heavy, but the sling was made with gunfighter's in mind. That means mission essential equipment will be present. Day and night optics, red lights, IR illuminators and laser aiming dots, M203's etc.
In other words, the user community has a requirement that is significantly different from hobby shooters.

Mark Larue changed his rails to include a sling socket at the rear at the request of the user community. They prefer to have the sling run from the rear of the rail to the rear of the receiver. Changing an existing and very popular product was not done without a lot of forethought (That he did it is one of the reasons that Mark stand at the top of my list of good guys in a business infected with lesser people).
I have felt that way for years, and requested that Jeff Cahill at TangoDown make a better sling loop at that location 3 years ago without modifying the weapon. The PR-4 and PR-16 are the result, and while not inexpensive neither do they require removing the receiver extension- a time consuming task- to replace the stock receiver endplate with one with a loop.

I have used a variety of rail grabber loops from Brownells to place on the rail (The MI MCTAR-08 is very nice)

The VTAC/ Larue Tactical sling gives you a ready to use sling out of the bag. (someone described it as "plug and play"). The front end has a sewn in sling loop. The aft end uses tri glide buckles to secure the push button loop. If you use a MagPul CTR it has a socket on the rear. The MagPul UBR has sockets fore and aft (a very nice stock BTW- we used one last week at the Memphis class also).
If you are using a Crane stock you can unthread the rear end, remove the swivel, and thread the webbing through the stock at the back.
I prefer the PR-4 as i like the sling attached at the rear of the receiver.

What may or may not fit on other stocks i don't know. I use only MagPul and Crane on my company guns.

Akoni- making decisions without having used or even touched something means you are basing usefulness on appearance. That is not a good thing, no matter if you are referring to women of guns and related equipment. You have an opinion, but it is based on- nothing.

The VTAC/ LarueTac was made with a target community in mind. It is a modification of a sling long used by a specific community.
It fits my needs for a tactical two point sling. I use BlueForce or The Wilderness for single points. They fit my needs for a single point sling.
All of my three points are being gathered up for disposal, while keeping some for representative articles.
Base your needs on your requirements and the usefulness of that equipment, not on nocturnal emissions and internet babble.
Whatever you decide on is useful only if you have the experience and training necessary to use it efficiently.
Otherwise, it is only so much bling...

jmart
11-19-06, 10:32
Pat,

Thanks for your feedback, but I do have one question.

Are you seeing twisting being an issue with the dual swivel setup? Reason I ask is there's been a couple of threads over at LF about this type of setup in the last couple of months, discussing the merits of having swivels at both the front and rear mounting point positions. A couple of posters said that in practice, they didn't like it becasue the sling would twist and sometimes it was a pain to get into. Consequently they recommended to go with a fixed loop for the rear mounting point and a quick release swivel up front. They just felt it worked better that way.

Your thoughts?

Pat_Rogers
11-19-06, 11:04
Yes, the sling can get twisted. Yes, i would sometimes prefer that the swivels had an overtravel feature to keep that from happening.

However, it has not yet been a problem to me. I'll advise if it is, and what steps i have taken to mitigate any aggravation.

mcgrubbs
11-19-06, 11:21
LaRue builds their rails with a "stop" in the swivel socket. This helps keep the sling from getting in a bind.

Pat_Rogers
11-19-06, 11:33
Thanks Monty!
forgot about that and my one rail with the socket is in getting rebarreled, so no hands on to verify.

C4IGrant
11-19-06, 12:00
Pat,

Thanks for your feedback, but I do have one question.

Are you seeing twisting being an issue with the dual swivel setup? Reason I ask is there's been a couple of threads over at LF about this type of setup in the last couple of months, discussing the merits of having swivels at both the front and rear mounting point positions. A couple of posters said that in practice, they didn't like it becasue the sling would twist and sometimes it was a pain to get into. Consequently they recommended to go with a fixed loop for the rear mounting point and a quick release swivel up front. They just felt it worked better that way.

Your thoughts?

I have seen some twisting issues when two swivels are used. I mount the front of the sling in either the LT provided slot in the rail or a MI #6 and a DD/VLTOR receiver plate. This config has seemed to cure twisting issues.

C4

C4IGrant
11-19-06, 12:01
LaRue builds their rails with a "stop" in the swivel socket. This helps keep the sling from getting in a bind.

Yep, for folks with older LT rails (like me) or another brand can use the MI #6 (which doesn't swivel).

C4

C4IGrant
11-19-06, 12:06
Grant,

An honest opinion from a dealer ! Now thats cool.

I try and be honest as possible (even if it means getting a letter from a companies lawyer). :rolleyes:

To back up what Pat has said, there are a lot SOF users of the VT sling. I recently sold some to USAF Pararescue so I know they are out there.

C4

jmart
11-19-06, 12:13
I have seen some twisting issues when two swivels are used. I mount the front of the sling in either the LT provided slot in the rail or a MI #6 and a DD/VLTOR receiver plate. This config has seemed to cure twisting issues.

C4

That's what I saw, Burnseed Loop receiver endplate being used as the rear attachment point. Some folks used a short stub with QR fastex buckle there with a swivel front or they used fastex buckles at both points. They seemed to like the buckle at the rear because it lengthed the sling enough to place the sling adjuster at a more comfortable position. I guess without it you had to reach around behind the back.

Akoni
11-19-06, 13:36
Akoni- making decisions without having used or even touched something means you are basing usefulness on appearance. That is not a good thing, no matter if you are referring to women of guns and related equipment. You have an opinion, but it is based on- nothing.

I did not make any comments regarding the utility or quality of this product. I did not imply that I have used one. Did my comment add to the body of knowledge with regards to this product? No. Is my opinion based on nothing? No, unless intuition, intelligence and preferece are to be considered "nothing".

V/R,
Anthony

ps. See you in a month.

Pat_Rogers
11-19-06, 14:01
Looking forward to FL!!

Mojo58
11-19-06, 17:11
Contrary to some posts, the pad has always been an option with the VTAC sling. Like it or not, many do and many don't.
Mojo- unsure as to what you consider lightweight or heavy, but the sling was made with gunfighter's in mind. That means mission essential equipment will be present. Day and night optics, red lights, IR illuminators and laser aiming dots, M203's etc.
In other words, the user community has a requirement that is significantly different from hobby shooters.

I wasn't criticizing the VTAC. I'm only stating my personal preference. As for the pad, it was my understanding from the literature on Kyle's website that it was originally designed for the heavier rifles:
The Viking Tactics, Inc. wide padded sling was developed after listening to feedback from our customers. Customers with heavier firearms wanted a wider, more comfortable sling with the same great features of the original Viking Tactics, Inc. sling.

The Viking Tactics wide sling is made with a shoulder strap with closed cell foam for increased comfort. The forward adjustable portion of the sling remains the same as the original sling, giving you quick, easy adjustments from any position.

I'd gladly purchase another standard width VTAC sling (not just because they're simple to use and they work but also because their customer service is outstanding).

With all the talk of this Vickers sling being an improvement on the Viking Tactics, I just had to check it out.

Pat_Rogers
11-19-06, 18:13
Understood Mojo. Weight is subjective of course, but 10 lbs of lightweight rifle is still a pain to carry for any amount of time. The sling was of course originally designed for M4 types, and conversations led me to understand that it was directed to a mission capable M4 type.
Whatever, i like the sling (subjectively) and consider it to be a very useful 2 point sling.

Mark LaRue
11-19-06, 18:16
Hi all,

The Viking sling speaks for itself. We wanted an out-of-the-bag solution to plug-and-play with. We are comfortable that we got it.

It is quite possible that the VT/LT may not be nirvana of slings...but folks are voting with their wallet and buying plenty of 'em. :-)

Mark LaRue

RHR
11-19-06, 19:10
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try one.

nyeti
11-22-06, 02:45
Uh.........ditto Pat. I just got mine, and I am so far very impressed with the product. On a lighter rifle I like the GRSC SWAT sling set up. For the LMT MRP that I have the LaRue VTAC on, I like the pad and the adjustability. On true fighting guns that get carried alot, everyday, with a bunch of ancillery accesories on them, this sling is a good choice. I also use the TD4 at the rear, and I like the plug in capability, and the ability to quickly switch the sling to the right side to run the gun "lefty" when I have to demo stuff during classes left handed for "the 12% club".

Pat_Rogers
11-22-06, 04:42
Brother B...Errr it is a PR 4. I'm not quite sure what the Alpha means, but for some reason it sticks in my mind...

VA_Dinger
11-25-06, 00:19
How is it different than the two point VTAC has been selling for years?

C4IGrant
11-25-06, 07:49
How is it different than the two point VTAC has been selling for years?

I think they might have shortened up the sling a bit and then added two UM's swivels. I am told that the pad option was always there.

Those folks that already have this sling could simply add two sling swivels and have the same thing.

C4

Voodoochild
11-25-06, 11:01
I believe it is already put together and is able to snap directly into Larues rails and the new CTR stock. But that might not be anything new.

C4IGrant
11-25-06, 11:31
I believe it is already put together and is able to snap directly into Larues rails and the new CTR stock. But that might not be anything new.

Put together?? You mean threaded the ends through the swivel and back into the bracket??

C4

jmart
11-25-06, 19:41
Assuming you have quick release mounts on your weapon, it's a truly "plug-and-play" sling. The sling is already threaded through the QR swivels. Just snap the sling on the QR attachment points fore and aft, and then all you have to do is adjust. No threading nylon through swivels or tri-glides or anything.

I see the LaRue rail has a built in swivel stop that limits swivel rotation to something like 20 degrees or so. But if you aren't running a LaRue rail, and you are using something like a MI attachment point on a non-LaRue rail, then it can swivel around and twist. Not sure what provisions exists for receiver extension or stock mounting points, i.e., if you are plugging into a Magpul or Vltor, will the swivel twist? What about a PR-4/16, would they allow the swivel to twist?

Pat_Rogers
11-26-06, 03:53
To the best of my knowledge, only the Larue socket will limit travel.
All others will rotate 360. This may or may not be an issue to you.
I have been running a VTAC using the push in sling loops on a PR-4 and an MI #8 for a while now. It wasn't a biggie for me.
Running the new sling on the new Larue rail is nicer.
Mark will have a socket that will attach to existing rails out soon. It will have the limited travel.

C4IGrant
11-26-06, 13:10
Assuming you have quick release mounts on your weapon, it's a truly "plug-and-play" sling. The sling is already threaded through the QR swivels. Just snap the sling on the QR attachment points fore and aft, and then all you have to do is adjust. No threading nylon through swivels or tri-glides or anything.

I see the LaRue rail has a built in swivel stop that limits swivel rotation to something like 20 degrees or so. But if you aren't running a LaRue rail, and you are using something like a MI attachment point on a non-LaRue rail, then it can swivel around and twist. Not sure what provisions exists for receiver extension or stock mounting points, i.e., if you are plugging into a Magpul or Vltor, will the swivel twist? What about a PR-4/16, would they allow the swivel to twist?

If you had a non LT rail and say a SOPMOD stock, you could mount the MI #6 (not QD, but doesn't spin either) and a DD CAR Loop receiver plate (I run this setup). There is no rotational concerns with this setup.

C4

Mark LaRue
11-28-06, 08:15
Assuming you have quick release mounts on your weapon, it's a truly "plug-and-play" sling.

Not sure what provisions exists for receiver extension or stock mounting points, i.e., if you are plugging into a Magpul or Vltor, will the swivel twist? What about a PR-4/16, would they allow the swivel to twist?

Hey all,

Thanks for entertaining our new sling. We needed something to best utilize the built-in swivel sockets in our handguards and Magpul stocks.

The Magpul stock was intentionally designed to prevent rotation. When "plugged-in", the push-button SS is crowded-up against the stock, thus preventing any rotation. The LT-proprietary built-in non-rotation sockets are self-explanatory..

The easy-to-spot difference between this and the standard VTAC is our Fastex Quick Release with the sewn-in PBSS. The length changes are subtle, but can be seen with a ruler. In a nutshell, it's a custom model of Viking's already excellent VTAC design.

M. LaRue

nyeti
11-29-06, 00:34
Brother B...Errr it is a PR 4. I'm not quite sure what the Alpha means, but for some reason it sticks in my mind...

Too much gear.........too many part numbers.............its all running together..........Life is good.

Pat_Rogers
11-29-06, 06:08
Too much gear??/ Say it ain't so Brother!!!
The PR thing keeps me focused on that particular item.
Sorta' like a very cool Strider Knife that has the initials of a friend....

Aubrey
11-29-06, 11:38
Too much gear??/ Say it ain't so Brother!!!
The PR thing keeps me focused on that particular item.
Sorta' like a very cool Strider Knife that has the initials of a friend....

Yeah, when is Strider going to introduce an Irish "PR" model? 2-1/2" blade, coyote G-10 Gunner scales, Multicam Eagle sheath? :D

Pat_Rogers
11-29-06, 12:33
Oh Aubrey...
How deep the knife...
I am hurt, truly hurt!

QuietShootr
11-29-06, 19:28
LMFAO!!

nyeti
11-29-06, 22:58
That was totally wrong Aubrey, and you should be ashamed of yourself............

Thanks for the info Pat, it is all perfectly clear now, and that is one part number I won't mess up again.

Aubrey
12-03-06, 12:15
OK; I AM ashamed and have been struggling with how to redeem myself. I've settled on the following modifications to the original concept:

Strider Irish+ "PR-L" model: 3" double-edged blade, coyote G-10 Gunner scales, Multicam Eagle sheath with external pouch (for Vagisil tube :eek: ) AND a kydex IWB sheath :D.

I'd buy one.