PDA

View Full Version : Stinger missile replacement effort begins

Slater
04-14-22, 18:08
After 40 years or so, it's probably about time:

"The US Army Program Executive Office, Missiles and Space, Project Manager, Short and Intermediate Effectors for Layered Defense (SHIELD) is conducting research to identify potential interested sources with the capability to provide a new surface-to-air* missile, referred to as Maneuver Short Range Air Defense Increment 3 (M-SHORAD Inc. 3), to meet increasing demand and growing threat capability.

The Stinger- Reprogrammable Microprocessor (RMP) will become obsolete in fiscal year (FY) 2023 and Stinger Block I is undergoing a service life extension to extend its end of useful life. The current Stinger inventory is in decline. The Army plans to begin design, development, and test of a replacement missile in FY23 leading to the production of 10,000 M-SHORAD Inc. 3 missiles beginning in FY27."

https://sam.gov/opp/62eeb07d14a0464abebf7923370670d8/view

czgunner
04-14-22, 18:14
I was ADA from 02-06. Interesting to see they are finally updating.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Alpha-17
04-15-22, 07:25
Makes sense. We're getting updated field experience (second hand, anyway) on them now, so let's figure out a way to improve them or their replacements.

sgtrock82
04-15-22, 11:05
Aww man, guess I'm old and obsolete now.
Seems like just yesterday that the RMP was the new hotness. (Sniffle)

I kinda miss the dome.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

glocktogo
04-15-22, 12:28
Aww man, guess I'm old and obsolete now.
Seems like just yesterday that the RMP was the new hotness. (Sniffle)

I kinda miss the dome.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

You think you're old and obsolete? I was shooting up outdated Redeye missiles to make room for the brand new FIM-92 in inventory! LOL